2010 First Round Re-do - Hawks take...

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
Gronkowski and Washington?

Navarro Bowman 2nd overall?

Hilariously bad retrospective. No understanding of the Seahawks needs at the time and how Pete Carroll builds teams. How does an ILB and TE build a franchise?

Other than the fact that there is no way anyone in their right mind would trade Okung for Gronk at this point, I am certain that we would not have passed on Eric Berry at the 14th overall pick if he were available - even now. Safeties hang around a long time. LBs should basically never be taken in the first round (save 3-4 rush ends).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... gronkowski

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
At least the guy admits Thomas was much more elite than Berry, but while he says he's re-doing based upon need, he absolutely underestimates the Seahawks critical NEED to have a LT. Our O-line was in shambles and Carroll knew what he was doing when he addressed it in his first two drafts.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
pretty dumb but as stated there's not much of a point to these, just writers trying to justify their offseason paychecks.

Okung and Thomas are great. As much as I'd love gronk in a hawks uniform I wouldn't trade either for him.

The pick of a LB is nonsense, I've never been high on LB's in a draft, though I was admittedly tricked into being happy about the curry pick. I've just been always convinced a good defense starts with a good secondary that takes away your passing game, and then a good line that can stop the run. LB's to me should compensate for deficiencies in either group. Hence why I'm hoping we pick up Chase Thomas in RD 3-5 at some point. He's not going to blow anyone a way with his measurables but he's smart and can help either group out.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Why would anyone trade Okung for Gronkowski? That just doesn't make sense. I don't think any team would do that, especially after a few years of both playing. Okung is a very good LT. You could argue he's one of the best in the game right now. Those are hard to find, they go in the top half of the first round for a reason. No serious NFL coach or GM would EVER value a TE over a LT that plays the way Okung does. Well, maybe Al Davis or Jerry Jones would, or maybe Tim Ruskell, but no intelligent winning coach or GM would ever consider that trade.

I guarantee if you offered Okung to NE on a trade, they'd give you Gronk AND a couple high picks. Just shows these writers generally know less about the game than casual fans.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Nice to see Kam go in the first round this time through.

Rat

Reaction score
Gronkowski is great, but seem to be hurt too much, and that's too high to take any TE anyway. As important as LT is, the only guys still on the board at #6 that I think you could come up with any argument to take ahead of Okung are Geno Atkins and Jason-Pierre Paul.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
We would probably take Williams then Berry if everything else actually played out like that.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
BirdsCommaAngry":3bcdmi6z said:
We would probably take Williams then Berry if everything else actually played out like that.

thats what i was thinking when it said Thomas was gone i was thinking it would have the Hawks getting Berry, i guess in made up land of writers things dont always have to make sense.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Sorry but ill take Gronk over Okung. He is the best TE in the NFL and its not even close. I like Okung a lot, and it would be ashame to just miss out on him with our second first rounder, but Gronk has generational talent. Can't be a homer on this one

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Two monumenta 1st roundl hits to start your franchise rebuild with a new regime. You can't ask for more. But we got more, by getting Kam so late. What a great Draft. How cool would it have been to get Gronk in the 2nd though?

3Girls'HawkDad

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":2w1vn4k6 said:
Sorry but ill take Gronk over Okung. He is the best TE in the NFL and its not even close. I like Okung a lot, and it would be ashame to just miss out on him with our second first rounder, but Gronk has generational talent. Can't be a homer on this one

No he isn't. He has Tom Brady. Is he better than Whitten? To put him on par with the original Kellen Winslow? Dude is the modern day Todd Christensen. Sans Jerry curl mullet.

Okung is a ProBowl LT. EVERY team wants that.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":4vmiomfd said:

Homer? If you can't keep your QB upright or healthy long enough to throw to guys like Gronk, what's the point? I think you're putting the chicken before the egg here. Yeah, let's get a TE when our OL's in shambles..that'll fix everything. I'm mean the table was set, right? All we needed was TE to put us over the top :34853_doh: OL players are over valued anyhow. :p Are you any relation to Timmaaay Ruskell? :?

Beer Hawk

Reaction score
So Sam Bradford still goes first and Demarrius Thomas, Joe Haden and NaVarro Bowman (2nd overall??) go before Russell Okung.... Does this guy even follow the NFL?

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":36p1r613 said:
Missing_Clink":36p1r613 said:

Homer? If you can't keep your QB upright or healthy long enough to throw to guys like Gronk, what's the point? I think you're putting the chicken before the egg here. Yeah, let's get a TE when our OL's in shambles..that'll fix everything. I'm mean the table was set, right? All we needed was TE to put us over the top :34853_doh: OL players are over valued anyhow. :p Are you any relation to Timmaaay Ruskell? :?

Guarantee I saw the writing on the wall about Timmay before 95% of the posters on here. Anyways, like I said, I like Okung a lot, but I think Gronk is on another level as a weapon in the offense. The Cards needed a LT too when they took Levi Brown. Think they might rather have Adrian Peterson? I'm taking the more talented player between the two. That's all. Nothing personal against Okung (who was the player I most wanted in the draft that year by the way)

Giedi

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":3i0s9hks said:
These things are always interesting to look at but ultimately make no sense much like power rankings.
I agree. It's just something to do in the off season when there isn't any football going on. Hindsight is always 20/20. The real key for great coaches is to have that 20/20 *foresight*.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Giedi":11whfcfp said:
KCHawkGirl":11whfcfp said:
These things are always interesting to look at but ultimately make no sense much like power rankings.
I agree. It's just something to do in the off season when there isn't any football going on. Hindsight is always 20/20. The real key for great coaches is to have that 20/20 *foresight*.

I think there are lessons to be learned for the future from hindsight, such as: what are the characteristics of players that ultimately became higher-quality starters than projected based on what round they were taken?

Pete and John have already shown great--not omniscient, but uncanny--ability to spot "functional" talent and work ethic. I would bet they learn from the draft picks that didn't work out as well as those that have.

chris98251

Reaction score
TE that gets the ball 1 in 5 plays versus a Left Tackle that protects the QB and opens holes every play, I take LT every day, I suppose you could go back to the Jones and Springs draft which is reasonable close and justify a pass on Jones for Gonzalez also.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":24rqq0gx said:
HawKnPeppa":24rqq0gx said:
Missing_Clink":24rqq0gx said:

Guarantee I saw the writing on the wall about Timmay before 95% of the posters on here. Anyways, like I said, I like Okung a lot, but I think Gronk is on another level as a weapon in the offense. The Cards needed a LT too when they took Levi Brown. Think they might rather have Adrian Peterson? I'm taking the more talented player between the two. That's all. Nothing personal against Okung (who was the player I most wanted in the draft that year by the way)
Ditto with seeing Timmy for who he was and there's a few here that will back me up (Dr. Diags, kearly, etc.). As for Gronk v. Okung I'm with the other folks here disagreeing with you. I go with Russ cuz it's a far more important position than TE.

themunn

Reaction score
HansGruber":3oed8lf1 said:
Why would anyone trade Okung for Gronkowski? That just doesn't make sense. I don't think any team would do that, especially after a few years of both playing. Okung is a very good LT. You could argue he's one of the best in the game right now. Those are hard to find, they go in the top half of the first round for a reason. No serious NFL coach or GM would EVER value a TE over a LT that plays the way Okung does. Well, maybe Al Davis or Jerry Jones would, or maybe Tim Ruskell, but no intelligent winning coach or GM would ever consider that trade.

I guarantee if you offered Okung to NE on a trade, they'd give you Gronk AND a couple high picks. Just shows these writers generally know less about the game than casual fans.

I don't agree with that.

First off Gronk shouldn't be looked at as a TE because he's a 1000 yard a season 10+ TD receiver essentially, and WRs are valued almost as highly as LTs.

Look at the 2007 draft, Calvin Johnson 2nd, Joe Thomas 3rd.
Gronk is just about as valuable as Megatron IMO, if not moreso. He may not get as many yards, but 38 TDs in 43 games is an otherworldly rate.

That said, Seattle didn't just have any old need for an LT, it was arguably the weakest position on the team with Ray Willis and Sean Locklear our starting tackles in 2009, so there's no way we'd have picked Gronkowski at 6 unless we were sure either Trent Williams or Okung fell to us at 14th (or we were prepared to trade up, swap that 4th round pick we spent on EJ Manuel to move up 2 picks?)