If we trade Flynn, does Carson Palmer come here?

Hawknballs

Reaction score
pretty sure he'd take the money and the starting opportunity at arizona first, unless he is 100% in the hasselbeck realm of resignation at being a better backup.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I doubt it. He is probably one of the most immobile quarterbacks out there.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Natethegreat":1cuejmvr said:

not sure how that really factors in.

The idea that you have to have a wilson-esque backup to be effective is a myth and not nearly as important as having a quality backup that gives you a chance.

I don't see us running the option any more, and more than likely, running it less, than we did at the end of last year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
We wouldn't trade and pick up his contract and he wouldn't sign for 3 mill to be our backup when starting pays more and he is still s starter.

I predict AZ.

pehawk

Reaction score
Apparently, he will sign for less to be a backup on a contender. That's what his agent is putting out there. So, I'm not too sure.

He'd be an upgrade over Matt Flynn. I could give a (beep) whether he's mobile (which he actually is...very underrated athlete)...dude slings it.

v1rotv2

Reaction score
Hawknballs":lyt48uex said:
Natethegreat":lyt48uex said:

not sure how that really factors in.

The idea that you have to have a wilson-esque backup to be effective is a myth and not nearly as important as having a quality backup that gives you a chance.

I don't see us running the option any more, and more than likely, running it less, than we did at the end of last year.

I disagree. This offense is now built around having the threat of a mobile QB. Every defense in the league knows that Palmer is about as mobile as a lamp post. I just don't see that threat going away just because we lost the starting QB. My belief is JS/PC will find a mobile QB in the draft and with RW mentoring him he'll be up to speed fairly quick.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
v1rotv2":2sxmm6wo said:
I disagree. This offense is now built around having the threat of a mobile QB. Every defense in the league knows that Palmer is about as mobile as a lamp post. I just don't see that threat going away just because we lost the starting QB. My belief is JS/PC will find a mobile QB in the draft and with RW mentoring him he'll be up to speed fairly quick.

So you think we're running the option if Matt Flynn has to play. . .?

With weapons like Lynch, Miller, Rice, Tate, and now Harvin, we don't need a 'mobile threat' to have a good offense, and if we are seriously tailoring our offense around a mobile QB we are setting ourselves up for failure.

More than half the reason Wilson was as 'mobile" as he was last year was because of bad/inconsistent guard play, not design.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
If Wilson ever goes down, we become Marshawn Lynch and the play-action pass. And I think we remain damn effective on offense. I'm down with Palmer. I'm down with Flynn. I'm down with Harvin (who was Minny's third string QB, at times).

Just keep RW healthy, please.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3aj87ueo said:
If Wilson ever goes down, we become Marshawn Lynch and the play-action pass. And I think we remain damn effective on offense. I'm down with Palmer. I'm down with Flynn. I'm down with Harvin (who was Minny's third string QB, at times).

Just keep RW healthy, please.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.

And Yes....

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I doubt he would be willing to accept a pure backup role at this point unless he had absolutely no choice, and I think his salary demands will likely be at least Flynn numbers

pehawk

Reaction score
Seahawk Sailor":3815zo9e said:
I'd rather keep Flynn and see Palmer go to Arizona. They'd think they had a viable starting quarterback, and we'd have an immobile target to sack twice a year.

Not that they'd suddenly rise to playoff caliber, but Carson in Arizona would make them alot better. Carson put up some good numbers on a very undermanned Raiders offense. Give him NFL WR's and good offensive staff?

And, he's more mobile than people give him credit for.

SirTed

Reaction score
pehawk":3nre7q6u said:
Apparently, he will sign for less to be a backup on a contender. That's what his agent is putting out there. So, I'm not too sure.

He'd be an upgrade over Matt Flynn. I could give a (beep) whether he's mobile (which he actually is...very underrated athlete)...dude slings it.

Without being too antagonistic here...how many Oakland games have you watched over the last two years? Somehow, (outside of the fanbases Palmer plays for) the legend of the old, even halfway decent Carson Palmer remains. While I won't argue that he's an underrated athlete, he's hardly mobile, especially after surgery - can't put the same zip on the ball and threw Oakland out of a ton of games last year. While I suppose we could do worse, if it were up to me, I wouldn't go near Palmer.

pehawk

Reaction score
SirTed":151zjmb6 said:
pehawk":151zjmb6 said:

Without being too antagonistic here...how many Oakland games have you watched over the last two years? Somehow, (outside of the fanbases Palmer plays for) the legend of the old, even halfway decent Carson Palmer remains. While I won't argue that he's an underrated athlete, he's hardly mobile, especially after surgery - can't put the same zip on the ball and threw Oakland out of a ton of games last year. While I suppose we could do worse, if it were up to me, I wouldn't go near Palmer.

Yeah, he did throw them out of games. And he cant run well anymore. But, he still has enough to buy time in the pocket. Oh, and I NEVER judge a NFL player by their tenure in Oakland. Randy Moss and Charles Woodson advised me not too.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I heard the team would want Tyler Thigpen given his athleticism

I wouldn't want to touch Palmer with a ten foot pole. His best days are long behind him. Would rather keep Flynn honestly.

Guardian

Reaction score
I really don't want to see Palmer come here, given the chance. He doesn't fit. Personality-wise, or mobility-wise.

Aside from that, this is my favorite comment from that article.
"I sure was ready to welcome him with open arms to Arizona to QB the Cardinals…

But then I saw that he wanted to come to a winning team

At least we could offer the opportunity to throw to Larry."
:lol: