Update: After working out 4, Seahawks to sign Brady Quinn

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Who can hand off to beast mode the best?

Being able to take a knee, also important.

NYCoug

Reaction score
No thanks to Leinart and Brady Quinn either. I'd honestly rather roll with Portis at that point.

Seneca, MAYBE. Although I'll never really forgive him for running out of bounds and taking the minus yardage instead of just tossing the ball out of bounds. Unforgivable in the NFL but I still have a soft spot for the guy.

Thigpen would be my favorite out of the group but that's based on nothing except for the fact that I thought he played okay with Kansas City when he got the chance. Don't know how much I'd trust him as the backup, although hopefully the backup never has to play.

Josh Portis for clipboard holder!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
This is all well and good, but I hope that these workouts and the Portis signing aren't indicating that Seattle has no interest in EJ Manuel or Matt Scott. I really want one of those two guys in the draft.

Probably, it's just Schneider doing his due diligence on these guys.

sutz

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":79en371k said:
This is all well and good, but I hope that these workouts and the Portis signing aren't indicating that Seattle has no interest in EJ Manuel or Matt Scott. I really want one of those two guys in the draft.

Probably, it's just Schneider doing his due diligence on these guys.
I figure it's this.

However, under the rules of ComPete, they might just be setting up a QB competition. :twisted:

J/K, really. Backup QB is important, but not critical IMHO. Probably any of those guys would suffice.

kf3339

Reaction score
I would go first with the one that could best help RW in the film room breaking down other teams defenses. From there it would then be which could manage the game best in a run-oriented offense since none of those guys should be pass first options.

I'm not sure who I would pick, but those would be my parameters.

NorthwestSportsFan

Reaction score
Out of that list I'd say Thigpen or Seneca. With that said, I'm more concerned about getting a quality nickle corner and getting a decent kicker than I am about backup QB. I'd be perfectly fine using a 5th round pick on a backup QB and let him and Portis compete.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Every available QB will get a look or at least be linked to Seattle who may then just draft a guy. It's all good and not unexpected as JS keeps the talking heads talking, while rolling over all the rocks.

sutz

Reaction score
jammerhawk":mm240i30 said:
Every available QB will get a look or at least be linked to Seattle who may then just draft a guy. It's all good and not unexpected as JS keeps the talking heads talking, while rolling over all the rocks.
Why "may then?" Why not both?. We're talking wa-a-a-ay pre camp here. Starting camp with 4 QBs is hardly unheard of. In fact, I think it's common. We have two now. Sign a FA and draft a rook.

:229031_shrug:

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'd be OK with bringing Seneca back. I agree with NYCoug, he drove me nuts by running the ball out of bounds for a loss of yards. And let's not forget he has a learning disability of some sort. That said, he did a good job taking over for an injured Matt in 2008 I believe, and he is a great athlete. I wouldn't have a problem with him coming in as a backup the same way I wouldn't have a problem with T-Jack coming in as a backup.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I wouldn't get excited about any of those. With a list like that I would expect to look like the Bears or Colts without their starting QB.

Where did Cassel end up?

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Statistically, approximately 1/6 of NFL teams will have to rely on their backup QB at some point next season, an even smaller percentage for a lengthy stretch of the season. Unless you have a crystal ball and can 100% guarantee that we will not be part of that percentage, we should take the search for a backup QB seriously. With the roster we're sitting on, to NOT have a "backup plan" (pun intended) would be galactically unforgivable. Aliens would come down and crap on PC/JS.

Is Portis ready to ditch the training wheels and play big-boy football? Has Wallace officially forgiven Wilson for being the QB he (Wallace) believed he could be coming out of Iowa St? Do any of us remember that Thigpen couldn't beat out Tavaris Jackson for a job in Minnesota under our current OC Darrell Bevell? Can Leinart stay out of a hot tub long enough to maintain the ruse that he still considers himself a football player?

Wallace is the only one of interest to me, with the stipulation that perhaps our coaching staff would actually curtail an offense to Wallace's strengths and abilities, meaning we'd see something different than Wallace's starting opportunities in 2008 & 2009, where frankly, he was unimpressive.

Holding a clipboard and taking a knee is the best case scenario. Worst case, we're sitting on a title contending roster and get caught with our pants down when the unexpected (yet predictable) occurs.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
All these people saying 'NO' to all of these guys...

You do realise we're holding a backup QB work out don't you?

One of these guys probably gets signed and wins the opportunity to compete with Portis and a rookie to be the backup during camp.

We're not looking for a franchise quarterback here. We're looking for a guy who can pull off a cap & clipboard combo.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
BlueTalon":14vg38wz said:
I'd be OK with bringing Seneca back. I agree with NYCoug, he drove me nuts by running the ball out of bounds for a loss of yards. And let's not forget he has a learning disability of some sort. That said, he did a good job taking over for an injured Matt in 2008 I believe, and he is a great athlete. I wouldn't have a problem with him coming in as a backup the same way I wouldn't have a problem with T-Jack coming in as a backup.
Wasn't it T-Jack in 2011 that ran out of bounds and losing a bunch of yards on a 4th down also?