Kiper and Mort aboard the DangeRuss train

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Mel likes Russell now......... :240039: :240039: :240039: :240039: :240039: :240039: :240039:

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
It's annoying to see that not only is Kiper a believer, but he looks giddy when talking about Wilson. I don't think I've ever seen that man look giddy about anybody, before. Then again, I try to avoid Kiper...

Matticus

Reaction score
Look at it this way, I'm glad last year went the way it did enough to make Kiper a believer then for it to have ended in a Kiper "I told you so."

SouthSoundHawk

Reaction score
Segment was BS.

Trent Dilfer and Mel Kiper were not sitting around a year ago saying anything positive about Wilson, or knew/expected him to do what he did.

Both of those turds should be working at sporting good stores.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I thought Mort was the most annoying of the segment. "None of the three will be playing in the SB next year."

Evil_Shenanigans

Reaction score
I'm afraid there are only so many seats on this Train and Kiper doesn't get one! What a schlub!

JesterHawk

Reaction score
Blowhards get paid to be blowhards. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Skip Bayless, Mel Kiper, they all pick a side and go with it. It makes good TV, radio and articles. Nobody they trot out there on ESPN or any other network is a real "Expert" because all of the experts are at the VMAC breaking down tape on college talent.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
JesterHawk":1g4esdqu said:
Blowhards get paid to be blowhards. Don't hate the player, hate the game. Skip Bayless, Mel Kiper, they all pick a side and go with it. It makes good TV, radio and articles. Nobody they trot out there on ESPN or any other network is a real "Expert" because all of the experts are at the VMAC breaking down tape on college talent.

I've got no problem with this. What I do have a problem with is when they pretend they weren't wrong. It's ok to be wrong. Everybody is, all the time, about various things. Just 'fess up when you're wrong in a big way, for cryin' out loud. Some guys do this in the NFL business, the vast majority do not.

Rat

Reaction score
I've always been a big supporter of Kiper because he gets unfairly bashed, but his stuff about Wilson wasn't really all that negative last year. He had the same concerns that most did (the height thing), but also added that if Russell Wilson isn't able to do it, no 5'10" QB ever will.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Rat":1jdeuyc7 said:
I've always been a big supporter of Kiper because he gets unfairly bashed, but his stuff about Wilson wasn't really all that negative last year. He had the same concerns that most did (the height thing), but also added that if Russell Wilson isn't able to do it, no 5'10" QB ever will.

Didn't Kiper say Wilson's ceiling was being a backup? Someone did, I know for sure; thought it was Kiper, but can't remember for certain.

Sac

Reaction score
Kiper has always been a favorite of mine. I always know who not to model my mock drafts off of.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I didn't feel like Kiper was over the top last year. At worst, he stated kind of the obvious. Guys sub 6' in the third round or later have no track record of success. Really regardless of size, getting drafted that late or later is extremely difficult to project them being a starter, much less a franchise QB.

I did however love hearing Gruden's passionate diatribe on Kiper's lack of faith in Wilson. Honestly, I saw it as the difference between a guy who looks at the draft like a cattle call -- a football outsider with no regard to developing a player, and a coach who appreciates the non 'on tape' quality of a prospect and a guy who has intimate knowledge of the realities of turning prospects into players. It was a perfect illustration of the difference in depth that both men bring to the discussion.

Kiper really only has a superficial understanding of prospects and a shallow, but broad understanding of key elements of the draft process. Overall, I think he hits more than he misses and hits more than most amateurs do. But he falls into the classic trap of thinking he knows more than he does. He doesn't understand or recognize the process of turning those guys into pros and he doesn't have the ability to see how guys fit into a team's schemes.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3s9j65d7 said:
Rat":3s9j65d7 said:

Didn't Kiper say Wilson's ceiling was being a backup? Someone did, I know for sure; thought it was Kiper, but can't remember for certain.
I think it was Bill Polian but I'm not absolutely sure. That guy's another mediot that's no better than the rest.
I'll listen to the opinions/analysis of Jaworski and Gruden right now and all the rest can buzz off.