Pro Football Talk's 2012 Re-Draft - Tannehill over Wilson?

HawkFanNC

Reaction score
Pointing out that an NFL analyst has his head up his butt is hardly breaking news. But Shaun King's take on Russell Wilson in this 2012 NFL "re-draft" is something to behold. Ryan Tannehill over Russell Wilson?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ball-talk/

:229031_banghead: :34853_doh: :229031_banghead: :34853_doh: :229031_banghead: :34853_doh: :229031_banghead: :34853_doh:

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well, Jacksonville did draft a punter in the 3rd round when Russell Wilson was still on the board, so maybe they just REALLY REALLY dislike short QB's.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
I wish this was in the shack. I have choice words to say about this fellow.

For now, what a moron.

kearly

Reaction score
Mine (independent of team need):

1. Russell Wilson: Probably would have had the best rookie season in NFL history had Pete trusted him to run the offense sooner.
2. Robert Griffin III: He's injury prone, but I'd bet even RG3 on a leash will outplay Andrew Luck in 2013.
3. Andrew Luck: Among the starting QBs with higher passer ratings than Luck in 2012: Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Christian Ponder, Matt Hasselbeck, and Blaine Gabbert (not joking).
4. Luke Kuechly: When Kuechly moved to MLB, his defense took off like a rocket. Anyone who wants to bash Kuechly- remember that JS wanted Kuechly a full round earlier than Wagner.
5. Doug Martin: Kind of a logjam for the final spot, I gave it to Martin over Alfred Morris. As a rookie 1926 he had rush+receiving yards. I'm amazed that isn't a rookie record.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":3idupnb3 said:
I wish this was in the shack. I have choice words to say about this fellow.

For now, what a moron.

Moron?, that just seems to come up way short of actual description of this ass, but as you've already conceded, this is NOT the "smack shack"

Lady Talon

Reaction score
kearly":2becmv8w said:
Mine (independent of team need):

1. Russell Wilson: Probably would have had the best rookie season in NFL history had Pete trusted him to run the offense sooner.
2. Robert Griffin III: He's injury prone, but I'd bet even RG3 on a leash will outplay Andrew Luck in 2013.
3. Andrew Luck: Among the starting QBs with higher passer ratings than Luck in 2012: Kevin Kolb, Carson Palmer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Christian Ponder, Matt Hasselbeck, and Blaine Gabbert (not joking).

a) Imagine if Russell had Miller as an active target instead of him having to pass block against constant blitzes on obvious pass downs with that vanilla play calling. I think he'd have set an NFL record much less a rookie record. lol.
b) I feel bad for RJoeThiesmann III. Maybe Shanahan will protect him better, but I don't have any faith in that.
c) Also among the quarterbacks with a higher completion percentage then Luck in 2012: Mark Sanchez. Ouch.

I'd put Tannehill in there for a solid season. He could have done a lot worse.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I can just see Jacksonville's war room considering their options...

"Russell Wilson is the best QB and best player on the board. But Seattle is the perfect situation for him, so we're going to select Ryan Tannehill."
"Yep."

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Shaun King's an idiot.

His comments lead me to believe that he was only thinking of the effect on last year's W-L record for the first five teams picking.

You don't draft players for one year's results.

In a re-draft, your draft order is based on results in year one PLUS the projected upside of each player based on everything you learned about him during his rookie year.

99 out of 100 knowledgeable people would rank Russell in the top-5 players of the 2012 draft.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
HawkFanNC":10vp9hpb said:
Pointing out that an NFL analyst has his head up his butt is hardly breaking news. But Shaun King's take on Russell Wilson in this 2012 NFL "re-draft" is something to behold. Ryan Tannehill over Russell Wilson?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ball-talk/

:229031_banghead: :34853_doh: :229031_banghead: :34853_doh: :229031_banghead: :34853_doh: :229031_banghead: :34853_doh:
Not that Tannehill is bad or anything but King has to know he wouldn't be taken seriously right?

bigcc

Reaction score
King can't even pronounce kuechly correctly (who is kookly?), and he has the browns taking Kalil when they already have Joe Thomas...... dude is a clown

Hawknballs

Reaction score
There are a lot of people who doubt Russell's ability to do it long term.

Worth noting that most of these people have only heard rumors of wilson's work ethic but probably don't really know the extent of it or believe it.

People like Shaun King who washed out because they were reportedly lazy.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Interesting that Luck is still widely considered the #1 prospect of the 2012 class despite having two rookies outperform him in every meaningful QB metric last year. Bias toward tall white QBs is alive and well in the nation. Don't give me the "he's a true pocket passer" crap. Luck didn't demonstrate that he could do even that better than Wilson or RG3.

bigcc

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2dd4ou1s said:
Interesting that Luck is still widely considered the #1 prospect of the 2012 class despite having two rookies outperform him in every meaningful QB metric last year. Bias toward tall white QBs is alive and well in the nation. Don't give me the "he's a true pocket passer" crap. Luck didn't demonstrate that he could do even that better than Wilson or RG3.

to be fair he took a team in a MUCH worse position than the other two into the playoffs, not to mention RG3 has Morris, Wilson has Beast, Luck has.... ummm?

DavidSeven

Reaction score
bigcc":2svvzf13 said:
DavidSeven":2svvzf13 said:

to be fair he took a team in a MUCH worse position than the other two into the playoffs, not to mention RG3 has Morris, Wilson has Beast, Luck has.... ummm?

Luck has Reggie Wayne who is by far the best WR on any of those three teams. The Colts also had one of the worst strength of schedules in the league. Their 11-5 record was a joke.

Rat

Reaction score
I think Tannehill has to be top 5 in a redraft, although obviously not over Wilson. Tannehill didn't have the season of the big 3, but he looked fantastic for a supposedly-raw rookie with a subpar group of targets in the passing game.

Rat

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2d2h2m9w said:
Luck has Reggie Wayne who is by far the best WR on any of those three teams. The Colts also had one of the worst strength of schedules in the league. Their 11-5 record was a joke.
Wayne is great. However, if you had to choose between these two supporting casts:

1. Reggie Wayne, TY Hilton, Donnie Avery, Coby Fleener, Vick Ballard (RB), Donald Brown (RB)

2. Sidney Rice, Golden Tate, Doug Baldwin, Zach Miller, Marshawn Lynch

It's not even close which one you take. Not to mention that the Seahawks had a much, MUCH better defense, along with a better offensive line than the Colts.

That's not to say that I'd take Luck over Wilson; I wouldn't.

I don't see why, as Seahawks fans, we have to bash Luck at every turn believe that he is some overrated hack. He's an amazing young talent, and fans of both the Colts and Seahawks should be absolutely thrilled to have an elite-caliber QB on their roster for likely the next decade plus.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Rat":2viqu41i said:
I think Tannehill has to be top 5 in a redraft, although obviously not over Wilson. Tannehill didn't have the season of the big 3, but he looked fantastic for a supposedly-raw rookie with a subpar group of targets in the passing game.

Hmm. I only got a good look at Tannehill in the Seahawks game, but his numbers don't look very good at all. He had a worse passer rating, QBR and completion percentage than Matt Moore had for the Dolphins in 2011. Granted, they lost Brandon Marshall and were still a better overall team with Tannehill than with Moore, but some of that credit has to go on the new head coach.

I think he's OK in the 5-10 range. Vikings still take Kalil at #4 over Tannehill. The rest of the top 10 depends on team need and draft positioning. Tampa Bay had the original #5, and I don't think they would start Tannehill over Josh Freeman. They'd probably be happier taking Kuechly. The only way Tannehill goes #5 is if Jacksonville still trades up to that spot.