If we trade Flynn, does Carson Palmer come here?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13

• pretty sure he'd take the money and the starting opportunity at arizona first, unless he is 100% in the hasselbeck realm of resignation at being a better backup.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I doubt it. He is probably one of the most immobile quarterbacks out there.
    Natethegreat
    NET Veteran

• Natethegreat wrote:I doubt it. He is probably one of the most immobile quarterbacks out there.

not sure how that really factors in.

The idea that you have to have a wilson-esque backup to be effective is a myth and not nearly as important as having a quality backup that gives you a chance.

I don't see us running the option any more, and more than likely, running it less, than we did at the end of last year.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• We wouldn't trade and pick up his contract and he wouldn't sign for 3 mill to be our backup when starting pays more and he is still s starter.

I predict AZ.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Apparently, he will sign for less to be a backup on a contender. That's what his agent is putting out there. So, I'm not too sure.

He'd be an upgrade over Matt Flynn. I could give a (beep) whether he's mobile (which he actually is...very underrated athlete)...dude slings it.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Hawknballs wrote:
    Natethegreat wrote:I doubt it. He is probably one of the most immobile quarterbacks out there.

not sure how that really factors in.

The idea that you have to have a wilson-esque backup to be effective is a myth and not nearly as important as having a quality backup that gives you a chance.

I don't see us running the option any more, and more than likely, running it less, than we did at the end of last year.

I disagree. This offense is now built around having the threat of a mobile QB. Every defense in the league knows that Palmer is about as mobile as a lamp post. I just don't see that threat going away just because we lost the starting QB. My belief is JS/PC will find a mobile QB in the draft and with RW mentoring him he'll be up to speed fairly quick.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• v1rotv2 wrote:
    I disagree. This offense is now built around having the threat of a mobile QB. Every defense in the league knows that Palmer is about as mobile as a lamp post. I just don't see that threat going away just because we lost the starting QB. My belief is JS/PC will find a mobile QB in the draft and with RW mentoring him he'll be up to speed fairly quick.

So you think we're running the option if Matt Flynn has to play. . .?

With weapons like Lynch, Miller, Rice, Tate, and now Harvin, we don't need a 'mobile threat' to have a good offense, and if we are seriously tailoring our offense around a mobile QB we are setting ourselves up for failure.

More than half the reason Wilson was as 'mobile" as he was last year was because of bad/inconsistent guard play, not design.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• If Wilson ever goes down, we become Marshawn Lynch and the play-action pass. And I think we remain damn effective on offense. I'm down with Palmer. I'm down with Flynn. I'm down with Harvin (who was Minny's third string QB, at times).

Just keep RW healthy, please.
    "Some people here have been groomed to accept mediocrity and lame ducks, I'm on board with the vibrato!" -SouthSoundHawk
    "BFS is kicking ass in here." -kearly (8/9/2013)
    bestfightstory
    * Glitter over Knives *

• bestfightstory wrote:If Wilson ever goes down, we become Marshawn Lynch and the play-action pass. And I think we remain damn effective on offense. I'm down with Palmer. I'm down with Flynn. I'm down with Harvin (who was Minny's third string QB, at times).

Just keep RW healthy, please.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

And Yes....
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• I doubt he would be willing to accept a pure backup role at this point unless he had absolutely no choice, and I think his salary demands will likely be at least Flynn numbers
    Missing_Clink
    NET Veteran

• I'd rather keep Flynn and see Palmer go to Arizona. They'd think they had a viable starting quarterback, and we'd have an immobile target to sack twice a year.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * Natural Rubbing Action *

• I'd prefer Colt McCoy. I think he'd be the perfect back up for DangeRuss.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Seahawk Sailor wrote:I'd rather keep Flynn and see Palmer go to Arizona. They'd think they had a viable starting quarterback, and we'd have an immobile target to sack twice a year.

Not that they'd suddenly rise to playoff caliber, but Carson in Arizona would make them alot better. Carson put up some good numbers on a very undermanned Raiders offense. Give him NFL WR's and good offensive staff?

And, he's more mobile than people give him credit for.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• pehawk wrote:Apparently, he will sign for less to be a backup on a contender. That's what his agent is putting out there. So, I'm not too sure.

He'd be an upgrade over Matt Flynn. I could give a (beep) whether he's mobile (which he actually is...very underrated athlete)...dude slings it.

Without being too antagonistic here...how many Oakland games have you watched over the last two years? Somehow, (outside of the fanbases Palmer plays for) the legend of the old, even halfway decent Carson Palmer remains. While I won't argue that he's an underrated athlete, he's hardly mobile, especially after surgery - can't put the same zip on the ball and threw Oakland out of a ton of games last year. While I suppose we could do worse, if it were up to me, I wouldn't go near Palmer.
    SirTed
    NET Veteran

• I would sign Palmer in a nanosecond to back up Wilson.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• SirTed wrote:
    pehawk wrote:Apparently, he will sign for less to be a backup on a contender. That's what his agent is putting out there. So, I'm not too sure.

Without being too antagonistic here...how many Oakland games have you watched over the last two years? Somehow, (outside of the fanbases Palmer plays for) the legend of the old, even halfway decent Carson Palmer remains. While I won't argue that he's an underrated athlete, he's hardly mobile, especially after surgery - can't put the same zip on the ball and threw Oakland out of a ton of games last year. While I suppose we could do worse, if it were up to me, I wouldn't go near Palmer.

Yeah, he did throw them out of games. And he cant run well anymore. But, he still has enough to buy time in the pocket. Oh, and I NEVER judge a NFL player by their tenure in Oakland. Randy Moss and Charles Woodson advised me not too.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• I'd rather keep Flynn. God forbid RW gets hurt but, if Flynn was to come in and prove himself, that would increase his trade value down the road.
    nepahawk
    NET Starter

• I heard the team would want Tyler Thigpen given his athleticism

I wouldn't want to touch Palmer with a ten foot pole. His best days are long behind him. Would rather keep Flynn honestly.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I really don't want to see Palmer come here, given the chance. He doesn't fit. Personality-wise, or mobility-wise.

Aside from that, this is my favorite comment from that article.
    "I sure was ready to welcome him with open arms to Arizona to QB the Cardinals…

But then I saw that he wanted to come to a winning team

At least we could offer the opportunity to throw to Larry."

:lol:
    Guardian
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:
    v1rotv2 wrote:

So you think we're running the option if Matt Flynn has to play. . .?

With weapons like Lynch, Miller, Rice, Tate, and now Harvin, we don't need a 'mobile threat' to have a good offense, and if we are seriously tailoring our offense around a mobile QB we are setting ourselves up for failure.

More than half the reason Wilson was as 'mobile" as he was last year was because of bad/inconsistent guard play, not design.

Flynn was a goner the minute RW was named the starter. This offense grew from RW's skills not from Flynn's. Flynn is obsolete in this offense. The team is going down a different road from when we got Flynn. At most Flynn is here for one more season and in the mean time a mobile QB will be named the #3 until Flynn is officially gone.

I am not saying that the whole offense is on RW's mobility but that this offense presents a paramount threat that most be accounted for. Obviously you get the ball to the play makers but remember RW is a play maker too. Keeping the linebackers and corners close to the line of scrimmage does wonders for the short and intermediate passing game and you achieve that by having another facet available besides the running backs. By not using a mobile QB from time to time you allow the defense to focus solely on Marshawn or whoever is running the ball.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Hasselbeck wrote:I heard the team would want Tyler Thigpen given his athleticism

I wouldn't want to touch Palmer with a ten foot pole. His best days are long behind him. Would rather keep Flynn honestly.

I have been bouncing Thigpen around for while too. He is athletic enough to run option sometimes, has starting experience...Like it.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Who gave any belief to Carson Palmer coming here???

Jesus
    Getting ready for some football
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• I think it would make more sense to get Pryor as a back up if we were to get a QB. Palmer won't be here. There are too many teams who need a Starting QB for Palmer to sign as a back up. Don't be surprised to see AZ draft Barkley and sign Palmer to give the young former USC QB to learn from the old former USC QB.

"We all we got, we all we need"
    lukerguy
    NET Veteran

• I kind of doubt we will continue running the option if Wilson were out. It has risk and you are looking at your 3rd string if your back up gets hurt.

I'd be surprised if he landed here as I just don't think he would ignore all the money and starting opportunities but I could be wrong. Maybe he just wants to kick back and get a ring while being united with Carroll.
    The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.
    RichNhansom
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:I would sign Palmer in a nanosecond to back up Wilson.

You couldn't even pick up a pen that fast. This post is not based in reality.
    President of the Perfect Parents Society - est. 2013
    JesterHawk
    * Smackmeister *

• JesterHawk wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:I would sign Palmer in a nanosecond to back up Wilson.

You couldn't even pick up a pen that fast. This post is not based in reality.

Shut up, nerd.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• ^ lolol wow
    The Outfield
    NET Veteran

• I'm confused. When did the option become our base offense?
    Rat
    * NET Cynic *

• Rat wrote:I'm confused. When did the option become our base offense?

It's not. but some seem to think seeing it a few times a game makes it our base offense.

As for Palmer, I doubt he would come here since I think he stills has a few solid years left as a starter, and Arizona has many of the tools he could use to be very effective.
    kf3339
    NET Veteran

• Rat wrote:I'm confused. When did the option become our base offense?

people seem to think that russell wilson spent years studying drew brees because of Brees' ability to run the read option.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• I would rather have our backup be somewhat like Russell in that he can run the read-option if need be, don't think Carson can do that.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Hawknballs wrote:
    Rat wrote:I'm confused. When did the option become our base offense?

people seem to think that russell wilson spent years studying drew brees because of Brees' ability to run the read option.

Huh??

What ability?

I'm corn-fused. :Dunno:
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

• exactly.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:exactly.

Precisely
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• Palmer would be a good get if he's dirt cheap. Finding a read option capable QB is very tough this year, anyway.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Palmer to Dallas. I have a source.
    poop
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• kearly wrote:Palmer would be a good get if he's dirt cheap. Finding a read option capable QB is very tough this year, anyway.

That may be true if you didn't have JS as your GM. Yes sir that is correct!
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• People need to stop with this "we need a mobile back-up" nonsense. Yes, having a Russell Wilson clone as his back-up would be ideal, but it's far from necessary. You don't pass on a better QB just because he's less mobile than the next guy. Would you rather have Flynn or Joe Webb in a pinch?

Look at the Redskins. They relied on the read option more than anyone. Yet they still won two games when Cousins had to fill in. He even looked very good doing so.
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• does anyone think russell wilson is getting together with his receivers in the offseason so they can practice blocking for his scrambles?
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Palmer should be arrested for impersonating an NFL QB.
    Having your views challenged is a lot more healthy than simply jabbering on with people who think exactly the same way as you.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• I've actually have watched the Raiders quite a bit because a friend of mine down here in the Bay Area is a long suffering Raiders fan. Palmer has no zip on his ball. He's reasonably accurate but his passes take to long to get to where they need to go. It's one of the reasons why Palmer seemed to throw a lot of red zone interceptions. I'd pass.
    Last edited by rigelian on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    rigelian
    NET Starter

• rigelian wrote:I've actually have watched the Raiders quote a bit be a useful a friend down here in the Bay Area is a long suffering Raiders fan. Palmer has no zip on his ball. He's reasonably accurate but his passes take to long to get to where they need to go. It's one of the reasons why Palmer seemed to throw a lot of red zone interceptions. I'd pass.

Knock it off! This is a Seahawks.Net QB thread. Please refrain from actual analysis or specifics. PLEASE! We're trying to run a board here.

Base you're opinion off of; Madden, Bleacher Report, generalities loosely based on race, and/or scottemojospettingzoo.seahawks.uk articles.
    pehawk
    * Report Button *

• Carson Palmer is TERRIBLE. Has been for years now. I want zero part of him, for any price. There are literally dozens of QB's I would rather have. the guy is a turnover machine. Hasn't been the same since the knee. He's got Brock Huard syndrome bad. Punch-drunk has-been. Anybody still singing his praises hasn't seen him play in years.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• pehawk wrote:
    rigelian wrote:I've actually have watched the Raiders quote a bit be a useful a friend down here in the Bay Area is a long suffering Raiders fan. Palmer has no zip on his ball. He's reasonably accurate but his passes take to long to get to where they need to go. It's one of the reasons why Palmer seemed to throw a lot of red zone interceptions. I'd pass.

Knock it off! This is a Seahawks.Net QB thread. Please refrain from actual analysis or specifics. PLEASE! We're trying to run a board here.

Base you're opinion off of; Madden, Bleacher Report, generalities loosely based on race, and/or scottemojospettingzoo.seahawks.uk articles.

Stalker.
    Palmer never got the elbow fixed, maybe that is the problem.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• how about trading Flynn to the Raiders then go get colt mcCoy from the browns he is available and may be a better fit for the hawks
    osprey3263
    NET Bench Warmer

• I don't know if Palmer has any game left, but I like the idea of a veteran backup qb to help Wilson develop to an even higher level. A qb in the draft obviously doesn't give you that. An aging veteran in the Hasselbeck mould would be ideal imo.
    "Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hmm? Hmm. And well you should not." - Yoda
    WarHawks
    NET Practice Squad

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:Palmer to Dallas. I have a source.

I have that same source, and he specifically told me "Penis to Dallas." So I think you misheard :snack:
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Palmer would be pretty expensive and I think it's about time we had a backup best known for his ability to wear a cap and hold a clipboard after Whitehurst/Flynn.

Count me in the Tyler Thigpen camp. Draft a rookie. Let them battle it out for the backup gig.
    theENGLISHseahawk
    NET Veteran

• If you are looking for a Athletic, Mobile 5'11" Back up QB, Seneca Wallace is looking for work.
    DynoHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information