Excellent History of our Seahawks...

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Great Seahawks history page I stumbled across that will help educate some of our new fans that are showing up here, especially the new fans from England and around the world. It's pretty comprehensive. I even learned a few things I didn't know about our history. Pretty good read for any of us. I was flushed with some fond, and not so fond memories reading through it and felt the anguish all over again over that 20 years with no playoffs... Damn I'm glad that's all behind us for the time being! 8)

Damn You 1992 Season and the meaningless win against New England that cost us Drew Bledsoe!!! Arghhhh!!! Yeah, that still irks me! :x :D

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?di ... e_id=10217

irocdave

Reaction score
Great read for the junior members on the Hawks bandwagon. I remembered more dark voids but as time has slipped by it doesnt seem as bad. Guess that has to do with where the Hawks are destined to finish for 2013. My dad has been a Hawks fan since day 1 as well me and my 3 brothers. Over the last 2 decades he has vented to me that he will never see a Seattle franchise win a championship. He fell asleep at halftime of the Hawks near comeback in last years playoff game with the Falcons. I called him and made my mom wake him up with a minute and a half left in the game so he could watch in glory. Well, that didnt work out so well. Even my dads doubts have faded for this years team. He knows what this year is about and honestly, I think 2013 will keep him alive so he can finnaly watch a home town team dominate and win a world championship. He has gone from the ultimate doubter to the ultimate homer. His favorite players are Russel and Shermin. Trust me, Shermins personality isnt one he would normally support but Sherm seems to attack larger mouths than his and attackers of underdogs. Anyhow, all I can say is GO HAWKS!

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
What can't someone around here who cares about team history write something like that? Shameful!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
BlueThunder":31j43dlh said:
Damn You 1992 Season and the meaningless win against New England that cost us Drew Bledsoe!!! Arghhhh!!! Yeah, that still irks me! :x :D

I look at it this way: We drafted Mirer, got a decent year out of him, then traded him to the Bears for the pick that turned out to be Big Walt.

It definitely worked out much better in the end for us.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Very nice! Sure glad they didn't go with THIS mascot!!

seattle_seahawksclip2.jpg

Bakergirl

Reaction score
Great read thanks for posting! As a child of the 80's, I remember watching a good chunk of that history, but some of it was before my time. Good stuff none the less. :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1axkekv3 said:
BlueThunder":1axkekv3 said:

I look at it this way: We drafted Mirer, got a decent year out of him, then traded him to the Bears for the pick that turned out to be Big Walt.

It definitely worked out much better in the end for us.

Holy Crap! Seriously? Then in that case, it turned out to be arguably the best trade in our history (Well, besides Steve Largent for an 8th rounder, probably the biggest steal in NFL History)! Now I feel completely different about that whole situation... Amazing! :shock: :D Bears fans in the know must still be agonizing over that one!

SE174

Reaction score
Keyhawk":tkslv9md said:
Thanks for posting this.
+1

I didn't really start paying attention to the NFL and become a Seahawk fan until 2004 (I was a huge nerd in HS), so most everything before the early 2000s was unknown to me. Ken Behring sounds like a real POS and dumbass. :pukeface:

OP
OP
BlueThunder

BlueThunder

Reaction score
SE174":11hryu2c said:
Keyhawk":11hryu2c said:
Thanks for posting this.
+1

I didn't really start paying attention to the NFL and become a Seahawk fan until 2004 (I was a huge nerd in HS), so most everything before the early 2000s was unknown to me. Ken Behring sounds like a real POS and dumbass. :pukeface:

Ken Behring was a colossal piece of shit! Worst....owner....EVER!! He was the guy that gave Clay Bennett (Sonics) the roadmap to steal a team. Run 'em into the ground, then steal them when the fan base shrinks to minimize the impact. Fortunately, the NFL nixed the deal to turn the Seahawks into the Oakland Blackhawks. Those were such dark days and I, as well as every single person on this board, is grateful for the NFL's intervention to prevent that tragedy! I can still picture the guys trying to stop the semi's from taking the Seahawks equipment down to California. I was so damn upset that day...

This right here taken from that article should infuriate any Seahawks fan...

Knox coached the Seahawks to a 9-7 season in 1990, but he and Behring collided in the spring of 1991 over how to use the team’s first-round draft choice. The coach wanted to pick Brett Favre (b. 1969), who would become one of the league’s all-time elite quarterbacks. The owner insisted on taking Dan McGwire (b. 1967), a 6-foot-8 quarterback from San Diego State who would play in only 12 games and throw only two touchdown passes in the next four years before being released. Knox silently seethed. He finished that season -- another 7-9, fourth-place campaign -- and five days later the team /announced that, by mutual agreement, he was leaving. Flores replaced him on January 6, 1992, assuming the title of President/Head Coach.

And that was when we were thrust into the dark, dark days of fandom...

Seafan

Reaction score
Big error on the last picture. They incorrectly identify a gentleman next to Paul Allen as "team president Mike McCormack". Mike was a great guy but no longer was with the Hawks in 2006. He was sadly fired by over behring and replaced with his son. Mike's only mistake was not guaranteeing the contract offer to Warren Moon in 1984. That would have catapulted the Hawk franchise. The Nordstrom's also deserve some static for selling the franchise to a Californian who was also an idiot. Nothing quite like going 20 years without a playoff team. Hello, Mariner fans!

olyfan63

Reaction score
BlueThunder":sf34ad3i said:
Ken Behring was a colossal piece of shit! Worst....owner....EVER!! He was the guy that gave Clay Bennett (Sonics) the roadmap to steal a team. Run 'em into the ground, then steal them when the fan base shrinks to minimize the impact. Fortunately, the NFL nixed the deal to turn the Seahawks into the Oakland Blackhawks.

I agree 100% with everything you say about Behring and raise you another 100%.
However, I disagree with the idea that Clay Bennett ran the Sonics into the ground in the sort of way Behring did to the Seahawks. Bennett's people simply used the time in Seattle to focus on rebuilding so the team would be good by the time it was moved to OKC. So yes, they saw to it that Seattle fans suffered through the rebuilding process, only to have the just-becoming-good team, and the electrifying Kevin Durant, immediately stolen by OKC. Bennett's people were competent and had a plan and executed it. Behring was an incompetent idiot and buffoon. The people Behring brought in were either not so competent, and/or handcuffed by idiot Behring or his minions.

The example given about disregarding Knox's wishes to draft Brett Favre instead of Dan McGwire was a great illustration of the idiocy of the Behring years. Just makes ya really appreciate Paul Allen...