All Part of the Plan.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
During last season there were many calling for PC's head. They did say it was a 5 year plan yet many wanted him fired. We are now reaping the rewards of continuity. Cheers to patience.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Sure. If by "so many people calling for his head" you mean one guy saying if he doesnt start winning playoff games in a couple years then we should consider putting him on the hot seat.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah I don't remember anyone calling for his head, the way he had resurrected the run defense, pass defense, and running game in the first couple years had everyone pretty patient.

Folks did say he'd have to decipher the quarterback position if he wanted to succeed, because Whitehurst and Tjack weren't filling the fans with confidence at that point.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I guess I missed people calling for his head.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I can't remember anyone ever calling for his head. Not once. Of course, given the growth of the team, that just seems BRILLIANT.

Happypuppy

Reaction score
There were indeed some that did not like him much when hired. After the Saints playoff game and the following draft it died down a lot. I wonder who is really responsible for the success? The Coach or the GM? Both? It would be so cool to sit in the draft room on day one...

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Who was calling for Pete's head? Nobody who actually knows WTF they are talking about. This FO is doing an amazing job, the coaching is special, and the 'always compete' formula is working while Schneider has been brilliant in FA and in drafting talent. The team is managing the cap well. Nobody who is informed really thinks this FO is doing anything but the right stuff.

We enter the 4th season under this regime having an incredibly exceptional FA period, the team is better than it has been in, forever, there is depth at almost every position. The draft offers the potential to lock it all in. This is a very young team the future looks so bright we all will need shades.

Superb Owl appears to be an actual short term possibility. The wait since '76 may soon be rewarded for the faithful.

BTW just wanted to say I really totally love what has happened here since 2010 JS will soon be regarded as a genius while Pete is proving he was smart choice.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I wasn't around here then, but judging by reader comments over at the Times and other Seahawks related sites, there were definitely Seattle people calling for him to be fired after going with Wilson over Flynn and the slow-ish start that followed. You see the same stuff being said about Sarkisian for UW (unfairly IMO).

Nice to hear there was at least one area of the internet that had their heads on straight. It was clear even last year the huge progress this roster was making.

Was the patience also great for Wilson early on? I recall a poll on the PI site after the first St. Louis game that had 60% in favor of benching him for Flynn. That's just incredible to me. Hoping it wasn't representative of the sentiment from fans who follow this stuff more closely.

kearly

Reaction score
There were indeed people calling for Pete's job last year. I know because it pissed me the hell off. It was especially pronounced after some of the tougher losses last year- Rams, Lions, even the Dolphins game. Just your run of the mill reactionary idiotic knee-jerk bullshit. People seem to be forgetting, but emotions ran EXTREMELY high last season around here, highest since 2006/2007. There were also plenty of calls to bench Wilson, too.

We're talking about a very small number of users, most of them I'd never heard of. Still, vocal minorities can be very annoying. And they did exist. I'm surprised people have forgotten. It was so bad that on numerous occasions I seriously considered leaving .net until the season was over.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":iwl56ay5 said:
There were indeed people calling for Pete's job last year. I know because it pissed me the hell off. It was especially pronounced after some of the tougher losses last year- Rams, Lions, even the Dolphins game. Just your run of the mill reactionary idiotic knee-jerk bullshit. People seem to be forgetting, but emotions ran EXTREMELY high last season around here, highest since 2006/2007. There were also plenty of calls to bench Wilson, too.

We're talking about a very small number of users, most of them I'd never heard of. Still, vocal minorities can be very annoying. And they did exist. I'm surprised people have forgotten. It was so bad that on numerous occasions I seriously considered leaving .net until the season was over.

I remember lots of bench Russell Wilson posts that were really frustrating, and I remember sharing PM's with you about them with you saying you were thinking about leaving. I honestly do not remember one single serious "pete should be fired" post. And as a mod, i read every single post that is made here.

I do remember a thread started by Flyinggreg (or maybe it was techworlds.. but I think it was Greg) where he was asking at what point Pete should go on the hot seat, and then a bunch of idiots with no reading comprehension getting pissed at him because they thought he was saying Pete should be fired. That thread turned into a big bruhaha.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
4-year plan from what I recall. And this is year 4. WHEEEE!!

rideaducati

Reaction score
Happypuppy":3qreqncm said:
There were indeed some that did not like him much when hired. After the Saints playoff game and the following draft it died down a lot. I wonder who is really responsible for the success? The Coach or the GM? Both? It would be so cool to sit in the draft room on day one...

The Seahawks don't have a pick in day one so you might not learn a whole lot sitting in the draft room.

warden

Reaction score
Then there is my favorite, so many posters in year two that Pete does not know how to evaluate a QB and will never bring us one.

Too many posters try to make themselves look intelligent by calling someone down, finding someone to blame. Too bad, I truly believe that these posters missed the true magic that was happening in our 7 and 9 seasons. You could see things coming together, the growth, the determination of PC/JS in finding the players. Most fascinating rebuild that I have seen and I was watching football before the Seahawks existed.

hawk45

Reaction score
warden":16hml5m2 said:
Then there is my favorite, so many posters in year two that Pete does not know how to evaluate a QB and will never bring us one.

Too many posters try to make themselves look intelligent by calling someone down, finding someone to blame. Too bad, I truly believe that these posters missed the true magic that was happening in our 7 and 9 seasons. You could see things coming together, the growth, the determination of PC/JS in finding the players. Most fascinating rebuild that I have seen and I was watching football before the Seahawks existed.

Saying he'd never bring us a quarterback would be over the line.

Saying that after 2 years we didn't have the QBOTF in visual range yet, and it was worrisome, is kosher with me. The one swing that they did take was a big fat miss, CBJ. They brought the guy in, not for crazy money but it was a small to mid-sized swing, and he was so terrible that Pete couldn't bear to trot the guy out to the field even when Hass was throwing like 3 picks a game (and I think it literally was 3 picks a game for a stretch).

For a time it looked like they could solve every problem (defense, run game) BUT the quarterback position. And I think folks rightly pointed out that even with all the good they were doing, if they did not solve that puzzle, they would be in trouble as a front office eventually. Pretty much stating the obvious.

In retrospect, yeah, that seems silly, but nobody alive could have foreseen they'd snatch up the Seattle football savior the way they did and have the guts to install him as a starter. They took the one position I was worried about and KILLED it. To the point where now all of us basically would trust them no matter what they did.

drdiags

Reaction score
There were several rival fans who tried to spark the "Pete is on a hot seat" mantra, saying if he was .500 last year after two 7-9 seasons, Paul Allen should fire him. There was an article on NFL .com where some "experts" thought Pete was on the hot seat at the beginning of last year, prior to him naming Wilson. Billick was/is not a big Pete guy. I think he is jealous.

A couple of our guys were buying into the idea and even non-rival NFL fans that visited would ask the question. That is why the end of last season was such a breath of fresh air to me. Just to know that they would get year 4 without that nonsense. Of course there are fans across the NFL who want to warn against a Wilson sophomore slump or [you fill in the blank] words of wisdom who feel the Seahawks will slip back toward the middle of the pack. I don't expect it, but anything is possible.

I just hope not to have to hear it for the next five years or so. One can hope.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The only criticism of Pete has been in some of his play calling. An onsides kick that was a low % play. Stuff where he suddenly gets too fancy for his own good. But pointing out he has a flaw - no one's perfect - is a far cry from calling for him to be fired. I don't recall anyone at all doing that.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
hawk45":fvi5ct7f said:
Yeah I don't remember anyone calling for his head, the way he had resurrected the run defense, pass defense, and running game in the first couple years had everyone pretty patient.

Folks did say he'd have to decipher the quarterback position if he wanted to succeed, because Whitehurst and Tjack weren't filling the fans with confidence at that point.
Ya, but remember, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".
The missing pieces to the puzzle were unavailable until Russell Wilson came on board. :th2thumbs:

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":py9qgieb said:
Ya, but remember, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

What if a silkworm took up residense in a sows ear, could'ja then? I dunno, these are just thoughts that keep me awake at night.

As i understand it. There was a four year plan mentioned somewhere at PC's arrival. Whether I read that from a notable source or from...wait for it...wait for it, here, i don't recall.

If that was in fact thier itinerary, which obviously you'd want to be successful in a reasonable span of time, I'd say they're right on schedule. Russell Wilson is the fly by the seat of his pants taxi driver that'll make sure you get to your next destination on time. Early even.