What was the reason the Seahawks didn't sign Brian Banks?

fsmassey

Reaction score
I have read a few articles about him and noticed that Pete Carroll was the first person to give him a work out. I am probably going to be following this guy during the season, with interest in his story and his career. I am wondering, though, what was the reason that he didn't sign with the 'Hawks?

I confess that I don't know much about team building, off season things, so I don't know as to whether or not the Seahawks need a player at his position, or if we're not in high demand for his position.

nategreat

Reaction score
Probably because he had just gotten released and was rusty to say the least. Imagine missing all those years of football, college included. While an athletic phenom growing up, he was in prison for a LONG time. That's a lot of time and experience to make up for. I was pulling for him, but when it came down to it, he just wasn't quite ready to make an NFL roster. I hope he catches on in Atlanta though :thirishdrinkers:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
He just wasn't ready. Would be ridiculous for anyone to make up that kind of ground in a matter of days. Good on Pete for being the first to give him a shot and helping to get his story out, though.

Pete Carroll: I was hoping-- I was really hopeful that something good was going to happen. But in the workout, you could see that he just couldn't make up the ground. And those 10 years, I don't know who could have.

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Still way too rusty coming out of prison, wasn't a desperate enough position need for us to gamble and assume he would realize his youthful potential. . Also, Schneider and Carroll leave no player un-scouted. He was one of the 95% of players who workout for the Hawks that end up in nothing more. Just a curiosity as well as a courtesy check based on his story and Pete's history with Brian.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I do love Pete for giving Banks his first shot at the golden ring, Brian also gave Pete a big thank you for giving him the opportunity.
I too, hope that he gets his wheels underneath, I don't know of ANYONE who deserves it more than this kid does.

AVL

Reaction score
Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?

-The Glove-

Reaction score
AVL":rouzthyv said:
Geese, I wish half the people screwed over by the system got this much attention, his 15 minutes being of fame having expired. Do high school jocks and blondes get preferential treatment by the media?

What a dumb thing to say. Not saying you're dumb. Your entire post is though.

As for Banks, he was nowhere near football shape. The little video they had of him practicing with the team, he was stumbling around and had no legs under him. I'm sure its slowly all coming back to him now. Muscle memory's a fascinating thing.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Banks projected as more of a SOLB than WOLB and the team is well stocked at his position making his shot at breaking in here more remote. The team looked hard at him last season as well.

Wish him nothing but success in following his dream which was taken from him.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He is still apparently talented enough to get a look from several pretty good teams so there is some raw ability there. I agree he'll never be a geat baller but he does have some skills and physical ability.

I really hope he succeeds b/c it'd be a tremendous story of a good man overcoming a mountain of adversity.

Teqneek

Reaction score
Jammer Hawk.. how do you figure. He tried last year, hes trying this year. Great publicity for a team that tries him out just like us last year. Several teams give anything a look when you need to fill holes.. :3-1:

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2w1vp1kb said:
I wish Banks the best, but he isn't going to be a great baller. Every interview it's the same I'm just so honored to be here and happy to even get a tryout aw shucks kind of stuff. If he was serious about ball he would be playing in Canada, arena, anything to get real reps. he didn't do those things even when there were offers.

The coaching he didn't get for all those years would have honed his attitude as much as his skills. Or weeded him out.

He played in the UFL last season (Las Vegas)...

Scottemojo

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":110qrk1d said:
Scottemojo":110qrk1d said:

I stand corrected. Good. It is worth noting that he was in two games and had one tackle in the UFL.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
AVL":37aiaamx said:

sort of ignorant. Most people 'screwed over' by the system don't get tryouts with NFL teams, so I'm not really sure what the point of this even is?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Scottemojo":eal2fci7 said:
FlyingGreg":eal2fci7 said:
Scottemojo":eal2fci7 said:

I stand corrected. Good. It is worth noting that he was in two games and had one tackle in the UFL.

he was on the roster for two games, before the UFL folded so hopefully you're not using that as a measuring stick of his ability.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawknballs":fx3v6lpy said:
Scottemojo":fx3v6lpy said:

he was on the roster for two games, before the UFL folded so hopefully you're not using that as a measuring stick of his ability.

No. One tackle in two games for a linebacker is poor enough as a measuring stick.
I am not a guy who roots for stories, though.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Scottemojo":269gfh5y said:
Hawknballs":269gfh5y said:
Scottemojo":269gfh5y said:

No. One tackle in two games for a linebacker is poor enough as a measuring stick.

I can't find any information on how many snaps he actually played. Apparently you watched the games or something?

"rooting for stories" is one thing but facts are something else entirely. He could have been on the roster for one game without playing in it because he'd just signed, could have played very limited in the next game since he was new. Or by the time he signed he could have realized the writing was on the wall for the league folding and didn't want to go out and get hurt for no good reason before hopefully getting another chance in camp with an NFL team.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawknballs":fu2sq9ij said:
Scottemojo":fu2sq9ij said:
Hawknballs":fu2sq9ij said:

I can't find any information on how many snaps he actually played. Apparently you watched the games or something?

"rooting for stories" is one thing but facts are something else entirely. He could have been on the roster for one game without playing in it because he'd just signed, could have played very limited in the next game since he was new. Or by the time he signed he could have realized the writing was on the wall for the league folding and didn't want to go out and get hurt for no good reason before hopefully getting another chance in camp with an NFL team.
And he could be awful.