Question regarding the new helmet rule

Aristotle22

Reaction score
I was watching a Robert Turbin highlight on Youtube of the Atlanta Game. It was a play where he caught a swing pass out of the backfield he got down to the 5 or so. Both the DB and Turbin dropped their helmets. Is that offsetting penalties? Anxious to see how this plays out.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Aristotle22":36rfvt8s said:
I was watching a Robert Turbin highlight on Youtube of the Atlanta Game. It was a play where he caught a swing pass out of the backfield he got down to the 5 or so. Both the DB and Turbin dropped their helmets. Is that offsetting penalties? Anxious to see how this plays out.

Unless i'm mistaken, the lowering of the helmet is a new rule for the offense. The defensive lowering of the helmet was already on the books. So if the defensive player in that vid lowered his helmet illegally there would have been a flag. If there wasn't, it wouldn't be offsetting because presumably the only Turbin would have committed a penalty.

But remember, it's not lowering the helmet that's against the rule. It's lowering to the point that you hit with the crown of the helmet.

It's really not worth worrying about until we see how it's called on the field and give the league a chance to make sure the refs are enforcing the rule correctly.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Did he spear him with the top of his head? Or was he just protecting himself and lowered his head into the contact? If the first, its a penalty, if the 2nd, its nothing.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2kfc82pa said:
Did he spear him with the top of his head? Or was he just protecting himself and lowered his head into the contact? If the first, its a penalty, if the 2nd, its nothing.

I'm honestly wondering how any official is going to differentiate these two things at game speed. Seems to me a lowered head is going to look like a lowered head regardless of intent.

Basically, I just really hate this rule.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1t0ropq7 said:
JSeahawks":1t0ropq7 said:

I'm honestly wondering how any official is going to differentiate these two things at game speed. Seems to me a lowered head is going to look like a lowered head regardless of intent.

I dunno, seems pretty simple and obvious to me. Especially when you consider it will be in the open field, since the rule is not in effect inside the tackle box.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I understand where you draw the line during instant replay with slow motion. But I've seen Lynch lower his head in the open field and deliver a blow to the defender on many occasions (e.g. end of his first TD run against the Niners at home), and I don't think the distinction between lowering the head and slamming a guy vs. leading with crown is as easy to draw at game speed. Hope I'm wrong.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Only way Goddell could try and stop the HAwks from a Sb was to limit's Lynch and M-Rob form bulldozing over defenders and making them not want to play us anymore.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Wenhawk":2k1gq39y said:
Only way Goddell could try and stop the HAwks from a Sb was to limit's Lynch and M-Rob form bulldozing over defenders and making them not want to play us anymore.

Please stop with the assinine "Goodell" Comments. Hinting that eveything bad is Goodell's fault. Goodell doesn't have the power to make any rule. The competition committee made up of coaches and others vote on these rules.

If you want to blame someone blame Jeff Fisher- he's one of the main players on the Committee.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Going back to the OP, if both the offensive player and defensive player lower the crown of their helmet outside of the tackle box and contact occurs, indeed, both penalties shuld be called and they would be off-setting... the way that I understand the rule.

razgriz737

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1napy0om said:
JSeahawks":1napy0om said:

I agree completely. Just look at how well the "defenseless player" rule is being enforced.

The league may have good intentions behind introducing this rule, but I fear it will just lead to more bungled calls.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":155s8f9b said:

He lowered his head to protect himself, but used the crown of his head. The rule doesn't care if you are protecting yourself. If you lead with the crown, it's laundry time. Turbin led with the crown. On instinct.

Did I mention I hate this new rule?

In short, the rule requires runners to keep their facemasks up at all times. It might be coachable with enough time and repetition. I guess we'll find out.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
Worst rule ever. We will get burned by it this year, mark my words.

ivotuk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":1dy75fdf said:
Wenhawk":1dy75fdf said:

Please stop with the assinine "Goodell" Comments. Hinting that eveything bad is Goodell's fault. Goodell doesn't have the power to make any rule. The competition committee made up of coaches and others vote on these rules.

If you want to blame someone blame Jeff Fisher- he's one of the main players on the Committee.

Thank you. I hope the Rams new RB lowers his helmet a lot. Jeff Fisher its basically cheating by helping to create a rule that effects his opponents in the NFCW.

General Manager

Reaction score
If it's only called when i RB rams into a player outside the tackle box one on one it might be ok , i'm just really worried it will be a disaster . Personally i think this rule sucks and could become a lightning rod and will be amended or removed after this season.