Wilson & Sophomore Slump

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Wilson & Sophomore Slump
Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am
  • http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ump-no-way

Asked Tuesday if he's concerned about the dreaded sophomore slump, the Seattle Seahawks' quarterback swatted the thought aside.

"I don't even know those words," Wilson told reporters...
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Re: Wilson & Sophomore Slump
Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:35 am
  • Swag
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:39 am
  • The "sophomore slump" is the result of rookies becoming complacent in their second year. As a rookie, the NFL is new, and often times the drive to succeed is very strong in the first year. In year two, the demands placed on a professional athlete begin to take their toll as free time wanes, and more responsibilities are lumped upon the player. Many crack under the added stress. I just don't see that happening with Russell.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:49 am
  • Russell Wilson is the complete polar opposite of a young player that would be predisposed to have a sophomore slump.

It's not going to happen.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:54 am
  • He's a robot not going to happen.
    Digsbone
    Alaskas Biggest Seahawks fan.
    Digsbone
    NET Rookie

Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:58 am
  • Sweet Brown concurs with Russell Wilson. "Ain't nobody got time fo' dat!"
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02 am
  • From the research I've seen, QBs usually make the biggest jump in performance between years 1 and 2, so as far as I know the "sophomore slump" is a myth.
    formido
    NET Starter

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:16 am
  • formido wrote:From the research I've seen, QBs usually make the biggest jump in performance between years 1 and 2, so as far as I know the "sophomore slump" is a myth.

Sando exposed as much.

Some initial findings: Ten quarterbacks from 2008 through 2011 were regular starters in both their first and second seasons. Five of the 10 posted significantly higher Total QBR scores in their second seasons. Three others posted second-year Total QBR scores that were very similar to their first-season scores. Two others, Bradford and Matt Ryan, posted significantly lower scores in their second seasons.

Ryan was the only one of the bunch with a stellar first-year Total QBR score. His was 74.1 in 2008, well above the 50-point average and among the top few scores in the league. We could say he "slumped" to a 56.6 in his second season, and that is surely what people will say happened if Wilson, Luck or Griffin III aren't as good in 2013 as they were during their sensational 2012 rookie seasons.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... l-thoughts
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:18 am
  • I agree, I don't think Sophomore slump is the right term. I don't think it will happen, but I can see scenarios where Wilson doesn't live up to the godlike expectations the fanbase is putting on him. I'm not completely convinced he is Drew Brees or Tom Brady, yet. He was hugely aided by the running game. Not that he won't be again, but I am not sure he's ready to have the whole lot thrown on his shoulders. Also, teams are going to make adjustments and attempt to make him step up in the pocket rather than allowing him to spin out of it. He just may be slippery enough to get outside anyways, but teams are going to make it more difficult. Since teams have tape on him, he's going to have to make a few adjustments. I have very little doubt that he'll make said adjustments since he is so incredibly studious, but you just never know for sure until you see it.
    Contrary to popular opinion, there are still things he has to address and accomplish before he is considered one of the very best in the game. Again, I have very little doubt that he won't accomplish these things very soon. Some people just achieve.
    I can't see a sophomore slump. His completion percentage should rise automatically through Harvin. The one possible pitfall could be INT's. They come in bunches for young QB's, and it wouldn't take many more than last year to put him in the bottom half of the league in that stat.
    Sophomore slump? Nah. Not taking another step? Doubtful. He's going to take that next step and continue to get better, because that is what Russell Wilson does.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:38 am
  • The only slump he's going to go through is the shoulder slouch when Carroll has to drag him off the field after Seattle puts up another 4 score lead by the 4th quarter.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 am
  • Most QBs improve in year two, especially those with extremely high work ethics.

Wilson finished the season hot. 109 passer rating over his last 13 games. He started cold finished hot. If anything, you'd project a huge follow up year based on that.

Wilson's numbers went up even more when the read option was introduced as a wrinkle. Wilson will get 16 games to benefit from that next year instead of 7.

His team, specifically his offense, is more talented than it was last year.

Nothing he did last year indicated that Wilson was a fluke. Let's not forget either that he holds the single season Div. I record for passer rating in college football.

If people are asking about a sophomore slump, they are asking the wrong questions.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:21 pm
  • He is still even in the off season studying to improve himself. I don't see this happening. My only concern for this next season is injuries, but those can happen anytime.
    Kixkahn
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:12 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:He was hugely aided by the running game.

In his best game as a pro (Atlanta) the running game was non-existent
    themunn
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:17 pm
  • Many of us Seahawk fans are blinded with love and admiration when it comes to our precious Wilson. Delete this article now !! Slumps don't exist for Wilson!
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:48 pm
  • Wilson just isn't a slump type guy. We have never had a QB like this here. Not only is he unique in his ability, but his drive and work ethic are through the roof.
    It is true of this new breed of QB, RW isn't the only one. It is something that the big 3 have in common along with Kaepernick. We don't really know how hard the other guys are working, it is safe to say that they are putting in serious work, but we KNOW how hard RW is.

There isn't a slump in this kid's future. Furthest thing from my mind.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:50 pm
  • Wilson broke the rookie record for consecutive passes completed. He'll break the NFL record this year.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:10 pm
  • RW had a great second half of the year last year.
    He will have a great 1st and 2nd half of the year this year..
    LudwigsDrummer
    US Navy Air VP 56 `74-`78

Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:50 am
  • formido wrote:From the research I've seen, QBs usually make the biggest jump in performance between years 1 and 2, so as far as I know the "sophomore slump" is a myth.

I thought that went for any player really. Once they get it that is.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information