Seahawks were interested in Mike Wallace

HawkFan72

Reaction score
Probably just Schneider doing his regular "leave no stone unturned" gig, but still interesting to hear that we contacted the Wallace camp at some point. This is just the first confirmation that I have seen that says the Hawks were even looking in his direction at any point. And that we were only one of a handful of teams to do so. Once we saw just how much money was being talked about was probably the cue to stop pursuing him.

Mike Wallace Jr. claims his son actually turned down more money from the Minnesota Vikings. The St. Louis Rams and Seattle Seahawks were among the teams that also showed interest, according to Wallace's dad.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...offered-mike-wallace-richer-contract-dad-says

DavidSeven

Reaction score
The main thing I got from that article is that the Vikings have no idea what they're doing. Yeah, let's offer $13 million/yr to a WR whose only dimension is speed, so we can pair him with a QB who can't throw deep. I'm sure that would have ended well.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I'm glad we didn't sign him. I am happy we have Harvin even if it cost us our 1st rd pick.

kearly

Reaction score
DavidSeven":pnabejtr said:
The main thing I got from that article is that the Vikings have no idea what they're doing. Yeah, let's offer $13 million/yr to a WR whose only dimension is speed, so we can pair him with a QB who can't throw deep. I'm sure that would have ended well.

Good point. I've been thinking for a while that Minnesota seems 2 years away from disaster, and this supports that idea as well as anything. In a way, they remind me of the Raiders when they traded for Palmer. A good team at that moment in time, but destined to suck and suck badly within a couple years. That's what happens when you have a weak armed QB leading an aging roster.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kearly":37smvqnx said:
DavidSeven":37smvqnx said:

Good point. I've been thinking for a while that Minnesota seems 2 years away from disaster, and this supports that idea as well as anything. In a way, they remind me of the Raiders when they traded for Palmer. A good team at that moment in time, but destined to suck and suck badly within a couple years. That's what happens when you have a weak armed QB leading an aging roster.

I think they are an Adrian Peterson historic season away from being a disaster. They have a decent defense, but if AP doesn't put them on his back last year I think they are one of league's worst teams last year.

pinksheets

Reaction score
The Vikings have been a poorly run team for a while, even the year they made it to the NFC Championship game. They've always appeared shortsighted and confused. Holding onto the idea of Favre too long, letting a solid young talent like Rice just walk away in FA, drafting Ponder, keeping with Ponder last year, seemingly treating Ponder as the unquestioned starter for 2013, etc. They let young talent walk, they make horrible errors at QB beyond lucking out with Favre for one year, they've made some bad moves in the draft, they don't have the balls to move on from bad players (though they let Sid walk and can't hang onto an elite young player like Harvin), and so on and so on. They come off as a delusional franchise with many delusional fans who think Ponder is going to grow into this franchise quarterback he was never going to be and thinking they aren't a team whose best players are near the end of their primes or careers in general that needs to focus more on rebuilding than anything else at this point.

I know there's a lot said about the Seahawks and Vikings swapping players here and there, but I think there's just a series of unrelated moves and with our current regime + their's you're just seeing a franchise that lets really good young players leave and another that knows that these types aren't usually available and snatching them up.

When I was hearing they were in on Wallace before he signed in Miami, I thought it was absurd. What a ridiculous pairing. They trade away the type of guy Ponder needs for success that can make plays if this bad QB just does a minimal job and gets the ball in the guy's hands (which Percy reportedly recognized as he argued that Ponder wasn't worthwhile), and then pursue a guy hard in FA for more money that's biggest talent is doing something their QB can't take advantage of. This is just an awful franchise, it reminds me of the Ruskell era. Just awful decision after awful decision, some good players might sneak through, some good vets carrying over from better days, but lots of good players leaving the team and a team that really has no hope to go anywhere. Sometimes bad teams make the playoffs, the Vikings were a bad team last year, they were carried by a historic performance by AP and a decent defense, but it's just not a good team. I'd bet on them picking top 3 next year before I bet they make the playoffs again.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I kind of got the idea long before Wallace went to Miami that he is a south beach kind of guy. We don't know waht Seattle had offered, but no doubt it was competitive.

And the more money in Minnesota thing is pointless, unless the guaranteed was more. His Miami deal actually has some club options built in after three years, so fixing on the 65 million number could be pretty innaccurate.

drdiags

Reaction score
Side note on Ponder.

The Vikings once had Joe Kapp as their starter. He got them to the Superbowl, was tough as nails but it was the defense more than Kapp's skills that made them a force. Ponder probably looks like a godsend compared to what the old duffers saw with Kapp.

TheLargentLine

Reaction score
I am happy we ended up with Harvin. I am not a big fan of Wallace tbh and I think Harvin is a superior player. Had we not received Harvin then I would have preferred to get a WR in the draft to signing super 1 dimensional Wallace.

Rat

Reaction score
They should have been interested in Wallace. He's an elite deep ball receiver, and we have one of the best deep-ball passers in the league.

The Radish

Reaction score
drdiags":2yn39cui said:
Side note on Ponder.

The Vikings once had Joe Kapp as their starter. He got them to the Superbowl, was tough as nails but it was the defense more than Kapp's skills that made them a force. Ponder probably looks like a godsend compared to what the old duffers saw with Kapp.

Kapp was awful in that he threw "dying quails" for passes tho he did get them there on time. As Doc said he was mostly gritty and hung in there but was not much of a QB.

:les:

Rat

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":369znd1b said:
Harvin is a much better fit for our offense.
Absolutely. Wallace was definitely worth looking into though, and would have been a nice option had we not been able to add Harvin.

HawkWow

Reaction score
I am just grateful Harvin doesn't have Wallace's agent. Wallace is a one trick pony and his agent deserves an incredible bonus for orchestrating one of the most insane deals since the Raiders signed Carson Palmer. Bizarre.

Edit: Romo just got a long term deal at 18 mil per (with 55 guaranteed). The madness continues.

Rat

Reaction score
HawkWow":10ac72tl said:
I am just grateful Harvin doesn't have Wallace's agent. Wallace is a one trick pony and his agent deserves an incredible bonus for orchestrating one of the most insane deals since the Raiders signed Carson Palmer. Bizarre.

Edit: Romo just got a long term deal at 18 mil per (with 55 guaranteed). The madness continues.
Wallace does a lot on the field; he's not a one-trick pony, he just has something that he does so well that it overshadows the rest of his game.

Romo is a top 10 QB, and that's what the going rate is for that. Good move for the Cowboys. Franchise QBs are hard to find, so lock him when you do find one.

HawkWow

Reaction score
Rat":2vti39fv said:
HawkWow":2vti39fv said:

Wallace does a lot on the field; he's not a one-trick pony, he just has something that he does so well that it overshadows the rest of his game.

Romo is a top 10 QB, and that's what the going rate is for that. Good move for the Cowboys. Franchise QBs are hard to find, so lock him when you do find one.

I respect your opinion but couldn't disagree more. Wallace is more of a track guy playing football than vice versa. Plus he has a bad attitude and drops too many balls. Crime of the century and I believe time will prove my position.

Romo? Romo is a choke artist. He has good fundamentals, a good arm, but loses the plot in crunch time. The examples are many. I think it was a better deal for the rest of the NFC than it was for the Cowboys. I'm good with that.

Rat

Reaction score
The Romo choke stuff is WAY overblown. He has been pretty studly for most of the past few years.

It took the Seahawks nearly 40 years to find a QB better than Romo (we assume, which feels safe, but you never know). You can't let a guy like him go.

Carmon1274

Reaction score
HawkWow":3u33yhq2 said:
Rat":3u33yhq2 said:
HawkWow":3u33yhq2 said:

I respect your opinion but couldn't disagree more. Wallace is more of a track guy playing football than vice versa. Plus he has a bad attitude and drops too many balls. Crime of the century and I believe time will prove my position.

Romo? Romo is a choke artist. He has good fundamentals, a good arm, but loses the plot in crunch time. The examples are many. I think it was a better deal for the rest of the NFC than it was for the Cowboys. I'm good with that.

Your Logic don't make sense. Then DHB whould have produced same yards as Wallace.

I think you should watch Wallace's last season highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KFfTKLc36E

HawkWow

Reaction score
Highlights were apparently enough for Miami, too. I'm not saying Wallace is garbage...I'm saying he was over-paid and we clearly got the better deal with Harvin. We have more weapons than Miami and I'd still be willing to bet Harvin's numbers exceed Wallace's in '13.

Latest posts