Fantastic article on Harvin from the Star Tribune(Minnesota)

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I am sure there will be some volatile Percy moments. But I also think Pete is just the kind of guy to manage the egos.

PGunning101

Reaction score
All the stories from that article could just as easily have been about Richard Sherman. Pete loves personalities like that.

All I know is that Adrian Peterson respects the heck out of Harvin. That's enough for me.

And if he really got let go from the Vikings for speaking the truth and saying that Christian Ponder is terrible, well then, I don't blame him.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
In the end I still think about 80% of Harvin's departure from the Vikings was because of money. The Vikings were unwilling to renegotiate his contract last year when Percy almost walked out of training camp.

If the Viking's brass tore up his contract, gave him what the Hawks gave him this year, then he'd still be making nice with Ponder and Frasier. So Harvins can say all he wants about it being complicated, not liking Ponder as the starting QB or his relationship with his coaches.......but in the end it was what it's always about, the money.

formido

Reaction score
Pete Carroll is a stud. He gets it. Players like Sherman, Harvin they love him because he loves what they're about. Understanding that many "personality issues" are actually a good thing gives us another avenue to find undervalued assets. Carroll has no fear.

nwgamer

Reaction score
I read this as well. I liked it. I like a baller who is nothing but wanting to be at the top. What more could you ask for really? This isn't the Ruskell era anymore boys.

OP
OP
cacksman

cacksman

Reaction score
This article made me even more a fan of his.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Sounds like the exact type of personality that Pete loves.

I still have concerns, but it was reassuring to hear that the entire Vikings locker room loved the guy and wanted him back.

SE174

Reaction score
PGunning101":a8s07t4q said:
All the stories from that article could just as easily have been about Richard Sherman. Pete loves personalities like that.

All I know is that Adrian Peterson respects the heck out of Harvin. That's enough for me.

And if he really got let go from the Vikings for speaking the truth and saying that Christian Ponder is terrible, well then, I don't blame him.

I cannot wait (but have to) for Percy and Sherm to go at it in training camp. Two like-minded personalities, both among the absolute best at their positions, going against each other and making one another better.

:death2: :49ersmall: :ramssmall-2: :tardssmall: :rocket:

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
^^^ Yeah, he probably will get 60min of playing time per game. Right after he scores a TD, we'll roll him into the slot CB spot! :mrgreen:

kearly

Reaction score
I think Harvin is a classic case of being unhappy over his surroundings. Think about how Randy Moss behaved in Oakland, then consider the transformation when he went to New England. Sure, Minnesota wasn't a bad team last year, but they were one of the biggest pretenders to make the playoffs last season and their long term outlook isn't great. Money also played a big role in this. Money is more than money to guys like Harvin. It's a statement about self-worth. That's why Harvin wanted Megatron money, the same reason why Flacco wanted Manning money. It stems from a deep seeded desire to be treated like a rock star- something these guys have worked hard to achieve for years.

Now Harvin is going to the NFL's team, catching passes from the NFL's best young QB, and he's making money that is among the best at his position. I am a little worried that he might flip from only seeing 50 catches a year, but even if he does, I doubt he'll make much of a scene. He absolutely could not ask for a better situation than the one he's in right now, and he knows it.

kearly

Reaction score
Also, great article.

The comments were pretty revealing. You can tell this article picked some scabs among the Vikings homers. I interpret that as a very good sign. They badly want to move on, and are frustrated when the subject comes up. That tells me they really hate losing him, and just want to forget about it as soon as possible. Kind of like when we lost Hutch. If Harvin really was more trouble than he was worth you'd think they'd be celebrating the draft haul they got, but you don't see that at all. When we traded Aaron Curry for peanuts, the Seahawks faithful couldn't be any happier.

SoCalHawk

Reaction score
Another part of this is age and development. I think it is safe to argue that a Percy Harvin at age 25+ is a much mature, self aware human being than the adolescent version. This is simply a developmental variable. The frontal lobes, responsible for higher order cognitive skills such as impulse control, judgment, inhibition, empathy, etc., are not fully developed until the mid 20s. Fortunately, we get Percy as he starts to benefit from actually having the ability to think clearly and rationally through interpersonal conflicts. Of course, his personality is probably well established, but just another factor.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
I think RW's calm, controlled personality will work well with Percy's firery personality. Think Ying-Yang.

Can anyone give us an update on RWs offseason workout program with the recievers? I'd like to know how Percy's doing with his new crew.

truehawksfan

Reaction score
Also - Both RW and Percy are ultra comnpetitive....they just handle it differently.

Hawks46

Reaction score
I kind of get that Percy is one of those guys that doesn't get along with a hard assed coach (childress), and is ultra competitive.

Pete isn't hard assed or a disciplinarian, but he pushes his guys hard, and encourages them to push eachother. I think that's a good environment for Harvin.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I got a text at 4am this morning from one of my many Vikes friends that read:

"If we traded my favorite player to replace him with Manti blanking Te'o I'm goiing to go off the deep end"

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
People grow up. Guys get older and change. He probably has got a lot of the douchiness out of his system by now. And being in a new envirement will show up asinine behavior - same deal with Moss and Lynch. He'll be fine.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
This trade makes me think of the Marshawn Lynch trade in the sense that sometimes, a player just needs a change of surroundings to feel as though he fits in and can be happy and productive. The posters on Bills websites were frustrated about Marshawn Lynch becoming a high-level runner after he left Buffalo, but many of them noted that he just was not happy as a Bill, and keeping him would not have guaranteed that he transform into the Beast Mode that we all know and love.

This is why I don't have any real concern about Harvin's attitude, which from this article seems to be big on taking anything as a slight and using it as motivation. No wonder he took Minnesota's reluctance to pay him as a slight. For him, maybe it is less about getting paid to get paid and more about getting paid as a sign that he is respected as one of the best in the league at his position. I totally understand that.

Anyway, I think now that he has been paid by the Seahawks, he considers himself properly appreciated by this team and he will fit in, and I also love having another guy that feels slighted on our team. They all can motivate one another.