Fantastic article on Harvin from the Star Tribune(Minnesota)

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • “I told him, ‘P, don’t start. I’ve been with you the whole time. The kid hasn’t said anything to you. He’s not even looking at you,’ ” Anderson said. “And Percy said, ‘Exactly. He won’t even look at me. He’s disrespecting me.’ ”

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... ml?refer=y
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

• I am sure there will be some volatile Percy moments. But I also think Pete is just the kind of guy to manage the egos.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• All the stories from that article could just as easily have been about Richard Sherman. Pete loves personalities like that.

All I know is that Adrian Peterson respects the heck out of Harvin. That's enough for me.

And if he really got let go from the Vikings for speaking the truth and saying that Christian Ponder is terrible, well then, I don't blame him.
    Pete Carroll + John Schneider = Always Compete
    PGunning101
    NET Rookie

• In the end I still think about 80% of Harvin's departure from the Vikings was because of money. The Vikings were unwilling to renegotiate his contract last year when Percy almost walked out of training camp.

If the Viking's brass tore up his contract, gave him what the Hawks gave him this year, then he'd still be making nice with Ponder and Frasier. So Harvins can say all he wants about it being complicated, not liking Ponder as the starting QB or his relationship with his coaches.......but in the end it was what it's always about, the money.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Veteran

• Pete Carroll is a stud. He gets it. Players like Sherman, Harvin they love him because he loves what they're about. Understanding that many "personality issues" are actually a good thing gives us another avenue to find undervalued assets. Carroll has no fear.
    formido
    NET Starter

• I read this as well. I liked it. I like a baller who is nothing but wanting to be at the top. What more could you ask for really? This isn't the Ruskell era anymore boys.

Our secondary is gonna be like the Bermuda Triangle this year again boys! 2/3rds of the world is covered by water..... the rest is covered by the LOB!

Made....Laid.....Paid!!!
    nwgamer
    NET Starter

• This article made me even more a fan of his.
    cacksman
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like the exact type of personality that Pete loves.

I still have concerns, but it was reassuring to hear that the entire Vikings locker room loved the guy and wanted him back.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• He played some DB in High School, eh? At the State Championship..."He delivered 476 all-purpose yards, scored four touchdowns and intercepted three passes."

Pretty friggin awesome!
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

• PGunning101 wrote:All the stories from that article could just as easily have been about Richard Sherman. Pete loves personalities like that.

All I know is that Adrian Peterson respects the heck out of Harvin. That's enough for me.

And if he really got let go from the Vikings for speaking the truth and saying that Christian Ponder is terrible, well then, I don't blame him.

I cannot wait (but have to) for Percy and Sherm to go at it in training camp. Two like-minded personalities, both among the absolute best at their positions, going against each other and making one another better.

:death2: :49ersmall: :ramssmall-2: :tardssmall: :rocket:
    For custom Seahawk backgrounds and signatures, click HERE!
    SE174
    NET Veteran

• ^^^ Yeah, he probably will get 60min of playing time per game. Right after he scores a TD, we'll roll him into the slot CB spot! :mrgreen:
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• I think Harvin is a classic case of being unhappy over his surroundings. Think about how Randy Moss behaved in Oakland, then consider the transformation when he went to New England. Sure, Minnesota wasn't a bad team last year, but they were one of the biggest pretenders to make the playoffs last season and their long term outlook isn't great. Money also played a big role in this. Money is more than money to guys like Harvin. It's a statement about self-worth. That's why Harvin wanted Megatron money, the same reason why Flacco wanted Manning money. It stems from a deep seeded desire to be treated like a rock star- something these guys have worked hard to achieve for years.

Now Harvin is going to the NFL's team, catching passes from the NFL's best young QB, and he's making money that is among the best at his position. I am a little worried that he might flip from only seeing 50 catches a year, but even if he does, I doubt he'll make much of a scene. He absolutely could not ask for a better situation than the one he's in right now, and he knows it.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Also, great article.

The comments were pretty revealing. You can tell this article picked some scabs among the Vikings homers. I interpret that as a very good sign. They badly want to move on, and are frustrated when the subject comes up. That tells me they really hate losing him, and just want to forget about it as soon as possible. Kind of like when we lost Hutch. If Harvin really was more trouble than he was worth you'd think they'd be celebrating the draft haul they got, but you don't see that at all. When we traded Aaron Curry for peanuts, the Seahawks faithful couldn't be any happier.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Another part of this is age and development. I think it is safe to argue that a Percy Harvin at age 25+ is a much mature, self aware human being than the adolescent version. This is simply a developmental variable. The frontal lobes, responsible for higher order cognitive skills such as impulse control, judgment, inhibition, empathy, etc., are not fully developed until the mid 20s. Fortunately, we get Percy as he starts to benefit from actually having the ability to think clearly and rationally through interpersonal conflicts. Of course, his personality is probably well established, but just another factor.
    SoCalHawk
    NET Practice Squad

• I think RW's calm, controlled personality will work well with Percy's firery personality. Think Ying-Yang.

Can anyone give us an update on RWs offseason workout program with the recievers? I'd like to know how Percy's doing with his new crew.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• Also - Both RW and Percy are ultra comnpetitive....they just handle it differently.
    truehawksfan
    NET Veteran

• I kind of get that Percy is one of those guys that doesn't get along with a hard assed coach (childress), and is ultra competitive.

Pete isn't hard assed or a disciplinarian, but he pushes his guys hard, and encourages them to push eachother. I think that's a good environment for Harvin.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• I got a text at 4am this morning from one of my many Vikes friends that read:

"If we traded my favorite player to replace him with Manti blanking Te'o I'm goiing to go off the deep end"
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• People grow up. Guys get older and change. He probably has got a lot of the douchiness out of his system by now. And being in a new envirement will show up asinine behavior - same deal with Moss and Lynch. He'll be fine.
    SEAHAWKS SITTING PRETTY GOING INTO BYE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/24/ ... -bye-week/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• This trade makes me think of the Marshawn Lynch trade in the sense that sometimes, a player just needs a change of surroundings to feel as though he fits in and can be happy and productive. The posters on Bills websites were frustrated about Marshawn Lynch becoming a high-level runner after he left Buffalo, but many of them noted that he just was not happy as a Bill, and keeping him would not have guaranteed that he transform into the Beast Mode that we all know and love.

This is why I don't have any real concern about Harvin's attitude, which from this article seems to be big on taking anything as a slight and using it as motivation. No wonder he took Minnesota's reluctance to pay him as a slight. For him, maybe it is less about getting paid to get paid and more about getting paid as a sign that he is respected as one of the best in the league at his position. I totally understand that.

Anyway, I think now that he has been paid by the Seahawks, he considers himself properly appreciated by this team and he will fit in, and I also love having another guy that feels slighted on our team. They all can motivate one another.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Marshawn was also 24 (Percy's age) when Seattle acquired him. If you look up the initial reaction of Buffalo fans to the Lynch deal it's actually eerily similar to how Minnesota fans are reacting now i.e. he's a malcontent and a distraction and it's time for both sides to move on.

At the same time, you won't find anyone who claimed Marshawn didn't give it his all as a competitor. Same with Harvin. Pretty sure that's all that matters to Pete. The rest can be corrected by the right environment as we've already seen.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:51 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information