Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Rumor - Matt Flynn trade imminent

The Essential Online Seattle Football Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: Rumor - Matt Flynn trade imminent
Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 pm
  • HawkWow wrote:Ponder IS a good QB compared to Webb. I am suggesting a cheap serviceable back up, that has some upside, in the extreme event he may be needed. BTW, I know several Vike fans that would rather see Webb than Ponder. But they are wrong too.

They both suck. I don't know what Russelesque traits you see in Webb, unless I wasn't paying enough attention last year, and my notion that Russell actually could hit water from a boat is wrong.
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:09 pm
  • Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 3m
    With the Raiders on verge of a trade for Matt Flynn, the Cardinals are nearing a deal for former Raiders starter Carson Palmer.

Raiders will actually get a pick for Palmer? Or was that just worded poorly?
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:11 pm
  • I trust that the same braintrust that found RW can go out and found a suitable replacement at a much cheaper price. And finding a backup is much easier than finding a starter. If Flynn were to step in for an injured RW, our offense becomes very traditional and would lose the aspect that made it so dynamic. Now we find a guy who saves a ton of money and can fill that role (to a lesser degree, of course) and won't be crying for a starting shot, at least for a few years.
    Seahawks-Blazers-Mariners-Ducks
    cheese22
    NET Rookie

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:12 pm
  • I understand the need to keep the clutter away, and I mean no offense to those who have shared their keen insights on pages 1-10 of this thread, but may I respectfully suggest that if and when there is actual news that he has been traded or that the trade has fallen through, the title of this thread be updated with a reference to the page where the news has been posted, or a new thread be permitted so that the real news is on page 1?
    Boiler
    NET Starter

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:18 pm
  • Hope Flynn gets the starting job in Oakland, and does it well. Don't have much love for the Raiders (less then the Niners tbh) but worth it to cheer Flynn on if it gets us a higher conditional pick next year, besides he deserves the chance to start before he's too old to show what he's got. As far as compensation if JS is happy, I am happy.

As for Flynn's usefulness to the Seahawks, he inadvertently helped show everyone in the country what Russell Wilson was, a fierce competitor that won out his starting job (as opposed to Luck, RG3, and Newton starting by default) and turned into one of the best QBs in the league in 2012. RW is a favorite of quite a few former Hawk haters as the QB they'd love to start a franchise around.

Flynn helped get Seattle the respect we have. Worth the money we paid, especially if we get some tough away games on the east coast changed to primetime because of it. Should be thankful to Flynn for launching RW's career and ushering in some good times for the Hawks.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:24 pm
  • I dunno, I just cannot wait til he's off the team and we can finally have a back up QB who no one gives a damn about again.

I miss those days.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:24 pm
  • Rat wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:Ponder IS a good QB compared to Webb. I am suggesting a cheap serviceable back up, that has some upside, in the extreme event he may be needed. BTW, I know several Vike fans that would rather see Webb than Ponder. But they are wrong too.

They both suck. I don't know what Russelesque traits you see in Webb, unless I wasn't paying enough attention last year, and my notion that Russell actually could hit water from a boat is wrong.

Strong armed and mobile. Aside from "football smart", I think those are the two traits most commonly referred to when describing RW. Those can also be used (with less exclamation) for Webb.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 pm
  • Lady Talon wrote:Hope Flynn gets the starting job in Oakland, and does it well. Don't have much love for the Raiders (less then the Niners tbh) but worth it to cheer Flynn on if it gets us a higher conditional pick next year, besides he deserves the chance to start before he's too old to show what he's got. As far as compensation if JS is happy, I am happy.

As for Flynn's usefulness to the Seahawks, he inadvertently helped show everyone in the country what Russell Wilson was, a fierce competitor that won out his starting job (as opposed to Luck, RG3, and Newton starting by default) and turned into one of the best QBs in the league in 2012. RW is a favorite of quite a few former Hawk haters as the QB they'd love to start a franchise around.

Flynn helped get Seattle the respect we have. Worth the money we paid, especially if we get some tough away games on the east coast changed to primetime because of it. Should be thankful to Flynn for launching RW's career and ushering in some good times for the Hawks.

Excellent. If there was a QB that I'd trade Wilson for, all things considered, it would have to be Rodgers. So Flynn has played second fiddle to (arguably) the two best QBs in the league. Not much shame in that.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:32 pm
  • At this point I don't even care if we keep or trade him.

Lets just win the god damned super bowl.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:33 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:At this point I don't even care if we keep or trade him.

Yeah.. The only QB that matters on this team at this present time is working on that ;)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:36 pm
  • From the sounds of it, the Seahawks seem content however this turns out. If Flynn can't renegotiate, oh well, he's back and MAYBE someone else makes a play. The Hawks get to keep their reputation for doing right by their players: ie affording Flynn a chance to start.

I love they made an effort to get him what he wants. Just like I loved how they gave TJack some cred via trade instead of release.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:37 pm
  • Imminent my left foot.
    Doug Baldwin took a hit to the head when he was younger and now can't remember how to drop a football. - SomersetHawk
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:39 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I dunno, I just cannot wait til he's off the team and we can finally have a back up QB who no one gives a damn about again.

I miss those days.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

:th2thumbs:
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 pm
  • Coug_Hawk08 wrote:Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 3m
    With the Raiders on verge of a trade for Matt Flynn, the Cardinals are nearing a deal for former Raiders starter Carson Palmer.

Raiders will actually get a pick for Palmer? Or was that just worded poorly?

no, he said "former raiders starter" implying they have released him.
    FargoHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:50 pm
  • This is pretty exciting. I have had an extra instance of my browser open with “Matt Flynn Seahawks” in the subject field. I keep refreshing the site hoping for news…

The answer to Russell’s backup is to have another “cattle call” of tryouts, similar to what PC/JS did in the first year. I would like to see Vince Young get a shot as well as Seneca and others, maybe even JaMarcus Russell (can you imagine him running the ball?), but probably a draft choice too.

Flynn deserves a chance to start and will be a lot happier. I am sure he must have asked Pete to consider a trade.

This off season has been full of surprises. It looks like the front office is betting it all on an already winning team. We need to take advantage of the situation and win now because after 2 more seasons…you know.

Carpe Diem…Seize the day!
    Hawkspeed
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:51 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I dunno, I just cannot wait til he's off the team and we can finally have a back up QB who no one gives a damn about again.

I miss those days.

What does were those exactly? Kitna, Krieg, Kemp, Stouffer, Dilfer, even Wallace (okay, not to replace Hass but just to get on the field)?
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:55 pm
  • :thcoffee:
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:58 pm
  • All you wanting a camp fodder QB to back up Wilson so that there are no QB threads are pretty sad to see. These same people will bash Schnieder and Pete if Wilson goes down, they will bash the poor soul that steps in and gets manhandled trying to play the position.

So instead of a QB competition thread it will be a would of should of could of thread on why our front office can't find adequete QB's.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:00 pm
  • Jamarcus Russell could play backup QB and long snapper! Heck hypnotize him to think the football is a giant cheese burger and he'd probably make a great DT too. On a serious note the kid might actually learn something from Wilson.
    brimsalabim
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:01 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:All you wanting a camp fodder QB to back up Wilson so that there are no QB threads are pretty sad to see. These same people will bash Schnieder and Pete if Wilson goes down, they will bash the poor soul that steps in and gets manhandled trying to play the position.

So instead of a QB competition thread it will be a would of should of could of thread on why our front office can't find adequete QB's.

Or maybe they'll just be cursing the bad luck that Wilson got injured, accepting that aside from wrapping the guy in bubble wrap there's not a great deal Pete or John can do in terms of remaining a contender if Wilson goes down.

A case in point... how many Packers fans were on the brink of tearing down Lambeau because Graham Harrell was the backup to Aaron Rodgers?

None.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:04 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:Jamarcus Russell could play backup QB and long snapper! Heck hypnotize him to think the football is a giant cheese burger and he'd probably make a great DT too. On a serious note the kid might actually learn something from Wilson.

I'd rather have Chandler Harnish than Jamarcus.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:40 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:
    uncle fester wrote:
    bestfightstory wrote:I predict we come away with Oakland's 2nd.

One way or another.

Raiders don't have a 2nd.

Wow. That cracked me up.

:lol:
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:45 pm
  • Love the move. We get value for a costly and superfluous piece.

This is a guy who has played 2 NFL games and if he actually had to play for an extended period of time next year - I would be hard pressed to think that we would make a serious run at the Super Bowl - so honestly who cares if we lose him as it is Super Bowl or bust for me every season for at least the next 4.

Let's bring young guys who better fit the mold of what we want in a QB to compete for the back-up position and won't cost us 8-9 million dollars.

Moreover, if we could do the previous and get a pick or two while extending some key players rather than waiting to cut Flynn next offseason (which was inevitable)- R E S P E C K.
    Driver of the PC/JS Super Bowl wagon since 2010
    Sherman looks like a ballet master in grand jeté –
    a trash-talking, dreadlocked Baryshnikov suspended
    impossibly above the turf – pro football's paean to
    wanton human destruction slips into the sublime.
    TDOTSEAHAWK
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:48 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:What the hell were they thinking with that green alternative uni?

I guess because nothing says "you just hit rock bottom" like the ugliest uniforms in the NFL.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:49 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:What the hell were they thinking with that green alternative uni?

I guess because nothing says "you just hit rock bottom" like the ugliest uniforms in the NFL.

Did you mean to say "greatest uniforms in NFL history"?
    Image Always been a Seahawks fan
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:57 pm
  • brimsalabim wrote:Jamarcus Russell could play backup QB and long snapper! Heck hypnotize him to think the football is a giant bottle of purple drank and he'd probably make a great DT too. On a serious note the kid might actually learn something from Wilson.

Fixed.
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 pm
  • Largent80 wrote:At this point I don't even care if we keep or trade him.

Meh. I'd rather win the Superb Owl. Sounds much more prestigious.
    "You can hurry up all you want. But if you can't get yards and can't complete passes, then it's just quick three-and-outs." -- Richard Sherman
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:00 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    kearly wrote:
    theENGLISHseahawk wrote:What the hell were they thinking with that green alternative uni?

The Seahawks wore that lime green Jersey against Chicago in the "damn you Olindo Mare for going 4/6!" game. It was retired by Mora immediately (perhaps the only rational move he made while here). It would never come out of the closet ever again.
    Last edited by kearly on Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 4 times in total.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:00 pm
  • kearly wrote:

Mora's stare.

Green jersey's.

#4 overall pick at linebacker.

Game's over in the fourth quarter...

Let us never speak of this so called '2009 season' ever again.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:01 pm
  • polarbill1999 wrote:Looks like a couple people that seem to be pretty knowledgeable are guessing a 6th this year and a conditional 4th or 5th next season. If it ends up being something similar to that I am happy.

While it would be great to have a starting caliber QB to backup Wilson if trading him means we can pick up someone else to make the team better this year and/or allows us to lockup Kam I think it is a win. Sure there is a risk wilson gets hurt and whoever we get to back him up isn't as good as Flynn but there is also a risk that if we keep flynn we might not be able to upgrade another position or resign Kam.

Why spend 7 million on a backup that if the season goes well never sees the field at an important time when we can use that money elsewhere.

Plus knowing our FO they will probably turn those 2 picks into a future star RT and WILL.

I've heard that it's swapping 3rds this year (difference equates to a late 4th rounder), plus a conditional 5th/4th next year.
    SE174
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:06 pm
  • pehawk wrote:From the sounds of it, the Seahawks seem content however this turns out. If Flynn can't renegotiate, oh well, he's back and MAYBE someone else makes a play. The Hawks get to keep their reputation for doing right by their players: ie affording Flynn a chance to start.

I love they made an effort to get him what he wants. Just like I loved how they gave TJack some cred via trade instead of release.

Ok, so... the Seahawks have done this player right - but, after all that, it really IS about the money after all: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -staredown

If Matt Flynn's contract pays him just a bit more than Matt Hasselbeck this season to be a backup... the Seahawks truly are in a good position as you say. I'm indifferent at this point. Flynn needs to decide if he is confident enough in his ability to win the job in Oakland vs. Pryor and any from the rookie group. If the trade goes down, perhaps the Raiders are less likely to take a QB with their limited picks anyway. Still, the chances of another Russell Wilson beating him out in camp are slim to none. With his relationship with the GM there... if this trade gets nixed by Flynn, it really is more about the money than a chance to start.
    Fan since team Est. 1976
    Winner of 2013 and 2015 .net annual draft contests
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:09 pm
  • kearly wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:
    kearly wrote:

The Seahawks wore that lime green Jersey against Chicago in the "damn you Olindo Mare for going 4/6!" game. It was retired by Mora immediately (perhaps the only rational move he made while here). It would never come out of the closet ever again.

Yeah, it's really too bad that the greatest uniforms in NFL history have to be tainted by that unfortunate scenario.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:09 pm
  • theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
    kearly wrote:

Mora's stare.

Green jersey's.

#4 overall pick at linebacker.

Game's over in the fourth quarter...

Let us never speak of this so called '2009 season' ever again.

Oh and of course, the frantic meltdowns over at fieldgulls.

In a way, the lime green jerseys were perfect for that team. Dysfunctional, ugly, and short-lived.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:15 pm
  • How could we go from such bleak despair to confident optimism in just three seasons? Amazing what Carroll and Schneider have done.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:16 pm
  • I think imminent was the wrong word for Werner to use.........more like "Flynn trade moving at a snails pace."
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:19 pm
  • SE174 wrote:
    polarbill1999 wrote:Looks like a couple people that seem to be pretty knowledgeable are guessing a 6th this year and a conditional 4th or 5th next season. If it ends up being something similar to that I am happy.

While it would be great to have a starting caliber QB to backup Wilson if trading him means we can pick up someone else to make the team better this year and/or allows us to lockup Kam I think it is a win. Sure there is a risk wilson gets hurt and whoever we get to back him up isn't as good as Flynn but there is also a risk that if we keep flynn we might not be able to upgrade another position or resign Kam.

Why spend 7 million on a backup that if the season goes well never sees the field at an important time when we can use that money elsewhere.

Plus knowing our FO they will probably turn those 2 picks into a future star RT and WILL.

I've heard that it's swapping 3rds this year (difference equates to a late 4th rounder), plus a conditional 5th/4th next year.

I would be quite happy with that compensation for Flynn.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:22 pm

Equals:

kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 pm
  • TeamoftheCentury wrote:
    pehawk wrote:From the sounds of it, the Seahawks seem content however this turns out. If Flynn can't renegotiate, oh well, he's back and MAYBE someone else makes a play. The Hawks get to keep their reputation for doing right by their players: ie affording Flynn a chance to start.

Ok, so... the Seahawks have done this player right - but, after all that, it really IS about the money after all: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... -staredown

If Matt Flynn's contract pays him just a bit more than Matt Hasselbeck this season to be a backup... the Seahawks truly are in a good position as you say. I'm indifferent at this point. Flynn needs to decide if he is confident enough in his ability to win the job in Oakland vs. Pryor and any from the rookie group. If the trade goes down, perhaps the Raiders are less likely to take a QB with their limited picks anyway. Still, the chances of another Russell Wilson beating him out in camp are slim to none. With his relationship with the GM there... if this trade gets nixed by Flynn, it really is more about the money than a chance to start.

You are kidding right? Flynn wasn't done right or wrong here. He was signed then put on the bench he owes us NOTHING. Furthermore why take a cut and then be a starting qb? He should not give in I would never. If anything I would say make it three years with more guaranteed same average......

Oakland is looking to send Palmer to Arizona and this is about their cap management and not Flynn's worth. Funny how players are greasy when the NFL owners are billionaires.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:26 pm
  • Those are amazing.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:30 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:Those are amazing.

I shoulda busted out my green Hass jersey while u were down here! U woulda been super impressed!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:35 pm
  • dunceface wrote:
    Zebulon Dak wrote:Those are amazing.

I shoulda busted out my green Hass jersey while u were down here! U woulda been super impressed!

It would have made me want to stand even closer to you than I already was. "That song that makes you make exceptions" hahahahahahaha!!!!
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm
  • mikeak wrote:You are kidding right? Flynn wasn't done right or wrong here. He was signed then put on the bench he owes us NOTHING. Furthermore why take a cut and then be a starting qb? He should not give in I would never.

If he stays, he makes his year 2 salary then gets cut and is offered back-up money somewhere else. If he works with Oakland, wins the starting job and plays well, he sets himself up for a bigger payday down the line. Not saying taking less money to start is the right choice, but there is some reason to it if you look at the big picture.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:45 pm
  • BAHAHAHAHAAAHAHAA
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:01 pm
  • Up to Flynn, totally.
    @ryanadamdavis
    pehawk
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:06 pm
  • kearly wrote:

Has Cole pissed his pants there?
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:10 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    kearly wrote:

hey nice pee pee joke Benj.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:10 pm
  • DavidSeven wrote:
    mikeak wrote:You are kidding right? Flynn wasn't done right or wrong here. He was signed then put on the bench he owes us NOTHING. Furthermore why take a cut and then be a starting qb? He should not give in I would never.

If he stays, he makes his year 2 salary then gets cut and is offered back-up money somewhere else. If he works with Oakland, wins the starting job and plays well, he sets himself up for a bigger payday down the line. Not saying taking less money to start is the right choice, but there is some reason to it if you look at the big picture.

Assuming nothing else comes up or he gets cut next year takes the $2million guaranteed and signs wherever he wants next year after he is cut "guaranteeing" a starting spot.

Big picture different angle. I also don't see Oakland keeping Palmer nor getting a cheaper starter. If they put it all in Pryor then that is a huge gamble.
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:20 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    kearly wrote:

hey nice pee pee joke Benj.

It's what I do.
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:23 pm
  • Nice touch with the avatar, Zeb. Not old school, not new school. But...?
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:25 pm
  • Seahawk Sailor wrote:Nice touch with the avatar, Zeb. Not old school, not new school. But...?

Wish I had a more current picture to use but... oh well...
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information