How close have you been to the NFL? (offseason time waster)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

How close to the NFL are you / football experience

(Mere mortal) Just a fan. Nothing more
45%
Played High School Ball
30%
Played College Ball
7%
NFL player (on a roster at all - even if you never made the 53)
4%
I have a friend/family member in the NFL
15%

Total votes : 221

• I played OL/DL in high school but was undersized for college. Switched to broadcasting.

I've met a bunch of Seahawks players; I had a nice ten minute chat with Sherman before last season. Walter Jones is a twitter follower and a very very polite guy. I worked with a guy who was drafted by the Cowboys in the Irvin days and played in Canada. Had some funny as stories and still cut like he could run on the field and get it going again.
    Founding Father of the Bevell-Be-Gone Movement

Currently riding SHOTGUN on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.

Renton Chapter Seahawkers Booster Club
    Section 316 @ CenturyLink Field

Kuendelea Mwewe - Go Hawks
    SilkMonkey
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I was a two way tackle at small high school on the Oregon coast. I came dangerously close to sacking The Moose From Scappoose Derek Anderson once in his senior year (my sophomore), but he read the weak pursuit angle I took after I broke through the line and easily broke through my even weaker attempt at an arm tackle. The dude was a giant even then.

Also my uncle Dale was a scab player for the Seahawks in 1987 coming out of the University of Oregon, before it was cool. By my junior year of high school I had pretty much decided that I wanted to be a musician and not a football player so I wussed out on football, I miss it though and wish I had at least played through high school and maybe a little JC. Anyway, that's the long and short of my NFL contact.
    DanejaHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Brahn wrote:Got a buddy on the Texans practice squad. We are all hoping he can make the team full time this year. We really were hoping he would get a look up here in Seattle but he is doing well in Houston.

Who is he?

Childhood friends with Kevin Matthews, Titans center and son of Bruce Matthews. Their house was ginormous. A couple times I went over to Warren Moon's house.
    Houston Texans fan and realist.
    Vance87
    NET Bench Warmer

• smashmouth59 wrote:I went to Junior High and High School with Brock Huard and Dane Looker. I was always JV while they were a year ahead of me. What was so cool about Brock was he was always a great role model. He was never into clicks and always took time to say hi to youngsters like myself.

Also probably my closest connection was the Huards because I went to Rogers (rival high school at the time). I never played football, but I was in marching band. Damon, I don't really remember much, but I remember Brock was a guy Rogers' students loved to hate (on the football field and the basketball court).

Not an NFL thing, but I am also related not too distantly to the Otton family (Sid, Tumwater football coach and Brad, former USC starting QB). Nice people.
    minormillikin
    NET Veteran

• I played a year of college ball at DIII Ithaca (NY). The guys I played with won the Stagg bowl their senior year. In high school, I once wrestled Tim Green. He played a few years of D-Line with the Falcons. He was the only guy that ever pinned me.
    SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    GO 'HAWKS!!
    WmHBonney
    NET Rookie

• In spite of what anyone has said, I am Brian Bosworth.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Ive hung out with Bob Sapp on occasion in Roppongi. Hooked him up with a girl one night in Club99, the friend of the girl I was out with that night.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• I've driven by both Seahawks Stadium and University of Washington Stadium when the Seahawks were playing there.

I've driven/ridden by the stadium at Denver, and the one at Tampa. Does that count as a connection?

:D
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Cartire wrote:One of my buddies from high school was Cory Procter. He was drafted by the Lions and also played for Dallas.

I worked with Cory's uncle for a few years. He got me an autographed Cowboy's hat from him (now collecting dust in my closet).

I also sat next to Isaiah Stanbach (spelling?) on his way down to meet with Cowboys after the draft. We talked some football shop. He was real cool. He was studying his Dallas playbook for a while. Found out he loved martial arts movies. He had a movie player about the size of a small laptop and asked if I wanted to watch it with him. I kinda said "ah not really", not wanting to impose, and he wouldn't hear of it, so we watched it together.
    Last edited by birdman5 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    birdman5
    NET Rookie

• my cousins ex husband was married to Michael Koenen's mom and I lived up the street from Jake Locker and he would come into m shop every once in a while and I played highschool ball and Semi Pro ball In the 90's
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran

• Great stories so far, and a great topic. I'm going to stay out of the participation though, just so I don't become the ultimate 1-upper!
    Les - "Mark, you're my favorite player"
    Mark - "Mine too!"
    RockHawk
    * NET Landlord *

• NFL player. :th2thumbs:
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• Susitnagal should see this string. She has family in Florida as I recall that had season tickets there and knew someone that knew someone.

:les:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I am just a fan.
    Connection wise, Lance Briggs went to my high school. He kept friends with the schools most popular biology teacher. That teacher brought him into one of our classes one day so we could ask questions and stuff. We were all pretty quiet, there wasn't many questions. I wasn't that into football then, I'd have questions for him now.
    fsmassey
    NET Practice Squad

• My mother used to tailor suits for Jerry Rice and Joe Montana, she didn't know who they were for years.

One of the many managers at this store I used to work with was a 'hawk, poor dude could barely walk because his body was so shot.

Kid I went to high school with plays for the Jets, plays offensive line. Still works out at the gym here during the off season.

Watched Johnathan Stewart destroy my high school team on a couple occasions back in the day.

TPed Adam Vinatieri's parent's house.

Also, I met some Seahawks at a Luncheons when I was in elementary school, got to fake like I was a 'hawk on the field at the Kingdome...it was bad ass.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Had forgotten that I drank beer with Kenny Stabler at local city rec league football while the Oakland Ray-Duhs had him hid out until the draft.

Got to hear lots of storys about Bear Bryant and Alabama from him. I noticed one play he ran to his right, turned and hit a guy about 40 yards downfield clear across the field in stride. Talked to him later to say what a great play that had been. You can imagine the jaw droppings on our groups faces when I said "Kenny Stabler from Alabama?"

Trust me, I never saw him turn away a free drink.

:th2thumbs:
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Cool thread.

I played OT and DT in junior high and high school. I was large and powerful and had tremendous push, but my lateral speed sucked and had a vision handicap. No way for college ball.

Just want to take this moment to say that, IMO, seahawks.net has the most knowledgeable, savvy, users with a high football IQ. I've been reading for years and post infrequently, only because scanning threads yields answers to most of my questions.
    Lieutenant Dan
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I'm not sure if this counts, but I once mooned Doug Farrar.
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

• RockHawk wrote:Great stories so far, and a great topic. I'm going to stay out of the participation though, just so I don't become the ultimate 1-upper!

Spags is far too modest.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Played in high school but coached after for some. We always had a banquet after the season with some guest speakers one year it was Mike Reichenbach LB from the Eagles got to talking to him about the Seahawks and playing in the Kingdom said it was like nothing else with fan support and the noise. Also went the a clinic and Matt Millen was giving a speech on Raiders vs Redskins defensive play calling at Washington they had long names for each lineament at Oakland they had the Cat defensive "I got that cat you get that cat" he did have some great story's and seemed like a he would be a great guy to hang out with. On a side note I stopped coaching and did get certified as a high school official and it is neat to follow some of the players that move on. Did any of you see the you tube video of the official getting hit in the head with the ball this past year on ESPN and David Letterman, looked like he was shot he was from my officials chapter boy did he take a ribbon. In his defense he was to be watching the receiver not the ball.
    GO HAWKS
    CHawk
    NET Practice Squad

• I have been fortunate enough to have a family member (wife's side) as an employee of the Seahawks FO. He has been extremely generous with tickets, on-field access and camp access. My mother, RIP 2/19/2012, was very involved with American Cancer Society and this family member has worked very hard to provide her with auction items like signature balls and jerseys.

I will never repeat his name for his own protection, I would never want anyone in the organization to make a connection between he and my forum antics. He does not provide insider information that is not public, but he has told me to "Keep your eyes open today" when certain transactions were taking place.

I have met players from every team that has visited the Clink and Qwest since 2004 because of this family member and my seats are usually surrounded by players' families. Not usually the same folks either, sometimes a player will have a large group of fans in attendance and you can tell when you see an entire row of them wearing the player's jersey number. There is nothing like the feeling I get when I read an email stating "You are going to make it this weekend right? I have x number of seats left and we need your noise" before a playoff game. I have not ever paid for playoff tickets and I have been to every home playoff game following 2003. It is so cool to go up to the player's family ticket window, show my ID and pick them up. I am very blessed this way and I will do anything I can to help this family member. If it means volunteer work, computer help, anything.

I also drove Patrick Hunter home from a club in Bellevue into the Redmond area. In a White Ford Bronco. :)

Oh! I forgot to add that in October of 2007, I bought the wife a 2008 Nissan Armada that came with every option available. I was up at the Kirkland facility meeting this family member and he was talking to me next to the new vehicle. Josh Wilson walked right up to it and asked if he could check it out. He hadn't bought his "luxury SUV" yet and sat in the vehicle, checked out the audio and video, showed him the voice control and he bought one!

It was a pretty cool moment for me.
    Eh... Whatever...
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• Sometimes, I lean real close to the radio. I can get pretty gosh darn close!
    BirdsCommaAngry
    NET Veteran

• Through pure coincidence, I went to high school with three guys who became NFL QBs. My first three years of high school were in Sacramento, and I went to school and played with Gio Carmazzi (3rd rd pick by Niners in famous Tom Brady draft) and JT O'Sullivan (played for numerous teams in NFL). My senior year I moved to Portland and played with Joey Harrington.

But the best guy I played against was Jheremiah Pharms who some of you might remember went to UW. He was from Sac and was a beast in high school. Too bad he got arrested after getting drafted. lol
    NorCal
    NET Rookie

• I was/am way too.small to play football. I get a chance to show off my best Earl Thomas impression every Saturday though. As the smallest guy on the field, I always get targeted, until they find out very quickly, I can cover.

One of my good friends has a sister that is married to Jon Kitna's brother. Jon took him and his family to a resort in Montana for the rich and famous not too long ago. Said he saw Justin Timberlake and his beautiful wife there.

I also sold 2 tubs of NO Xplode Jon when I worked at a health store.

His cousin is also Laurent Robinson, formerly of the Cowboys and Jaguars. Got a huge payday by the Jags and got injured, then released.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• I have an aunt on my Mom's side of the family that is a realtor. She sold a place/property to Drew Bledsoe in Northwest Montana. Her and my uncle somehow became good friends with the Bledsoes, and they were in charge of "house sitting" while he was off and playing, and in charge of keeping his cars cleaned, detailed, etc, so all he had to do when he came for some downtime was just get in the car, and turn the ignition. They got pro-bowl tickets from him when he made the pro-bowl, and super-bowl tickets the last time he went to a super-bowl - aka "The Brady Revelation."
    MissoulaHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• Ok, this is kind of embarrassing really, but I'm second cousins with Caleb Hanie. :pukeface:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caleb_Hanie
    Last edited by Stiletto on Tue May 14, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass."
    Stiletto
    NET Rookie

• I also attended church years ago with Fred Swendsen who played briefly with the Buffalo Bills. Funny, I had not thought about him for years until I saw this thread. I remember asking him as a kid if he knew O.J.

Fred is a Chiropractor in Puyallup and has been forever it seems.

http://swendsenchiro.com/index.php?p=86780

"Am I going MAD, or did the word "think" escape your lips? You were not hired for your brains, you hippopotamic land mass."
    Stiletto
    NET Rookie

• Scott Shanle (linebacker for the Saints) once tackled me in high school 8-man football. His team's mascot was the Beavers, by the way. Anyway, I had a cold that Friday night and had a runny nose all week. I was QB and he and I collided head-to-head on a designed bootleg. Snot from my nose landed on his face. My bell got rung good and we didn't convert the 3rd down but I think I definately got the better end of that deal.
    Omahawk
    NET Veteran

• I went to Central Catholic High School my freshman year. I played football that year with Joey Harrington as the senior varsity QB. I also had 3 classies with his younger brother Ryan Harrington. Although Ryan got kicked outta school for showing his "fun zone" to a 15 year old girl in his senor year. lol

I also had Richard Sherman talk to me on facebook too.
    ProckHawks
    NET Rookie

• I really want to know who the people that played in the NFL are
    ARhawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Closest connection I have is being the BSU Athletic Department Math/Econ tutor and helping Doug Martin out with some Business Calculus.

Also my coworkers son got a tryout with the Raiders last year (Kyle Efaw) and another coworker made it through 1 day of camp with the Raiders back in the 80's.
    EverydayImRusselin
    NET Veteran

• ARhawk wrote:I really want to know who the people that played in the NFL are

Ditto here.
    MissoulaHawkFan
    NET Rookie

• John Mara (Giants owner) played third base on my Little League team in White Plains, New York. He was a good athlete and a nice kid. His father Wellington would come to the games and acted like just another parent, never wanted special treatment. My dad coached our team that year.
    godawg
    NET Starter

Previous

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information