Tyler Thigpen?

tdlabrie

Reaction score
Part of the Flynn trade rumor is that the Seahawks might pick up FA Tyler Thigpen as the backup quarterback.

Anybody know anything about him? And who (if any) might be #3?

ensett

Reaction score
The only thing I know about him is that he is really, really, really bad

Lithium

Reaction score
I know he caught a TD pass.

I thought he played pretty admirably when he started for KC, but he never got another chance.

RobBaker7714409

Reaction score
I'd much rather have Colt McCoy, even if it means having to give up a pick to get him.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
He's a lot better than Colt McCoy, but that isn't saying much.

Thigpen would be a cheap, serviceable backup.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
So would a rookie draft pick, and the rookie would be cheaper, with a potential higher upside.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
God no!! Better cut down on the read option plays if they do that.

Blazenhawks

Reaction score
Heck no. If this trade happens I see us drafting a QB I remember when JC had his first interview when hired he said if he could he would draft a QB every year.

Rat

Reaction score
Thigpen is awful. This thread didn't need to continue after ensett's post.

If Thigpen is our backup, we can kiss the playoffs goodbye if somebody hits Russell in a bad spot. I wouldn't move on from Flynn unless the Raiders blow us away with an offer, something they don't have the resources to do.

Among what's left, I think we need to be all over Rex Grossman; he would be a fantastic backup option. Otherwise, Vince Young is the only other one out there I'd be OK with.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm just going to copy this from the McCoy thread since no one seemed willing or able to answer:

Why do folks seem so keen on spending almost all of the $3.25 million cap saving from trading Flynn to acquire back-ups who are probably a lot worse than him (e.g. McCoy, Thigpen)? I'd honestly prefer them to use that money elsewhere or roll it over and just grab a QB in the draft.

Basis4day

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1iaj4lm1 said:
I'm just going to copy this from the McCoy thread since no one seemed willing or able to answer:

Why do folks seem so keen on spending almost all of the $3.25 million cap saving from trading Flynn to acquire back-ups who are probably a lot worse than him (e.g. McCoy, Thigpen)? I'd honestly prefer them to use that money elsewhere or roll it over and just grab a QB in the draft.

Well, McCoy has started more game than Flynn. I'm more confused by fans that insist we must move Flynn, but are upset by every possible alternative for a backup.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1v65vqg3 said:

What's more valuable, 3.25 million in cap savings or a draft pick? I'm not sure what Schneider's answer will be if Flynn is traded, but that's why people are talking about signing a vet backup for cheap. You also have to consider that the general opinion out there is that this is a thin QB draft class. There may not be a lot of options in the later rounds.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1zgxnfsv said:

For one, the savings is 3.25m this year & 2m next year for a total of 5.25m saved when Flynn is traded. Too many people ignore that figure and just focus on this years cap savings.

With that said, I'd prefer to do as you want to do, too; roll that cap money over into next year and draft a capable, cheap rookie backup.

The problem with that is that a "capable" rookie backup is not a guarantee in the draft. Most likely, that rookie would need a year before being forced into the spotlight unless we are looking at drafting one Day 2 (rounds 2-3), which I don't want to do.

So in conjunction to drafting a QB, it's a great addition to the roster to look at the free agent market for a capable backup, too.

A guy like McCoy or Thigpen (who will probably cost at the minimum, $1 million at most) can be that capable, experienced stopgap backup until the rookie QB is ready or at worse, we hold off on drafting a QB semi-early until next years draft.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I know he was the first QB in the NFL to run the Pistol. KC used it with him a few years back and he did great. I think he would be a great backup to have, I prefer him to Flynn.

Thigpen in Pistol Offense (as starter)
G Att Cmp Pct Yds Yd/A TD INT Rate
10 330 192 58.2 2216 6.72 16 8 84.6

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
jammerhawk":3i92x8yv said:
So would a rookie draft pick, and the rookie would be cheaper, with a potential higher upside.

I wouldn't dispute that, and drafting a rook would be my personal preference, but this is a thread about Thigpen.