What was the reason the Seahawks didn't sign Brian Banks?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I have read a few articles about him and noticed that Pete Carroll was the first person to give him a work out. I am probably going to be following this guy during the season, with interest in his story and his career. I am wondering, though, what was the reason that he didn't sign with the 'Hawks?

    I confess that I don't know much about team building, off season things, so I don't know as to whether or not the Seahawks need a player at his position, or if we're not in high demand for his position.
    User avatar
    fsmassey
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 88
    Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:59 pm


  • Probably because he had just gotten released and was rusty to say the least. Imagine missing all those years of football, college included. While an athletic phenom growing up, he was in prison for a LONG time. That's a lot of time and experience to make up for. I was pulling for him, but when it came down to it, he just wasn't quite ready to make an NFL roster. I hope he catches on in Atlanta though :thirishdrinkers:
    nategreat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1346
    Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:36 am


  • He just wasn't ready. Would be ridiculous for anyone to make up that kind of ground in a matter of days. Good on Pete for being the first to give him a shot and helping to get his story out, though.

    Pete Carroll: I was hoping-- I was really hopeful that something good was going to happen. But in the workout, you could see that he just couldn't make up the ground. And those 10 years, I don't know who could have.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4077
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • What's the reason we dont sign most players we try out? He wasn't good enough
    User avatar
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3595
    Joined: Sun May 10, 2009 2:09 pm


  • therealjohncarlson wrote:What's the reason we dont sign most players we try out? He wasn't good enough

    yerp
    WAR BEAVER!!
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • Still way too rusty coming out of prison, wasn't a desperate enough position need for us to gamble and assume he would realize his youthful potential. . Also, Schneider and Carroll leave no player un-scouted. He was one of the 95% of players who workout for the Hawks that end up in nothing more. Just a curiosity as well as a courtesy check based on his story and Pete's history with Brian.
    Image

    Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    User avatar
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 879
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am
    Location: Bellevue, WA


  • I do love Pete for giving Banks his first shot at the golden ring, Brian also gave Pete a big thank you for giving him the opportunity.
    I too, hope that he gets his wheels underneath, I don't know of ANYONE who deserves it more than this kid does.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3789
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?
    User avatar
    AVL
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 354
    Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 4:11 am


  • AVL wrote:Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?


    What a dumb thing to say. Not saying you're dumb. Your entire post is though.

    As for Banks, he was nowhere near football shape. The little video they had of him practicing with the team, he was stumbling around and had no legs under him. I'm sure its slowly all coming back to him now. Muscle memory's a fascinating thing.
    Last edited by -The Glove- on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7365
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • Banks projected as more of a SOLB than WOLB and the team is well stocked at his position making his shot at breaking in here more remote. The team looked hard at him last season as well.

    Wish him nothing but success in following his dream which was taken from him.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1960
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

    The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • He is still apparently talented enough to get a look from several pretty good teams so there is some raw ability there. I agree he'll never be a geat baller but he does have some skills and physical ability.

    I really hope he succeeds b/c it'd be a tremendous story of a good man overcoming a mountain of adversity.
    Until we develop a pass rush that will cause opposing teams to be forced to scheme to defend it we will never be able to completely take the final step. That was done and the final step was taken. The OLine still needs work.

    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions at last after 38 seasons. Awesome!!!
    jammerhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1960
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:13 pm


  • Jammer Hawk.. how do you figure. He tried last year, hes trying this year. Great publicity for a team that tries him out just like us last year. Several teams give anything a look when you need to fill holes.. :3-1:
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 280
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm


  • Scottemojo wrote:I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

    The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.


    He played in the UFL last season (Las Vegas)...
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7540
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

    The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.


    He played in the UFL last season (Las Vegas)...

    I stand corrected. Good. It is worth noting that he was in two games and had one tackle in the UFL.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • AVL wrote:Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?



    sort of ignorant. Most people 'screwed over' by the system don't get tryouts with NFL teams, so I'm not really sure what the point of this even is?
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

    The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.


    He played in the UFL last season (Las Vegas)...

    I stand corrected. Good. It is worth noting that he was in two games and had one tackle in the UFL.


    he was on the roster for two games, before the UFL folded so hopefully you're not using that as a measuring stick of his ability.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • Hawknballs wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I stand corrected. Good. It is worth noting that he was in two games and had one tackle in the UFL.


    he was on the roster for two games, before the UFL folded so hopefully you're not using that as a measuring stick of his ability.


    No. One tackle in two games for a linebacker is poor enough as a measuring stick.
    I am not a guy who roots for stories, though.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I stand corrected. Good. It is worth noting that he was in two games and had one tackle in the UFL.


    he was on the roster for two games, before the UFL folded so hopefully you're not using that as a measuring stick of his ability.


    No. One tackle in two games for a linebacker is poor enough as a measuring stick.
    I am not a guy who roots for stories, though.



    I can't find any information on how many snaps he actually played. Apparently you watched the games or something?

    "rooting for stories" is one thing but facts are something else entirely. He could have been on the roster for one game without playing in it because he'd just signed, could have played very limited in the next game since he was new. Or by the time he signed he could have realized the writing was on the wall for the league folding and didn't want to go out and get hurt for no good reason before hopefully getting another chance in camp with an NFL team.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • Hawknballs wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:he was on the roster for two games, before the UFL folded so hopefully you're not using that as a measuring stick of his ability.


    No. One tackle in two games for a linebacker is poor enough as a measuring stick.
    I am not a guy who roots for stories, though.



    I can't find any information on how many snaps he actually played. Apparently you watched the games or something?

    "rooting for stories" is one thing but facts are something else entirely. He could have been on the roster for one game without playing in it because he'd just signed, could have played very limited in the next game since he was new. Or by the time he signed he could have realized the writing was on the wall for the league folding and didn't want to go out and get hurt for no good reason before hopefully getting another chance in camp with an NFL team.

    And he could be awful.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • I doubt the guy will ever be on an NFL roster. Going from Highschool to jail to NFL years later with little playing, experience, proper conditioning or coaching in between, is a long shot at best
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1535
    Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

    The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.


    Yeah cause if you just spent 10 years in prison for something that you didn't do the first thing I am sure you want to do is to leave the country - your family that you are just getting to see again - and go to Canada and maybe make some money. This compared to staying closer to home trying it out in the UFL and building that strenght. Also knowing that you can get onto the NFL roster in the off-season (like now) then you will have the best equipment, the best trainers and the best facilities to work out in which is the best way to maximize any chance that may exist for you to actually make it to the NFL.

    If Brian Banks had gone to the CFL last year then I am pretty sure he would have ended up nowhere. Now he can build up in the offseason and maybe get close (I don't think he lasts on the 53-man roster for Atlanta - Jacksonville maybe but not Atlanta) and THEN if he fails he will be much more prepared for the CFL and try to sign there and actually get playing time and try again for the NFL next year.

    Will it all pan out - who knows but sticking around the NFL is to me the significantly better option and I think he will be hired into one of the offices if the playing never gets started.

    I like the fact that the league looks out for one of their own that was completely innocent. This isn't a robber that got caught for the wrong robbery...........
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3726
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Scottemojo wrote:And he could be awful.


    or he could be great

    or he could be average

    or he could be a good special teams guy

    or he could be a good practice squad guy

    or he could go through another training camp and just not make the cut

    Either way whether or not you "like" stories, it's still a great opportunity for a guy who was in prison a few years ago, captain negativity. Pretty sure a lot of people here would have loved to have had the chance to wash out of an NFL training camp. And I'm pretty sure not many people here spent 5 years in the joint for a crime they didn't commit. So whether or not you "like" stories, it's already a good one, does it really bother you that much?
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • AVL wrote:Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?


    He isn't a guy that had problems that got caught for the wrong crime. He is a football player that was known for being a football player. He was going to be a star and he got singled out most likely because of being a football player (I know the NCAA likes to call them student athletes but lets be honest here).

    The game of football and those involved in it that have a chance to make things slightly less wrong (because it can never be made right here) are stepping up to the plate. The sports media, the NFL, agents etc everyone should and are doing the right thing for this person. That is all that matters
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3726
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • mikeak wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

    The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.


    Yeah cause if you just spent 10 years in prison for something that you didn't do the first thing I am sure you want to do is to leave the country - your family that you are just getting to see again - and go to Canada and maybe make some money. This compared to staying closer to home trying it out in the UFL and building that strenght. Also knowing that you can get onto the NFL roster in the off-season (like now) then you will have the best equipment, the best trainers and the best facilities to work out in which is the best way to maximize any chance that may exist for you to actually make it to the NFL.

    If Brian Banks had gone to the CFL last year then I am pretty sure he would have ended up nowhere. Now he can build up in the offseason and maybe get close (I don't think he lasts on the 53-man roster for Atlanta - Jacksonville maybe but not Atlanta) and THEN if he fails he will be much more prepared for the CFL and try to sign there and actually get playing time and try again for the NFL next year.

    Will it all pan out - who knows but sticking around the NFL is to me the significantly better option and I think he will be hired into one of the offices if the playing never gets started.

    I like the fact that the league looks out for one of their own that was completely innocent. This isn't a robber that got caught for the wrong robbery...........


    Dude, he's not suggesting he go play in Belarus. I've known people who commute to the states from here. If he actually got on in Atlanta, that's something like 2,000 miles from his home in LA. If he got on in like Buffalo or something it's even farther. There are 5 teams in the CFL that are geographically closer to LA than Atlanta with direct flights to LA from all of them. The whole "Canada's too far from his family" arguement is just ignorant. Are you Steve Francis? Did God tell him not to play in Canada? Sucka please...

    The second bolded part is just funny. Hired into a league office doing what exactly? Doesn't he only have like a grade 11 education? Or one of those highly respected prision GEDs? Are they going to get him a job makin' copaaaays? :34853_doh:
    WAR BEAVER!!
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • ^ Yes I think they will hire him to make copies if that is all he can do. If he is on a roster he takes up a spot and a minimum salary. If an owner wants to simply give him money he can't do it putting the kid on the team because it directly hurts the team (unless he makes the team on his own merit). For a billionaire to put him in the front office doing WHATEVER doesn't hurt the team and I would not be surprised to see it.

    In regards to travel - the point was in regards to LAST YEAR. When he went to VEGAS to play which is close to home. I stated try to make the NFL this year or then go to Canada. I just fully understand why he didn't go to Canada last year.

    Living in Buffalo working in Canada is one thing. Kind of not what was being discussed here.....
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3726
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • If I recall, he ran a 4.8 in the 40 recently. Not what we're looking for.
    Image
    User avatar
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1413
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Pete seems to be Banks' biggest fan. I'll bet he really, really wanted to bring Banks back in, but didn't want him to waste his time, and his shot at landing on a roster, if he didn't think there was a realistic chance of him making the Seahawks roster.

    Great story; if he makes a team, there will be a big-budget film made about his life. Unfortunately, he's just got too much to overcome from a football standpoint. I'd be surprised if he ever makes a roster, but I hope he can sneak onto a practice squad (which is probably best case scenario), or spend some time in the CFL, where he can at least make a respectable living (I have no clue how much CFL players make; based on nothing, I'm guessing it's roughly WNBA money).
    User avatar
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *
     
    Posts: 3592
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:42 pm
    Location: St. Louis, MO


  • Rat wrote:(I have no clue how much CFL players make; based on nothing, I'm guessing it's roughly WNBA money).


    Stars can make million dollar contracts, but on an annual basis, those salaries work out to be like $450-$500k ish. I believe league minimum is something like $45k/year. I think the average salary is something like $75-80k. Starters are probably about $100k/year.

    It's funny, when I was a kid I remember the BC Lions had a really good tailback named John Volpe. We lost him to a different kind of free agency... he left be become a mortgage broker because he could make more money. LOL. I just looked him up on Wikipedia just now and apparently he's a millionare and owns a successful mortgage company, so I guess he chose well.

    When I played in highschool, we had the Lions starting guard come out and help coach our team. He drove a tow truck to supplement his income. And this was a starter! ...though in hindsight, i think he just really enjoyed driving that tow truck.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • Rat wrote:Pete seems to be Banks' biggest fan. I'll bet he really, really wanted to bring Banks back in, but didn't want him to waste his time, and his shot at landing on a roster, if he didn't think there was a realistic chance of him making the Seahawks roster.

    Great story; if he makes a team, there will be a big-budget film made about his life. Unfortunately, he's just got too much to overcome from a football standpoint. I'd be surprised if he ever makes a roster, but I hope he can sneak onto a practice squad (which is probably best case scenario), or spend some time in the CFL, where he can at least make a respectable living (I have no clue how much CFL players make; based on nothing, I'm guessing it's roughly WNBA money).


    If someone wants to make a movie the "little detail" if he makes it back to the NFL will not matter :). You know that BASED on a true story will make this into a film where at the end he makes the field even if in reality he only made the pre-season roster :).
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3726
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • -The Glove- wrote:
    AVL wrote:Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?


    What a dumb thing to say. Not saying you're dumb. Your entire post is though.

    As for Banks, he was nowhere near football shape. The little video they had of him practicing with the team, he was stumbling around and had no legs under him. I'm sure its slowly all coming back to him now. Muscle memory's a fascinating thing.


    I didn't know high school jocks and blondes are screwed by the system. The system actually seems to benefit them.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1155
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:If I recall, he ran a 4.8 in the 40 recently. Not what we're looking for.


    Faster than Manti Teo, even after years of degenerating in prison. Wow, can you imagine what kind of physical talent he had as a high-schooler? No wonder he was a top-10 high school prospect. Obviously, a small percentage of high school stars turn out in college, and even a smaller percentage turn into good NFL players, but he had as good of a chance as anyone. And that was all taken away from him by a lying, money hungry, scandalous teenage girl and her family.
    Image

    Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    User avatar
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 879
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am
    Location: Bellevue, WA


  • Hawknballs wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:And he could be awful.


    or he could be great

    or he could be average

    or he could be a good special teams guy

    or he could be a good practice squad guy

    or he could go through another training camp and just not make the cut

    Either way whether or not you "like" stories, it's still a great opportunity for a guy who was in prison a few years ago, captain negativity. Pretty sure a lot of people here would have loved to have had the chance to wash out of an NFL training camp. And I'm pretty sure not many people here spent 5 years in the joint for a crime they didn't commit. So whether or not you "like" stories, it's already a good one, does it really bother you that much?


    I said I hope he makes it. Clearly, my lack of sentimentality is more than balanced out some of the more maudlin members of this board. Shall I get you a tissue?

    Simple truth is Pete had him and let him go. Didn't even consider him a practice squader. The coach of some of the best linebackers in the NFL over the last ten years needed only a couple of days to make up his mind. That was enough for me.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Simple truth is Pete had him and let him go. Didn't even consider him a practice squader. The coach of some of the best linebackers in the NFL over the last ten years needed only a couple of days to make up his mind. That was enough for me.


    That was also a year ago, a year less out of prison. It's entirely possible he's in better shape and more prepared.

    I know, I know. "logic". It's a pain in the butt.

    I'm not sure what to think of the tissue comment . . . do you have to be a crying emo to appreciate a good story, tough guy?
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • ensett wrote:I doubt the guy will ever be on an NFL roster. Going from Highschool to jail to NFL years later with little playing, experience, proper conditioning or coaching in between, is a long shot at best

    That is my thought on the matter but I really hope to be proven wrong.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8043
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • Hawknballs wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Simple truth is Pete had him and let him go. Didn't even consider him a practice squader. The coach of some of the best linebackers in the NFL over the last ten years needed only a couple of days to make up his mind. That was enough for me.


    That was also a year ago, a year less out of prison. It's entirely possible he's in better shape and more prepared.

    I know, I know. "logic". It's a pain in the butt.

    I'm not sure what to think of the tissue comment . . . do you have to be a crying emo to appreciate a good story, tough guy?


    Logic: The practice squad is where you put players who will be good in a year. When they are in better shape. And more prepared. Pete didn't do that.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • -He wasn't NFL material.

    -Pete passed on him.

    /Thread
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2235
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Logic: The practice squad is where you put players who will be good in a year. When they are in better shape. And more prepared. Pete didn't do that.



    yes. Players that have also been playing football for the past several years.

    Not sitting in a prison cell.

    Great logic.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • Hawknballs wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Logic: The practice squad is where you put players who will be good in a year. When they are in better shape. And more prepared. Pete didn't do that.



    yes. Players that have also been playing football for the past several years.

    Not sitting in a prison cell.

    Great logic.


    Yeah, well how much time, effort and money are you going to invest in a 27 year old guy who never even played a down of college football? The odds are stacked against him becoming anything more than training camp fodder. Feel good story though it may be, I'd rather our FO and coaching staff make the investment in young guys with potential and a future. Banks' potential should have been realized 2 years ago and by the time he actually gets enough experience to take advantage of whatever potential he has left, he'll be 30+ y/o. No, unfortunately for him, I believe the absolute pinacle of what he can aspire to be in the NFL at this point is training camp fodder.

    Sorry Mr. Banks, but life served you a really, really, reeealy shitty hand. My heart bleeds for you, it really does, but the NFL is not a charity. If you are serious about wanting to play professional football sometime before your physically unable to do so, you'd best head north and try to play in the CFL.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    User avatar
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *
     
    Posts: 11572
    Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
    Location: PoCompton, BC Canada


  • I was one of the first people to point out to people when this broke last year that the NFL is not a charity. I took the unpopular stance on the subject that it was unfortunate if it really was a charity case to bring him in because he was taking up a spot that some other young hopeful but not likely to make it athlete could have had on the team.

    However I fail to see how everyone here is suddenly such an expert on the guy. "go to canada" sentiment is sort of ignorant seeing as how he's got himself a chance to play in the NFL with the Falcons, despite the opinions of the obvious experts on this thread.

    Is it a 'charity' to bring in anyone in the offseason who likely won't make the team? There are going to be guys in camp and who will suit up for preseason games whom won't be on the seahawks squad or practice squad whent he season starts, is that all just 'charity'?

    I'm going to go ahead and assume the falcons aren't bringing him in as a useless placeholder.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • Hawknballs wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Logic: The practice squad is where you put players who will be good in a year. When they are in better shape. And more prepared. Pete didn't do that.



    yes. Players that have also been playing football for the past several years.

    Not sitting in a prison cell.

    Great logic.


    Ours is the FO who just signed a basketball player with no college experience to a real contract, so he can play tight end, maybe. If they thought Banks had potential, they would have signed him.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Logic: The practice squad is where you put players who will be good in a year. When they are in better shape. And more prepared. Pete didn't do that.



    yes. Players that have also been playing football for the past several years.

    Not sitting in a prison cell.

    Great logic.


    Ours is the FO who just signed a basketball player with no college experience to a real contract, so he can play tight end, maybe. If they thought Banks had potential, they would have signed him.


    Not really fair. Fells has maintained conditioning as a professional athlete (albeit a different sport). His speed, endurance, strength, etc. has likely been unaffected by not playing football.
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4077
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • Fells, A conditioned athlete with insane measurables with a minimal 1.5m/3 year "real" contract basically to make sure he is in camp without visiting any other teams is quite a bit different than the banks situation.

    FYI Fells is the minimum per year, and nothing is guaranteed. So basically he can be cut at any time.

    http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seah ... ren-fells/

    0 risk high reward for a 6'7" 280 LB tight end.

    He was signed so he wouldn't get snatched up by other teams. That obviously wasn't the case for Banks for obvious reasons.

    Not sure what is relevant about that or what your point is.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • DavidSeven wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:

    yes. Players that have also been playing football for the past several years.

    Not sitting in a prison cell.

    Great logic.


    Ours is the FO who just signed a basketball player with no college experience to a real contract, so he can play tight end, maybe. If they thought Banks had potential, they would have signed him.


    Not really fair. Fells has maintained conditioning as a professional athlete (albeit a different sport). His speed, endurance, strength, etc. has likely been unaffected by not playing football.

    And Brian Banks was training with a trainer that gets players ready for the draft for quite a while before his Hawks tryout. Point is, neither has played football at all for a long time. Banks was not signed to the expanded 90 man roster, 10 more players than normal. Instead, Seattle signed a 220 pound LB, Kyle Knox, to the spot Banks was trying to get.

    Yeah, I know, I didn't remember Knox either.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • I still don't see your point, you're talking about a year removed from whatever condition Banks is in now. I'm not sure what that has to do with last year's 90 man roster or whatever you're going on about.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • Hawknballs wrote:I still don't see your point, you're talking about a year removed from whatever condition Banks is in now. I'm not sure what that has to do with last year's 90 man roster or whatever you're going on about.



    Image
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11679
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Because its been a year, hes had a few attempts with teams now, and is 27. Other people need to stop being illogical. This was a feel good story last year... ESPN is just trying to rehash the same damn story for some ratings.
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 280
    Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:18 pm


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Hawknballs wrote:I still don't see your point, you're talking about a year removed from whatever condition Banks is in now. I'm not sure what that has to do with last year's 90 man roster or whatever you're going on about.



    Image


    Dude! That's Giorgio the Ancient Aliens guy!
    Image
    "...Seattle has become the capital city of the New NFL" - Kip Earlywine
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    User avatar
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Mechanic *
     
    Posts: 7140
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: Beneath, Between & Behind


  • Ah the ancient aliens concession.

    I accept.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am




It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information