Seneca Wallace?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Seneca Wallace?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:43 am
  • No, this is not an April fools joke. The guy is only 32 years old, and was always better as a backup. He would be extremely cheap to add as our backup. He plays a similar style to RW (similar does NOT mean as well). Granted he is a little older but he fits our offense better now than he did before. I figure if people can bring up other ridiculous scenarios, this is not out of the question....
    Displaced to the south by marriage..... Lifetime Hawk fan BY CHOICE!!! (not always an easy choice)
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Re: Seneca Wallace?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:44 am
  • Unlikely but i like him better than Leinert .
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:45 am
  • i've always liked Seneca.. he's a solid back up and has shown he can manage/win games... i'd be ok with that.
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:48 am
  • Sure best option yet
    "Tracy Porter lost his manhood when Marshawn stiff armed him" some dude on youtube.
    suppaball
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:48 am
  • hawker84 wrote:i've always liked Seneca.. he's a solid back up and has shown he can manage/win games... i'd be ok with that.

Kinda what I was thinking, all we need is a cheap game manager with a proven track record as a backup. The more I'm thinking about this now, the more I kind of like the idea.
    Displaced to the south by marriage..... Lifetime Hawk fan BY CHOICE!!! (not always an easy choice)
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:52 am
  • I would love it. Disappointing to see nobody has picked up him since last season
    ----
    ensett
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:53 am
  • I think this being his 9th season his minimum salary would be $840,000 (someone correct me if I'm wrong) sign him on a 3 year deal backup problem solved for now. Plus we wouldn't have to completely change the offense should he actually have to play.
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:20 pm
  • He's better than Leinart or Young. But I would be nervous as hell if he were on the team and had to play.
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 pm
  • <playername>?

never gets old.
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:23 pm
  • SeaMeat wrote:He's better than Leinart or Young. But I would be nervous as hell if he were on the team and had to play.

He faired pretty well when Hasselbeck got hurt. I wouldn't be any more nervous than any if the other mentioned possible backups. IMHO I would rather hire a proven backup, than a failed starter.
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:24 pm
  • What the hell is with everyone and the backup QB position? Draft one. Every QB we've obtained outside the draft since Carroll arrived has been worthless to us. Whitehurst, Jackson, Flynn, etc...
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What the hell is with everyone and the backup QB position? Draft one. Every QB we've obtained outside the draft since Carroll arrived has been worthless to us. Whitehurst, Jackson, Flynn, etc...

Not much else to talk about. Ka is a wheel.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 pm
  • bellingerga wrote:<playername>?

never gets old.

Neither do posts about the content of a post that have no constructive purpose to the post itself....
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:43 pm
  • HAWKFaninBAMA wrote:
    bellingerga wrote:<playername>?

never gets old.

Neither do posts about the content of a post that have no constructive purpose to the post itself....

Plus One. Thank You.

Seneca would make a great back up. And while I'm sure they will draft a QB late, I doubt we will find one that can step right in like Wallace could.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:44 pm
  • I feel like we could use one big "Who should be our QB2?" thread because, hey, it's something to talk about before the draft gets here. Also, I always forget in which thread I posted which suggestions or comments about this topic.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:46 pm
  • I'd be fine with bringing giving him a chance as a receiver, which is what should have been done ten years ago. He could have been a fantastic wideout/return man.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:47 pm
  • HAWKFaninBAMA wrote:
    bellingerga wrote:<playername>?

never gets old.

like the one you just made in reply to mine. and then mine in reply to yours.

POSTCEPTION
    bellingerga
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:What the hell is with everyone and the backup QB position? Draft one. Every QB we've obtained outside the draft since Carroll arrived has been worthless to us. Whitehurst, Jackson, Flynn, etc...

I wouldn't say Jackson and Flynn were worthless. Both were paid to come here in free agency and both got us draft pick(s) in return. Basically we bought draft picks

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:50 pm

^this.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 pm
  • I think some new meat would be better imo. Someone hungry to learn and grow.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:59 pm
  • nwgamer wrote:I think some new meat would be better imo. Someone hungry to learn and grow.

I agree, as a #3 though. I don't think it's a very good idea to have a brand new QB backing up a QB in his second season. I feel like we need some sort of veteran presence, granted Seneca was never "the guy" but he has at least SOME experience. We would give up zero picks, minimum salary, and have minimum expectations for a guy with more upside than downside.

He could play the same offense, so having a secondary offense for the backup would be unnecessary. He is comfortable in Seattle and as I remember he wasn't a half bad backup. We're not talking about a QBoTF anymore. We need a cheap game manager that can get the job done.
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:00 pm
  • Our draft history with QBs is hardly stellar either. We hit the jackpot once in 40 years and everyone suddenly thinks great QBs grow on mid-round draft trees.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:03 pm
  • 8 track players?

Let's continue the youth movement, including a capable back up QB that can come in and win games like Kirk Cousins did for the Redskins.
    hoxrox
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:05 pm
  • hoxrox wrote:8 track players?

Let's continue the youth movement, including a capable back up QB that can come in and win games like Kirk Cousins did for the Redskins.

Ok, suggestions? As I see it there aren't all that many available. Wallace is 32, and were not talking about long term here.
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 pm
  • Isn't Seneca as dumb as an old boot too? Russell is a cerebral assassin and the offense is only going to get more and more complicated. Having to dumb it down for the 32 year old veteran back up does not seem like a sound game plan...
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:58 pm
  • WTH i'd take Seneca back in a heartbeat. Burleson too.
    #NEXTMANUP
    Evil_Shenanigans
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:44 pm
  • I absolutley would love to have Wallace back in Seattle. But we will prob have two guys like a VY or Lienart come in to fight for the number 2 spot.

If Wilson goes down I will have little hope in anybodys ability to over take him but since we need to have a back up id prefer a Veteran over a rookie.
    EastCoastHawksFan
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:18 pm
  • Wallace sucks
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:36 pm
  • I would be fine with it.

I would also be fine with PCJS drafting a kid that is overlooked and having Wilson be the mentor. Wilson is a man amongst boys in the maturity and brains department. We have a kid that is the mold for ANY QB, not just the short ones. In a matter of time, he will be calling the shots offensively, so a rookie doesn't scare me.

But Wallace could win a few games with this team. With Harvin out there, no longer is a dump off a 1 yard gain to escape pressure. For the price, Wallsce would fit better than most of the others.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:42 pm
  • I would welcome Seneca over every other mentioned "vet" so far.

Good gawd, people are mentioning Teblow for gawd sakes. At least Seneca can throw a football.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:47 pm
  • Wallace is about the same height as Wilson. Coincidence? Obviously it's a sign. That he should be signed.
    bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 pm
  • I just think we should at least bring him to camp. Let him play a little and see if he fits. It's not like trading for someone that you are then financially tied to. We give up nothing to possibly get a decent backup.

The team we have now would support his skill set much better. Why not give him a shot?
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:07 pm
  • I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in at least three guys to pick from. Make them all compete for the #2 and #3 spot.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:52 pm
  • Out of the fee agent QBs left Seneca would be my number one choice because of:

1) I think is an above average backup QB.
    2) He would be cheap.
    3) He has a similar skill set to Wilson.
    4) He was always a great teammate in Seattle as far as I remember.

Even if we pick him or another QB up in FA I hope we still draft someone. If we do pickup someone like Seneca in FA I would prefer not to draft a QB before the 5th or 6th round though.
    polarbill1999
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:34 pm
  • polarbill1999 wrote:Out of the fee agent QBs left Seneca would be my number one choice because of:

1) I think is an above average backup QB.
    2) He would be cheap.
    3) He has a similar skill set to Wilson.
    4) He was always a great teammate in Seattle as far as I remember.

Even if we pick him or another QB up in FA I hope we still draft someone. If we do pickup someone like Seneca in FA I would prefer not to draft a QB before the 5th or 6th round though.

I am surprised at the comments against Seneca. I agree with the team we had then he might not have been a good fit. But several are saying the same things about him most everyone was saying about Wilson just a few short months ago.

As far as being old, he got used very little and was always touted as being in the best physical shape of any player on the team and worked at it full time.

Remember the running back Al Davis refused to use yet refused to let him go to another team? And then when he did as an "older" player he had several really good years. Wouldn't surprise me if Wallace is a lot like that.

And intelligence? What left field did that come out of? As smart a guy as any I'd wager.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:18 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:I would welcome Seneca over every other mentioned "vet" so far.

Good gawd, people are mentioning Teblow for gawd sakes. At least Seneca can throw a football.

I am totally with you on this.
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:23 pm
  • Rat wrote:Our draft history with QBs is hardly stellar either. We hit the jackpot once in 40 years and everyone suddenly thinks great QBs grow on mid-round draft trees.

Best post in this thread for sure
    TLD0550
    NET Starter

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:Isn't Seneca as dumb as an old boot too? Russell is a cerebral assassin and the offense is only going to get more and more complicated. Having to dumb it down for the 32 year old veteran back up does not seem like a sound game plan...

Dumb as an old boot?, where'd you hear that ch*t?
    Wallace has some damned good highlights on U-Tube, and I would encourage some of Y'all to go and watch.
    Now I know that it's been awhile since he's had to take the reigns, but it has been said, that he keeps himself in great condition, he wouldn't break the bank, (probably isn't going to see the field for any real game clencher at any time either) + he fits our now system, better than he did the WCO that Holmgren ran.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:49 pm
  • scutterhawk wrote:
    CANHawk wrote:Isn't Seneca as dumb as an old boot too? Russell is a cerebral assassin and the offense is only going to get more and more complicated. Having to dumb it down for the 32 year old veteran back up does not seem like a sound game plan...

Dumb as an old boot?, where'd you hear that ch*t?
    Wallace has some damned good highlights on U-Tube, and I would encourage some of Y'all to go and watch.
    Now I know that it's been awhile since he's had to take the reigns, but it has been said, that he keeps himself in great condition, he wouldn't break the bank, (probably isn't going to see the field for any real game clencher at any time either) + he fits our now system, better than he did the WCO that Holmgren ran.

My point exactly
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:58 pm
  • Just watched these highlights... Kinda forgot he could move like that.........http://youtu.be/L7Elsegn4Zw
    HAWKFaninBAMA
    NET Rookie

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:35 pm
  • Per Danny O'Neil, the Seahawks have expressed interest in Seneca. From seattletimes.com:

Seneca Wallace and Tyler Thigpen are two other players Seattle has expressed interest in (besides Portis) and may pursue next week. Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart are two other considerations.

[...]

In terms of skill sets, Wallace is the one who might most closely resemble Wilson. Now 32, Wallace is an athletic quarterback with a strong arm. Whoever Seattle signs would be coming in to compete with Portis to be Wilson's backup.

Take it for what you will. I'd actually be okay with this.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:15 am
  • While I strongly disagree with "Dumb as an old boot", Seneca does have a learning disability and I remember reading that he required extra help to understand the offense back in the Holmgren days. That's not ideal in a backup QB who won't see a whole lot of reps. He's also spent basically his whole career around Holmgren's offense, so there is a real concern that he wouldn't be able to pick up Bevell's offense as quickly as another option at QB (but probably quite a bit more quickly than VY, who really is dumb as an old boot).

I think you could do a lot worse in a backup QB, though. Wallace was able to take care of the football and not lose games on a craptastic Seahawks team ('08 and '09) with practically no talent around him. I agree with those who have said if we lose Wilson long term, we're not going for the SB anyways... but if we lose Wilson for a few games, Wallace is the kind of QB who can give you a shot at those games until Wilson comes back - and that could make a big difference in a SB run.
    Sarlacc, on comparing .NET to Soccer: And why not? It's a bunch of people running around in circles, feigning pain, and never scoring.
    Snohomie
    * NET Draft Guru *

Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:23 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I feel like we could use one big "Who should be our QB2?" thread because, hey, it's something to talk about before the draft gets here. Also, I always forget in which thread I posted which suggestions or comments about this topic.

The fact that all people can seem to talk about is the backup QB tells you just how good this team is.
    HAWKNUTZ
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:49 am
  • Count me in as one who would welcome Seneca back as a better option than some of the others that are on the table. He managed to go .500 I think that year when Hass was down for a long stretch, and that was post-Hutch I believe so the run game wasn't what it was in 05.

On this team, with these weapons on offense and this defense, you'd think .500 would be a reasonable expectation as well, and that keeps you in the hunt even if our savior RW were out for 4. If RW is out longer then we know we're screwed anyhow.
    hawk45
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:55 am
  • :pukeface:
    captSE
    NET Starter

Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:58 am
  • I could support Seneca as our backup. He's got some skills and he was always mobile.

As far as his intelligence, his penchant for running out of bounds 10 yards behind the LOS didn't help that meme. ;)

Overall, though, he would be a fine backup IMHO.
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:23 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information