49ers vs. Seahawks: Let the debate rage (Sando write up)

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/96288/49ers-vs-seahawks-let-the-debate-rage

Nice write up, and the comments are hilarious. Takes an in-depth look at the moves the respective GMs have made, with the Hawks winning that debate. Sando's homerism is appreciated.

On a side note I wonder if this year we will kick off at Seattle first, since last two years it's been at San Fran...

oh well, its still the same story.... :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall: :49ersmall:

Axx

Reaction score
I dont understand why 9er fans think Harbaugh/Baalke have molded their current team. Pretty much all the players they have drafted sit on the bench or get cut.

kearly

Reaction score
The final confirmation I need that Bill Polian is in fact a dummy:

That's what it feels like from this angle, too. So, when ESPN's Bill Polian listed 49ers general manager Trent Baalke among his top six executives Insider without a mention of Seattle counterpart John Schneider, I knew some Seahawks fans would take offense.

Kind of off-topic, but I couldn't help it.

Also, Baalke took over before the 2011 draft, not the 2010 draft. I'm surprised Sando hasn't caught that mistake yet. Fairly glaring.

From the comments: Colin Squidward

Squidward kaepernick

Lady Talon

Reaction score
Love the comment re: Sherman doping.

If the pee don't fit, you must acquit.

Classic

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Iupati, Bowman and Davis were all drafted before Balke was the GM and Aldon Smith has zero production without Justin Smith (another allpro from the previous regime) on the field.

Seems like they really had to stretch just to make it look competitive.

drdiags

Reaction score
I thought McCloughan got the boot prior to the 2010 draft and that Baalke just didn't have the title but did draft Iupati and Davis? Maybe my timeline is incorrect?

Bill Polian has his opinion but he also didn't think much of the Wilson pick, so you cannot expect him to turn around and eat crow by saying Schneider is a top-6 (odd number) GM. No debate from me. As long as the team keeps trending up, that is a start.

EDIT: BTW, not sure why folks thinks Sando and Clayton are Seahawks homers. I know they live in the area but both will tell you they are not fans of the Seahawks. Clayton, if anything, was a Steelers fan and Sando grew up a Raiders fan. Even see Seahawks fans get the red-ass if either give less than glowing accounts for the team, calling them traitors.

Just an assumption that I find odd.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
drdiags":bgnv1eo0 said:
I thought McCloughan got the boot prior to the 2010 draft and that Baalke just didn't have the title but did draft Iupati and Davis? Maybe my timeline is incorrect?

Bill Polian has his opinion but he also didn't think much of the Wilson pick, so you cannot expect him to turn around and eat crow by saying Schneider is a top-6 (odd number) GM. No debate from me. As long as the team keeps trending up, that is a start.

Baalke did do the 2010 draft for the 49ers, even though he didn't have the GM title.

Still, the Seahawks have hit massively in later rounds and the 49ers have not. That's indicative of much more skill. You're expected to get starters in rounds 1 and 2. Not very much in rounds 5, 6, and 7.

Jiggy

Reaction score
I would rather we travel to San Fran for the first game of the two every year. Play them at home later in the year when it appears there is much more on the line.

Jac

Reaction score
Polian is the guy that should take the heat for the Russell Wilson draft day discussion, not Mel Kiper. Kiper made some fair points about concerns he had. When Gruden turned to Polian for support, Polian out-and-out said that Wilson wasn't a starting QB and you don't draft him to be one. Schneider/Carroll specifically made Polian look like an idiot with how the season played out.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Jiggy":dmnp622a said:
I would rather we travel to San Fran for the first game of the two every year. Play them at home later in the year when it appears there is much more on the line.

Completely agree. I loved having things on the line for the 49ers @ Seahawks game last year.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Niner fans. It must be an interesting experience to go through life with reality being filtered. Yet, some of them have jobs, a driver's license, are registered to vote, may have procreated and may even own a gun. Now that IS frightening.

A

Anonymous

Can't folks who submit comments do so without bashing the team name?

I mean, you don't see us calling teams names like "Forty-Whiners", "Stealers", "Donkos", or "Lambs".

Come on, have some respect...

ivotuk

Reaction score
Bill Polian the "6 time executive of the year" as people just keep repeating was made by Peyton Manning. How in the hell did he win that title six times?

He should be held responsible for going in to 2011 with Curtis Painter and the subsequent 2-14 season but nobody says anything about that.

ESPN deserves a lot of fan hate mail for putting this guy out there as an expert and for telling their guys to keep repeating the mantra "6 time executive of the year" as if they were legitimate. Answer me this, who was the Colts running back after Edge left? Nobody...because they could ride Peyton's arm.

If Polian were a legitimate GM, Peyton Manning would have as many Superbowl rings as Tom Brady, as it was, he barely got one. Epic Fail. :34853_doh:

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Good post Ivotuk. Couldn't agree more. Fortunately Manning isn't in Indy anymore so we won't have to worry about that new GM getting auto slotted as NFL Exec of the year. Oh wait.

heyu123

Reaction score
kearly":8btl8gox said:
The final confirmation I need that Bill Polian is in fact a dummy:

That's what it feels like from this angle, too. So, when ESPN's Bill Polian listed 49ers general manager Trent Baalke among his top six executives Insider without a mention of Seattle counterpart John Schneider, I knew some Seahawks fans would take offense.

Kind of off-topic, but I couldn't help it.

Also, Baalke took over before the 2011 draft, not the 2010 draft. I'm surprised Sando hasn't caught that mistake yet. Fairly glaring.

Actually Baalke is responsible for the 2010 draft so Sando isn't wrong.

And yeah, JS as not a top 6 GM is awful

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
heyu123":36p9feg9 said:
And yeah, JS as not a top 6 GM is awful

I guess drafting a 2nd-year All-Pro in the 5th round just doesn't mean much. :roll:

I still find NFL lists of all kinds interesting to read, but ones this blatantly stupid are irksome. : /

drdiags

Reaction score
Polian's choices for top-6 are hard to argue, though I am not sure I would have listed the Steelers GM since their roster hit a little bump lately but it could also be blind homer hate. For those that don't know the list, it is:

1 - Ozzie Newsome (Ravens)
2 - Thomas Dimitroff (Falcons)
3 - Ted Thompson (Packers)
4 - Jerry Reese (NY Giants)
5 - Trent Baalke (well, you know, the person some want to evict from the list)
6 - Kevin Colbert (Steelers - the guy this hater wants to replace with his own guy)

Surprised Polian didn't list Grigson or Elway, though not naming Grigson shouldn't be a surprise. He replaced Polian once he got canned. Casserly and Lombardi weren't exactly fond of the method used by PC/JS to rebuild the Seahawks. So that is 3 conventional, old school GMs who weren't fans. Same with ex-coaches. I think it is the Seahawks in-your-face anti-CW style that rubs them the wrong way.