Carolina wanted Wilson to back up Cam Newton

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Not very exciting or shocking news. But its an article about our QB so i figured i'd post it.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-o ... -up-newton

Personally, I think Cam would have made a nice backup for Russell.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Read this and it's pretty pathetic. I love how there have been multiple teams that now claim they wanted Russell.

Carroll and Schneider were the only 2 with the stones to draft him and start him.
    FargoHawk
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Replace that kid from Cam's play 60 commercial with Russell. Yup.
    Last edited by Coug_Hawk08 on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

• The Carolina personell department doesn't make this anything to brag about. Didn't they fire their GM midseason?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Replace that kid from Cam's play 60 commercial with Russell. Yup.

:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs:
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• Cam is one lucky guy, then.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• The Outfield wrote:Cam is one lucky guy, then.

I had the same thought.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• They did well with their first pick.
    Pick6
    NET Practice Squad

• Probably would have been a good move on their part then. I imagine they could have gotten a LOT for Cam Newton in a trade.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• I'm just glad that our FO had the wherewithal to take the plunge on Russell.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Funny how many front offices are coming out of the woodwork to say they recognized Wilson's talent in an attempt to save face. I call B.S. Wilson never even ran read option in college, and now Carolina wants to say he's the guy they wanted as their read option back up. Right. They probably never even scouted the kid based on his height.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• I saw this today as well. Not sure why the sports media is running this as if its such a "oh wow"article. The Redskins wanted RW to back up RGIII, the Colts wanted him to back up Luck and the Eagles wanted him to back up Vick. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/10s ... er-10-spot).
    seahawkfreak
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• **BREAKING NEWS**

The Seahawks would have taken Peyton Manning if he were available at their pick in the 98 draft.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Wilson would have taken the top spot from Newton.

But if you were able to put Wilson's head on Cam's body... that would be just rediculous.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:**BREAKING NEWS**

The Seahawks would have taken Peyton Manning if he were available at their pick in the 98 draft.

I heard they were also heavily considering Andrew Luck at the #12 spot in last year's draft.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• I hate to be a negative nancy, but... who effing cares????
    MissoulaHawk
    NET Starter

• I believe it. I think the Panthers had more pressing needs with their 3rd round pick than a back up QB though. Cam isn't a bad QB like some uninformed people believe. The guy did have 27 TD's last year. He's never missed a game, and he's more of a running threat than Wilson. Yes, he pouts like a baby and he's not the leader most would want but he didn't play bad enough last year to be benched either. It worked out for Wilson.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

• Stoned Cold wrote:I believe it. I think the Panthers had more pressing needs with their 3rd round pick than a back up QB though. Cam isn't a bad QB like some uninformed people believe. The guy did have 27 TD's last year. He's never missed a game, and he's more of a running threat than Wilson. Yes, he pouts like a baby and he's not the leader most would want but he didn't play bad enough last year to be benched either. It worked out for Wilson.

Ummmm... who, in the history of the world, has ever uttered the words, "Cam is a bad QB"? No one. Ever.
    MissoulaHawk
    NET Starter

• MissoulaHawk wrote:
    Stoned Cold wrote:I believe it. I think the Panthers had more pressing needs with their 3rd round pick than a back up QB though. Cam isn't a bad QB like some uninformed people believe. The guy did have 27 TD's last year. He's never missed a game, and he's more of a running threat than Wilson. Yes, he pouts like a baby and he's not the leader most would want but he didn't play bad enough last year to be benched either. It worked out for Wilson.

Ummmm... who, in the history of the world, has ever uttered the words, "Cam is a bad QB"? No one. Ever.

Fine I'll rephrase it for you. He isn't as bad as some people think. I was misquoted like Richard Sherman. I said it in generalization and you took it literally.
    Stoned Cold
    NET Rookie

• Everybody knew all about Wilson and the Seahawks were stupid to wait until the
    third to pick him. If they were so smart, why didn't the Seahawks take him in
    the first and blah, blah blah, blah.

Everyone would like to draft using a season's hindsight. I look at Seattle's draft
    last year and it still seems like something you would make up if you were blue skying.
    two dog
    NET Veteran

• Some of these other teams would have had way too much ego to start Wilson ahead of their established starter.

I think Philadelphia would have started him, but I think Carolina would have stubbornly stuck with Newton since he was #1 overall.
    CaptainSkybeard
    NET Veteran

• Cam Newton is no slouch, lets not act like he is.

Wilson would've been the back up because he wasn't going to be looked at in the same light as he was here in Seattle, has nothing to do with ego.

I'm sure in a few years time, Wilson, if he was Newtons back up would've been looked at as that back up that deserves his shot to start and would be traded to another team, the dudes just damn good.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I would have gotten to see Russel sit on the sidelines with my Panther tickets, but I'm glad he got the chance to start with the Seahawks. Carolina would never have had the stones to start him over Cam.
    aawolf
    NET Starter

• And now we see the difference between a front office that truly believes in competition and a front office that doesn't.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Replace that kid from Cam's play 60 commercial with Russell. Yup.

Dude that is seriously one of the funniest mental images I've had for awhile. If someone could somehow make that happen it would be EPIC.

You know use the kids voice, but put Wilson there moving his lips. LMAO!
    McG
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:Cam Newton is no slouch, lets not act like he is.

He is not accurate enough as a passer to be elite, he also lacks leadership. While no NFL player is a slouch, Cam at this point is mediocre as a QB.....he is great as a runner....but not consistent enough as a QB for them to win.
    P-Rich fo life
    ImTheScientist
    NET Veteran

• T-Sizzle wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Cam Newton is no slouch, lets not act like he is.

He is not accurate enough as a passer to be elite, he also lacks leadership. While no NFL player is a slouch, Cam at this point is mediocre as a QB.....he is great as a runner....but not consistent enough as a QB for them to win.

Cam Newton makes DC's sweat and lose sleep. He is a matchup problem for most defenses. Words like elite get thrown around a lot, it boils down to matchups.

Now, while Cam is a matchup nightmare, he is not a plus player at exploiting other offensive matchups, not yet. But the last 6 games of last year, he appeared to be getting it.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• I guess that would have saved Carolina from one of the "L's" on their record since Wilson came out on top of his matchup with Cam and that was before this team had hit their stride.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• theWow, can you imagine if that would of happened?? What an immense and ludacris waste of talent. I'm sure he would have been a hot trade chip though. Drafted in the third round because of height?, But that height wouldn't have limited teams from offering two or three 1st round picks for him.

Hmmm, come to think of it let's trade him and stock up on all those picks! Roll with Brady Quinn, game manager baby!! :stirthepot: :snack:

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 7:59 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information