Winfield Visiting Seattle UPDATE:Who knows anything amirite?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Was retweeted by Rapoport.

Also reported by this guy (covers the Vikings for ESPN Radio):

Tom Pelissero ‏@TomPelissero 20m
I'm on vacation so not sure if this is out there but I'm told Antoine Winfield is scheduled to visit the #Seahawks on Wednesday.

Looks like good info.

GoHawks

Reaction score
The most recent CB signed was . . . Antoine Cason (Arizona) took one-year, $1.5 million deals

Antoine is perfect for Nickel CB, hopefully for less that the 3M he was wanting, and for a short-term deal

From the PFF Article:

Quote "Though he may not have been able to touch the top corners when it came to coverage alone, he still ranked inside the Top 20 in that area and teamed with it an ability that is completely unmatched by his cornerback peers — his play against the run and the short passing game.

Against the run Winfield’s grade was almost twice as good as any other corner. On the season he made 44 stops (tackles that constitute an offensive failure), which was a dozen more than the next best player. Of those stops, 26 were in the run game, logging one on 7.3% of his run snaps, again the top mark by a corner by some distance and one that is actually closer to the norm for linebackers than it is among corners."

-The Glove-

Reaction score
DavidSeven":2dmzgpyg said:
City":2dmzgpyg said:
Read somwhere that Winfield was the only corner to grade out higher than Richard Sherman.

I think it was PFF...

*Edit*

Yep.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ornerback/

Interesting article.

He scores high for his play against the run. PFF concedes Sherm is far superior in coverage.

Not a bad element to add to the D, though. Depends on the cost.
As much as the run and short game killed us the second half of the season, he would be a nice addition. If Thurmond is healthy, I'd much rather have him but its good to have extra insurance. Plus it kind of says something about Lane when the PC would rather stay with an old, slow Trufant, than let Lane play. He's a great gunner tho, but have not seen enough of him in coverage

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
City":37ufvj0d said:
Read somwhere that Winfield was the only corner to grade out higher than Richard Sherman.

I think it was PFF...

*Edit*

Yep.

Interesting article.

Largely due to run support, not pass coverage, though. However, he still graded quite well on pass coverage. Him replacing Trufant's role would make our defense retardedly hard to go against.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
City":4d9m3naf said:

I think it was PFF...

*Edit*

Yep.

Interesting article.
Though he may not have been able to touch the top corners when it came to coverage alone, he still ranked inside the Top 20 in that area and teamed with it an ability that is completely unmatched by his cornerback peers — his play against the run and the short passing game.

He has an unrivaled ability to read and react to runs or short screens and passes to his side of the field, practically removing them as a viable option for the offense he faces. At his best, Darrelle Revis can take one receiver out of the game, but rarely does he make a huge impact against the run or on quick screens to other receivers on the same side of the formation. Winfield won’t take away a receiver the way Revis or Sherman can, but he can virtually take away an entire side of the field when it comes to the run game or bubble screens and other tricky plays such as end-arounds or reverses.

Between him and Sherman I think the Seahawks could be something epic. I'd pay the guy what he's worth, which is more, IMO, than people on here seem to think.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Would be a solid signing. Def LoB material.

Kinda funny, coming after aso to the niners. We just keep going back and forth at the same positions on FA haha.

Zybot

Reaction score
Wow. This would be a great signing if it happened.

McGruff

Reaction score
Probably the best fit on the market regardless of age . . . I want him bad.

ErikG803

Reaction score
YES!! I've been wanting this to happen since he got cut

bestfightstory

Reaction score
This guy is a stud who has performed in a professional manner for a long long time. A quintessential student of the game who will probably go down in history as the greatest cornerback vs the run over his entire career in the history of the game.

Would be a much better signing than Woodson, who many were clamoring for.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2uwx44sk said:
Sign him to the veterans minimum and let him compete. Although I'd prefer Thurmond and Lane.
You might want to do a little homework before posting things like this, because saying that you prefer two wholly unproven options (incl. one with a major injury history) to the premier nickel/slot corner in the entire NFL is patently absurd. Also, Winfield isn't signing "for the minimum" somewhere "to compete" like he's some form of camp fodder. He's an elite player at what he does, he has a healthy offer on the table from the Redskins to be a starter, the Vikings are trying to get him back, and anyone who wants him is going to have to pony up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts