Why all this Matt Leinert for backup hate?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Why all this Matt Leinert for backup hate?
Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:20 am
  • I actually think he would be an above-average backup. Why are people hating on the potential move?
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• This is an "April Fools", right?

:les:
    Last edited by FlyingGreg on Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
    @SeahawkGreg

GIVE US YOUR PINK SLIP, SANTA CLARA WHINERS. WE OWN YOU
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• He won't take shots downfield and can't run with the football.

I don't like him for our system.

I am on the EJ Manuel/Matt Scott bandwagon when it comes to a QB2.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• I think the negativity likely comes from him having little to no upside or athletic ability. I think that the rumor also insinuates that he would just be handed or locked into the #2 QB job, when he should really have to compete for it and not be guaranteed anything.

Going with a "has been or never was" at any position is a very non-Seahawky thing to do.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• I hate to say this, and I know people will revolt, but again, I like Vince Young on a vet minimum flyer. If Pete Carroll can't get through to him, no one can.

I also hate to say THIS, but if (when) Kevin Kolb beats out Tarvaris Jackson in Buffalo and TJ gets cut, I would be perfectly happy with having him back here for less than 1M if we carry three QBs.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• I have no problem with Young as a backup except he can't hit the broad side of a barn. There in some trouble now at backup because good ones don't grow on trees.
    General Manager
    NET Veteran

• Smelly, I'm not a Vince Young hater, but the reason he and other super "talented" QBs sometimes fail is that an NFL QB must have good judgment, must think quickly under pressure, and must be smarter than a rock.
    godawg
    NET Starter

• Who cares? We're talking about the back-up QB here. 8 or 9 of the top 10 teams don't have good ones. People need to stop stressing about it so much.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• no to Leinhart and TJ, neither has proven they can handle the pressure of the position..
    World Champs - Sounds good don't it
    hawker84
    NET Veteran

• Any guy that turns down an opportunity to compete for a starting job to just ride the pine is not fit for this team.
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:no to Leinhart and TJ, neither has proven they can handle the pressure of the position..

Nothing more to add......
    It was a catch.
    SeaMeat
    NET Veteran

• hawker84 wrote:no to Leinhart and TJ, neither has proven they can handle the pressure of the position..

As a starter. TJ can get you to .500 in a 4 game span. If you're starter is hurt longer than that the season can go down the drain pretty quick.

I'm fine drafting a backup at this point.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

• It is just amazing to me why anyone would be this bothered by a potential backup QB for this team. I don't really care who they come up with, since I really don't see them on the field for more than spot duty, or perhaps a game here or there if Wilson can't go.

But Wilson is young, smart, knows how to avoid the big hits and stay healthy. That is all anyone should really care about right now.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:I hate to say this, and I know people will revolt, but again, I like Vince Young on a vet minimum flyer. If Pete Carroll can't get through to him, no one can.

I also hate to say THIS, but if (when) Kevin Kolb beats out Tarvaris Jackson in Buffalo and TJ gets cut, I would be perfectly happy with having him back here for less than 1M if we carry three QBs.

Not going to revolt. But seeing how he backed up Vick in 2011 when Seattle just destroyed that team kind of makes me not want him to even hold our clipboard.

Right idea. But I think we have to put a floor expectation that said backup could go .500 in relief. I just don't see Vince ever having been that dedicated to play.

I'd liken a backup QB to a designated hitter. Some hitters need to start in the field. Whether it's ego, or just that they have a hard time staying with the game/season in a series of intermittent ad fitful activity. Some guys just aren't able to keep their focus sharp if they aren't playing all the time.
    Attyla the Hawk
    NET Veteran

• To answer the original question......because he sucks. He has terrible arm strength, can't handle pressure and seems clueless when it comes to reading defenses. Not exactly a recipe for success in the NFL at the QB position.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Lets not compare TJack or Vince Young to starters in the league and ability to handle the pressure of winning.

Lets compare them to Leinart, Charlie Batch, Joe Webb, Jason Campbell etc

Can they handle the pressure of holding the clipboard for most of the games?

Can they handle the pressure from taking the ball from a Center and taking a knee at end of games

And moving away from sarcasm

Can they come in if RW gets knocked out and NOT SCREW UP. I am not asking them to win games I am asking them to manage the games. Throw over the middle, slants and not loose the game. If RW gets a concussion he is out the rest of the game and the next game. You need someone that hopefully takes you 1-1 in those two games. You don't need superstar and if he has to play more you hope that he can be servicable

Vince Young can in my mind do this, TJack can do this - not sure Leinart can do that but other knows him better than me.....
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Leinart is terrible.

I supported him for a long time. In 2006, despite numbers that were far from overwhelming, I've seen very, very few rookie QBs who looked as mature and composed as he did. After his rookie season, I don't know what the heck happened. I think he let let his losing preseason battle (a preseason where he looked fantastic) with Kurt Warner destroy his psyche, because he has never been the same. He clearly doesn't have the determination and work ethic to make the most of his gifts.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• He's left handed which means drastically switching pass protection around.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Because he is slow, weak, and useless. Bring him in as a #3 so he can hold a clipboard and watch players that can actually play.
    McG
    NET Veteran

• Vince Young. Unless we get an old guy to mentor RW (colts stole/overpaid hass)
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Leinart sucks
    "it'd be a newborn deer" - pehawk
    Hawk Strap
    * Handsome *

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:26 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information