"conditional" pick for Flynn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawkWow

Reaction score
OK, so apparently we are assured of a 5th in 2014 and a conditional 5th in 15. How flexible are these conditional picks, anyway? Anyone know the boundaries of a conditional pick? IE...if Flynn is named *SB MVP, what is the best we can hope for out of this trade?

I ask because I am unsure if it's wiser to root for, or against, our old AFCW nemesis. Not that we can actually influence any outcomes, but are we more hopeful that Flynn and the Raiders finish *0-16 (giving us 2 lofty 5ths) or are we hopeful they lose to us in the SB, and because Flynn was the *2nd best QB in the league, that conditional pick automatically becomes a *1st rounder?

* situations intentionally exaggerated (so save it).

kearly

Reaction score
Since it's rumored to be a conditional 5th, I think it's safe to assume we'll at least get a pick- it just might be a 6th instead.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the details of the conditional pick. It often takes a while for those kind of details to hit the presses.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
kearly":v3ecjysw said:
Since it's rumored to be a conditional 5th, I think it's safe to assume we'll at least get a pick- it just might be a 6th instead.

I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for the details of the conditional pick. It often takes a while for those kind of details to hit the presses.

Thanks Kearly. It seems to me a mountain of paperwork...filled with caveats, terms, conditions and "what ifs" would accompany such an open ended trade. Certainly our FO must have some language in there that states if Flynn becomes the 2013 version of Joe Montana, the conditional pick would be much higher than a 5th (?). It only stands to reason as I don't think Oakland, or any team, would balk at such an inclusion.

I like Flynn and hope for his individual success, but until I better understand the reward, I am going to hope for the Raiders to fail so that 2014 5th rounder is a very high 5th rounder.

nwgamer

Reaction score
A common example of a condition might be based on how many starts he has next year.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Usually when they say conditional 5th, doesn't that mean it is the lowest possible compensation? So it couldn't be any worse than a 5th, but could be higher?

Normally I thought that is how they word those things.

OP
OP
H

HawkWow

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1u239mbj said:
Usually when they say conditional 5th, doesn't that mean it is the lowest possible compensation? So it couldn't be any worse than a 5th, but could be higher?

This was my thinking as well. If he is not uber-dynamic, we get the 5th...but what if he tears it up?? I would think there would be a clause that would compensate us accordingly....but perhaps not (?).

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":18vusg1s said:

By a "while" we mean we'll find out in March 2015. Conditional details almost never come out, and we usually don't know until the official draft list is announced.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think it's the opposite, conditional 5th meaning 5th is the highest we could get, if the conditons aren't met we might only get a 6th.

I traded TB a conditional 7th for Kellen Winslow and he didn't play a snap and we didnt have to give them anything.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
HawkWow":2afs6l57 said:
HawkFan72":2afs6l57 said:

This was my thinking as well. If he is not uber-dynamic, we get the 5th...but what if he tears it up?? I would think there would be a clause that would compensate us accordingly....but perhaps not (?).

My thoughts as well. IIRC, the trade of Josh Wilson was a conditional 5th that would have been a 4th if he had a certain amount of starts, but Baltimore had him not start one game to insure it was only a 5th (I think that was the case. Correct me anyone of Im wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.