Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:11 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10044
Winfield, Bennett, Avril...all signed for lower than expected money on prove it deals to play in one of the more anonymous locations in the NFL.

I remember when Pete was hired, one of the media catchphrases was about how he couldn't get the best players like he did in college. I thought that too. I was wrong.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:21 am 
* NET Baller *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 17385
Location: Graham, WA
Not to mention Harvin took less than he was asking once he was dealt here.

_________________
Image
3elieve


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:26 am 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 11159
Location: Antioch, CA
Totally agree. I think they may be the best. They at least are the best we've ever had. I was trying to think last night of the last time we had a Free Agent that this board REALLY wanted (that the Seahawks actually were trying to sign) go somewhere else. You know, the players who generate 15 page threads and have you sitting up late hitting refresh over and over.

It used to happen ALL THE TIME. Seattle was pursuing someone, but they ended up on another team unless Seattle overpaid big time. TJ Houshmanzadeh, Grant Wistrom, etc. Since Pete and John got here, it seems like they usually get who they want without having to do that.

Sidney Rice, Jason Jones, Matt Flynn, Avril, Winfield, Bennett, Alan Branch, Miller, and even our own guys: Mebane, Bryant, Lynch.

There have been very few times that a player the Seahawks were actually pursuing, that I REALLY WANTED, decided to go somewhere else instead of taking an offer on the table from the Seahawks.

Times have changed a lot.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:49 am 
*Host of .NET Awards*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Posts: 8907
Location: With a white girl
All of this it's true, and it makes me very happy on three inside.

_________________
Legal Notice: Only a very small percentage of the things I do and say can be taken seriously. If ever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:58 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 5424
Location: Magnolia, Texas
Was watching "SoundFX" on NFL Network the other day...

Devin Hester was giving Pete the business for not recruiting him for USC out of high school. Hester made a good case too, saying he was the #2 DB in the country and so forth.

Pete really didn't have an answer for him.

_________________
"God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:26 am 
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
*TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:32 am
Posts: 3303
Location: The Open Road
I truly believe it's the team effort of JS and PC. The business side of an agreement to play for the Hawks or any team can't happen without the front office boss. I regard JS equally as important to our success as PC.

_________________
" Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:47 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:53 pm
Posts: 351
Location: Reno, Nevada
I think the days of overpaying FA's to come here and beg for their service is over. Now, "if" JS PC want someone, they invite them in, throw the helmet on the desk with a pen and contract and say, are you in or out.

_________________
"A superstar can win any game; however, a team can win every game".


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:06 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
Yes he is.

It's even more important with the new CBA, where the NFLPA ignorantly created their own 99% vs 1% scenario. Contracts for the Bennett's, Avril's, Winfield's, etc will forever be pretty much equal. The equalizer will be the orgs reputation and recruiting prowess.

Whether its true or not, the fact a player thinks Flynn was traded to "do right by Matt" speaks VOLUMES.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:09 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10044
I see Winfield took 2 million less guaranteed to sign with Seattle. It just keeps getting better. When guys sign with you like that, it means they think this is the title chance.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
Scottemojo wrote:
I see Winfield took 2 million less guaranteed to sign with Seattle. It just keeps getting better. When guys sign with you like that, it means they think this is the title chance.


Pete's pretty close to having the talent disparity he did at USC. I REALLY believe that.

Scary.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:16 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10044
pehawk wrote:
Scottemojo wrote:
I see Winfield took 2 million less guaranteed to sign with Seattle. It just keeps getting better. When guys sign with you like that, it means they think this is the title chance.


Pete's pretty close to having the talent disparity he did at USC. I REALLY believe that.

Scary.


Winfield turned down the Patriots and Broncos, along with the Skins and Vikes to sign in Seattle.

For the first time this year, I heard non Seahawk players on NFLN talking about Seattle's fun atmosphere and practices, even though they get more snaps in those practices than most teams. The buy in league wide is going to keep Seattle a destination for players while Pete is here.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:20 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
I think it has more to do with Wilson. He's an inevitable champion.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:29 am 
* NET Lead Admin *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:47 am
Posts: 8506
Great topic.

I think it was like the start of the season in year 2? tjack was going to be the starting qb, we had a green o-line full of high draft picks, our best offensive skill player was Mike Williams. The team had basically been gutted.

Pete was taking a lot of heat. One of the big talking points was lack of leadership on the team. My recollection is the gist of his message was that it's all about running the program in a certain way and creating the environment and the conditions conducive to success. That's his job, and that once enough of the ingredients are there the results will start to manifest themselves, and leaders will emerge as part of that process.

And that's pretty much what's happened. And people are taking notice. The man has a great recipe for running a successful football program. On a personal level I find it educational and inspirational in that it's not about control, but about creating the optimal conditions for success, and then letting people take advantage of it. That's huge!

Ok, I'm outta here. Sun is out and the surf is up.

_________________
Championships are forever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:32 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
sadhappy wrote:
Great topic.

I think it was like the start of the season in year 2? tjack was going to be the starting qb, we had a green o-line full of high draft picks, our best offensive skill player was Mike Williams. The team had basically been gutted.

Pete was taking a lot of heat. One of the big talking points was lack of leadership on the team. My recollection is the gist of his message was that it's all about running the program in a certain way and creating the environment and the conditions conducive to success. That's his job, and that once enough of the ingredients are there the results will start to manifest themselves, and leaders will emerge as part of that process.

And that's pretty much what's happened. And people are taking notice. The man has a great recipe for running a successful football program. On a personal level I find it educational and inspirational in that it's not about control, but about creating the optimal conditions for success, and then letting people take advantage of it. That's huge!

Ok, I'm outta here. Sun is out and the surf is up.


Its very Jimmy Johnsonesque. Those Cowboys teams are the best comparison, IMO.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:32 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am
Posts: 2876
Don't forget, there's us as well... as the draw.

We're great too!! :th2thumbs: :D

_________________
EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:46 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
onanygivensunday wrote:
Don't forget, there's us as well... as the draw.

We're great too!! :th2thumbs: :D


CORNY. No offense.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:57 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Seattle
Times they are a changin that's the truth. Seattle is no longer invisible, but rather a desired destination on the fast track to...the sky's the limit. Pete and John have successfully created an environment that is both attractive and addictive.

_________________
Image

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:04 am 
[[ .NET Godfather ]]
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
Posts: 7648
Location: Maple Valley, WA
pehawk wrote:
I think it has more to do with Wilson. He's an inevitable champion.


The Inevitable Champion. I like that. Glad I thought of it.

_________________
Image

"We're about to be legendary." - Richard Sherman to the Seahawks sideline in the 3rd quarter of SBXLVIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:05 am 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10044
Bill Belichick has been the best recruiter of the last 10 years. What other head coaches recruit well? Harbaugh is no slouch, Fisher has brought a ton of guys with ties to him to STL, but I don't think that counts, some of them he had to give big dollars to, I can see that Fox would be a coach players would gravitate to, Ozzie Newsome and Harbaugh seem to do well, Miami has always been a player clime, but moreso when it was Parcells...

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:25 am 
* Report Button *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm
Posts: 9923
Aros wrote:
pehawk wrote:
I think it has more to do with Wilson. He's an inevitable champion.


The Inevitable Champion. I like that. Glad I thought of it.


Todd has an inevitable champion in his pants. I have bedroom move called the inevitable champion.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:30 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7407
Location: CVN-68
The reality is, were are not so "anonymous" anymore.

We are on the map.

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:15 am 
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
*BRONZE SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 pm
Posts: 347
Location: Vancouver, WA
pehawk wrote:
sadhappy wrote:
Great topic.

I think it was like the start of the season in year 2? tjack was going to be the starting qb, we had a green o-line full of high draft picks, our best offensive skill player was Mike Williams. The team had basically been gutted.

Pete was taking a lot of heat. One of the big talking points was lack of leadership on the team. My recollection is the gist of his message was that it's all about running the program in a certain way and creating the environment and the conditions conducive to success. That's his job, and that once enough of the ingredients are there the results will start to manifest themselves, and leaders will emerge as part of that process.

And that's pretty much what's happened. And people are taking notice. The man has a great recipe for running a successful football program. On a personal level I find it educational and inspirational in that it's not about control, but about creating the optimal conditions for success, and then letting people take advantage of it. That's huge!

Ok, I'm outta here. Sun is out and the surf is up.


Its very Jimmy Johnsonesque. Those Cowboys teams are the best comparison, IMO.

I think that is why Michael Irvin jumped on the bandwagon after the 42-13 win over the Whiners.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:02 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am
Posts: 757
Yeah, I think Pete is the best recruiter, not necessarily because he attracts top shelf talent, but because he set up a program from Schneider to the coaches to the players themselves that can identify unique talent and apply it to our on field product in ways that other more traditional coaches never think of. Once recognized he's utterly fearless devising a workable system around them. I think that's really attractive to players that have been forced into situations where their talent goes unnoticed or that have been shoehorned into traditional roles to fit into systems.

Pete's willingness to let our front office (Idzik) coaching staff (Bradley) and unhappy players (Flynn) pursue there own careers even if we'd sure like to keep their services is also a plus. Even to the point of recommending Bevell for coaching jobs even though it would set RW back having a new OC. The fact we'll start rookies and perennial backups as long as they prove what they've got and it's a talent PC can use. All helps attract the right people.

I see the whole Richard Sherman situation as Pete knowing that people see him as a villain helps to get our message out. Holmgren would be riding Sherman to shut up, but really, every time he says something noteworthy and gets himself in the news, it forces the media to look at our team, discuss that Sherman is the real deal on the field no matter how annoying, break down the season we had and how dangerous our team is going forward, and report that we are in contention to win the Superbowl despite coming out of the new "toughest division in football". It gets our team in the headlines, and top talent doesn't consider us an afterthought anymore.

We are not the team to join to get paid to end your career at anymore. Pete has shed us of that. We're becoming a free agent Mecca, for those players that want a fair shot at history on prove it deals.

_________________
Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:07 pm 
* NET Eeyore *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
Posts: 10488
Location: Pasco, WA
I would have to say that he is one of the better ones at least if not the best.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:23 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am
Posts: 568
pehawk wrote:
I think it has more to do with Wilson. He's an inevitable champion.


That may be sarcasm but very true. Wilson's success story is being followed as much as any story in the league right now and it all started with Pete's willingness to take risks and to support his players. Pete is a good recruiter but word is out that he's a great players coach. He takes a chance on troubled players and challenged players then gives them opportunities to succeed when others wouldn't dare take a risk. One would think that players talk about this stuff as much as how they talk about a championship.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:49 pm 
NET Practice Squad
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:29 pm
Posts: 55
Location: Southwest Washington
It wasn't that long ago when the National Media was questioning Pete and the revolving door of players coming and going. Saying it would not work, that the competition for their jobs was a joke and the players would not buy in to it.

It now seems to me that Pete was right. The thought process has changed. In a few short seasons he turned an old team in a young and competitive one. The Media and the League have taken notice. It looks like the Seahawks have bucked the old school mentality for now. If the players coming in are competitive and hungry the sky's the limit for this organization. GO HAWKS!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:59 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:46 pm
Posts: 440
Lady Talon, were there a like it button, I would like your post.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:06 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am
Posts: 1036
Russ Willstrong wrote:
pehawk wrote:
I think it has more to do with Wilson. He's an inevitable champion.


That may be sarcasm but very true. Wilson's success story is being followed as much as any story in the league right now and it all started with Pete's willingness to take risks and to support his players. Pete is a good recruiter but word is out that he's a great players coach. He takes a chance on troubled players and challenged players then gives them opportunities to succeed when others wouldn't dare take a risk. One would think that players talk about this stuff as much as how they talk about a championship.


Yep. Instead of trying to fit players into his own scheme, he takes players and devises schemes to maximize their potential and minimize their deficiencies. Look at Chris Clemons and the LEO position, to cite just one example.

I've got to believe that a coach like that is very attractive to players who don't fit traditional roles.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:18 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9819
Pete is so good at what he does. It's depressing to me that he's already into his sixties. I hope he coaches another 10-15 years, leaving just in time to avoid becoming Al Davis.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:22 pm 
*Scott of Smacksville*
*Scott of Smacksville*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am
Posts: 10044
kearly wrote:
Pete is so good at what he does. It's depressing to me that he's already into his sixties. I hope he coaches another 10-15 years, leaving just in time to avoid becoming Al Davis.

Maybe Pete has some Marv Levy longevity. It's what I tell myself, anyway.

_________________
SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:22 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 3181
Lady Talon pretty much summed it up.

I find it vastly ironic (and satisfying) that the mediots jumped all over Pete for being too "rah rah" and negated his entire approach as being "college" and it would never work in the NFL. Now, we have the most player friendly environment, even though most guys know they always have to look over their shoulders at the new draft picks, knowing that they could lose their job regardless of contract status. The players also know you're not going to get the biggest contract to come here, but it's common knowledge we're considered the hottest team in the NFL right now.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 am
Posts: 5583
Location: Not Umatilla, Oregon
When high quality free agents (Avril, Bennett, Winfield) are willing to forgo the long term deals with tons of guaranteed money in order to play for a contender now and test the market again later, it says something about the team environment. We've not broken the bank on a single player. We've made no less than three marquee signings in free agency and the longest contract is Avril, at two years. All of the money we are spending now will be available next year, when we have to start extending our star players.

_________________
Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:22 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
Posts: 9180
Location: Renton Wa.
Pete and John have that ability to make players both feel wanted and respected, they show the love basically. Players want that. Avril, Bennett, Winfield, Rice, Harvin, all disliked the way they felt they were treated or unappreciated. That ability opens the door wide open for us, I mean it's like saying we love you and were adopting you, welcome to the family.

_________________
Image

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:43 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:47 pm
Posts: 2688
Location: In Bruges
Two things in my mind make Pete a great coach: Lack of allowing a entitlement mentality and accountability for your performance. Simple things really but hugely important.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:54 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3092
Yeah, I said this in the Winfield thread. Seattle's got something that's starting to resemble the USC powerhouse that Pete built a few years into his tenure there. He's changed the culture of the organization, which is exactly what you want a head coach to do and is a big part of what is drawing FAs here. It's not just that this team is getting better. It's also the specific image they're projecting to the rest of the league. These guys look like they're hungry and play with a lot of desire and excitement. That's a cultural thing. I've heard/read Harvin and Avril comment on how hungry these players seemed and how that made them excited to come to Seattle. Winfield made a statement saying the Seahawks players were "young, athletic and energetic." Put yourself in the shoes of a premiere NFL athlete. What kind of organizational culture do you want to be in? Looking around the league, I don't think it gets much better than what you'll find at the VMAC.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:47 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 pm
Posts: 467
Location: Ventura, CA
godawg wrote:
Lady Talon, were there a like it button, I would like your post.


+1

I hadn't considered Sherman's behavior as a catalyst for branding among players, but now that it's pointed out, it's so obvious. Now I have even less sympathy for the "let's fly under the radar, I don't want all this attention" point of view. Having a big brand and national recognition is a mechanical advantage and affects game outcomes. There's a reason to care how the media perceives us and portrays us because that's a lot of where players and coaches get their information, too, and influences their decisions.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:52 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:08 pm
Posts: 4651
chris98251 wrote:
Pete and John have that ability to make players both feel wanted and respected, they show the love basically. Players want that. Avril, Bennett, Winfield, Rice, Harvin, all disliked the way they felt they were treated or unappreciated. That ability opens the door wide open for us, I mean it's like saying we love you and were adopting you, welcome to the family.


But the great thing is, even though Pete makes all these guys feel the love, he's a stone cold killer if their level of play drops off in terms of either replacing them as a starter or shipping them out.

Like the BMW thing. Big Mike had a good season and really helped us one year, next year his production dropped and injury bug bit him a little, poof he was gone and the position was upgraded through other means.

It's kinda weird but cool how players like what they feel coming from Pete, yet with Pete their job is probably the least safe out of any team. He'll find some guy in Canada, he'll find some guy in the 6th, and he'll just replace your sorry butt at any moment if you don't bring it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:59 pm 
*Host of .NET Awards*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Posts: 8907
Location: With a white girl
hawk45 wrote:
chris98251 wrote:
Pete and John have that ability to make players both feel wanted and respected, they show the love basically. Players want that. Avril, Bennett, Winfield, Rice, Harvin, all disliked the way they felt they were treated or unappreciated. That ability opens the door wide open for us, I mean it's like saying we love you and were adopting you, welcome to the family.


But the great thing is, even though Pete makes all these guys feel the love, he's a stone cold killer if their level of play drops off in terms of either replacing them as a starter or shipping them out.

Like the BMW thing. Big Mike had a good season and really helped us one year, next year his production dropped and injury bug bit him a little, poof he was gone and the position was upgraded through other means.

It's kinda weird but cool how players like what they feel coming from Pete, yet with Pete their job is probably the least safe out of any team. He'll find some guy in Canada, he'll find some guy in the 6th, and he'll just replace your sorry butt at any moment if you don't bring it.


And i think players respect that level of honesty.

_________________
Legal Notice: Only a very small percentage of the things I do and say can be taken seriously. If ever.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:06 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:45 pm
Posts: 662
Location: Yakima
Be nice to see Winfield take an INT back for a TD on the way to a Bronco beat down in the big game.

Might make their arrogant QB reflect on leaving Paul Allen's jet sitting on the tarmac and refusing
to even to talk to Seahawk representatives.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:51 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 12:42 am
Posts: 304
Location: Utah
I can see Pete saying to FA's. What will it be, money, or Glory, it your choice.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:02 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:14 am
Posts: 1413
Location: Blaine, WA
Shadowhawk wrote:
Russ Willstrong wrote:
pehawk wrote:
I think it has more to do with Wilson. He's an inevitable champion.


That may be sarcasm but very true. Wilson's success story is being followed as much as any story in the league right now and it all started with Pete's willingness to take risks and to support his players. Pete is a good recruiter but word is out that he's a great players coach. He takes a chance on troubled players and challenged players then gives them opportunities to succeed when others wouldn't dare take a risk. One would think that players talk about this stuff as much as how they talk about a championship.


Yep. Instead of trying to fit players into his own scheme, he takes players and devises schemes to maximize their potential and minimize their deficiencies. Look at Chris Clemons and the LEO position, to cite just one example.

I've got to believe that a coach like that is very attractive to players who don't fit traditional roles.


This is not entirely true. Pete has a definite scheme. Go back and look at what he was saying and doing ten years ago and you'll see the Seahawks defense fits his scheme. What is unique about Pete is that his scheme roles are fairly specialized, and he and John have been very good about finding the right kinds of specialists. This scheme has never rewarded the well rounded. It rewards the extremes. But it's always been that way with Pete.

_________________
<A>
<IMG></A>


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:05 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:30 am
Posts: 736
Location: Van Buren, AR from Kent-Covington, WA
It started with Holmy and almost died with Moran, this "new era" of Seahawks football is what I wanted when I was growing up in 90's. I hope these kids understand how lucky they are. To the question, Pete is a top 5 coach in the league, same with Seattle being a top 5 team. JS is a top 5 GM and the stadium and practice facilities are top 5 as well. Put that all together and yeah it's a top 5 organization, so sure free agents are going to want to come here. Oh yeah, we have a pretty good D and a young Qb who is decent, lol.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:32 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am
Posts: 2447
Pete's at a great recruiting point in his career. He had a monster run at USC where he recruited/tried to recruit/talked to/corresponded with a lot of the current stars and players in the NFL right now.

Relationships are everything in business, and Pete's maximizing the fact that he already has an established relationship with a lot of players.

_________________
If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:32 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm
Posts: 3309
Location: WA
Bakergirl wrote:
Times they are a changin that's the truth. Seattle is no longer invisible, but rather a desired destination on the fast track to...the sky's the limit. Pete and John have successfully created an environment that is both attractive and addictive.


I can't help but think of this when reading your post...


_________________
RockHawk wrote:
This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:58 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3092
Not convinced? Check out these tweets from Texas A&M draft prospect Christine Michael after visting the team today:

Christine Michael ‏@Cmike33 9h
Man these Seahawks got a boy wanted to go throw some pads on right now...solid team and great people... All business!

Christine Michael ‏@Cmike33 6h
SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine MichaelVerified account ‏@Cmike33 2h
@Earl_Thomas Fam udk how bad I wanna be apart of what y'all boys bout to go thru man... I can Learn from lynch cuz

Judging from his Twitter page, he's had visits with several teams including the Broncos, Falcons, Steelers, Texans, Raiders and Jets. Didn't rave about any of the others like this.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:55 pm 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:21 am
Posts: 319
Location: Missoula, MT
two dog wrote:
Be nice to see Winfield take an INT back for a TD on the way to a Bronco beat down in the big game.

Might make their arrogant QB reflect on leaving Paul Allen's jet sitting on the tarmac and refusing
to even to talk to Seahawk representatives.

I've quietly been hoping for a similar redemption. That really peeved me when Peyton gave us the cold shoulder.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Is Pete the best recruiter in the NFL?
 Post Posted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:24 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am
Posts: 3087
AshamanMat wrote:
I can see Pete saying to FA's. What will it be, money, or Glory, it your choice.


This gave me goosebumps.

DavidSeven wrote:
Not convinced? Check out these tweets from Texas A&M draft prospect Christine Michael after visting the team today:

Christine Michael ‏@Cmike33 9h
Man these Seahawks got a boy wanted to go throw some pads on right now...solid team and great people... All business!

Christine Michael ‏@Cmike33 6h
SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christine MichaelVerified account ‏@Cmike33 2h
@Earl_Thomas Fam udk how bad I wanna be apart of what y'all boys bout to go thru man... I can Learn from lynch cuz

Judging from his Twitter page, he's had visits with several teams including the Broncos, Falcons, Steelers, Texans, Raiders and Jets. Didn't rave about any of the others like this.


So did this.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.