Update: After working out 4, Seahawks to sign Brady Quinn

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • cacksman wrote:Ed Werder‏@Edwerderespn10m
    Sounding like Seahawks were most impressed with Brady Quinn at yesterday's 4-QB tryout and will pursue signing to be Russell Wilson's backup

Heard this as well from a different person, but same news. Signs currently pointing towards Quinn.

It's just a backup position and he does have NFL experience, so at least we wouldn't be sitting with a rookie back there or someone with no NFL game experience like Portis.

I don't think I'd really mind this if it comes to fruition....Wilson starting with Quinn backing him up and Portis as the 3rd string

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• If he can still complete a handoff and a swing pass, he'll be fine.

Honestly, I always felt Quinn was a better option than Colt McCoy. I trust whatever decision PC/JS make based on the workout. They're doing the right due diligence.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Seahawks to sign Quinn today
Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:51 am
  • 12th Man Rising
    Apr 9th, 2013 at 12:35 pm by Keith Myers
    http://12thmanrising.com/2013/04/09/sea ... dium=email

"It seems the Seahawks have made a decision following yesterday’s 4 QB tryout. USA Today’s Mike Garafolo is reporting that Brady Quinn will be signed to backup Russell Wilson."
    Last edited by Hawknight on Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Beer, Football, Family=A wonderful life.
    Hawknight
    * Class Act Hawk Fan *

Re: Seahawks to sign Quinn today
Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:55 am
  • Huh. Out of those 4 QB's who were supposed to work out with us, he's probably the guy I wanted least. Oh well, just a backup.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:56 am
  • If he can still complete a handoff and a swing pass, he'll be fine.

Honestly, I always felt Quinn was a better option than Colt McCoy. I trust whatever decision PC/JS make based on the workout. They're doing the right due diligence.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    cacksman wrote:Ed Werder‏@Edwerderespn10m
    Sounding like Seahawks were most impressed with Brady Quinn at yesterday's 4-QB tryout and will pursue signing to be Russell Wilson's backup

Oh God PLEASE no!!! IMO,the worst of the four. Please let this be false.

Man, it's a backup position. And when you're talking about that particular group, is there really a lot of difference between the "best of the four" and the "worst of the four"?

Given that none of them really have any career worth highlighting, why not make the judgment based on what they actually put in front of our coaching staff during the workout?

Now, I'll admit that I don't really care about Quinn one way or another, but I will say that it would be interesting to see how he might respond with a team that had some talent. He's been with Cleveland, KC, and Denver. None of those are really teams known for roster building and talent with the possible exception of Denver, and Quinn never saw the field there. And honestly, that's what I would expect from him in Seattle... never seeing the field.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 pm
  • Somebody needs to carry Russell's bags and go to Home Depot to restock his collection of sticky notes. Quinn is just as qualified as any other.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:00 pm
  • ahh I hate cry baby quinn , hopefully his softness doesn't rub off on anyone.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:01 pm
  • I used to be absurdly high on Brady Quinn. I still think he could have been something special had be been drafted by almost anyone else.

That being said, he hasn't done much in his career to show that the lofty expectations I had for him were warranted. Hopefully, our coaching staff can turn that light on in him.
    Last edited by Rat on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm
  • Definitely not the Mighty Quinn, more like the MEEK Quinn.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:02 pm
  • EastCoastHawksFan wrote:ahh I hate cry baby quinn , hopefully his softness doesn't rub off on anyone.

You really think one guy's "softness" will rub off on the Seahawks, versus the rest of this Seahawks team causing Quinn to toughen up? Man, he must be charismatic as hell.

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:06 pm
  • Rat wrote:I used to be absurdly high on Brady Quinn. I still think he could have been something special had be been drafted by almost anyone else.

Ditto. Was very high on him early on. Of course, his numbers have been AWFUL thus far. However, he's only gotten playing time on terrible rosters, and he was sort of screwed over in Denver due to the public clamoring for Tebow. By all accounts, Quinn beat him out in camp and practice (not a huge accomplishment, but still...).

Never thought highly of Leinart or Thigpen ever, so this doesn't really bother me. Plus, it's back up QB. Who freakin' cares.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• If he can carry the clip board he will be fine. If Wilson gets hurt then I will worry. He most have shown them something
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:10 pm
  • Interesting because Phil Simms on Brock this morning said he would prefer Quinn. Not a fan but maybe it's all about coaching with Brady Quinn. If you are interested you can find the link to the podcast here

http://mynorthwest.com/?nid=573
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Dosen't speak to his on field abilities, but I distinctly remember gaining a ton of respect for Quinn after how he handled the unfortunate Jovan Belcher incident last year, and the press conference he gave. Very eloquent and thoughtful.
    Definitely a guy who clearly always wants whats best for his team & teammates.
    GCrow
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:11 pm
  • Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 43s
    Apparently Seneca Wallace really impressed in Seattle, too, even if it appears they liked Brady Quinn a bit more. Maybe he lands in Oakland
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• Notre Dame stunk before he got there, did well when he was there, and then stunk again after he left. Meanwhile, the Browns and Chiefs stunk before and after he was on those teams, so I wouldn't fully judge him by his stats in the NFL.
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:16 pm
  • razgriz737 wrote:Huh. Out of those 4 QB's who were supposed to work out with us, he's probably the guy I wanted least. Oh well, just a backup.

That's where I'm at with this as well. But if Pete/JS think they can fit the guy in to the point where he'll be a decent backup (guy who can go at least 2-2 over a 4 game stretch, maybe 3-1 with this team) I guess I have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Still, Quinn, blech.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Welcome aboard Quinn. Now go get me some coffee and one of those donuts... then go stand over there with that clip board and wait for me to acknowledge you.
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

Brady Quinn signed
Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:17 pm
  • Per 710 ESPN.

I would have gone with Thigpen, but oh well.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Thigpen and Leinart must have stunk it up in the workout if Quinn and Wallace are the ones getting good buzz out of it. This really shouldn't surprise anyone, though.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• Guys - us watching those teams on live doesn't compare with our coaching staff looking at them on the all-22 films and working them out. They must have showed something to prove that they are good enough to be signed. We are looking at probaby $1.5million-$2 million / year so Quinn and Seneca must have shown good ability and film must have backed something up.

I am not going to fault anyone for failing in Cleveland.....
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    Rat wrote:I used to be absurdly high on Brady Quinn. I still think he could have been something special had be been drafted by almost anyone else.

Ditto. Was very high on him early on. Of course, his numbers have been AWFUL thus far. However, he's only gotten playing time on terrible rosters, and he was sort of screwed over in Denver due to the public clamoring for Tebow. By all accounts, Quinn beat him out in camp and practice (not a huge accomplishment, but still...).

Never thought highly of Leinart or Thigpen ever, so this doesn't really bother me. Plus, it's back up QB. Who freakin' cares.

AS mentioned by Volsung... please view the teams he played with.. he was suppose to do anythjing but fail with that ineptitude
    Teqneek
    NET Rookie

• Yes it's "just a backup" but at the very least, a good back up QB can make the rest of the team better. Better reps in practice for WR, TEs and RBs, better scouting for the defense, faster acclimation to the play book / game plan, better film study meetings, better competition for RW (not that he needs it, but is central to this program) etc.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

• The SEA/SF chess match continues. This time at backup QB.

Schneider "Oh yeah San Fran? I see your former Cleveland Browns 3rd round draft pick and I raise with a former Browns 1st rounder.

Not the biggest fan of the move but what do I know? Plus, he's just a backup. Has some experience but what really impressed me, as noted above, was his press conference after the Chiefs got a W after the Belcher tragedy. Very well said by Mr. Quinn. I never really bought the hype on him coming out of Notre Dame, but I definitely thought he'd do better than he did. A lot of that has to do with being drafted by the Browns though.

Here's wishing him the best in the Pacific Northwest!

Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 pm
  • Don't you mean Office Depot? Wrong depot..... :177692: :sarcasm_off:

I haven't posted in a while. This place smells like Mickey Rourke.

JSeahawks wrote:Somebody needs to carry Russell's bags and go to Home Depot to restock his collection of sticky notes. Quinn is just as qualified as any other.
    Slick
    NET Veteran

• Still probably will have a few mugs calling sports radio next season asking to have Quinn start, because that is what we crazy fans do.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Sounds like he has potential to be a good QB room guy at the very least:

Adam Wright‏@BlueOsprey14m
    Raiders HC Dennis Allen on Brady Quinn (2012): "He's a pro in every sense of the word. He comes to work every day and works the right way."

Adam Wright‏@BlueOsprey12m
    Quinn, in a 2010 ESPN interview: "[My dad] taught me the best way to get an edge on someone is to outwork them." Quinn's dad was a marine.

Quinn cont'd: "I really feel that's the reason I never missed a game in college was because of how hard I worked and prepared myself."
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:If he can still complete a handoff and a swing pass, he'll be fine.

What I hate about Quinn is he is a mess in game situations. McCoy might be captain checkdown but Quinn has always had a horrible TD/INT rate.

To say he sucked just because it was the Browns isn't fair either. Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler with the very same roster Quinn failed to get the job done. The Chiefs have some decent offensive weapons (Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, Charles) and he still struggled.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Thank God. Now we can start worrying about the draft instead of backup QBs.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:Sounds like he has potential to be a good QB room guy at the very least:

Raiders HC Dennis Allen on Brady Quinn (2012): "He's a pro in every sense of the word. He comes to work every day and works the right way."

Quinn, in a 2010 ESPN interview: "[My dad] taught me the best way to get an edge on someone is to outwork them." Quinn's dad was a marine.

Quinn cont'd: "I really feel that's the reason I never missed a game in college was because of how hard I worked and prepared myself."

Those quotes sound a lot like another Qb on our roster.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• WestcoastSteve wrote:To say he sucked just because it was the Browns isn't fair either. Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler with the very same roster Quinn failed to get the job done. The Chiefs have some decent offensive weapons (Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, Charles) and he still struggled.

That 10-6 Browns team was an anamoly IMO. Even Anderson regressed a ton the following year. I think both QBs got screwed by Crennel's ridiculous waffling that following season. Perhaps irreparably.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• drdiags wrote:Still probably will have a few mugs calling sports radio next season asking to have Quinn start, because that is what we crazy fans do.

Maybe the FO decided on Quinn precisely so there WOULDN'T be anyone calling for him to start...

"Man, Wilson is regressing! He sucks now! Start Qu... you know what? Nevermind. Go Wilson!"

:stirthepot:

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• JSeahawks wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:Sounds like he has potential to be a good QB room guy at the very least:

Those quotes sound a lot like another Qb on our roster.

Can you say "film room BFFs"?
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• WestcoastSteve wrote:
    DavidSeven wrote:If he can still complete a handoff and a swing pass, he'll be fine.

What I hate about Quinn is he is a mess in game situations. McCoy might be captain checkdown but Quinn has always had a horrible TD/INT rate.

To say he sucked just because it was the Browns isn't fair either. Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler with the very same roster Quinn failed to get the job done. The Chiefs have some decent offensive weapons (Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, Charles) and he still struggled.

chiefs have no 1 pick for a reason...wasnt just qb play that struggled...i think quinn/portis battle will be very very close for backup job..
    jack_patera
    NET Rookie

• drdiags wrote:Still probably will have a few mugs calling sports radio next season asking to have Quinn start, because that is what we crazy fans do.

I'd imagine it'll go something like this...

"Quinn should start! He was a first rounder and Russell Wilson was only a third rounder!!! Wilson's gonna have a sophomore slump because he's too short and defenses will learn how to figure him out!!! Should have drafted Andy Dalton!!!"
    Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/
    NYCoug
    NET Veteran

• NYCoug wrote:
    drdiags wrote:Still probably will have a few mugs calling sports radio next season asking to have Quinn start, because that is what we crazy fans do.

I'd imagine it'll go something like this...

"Quinn should start! He was a first rounder and Russell Wilson was only a third rounder!!! Wilson's gonna have a sophomore slump because he's too short and defenses will learn how to figure him out!!! Should have drafted Andy Dalton!!!"

Just wait to see what they say if Wilson gets on the Madden cover! :roll:
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

LOL, thanks for the laff drdiags :D
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• My wife is going to love this signing.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• If Pete and company tried out all 4 QBs, and came to the conclusion that Quinn was the better fit for this team, then I am on board. I trust their opinions and outlook much more that any of you armchair coaches @ Seahawks.net. :mrgreen:
    Last edited by nategreat on Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    nategreat
    NET Veteran

• WestcoastSteve wrote:To say he sucked just because it was the Browns isn't fair either. Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler with the very same roster Quinn failed to get the job done. The Chiefs have some decent offensive weapons (Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, Charles) and he still struggled.

Yeah, Quinn hasn't done anything thrilling but that's kinda weak sauce, Anderson was a one hit wonder in what, four years on the Browns roster? And how many quarterbacks have gone to Kansas City purgatory to die over the last 8 or 10 years?
    LawlessHawk
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:
    WestcoastSteve wrote:To say he sucked just because it was the Browns isn't fair either. Derek Anderson was a Pro Bowler with the very same roster Quinn failed to get the job done. The Chiefs have some decent offensive weapons (Moeaki, Bowe, McCluster, Charles) and he still struggled.

That 10-6 Browns team was an anamoly IMO. Even Anderson regressed a ton the following year. I think both QBs got screwed by Crennel's ridiculous waffling that following season. Perhaps irreparably.

Yep. I remember rooting for them a bit that year. Of any in that division, it's easy to hope the Browns come out on top, kind of a "let him back up once you've kicked him around so long" kinda thing. Even then, it was kind of an anomaly, like you knew they were going to get skunked when they played anybody even above average. That season was wedged smack in the middle of nine losing seasons, where their best record aside from that was 6-10.

I like what I see about his work ethic. That translates to at least being a good teammate. And if he can hold a clipboard, and come in when he has to, or when the game's already out of reach, and hold his own, I'm fine with it. He doesn't have to be a world-beater.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I'm in....

@ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 51s
    Seahawks are signing Brady Quinn to back-up Russell Wilson after working out QBs yesterday
    Richard Sherman to Skip Bayless: "I'm tired of your ignorant pollution!"

Follow me on twitter: @seahawks_fan12
    SeahawksFanForever
    NET Veteran

• I'm pumped and jacked as well.
    Seaman
    NET Rookie

• chiefs have no 1 pick for a reason...wasnt just qb play that struggled...i think quinn/portis battle will be very very close for backup job..

Actually they were 5th in the NFL in rushing, 19th in sacks allowed, 20th in total defense. They also had 6 Pro Bowlers.

They were last in passing yards and second to last in QB rating. They had a horrible coach but I think the QB's had a big part of the Chiefs struggling, you know it's bad when the fans cheer when one of them gets injured.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• Lady Talon wrote:Thank God. Now we can start worrying about the draft instead of backup QBs.

lol, I agree. This will keep the pro/nay sayers busy for those few weeks.

:lol:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• The Radish wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:Thank God. Now we can start worrying about the draft instead of backup QBs.

Just wait for the epic Quinn vs Portis vs 7th round draft pick QB debate threads that await us this fall!
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• JSeahawks wrote:
    The Radish wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:Thank God. Now we can start worrying about the draft instead of backup QBs.

Just wait for the epic Quinn vs Portis vs 7th round draft pick QB debate threads that await us this fall!

That is at least grounded in the realm of possibility, at least trading for Tebow threads are done with.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information