Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:22 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4201
DavidSeven wrote:
volsunghawk wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:
Thanks a lot, Ed Werder. First, you publish an unsubstantiated report that the deal was close then you start a feeding frenzy for Winfield's services since teams are now more likely to copy what the Seahawks do. Poor reporting might cost us this one.


Personally, I don't think that Werder is a poor reporter. But I do believe that he has shown that he'll disseminate without question whatever a team or agent wants him to. Wouldn't be surprised if Werder was told that a deal was close by Winfield's agent in order to spark that feeding frenzy.


Yeah, I said this earlier in the thread. It felt like Winfield's people floated this info out there for leverage from the jump.



I still disagree (although less) the Vikings released him... what kind of leverage does Winfield have? He has to limp back with a far more acceptable deal to the team that released him?

Thats not very good leverage.

Not saying he wont be back in Minnesota. but if he does it wont be anything close to what the Seahawks offered. It will be purely emotional.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:52 am
Posts: 1050
Location: Orlando, Florida
Hope he signs soon. This is killing me.


Last edited by Floridahawk79 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:45 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3092
Uncle Si wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:
volsunghawk wrote:
Personally, I don't think that Werder is a poor reporter. But I do believe that he has shown that he'll disseminate without question whatever a team or agent wants him to. Wouldn't be surprised if Werder was told that a deal was close by Winfield's agent in order to spark that feeding frenzy.


Yeah, I said this earlier in the thread. It felt like Winfield's people floated this info out there for leverage from the jump.



I still disagree (although less) the Vikings released him... what kind of leverage does Winfield have? He has to limp back with a far more acceptable deal to the team that released him?

Thats not very good leverage.

Not saying he wont be back in Minnesota. but if he does it wont be anything close to what the Seahawks offered. It will be purely emotional.


What better way to gain leverage than creating the perception of demand coming from the hottest front office in the league? Just because he's taking a pay cut doesn't mean he can't squeeze all he can out of a new deal. To say that it's pure coincidence that these "last minute teams" emerged immediately after someone reported Seattle had an offer on the table is a stretch. If this was by design, then Winfield has succesfully used the media and the Seahawks to make himself look like the hottest FA on the market. No one was talking about him two weeks ago.

We should all be glad that the deals with Harvin, Avril and Bennett were actually completed before being leaked to the media.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:05 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:40 pm
Posts: 1840
It would be nice to sign him, but in the bigger picture he would be the 5th back. That in itself would be hard to take for a starter and still a very good DB. I just can't seem him going back to MIN. They cut him, didn't by accounts try to get him to agree to a restructure or even let him know it was coming. Sounds like disrespect, and when ego is involved...

He sees what is happening with the older players that are FA. A lot are still available. He is just trying to milk some more $$ from someone.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:38 pm
Posts: 447
Happypuppy wrote:
It would be nice to sign him, but in the bigger picture he would be the 5th back. That in itself would be hard to take for a starter and still a very good DB. I just can't seem him going back to MIN. They cut him, didn't by accounts try to get him to agree to a restructure or even let him know it was coming. Sounds like disrespect, and when ego is involved...

He sees what is happening with the older players that are FA. A lot are still available. He is just trying to milk some more $$ from someone.



I am sure they are telling him "RW came in as a back-up and earned the starting spot, on this team you always have a chance to compete for the starting spot."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:49 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4201
Happypuppy wrote:
It would be nice to sign him, but in the bigger picture he would be the 5th back. That in itself would be hard to take for a starter and still a very good DB. I just can't seem him going back to MIN. They cut him, didn't by accounts try to get him to agree to a restructure or even let him know it was coming. Sounds like disrespect, and when ego is involved...

He sees what is happening with the older players that are FA. A lot are still available. He is just trying to milk some more $$ from someone.



Well this goes back to the leverage thing from a few posts ago. Not only did they release him and not offer any restructure, they made it quite clear he wouldnt be able to compete for a cback spot.

Now, he could return and fill the same role there as he would here... but he would be playing behind two cbs he's probably better than.

I dont know, i figured it would be done by now so i'm losing confidence it gets done. If it doesnt oh well


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:54 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:13 pm
Posts: 3302
Location: Seattle
I'm still holding out hope...

_________________
Image

“There’s no reason, with Mr. Allen and the fan base here and the stadium, that this can’t be a stable, long-term winning organization.” - John Schneider


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:00 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:05 am
Posts: 665
Location: Canada
Quote:
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 2h
CB Antoine Winfield was close to deal with Seahawks and still seems his preference but other teams now involved at last minute. Stay tuned


That was Werder 2 hours ago. I'm sure i'm looking into this too much and def have no clue, however I could see Seattle's FO having a set amount of money they want to rollover for next year, and have given Winfield their offer that they won't budge on. Now I bet his agent is just trying to see how much money he can get from other teams - unless say another strong contendor (say Broncos for example) called Winfield's camp up and one upped our offer?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:03 am 
USMC 1970-77
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:41 am
Posts: 9551
Location: Monroe, WA
GCrow wrote:
Quote:
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn 2h
CB Antoine Winfield was close to deal with Seahawks and still seems his preference but other teams now involved at last minute. Stay tuned


That was Werder 2 hours ago. I'm sure i'm looking into this too much and def have no clue, however I could see Seattle's FO having a set amount of money they want to rollover for next year, and have given Winfield their offer that they won't budge on. Now I bet his agent is just trying to see how much money he can get from other teams - unless say another strong contendor (say Broncos for example) called Winfield's camp up and one upped our offer?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, it's a safe bet the FO won't overspend for a player in what is already an area of strength for the team. He'd be a great addition, but not "at any cost."

_________________
Talent can get you to the playoffs.
It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:06 am 
NET Starter
Online

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:41 pm
Posts: 468
Location: Ventura, CA
If it's not done at this point he's looking for the most money and someone else will definitely pay more than we're willing to.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:14 am 
* NET Curmudgeon *
* NET Curmudgeon *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:06 am
Posts: 7223
Location: Eastern Washington
It seems like a lot of smoke.


Pay no attention to the smoke.

_________________
49ers webzone: Win or lose, i hope you injure Sherman. Like a serious career ending injury. I don't want him to get paid.
49ers webzone: noise should not be the overwhelming reason a team is favored. they need to spray noise-damping foam onto the ceiling of that place.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:31 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5486
Location: Kansas City, MO
BlueTalon wrote:
It seems like a lot of smoke.


Pay no attention to the smoke.

Correct. I am in "I will believe it when I see it" mode. It smells fishy to me at this point.

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:32 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:16 pm
Posts: 1667
Hmmm, still absolutely nothing informative about this situation. Annnnnd moving on.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:34 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
KCHawkGirl wrote:
BlueTalon wrote:
It seems like a lot of smoke.


Pay no attention to the smoke.

Correct. I am in "I will believe it when I see it" mode. It smells fishy to me at this point.


I've got to admit, despite my letter to Antoine, this does feel a lot like Hugh Douglas or John Abraham all over again...

But things are different now! This team is a legit contender. Come on Antoine!

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:48 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5486
Location: Kansas City, MO
NYCoug wrote:
KCHawkGirl wrote:
BlueTalon wrote:
It seems like a lot of smoke.


Pay no attention to the smoke.

Correct. I am in "I will believe it when I see it" mode. It smells fishy to me at this point.


I've got to admit, despite my letter to Antoine, this does feel a lot like Hugh Douglas or John Abraham all over again...

But things are different now! This team is a legit contender. Come on Antoine!

I hope it's just me being negative because he really would put us over the top. I am hopeful but in a "wait and see" mode and wouldn't be shocked if we didn't land him.

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:51 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am
Posts: 3094
*reads latest news on Winfield...faints*

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:40 am
Posts: 2609
Is this deal "imminent?"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:28 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:19 am
Posts: 265
Location: Seattle
im going to Imminent all over your face...;)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:30 pm 
* Glitter over Knives *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:13 pm
Posts: 8511
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=63&f=1554&t=11459365


"He's a great guy to have in the locker room," Henderson said. "He teaches the young guys everything that he knows, he doesn't hold anything back. He's willing to talk to you about whatever it may be. He's a great guy to have around and that's not even talking about what he does on the football field...It's invaluable for us to have him around."

_________________
"Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
"BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:22 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 337
The suspense is killing me....


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:52 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am
Posts: 571
Damned Broncos and other contenders trying to sabotage this potentially great acquisition for the Hawks. One can only hope Winfield is just sitting in his home by the fireplace waiting out the snowfall before he makes a break for Seattle to join Harvin.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE: Deal Close? Per Werder
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:05 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:01 am
Posts: 267
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
I agree... sitting in limbo make me so far from productive. I can't stop checking updates... waiting for news... his agent must have let it out of the bag that we were close to signing him. With all of the positive press in our new additions, teams are likely just looking at what we do and jumping in if they can.

_________________
"Hard work beats talent when talent fails to hard work"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:18 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am
Posts: 571
Finally Good News!!

The snow has begun to let up in Minnesota.

That damn groundhog Punxsutawney Phil will finally emerge covered in the white stuff to tell us he was wrong about predicting an early spring. He'll then try to predict whether Winfield will sign with Seattle.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:20 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 337
You got my hopes up
Read "finally good news"
What followed was not what I had hoped.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:24 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am
Posts: 571
Shadyhawk182 wrote:
You got my hopes up
Read "finally good news"
What followed was not what I had hoped.


Sorry.. Chances of any real news at this hour is pretty slim Shady. :mrgreen:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:32 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 337
Russ Willstrong wrote:
Shadyhawk182 wrote:
You got my hopes up
Read "finally good news"
What followed was not what I had hoped.


Sorry.. Chances of any real news at this hour is pretty slim Shady. :mrgreen:

OHhhhhhhh...you.
Like this guy
:th2thumbs:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:42 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:31 am
Posts: 571
Thanks Shady. You guys are fun to read too. Just checking up for any breaking news like the rest of yall.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:55 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4201
I
Russ Willstrong wrote:
Finally Good News!!

The snow has begun to let up in Minnesota.

That damn groundhog Punxsutawney Phil will finally emerge covered in the white stuff to tell us he was wrong about predicting an early spring. He'll then try to predict whether Winfield will sign with Seattle.


I don't know what window you're looking from mate but its pissing white stuff right now, and will all night. Damned state. I want to be back on the PNW.. maybe Winny will follow


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:29 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 am
Posts: 2192
I like the new title edit lol


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:23 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:57 am
Posts: 337
Might be the most honest and accurate title in the history of the internet.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 am 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:38 am
Posts: 10189
Location: Vancouver, WA
Shadyhawk182 wrote:
Might be the most honest and accurate title in the history of the internet.

This board anyway.

_________________
From the white sands
To the canyon lands
To the redwood stands
To the barren lands

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:29 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:45 pm
Posts: 1378
So apparently the words "close" and "imminent" mean absolutely nothing in the sports media anymore. Good to know. Is there anyone on twitter claiming to be Winfield's cousin's butcher anymore, where's that guy? Maybe he's got an update for us?

Ed Werder is a professional troll.

_________________
Talkin Seahawks All Day, All Night @ my blog Seafense! http://seafense.blogspot.com/


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:37 am 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8676
Location: Is Everything
NYCoug wrote:
So apparently the words "close" and "imminent" mean absolutely nothing in the sports media anymore. Good to know. Is there anyone on twitter claiming to be Winfield's cousin's butcher anymore, where's that guy? Maybe he's got an update for us?

Ed Werder is a professional troll.



Close and imminent means he will be signing elsewhere.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:01 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:59 am
Posts: 2878
Keep the faith, boys... Pete and John will do the right thing.

I want Winfield as much as any of you but at the right price.

_________________
EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

Moved to Seattle in 1980. Hawks fan for 34 years and counting.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:20 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2773
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm
Posts: 1935
RichNhansom wrote:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.


Miami. New England may have had a bigger point differential since Welker was the only one that really hurt the Seahawks.

_________________
I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:31 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3092
RichNhansom wrote:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.


That's hard to say. First, Winfield is solid in coverage but by no means elite or "lock down." Also, many could legitimately argue that the lack of pass rush was the primary culprit in those losses.

It would be better to look at losses where we were hurt by the opponent's run game, because that's where Winfield honestly excels.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:54 am 
NET Pro Bowler
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
Posts: 11163
Location: Antioch, CA
RichNhansom wrote:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.


Were there any games where Trufant directly led us to a loss?

I know he had some really bad plays throughout the year, but I never pinned any of the losses directly on him.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:59 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
Posts: 4667
Location: The 5-0
Looking at film of both Winfield and Tyrann Mathieu.....(at least their highlights), the two have very similar traits. The three glaring differences are not captured on film: The off field baggage of the Badger, the age of Winfield and the (presumed) price differential between the two. At the rate Mathieu is going, he may slip to the 4th (he can't recall how many drug tests he's failed??). Even at 3 mil for Winfield, the Badger can be had for about 1/6th of that (unless I am mistaken). There is definitely risk with this numbskull, but there is no question he has more remaining years / more upside than Winfield.

We are in the rare, luxurious position of being able to gamble on a mid rd pick. I wonder if we shouldn't roll the dice on the Badger, offer him very little front money and saddle the terms of his contract with caveats and incentives. Even if beaten out by Thurmond, he would still be a weapon on special teams if he gets his shiz together. If he don't...we lose a valuable pick in this draft but that happens with almost every team in almost every draft.

I am not suggesting we go through this route...just something I woke up thinking about and wondered if others see this as a viable option?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:05 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:07 pm
Posts: 848
DavidSeven wrote:
RichNhansom wrote:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.


That's hard to say. First, Winfield is solid in coverage but by no means elite or "lock down." Also, many could legitimately argue that the lack of pass rush was the primary culprit in those losses.

It would be better to look at losses where we were hurt by the opponent's run game, because that's where Winfield honestly excels.




loss vs. SF they had 175 yards rushing averaging 5.5 ypc
loss vs. MIA they had 189 rushing yards averaging 6.8 ypc


two losses directly due to the run game right there


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:56 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
Posts: 3077
Location: Anchorage, AK
RichNhansom wrote:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.


The NFC Championship game............


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:04 am 
* NET Eeyore *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
Posts: 10497
Location: Pasco, WA
Well........this story sure has gone places.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:11 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:14 am
Posts: 2234
HawkFan72 wrote:
RichNhansom wrote:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.


Were there any games where Trufant directly led us to a loss?

I know he had some really bad plays throughout the year, but I never pinned any of the losses directly on him.


That can be said for any player due to it being a team game and not an individual sport. As an individual player though he was horrible. Go back and watch him give up plays to everyone he lined up against.

_________________
The artist formerly known as T-Sizzle


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:19 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:48 pm
Posts: 2272
T-Sizzle wrote:
HawkFan72 wrote:
RichNhansom wrote:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.


Were there any games where Trufant directly led us to a loss?

I know he had some really bad plays throughout the year, but I never pinned any of the losses directly on him.


That can be said for any player due to it being a team game and not an individual sport. As an individual player though he was horrible. Go back and watch him give up plays to everyone he lined up against.


On one of the KJR shows, it told how many targets Trufaunt had and what the Opponents QB rating was. Trufant was targeted IIRC 40+ last year and surrendered a 90+ QB rating on those plays.

Meanwhile Winfield was targeted in the top 5 most targets last year and the QB rating on those plays was in the low 70's. Winfield would present a HUGE upgrade over Trufant. It's too bad we couldn't trust a younger player last year to play in those situations, that experience would be invaluable this year.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:27 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 2217
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason ... sions-soon

"Winfield realizes that while he can take his time making a decision, and no one is rushing him, at some point he will need to pick a team and get going with their program. Those close to him expect that decision to come this weekend."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:33 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3092
bigcc wrote:
DavidSeven wrote:
RichNhansom wrote:
What games might have ended differently last year if we had Winfield? I can think of a few, like Detroit and Atlanta for a couple but as close as so many games were, it could be more.


That's hard to say. First, Winfield is solid in coverage but by no means elite or "lock down." Also, many could legitimately argue that the lack of pass rush was the primary culprit in those losses.

It would be better to look at losses where we were hurt by the opponent's run game, because that's where Winfield honestly excels.




loss vs. SF they had 175 yards rushing averaging 5.5 ypc
loss vs. MIA they had 189 rushing yards averaging 6.8 ypc


two losses directly due to the run game right there


He definitely would've helped against Bush. I feel like Winfield is built to tackle backs with elusive ability like that. He probably would've helped against Gore, too since I think Gore's compact size makes him tough to tackle.

Ultimately, though, I think the lack of a consistent pass rush was key in the losses against Detroit, Miami and Atlanta. If you look at the New England and Washington games, the difference was the ability to get to the quarterback on the final drives.

Not to say we couldn't use an upgrade at nickel back. We do. I just don't think you can hang our losses completely on that position.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:37 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:07 pm
Posts: 848
DavidSeven wrote:

He definitely would've helped against Bush. I feel like Winfield is built to tackle backs with elusive ability like that. He probably would've helped against Gore, too since I think Gore's compact size makes him tough to tackle.

Ultimately, though, I think the lack of a consistent pass rush was key in the losses against Detroit, Miami and Atlanta. If you look at the New England and Washington games, the difference was the ability to get to the quarterback on the final drives.

Not to say we couldn't use an upgrade at nickel back. We do. I just don't think you can hang our losses completely on that position.


Agreed, sorry if I came off sounding that way, pass rush was CLEARLY the number one priority heading into the offseason, but with that handled I feel like DT/ a nickel CB are by far the biggest needs we have left.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:38 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 pm
Posts: 1363
I know he's a good player, but the 35 year old Winfield is making this seem like a Peyton Manning type acquisition.

_________________
Image

"We all we got, we all we need"


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:39 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:25 pm
Posts: 365
Hawknballs wrote:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/jason-la-canfora/22058500/redskins-seahawks-or-vikings-antoine-winfield-likely-to-make-decisions-soon

"Winfield realizes that while he can take his time making a decision, and no one is rushing him, at some point he will need to pick a team and get going with their program. Those close to him expect that decision to come this weekend."


STOP TEASIN ME!!!!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:44 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am
Posts: 2217
IMO in winfield you get a guy who's not going to make a brain-fart mistake at a critical moment, that's why I'm all for this move.

Even though I feel like Jeremy Lane has a lot of promise...I don't trust him yet in those critical moments where a veteran has seen this thing thousands of times.

I would love to see us split time with thurmond/lane/winfield.

Thurmond could be good but who knows. Jeremy Lane is a big play guy, he could be our Jordan Babineaux. Winfield in there when the game is on the line to not let a bone head mistake take place.


Last edited by Hawknballs on Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.