EDIT: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate....

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • Let him dedicate a ton of his defense to stopping the read option, that just opens up more of the playbook elsewhere. Defenses so obsessed with one faction of an offense tend to get bit in the ass by something they never saw coming.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    User avatar
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3395
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:32 am
    Location: The Open Road


  • AgentDib wrote:I guess as long as you link an article you can pretend it says whatever you want and nobody will bother to check?

    Pete Carroll may have said the exact same thing as Tomlin did if asked. Of course defensive minded head coaches want to figure out how to stop the read option. The only difference is then everybody would be talking about how wise Pete is rather than how lame another head coach is.


    Tomlin said he was going to "eliminate the read option." That is boastful and imaho, ignorant. I think it's here to stay and will become one of many variations on the offense. It may not always be a significant part of an offense, out certainly isn't for the Seahawks.

    And I agree with the poster above, Tomlin inherited a Superbowl contender with an elite defense. He stool has a lot to prove.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    User avatar
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *
     
    Posts: 8967
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:29 pm
    Location: North Pole, Alaska


  • razor150 wrote:Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

    IMO, the read option is a great wrinkle to add to your offense during a game, but it is an option that if relied to heavily on is going to get your QB hurt. Defenses will adjust to it just like they did for the Wildcat, so it is better not to make it a staple of your offense anyways.

    According to the original poster that must mean I want Wilson cut.


    It's not that simple. Comparing the Wildcat to the read option doesn't wash. You can't just say "defenses will adjust" in a vacuum...because they still need to have the right kind of players to implement the adjustment. That's more important than schematically designing something.

    And FYI, it's not like defenses didn't try to adjust or plan for it from about the midpoint of last season. They had plenty of film and chances to stop it, and we still steamrolled teams for it. The Rams were definitely the best at defending it down the stretch, and they have the right kind of defense for it.

    However, our version of the read option will evolve and take a new shape with Harvin in the mix. If teams spend so much time and energy worrying about the read option, we will kill them with other facets of our offense.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7543
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


  • Comments like that will just fuel the blazing inferno that is Russell Wilson!!
    "We’re gonna reach down, grab grass, and go hat on hat.” - Chuck Knox
    User avatar
    StenoHawk
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 19
    Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:10 am
    Location: Long Island, NY


  • Tomlin isn't wrong. There will probably never be a time when more than a handful of guys can run a good option/pistol look.

    We faced it three times last year and our defense killed it. The template for stopping it is already out there.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11687
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • FlyingGreg wrote:
    razor150 wrote:Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

    IMO, the read option is a great wrinkle to add to your offense during a game, but it is an option that if relied to heavily on is going to get your QB hurt. Defenses will adjust to it just like they did for the Wildcat, so it is better not to make it a staple of your offense anyways.

    According to the original poster that must mean I want Wilson cut.


    It's not that simple. Comparing the Wildcat to the read option doesn't wash. You can't just say "defenses will adjust" in a vacuum...because they still need to have the right kind of players to implement the adjustment. That's more important than schematically designing something.

    And FYI, it's not like defenses didn't try to adjust or plan for it from about the midpoint of last season. They had plenty of film and chances to stop it, and we still steamrolled teams for it. The Rams were definitely the best at defending it down the stretch, and they have the right kind of defense for it.

    However, our version of the read option will evolve and take a new shape with Harvin in the mix. If teams spend so much time and energy worrying about the read option, we will kill them with other facets of our offense.


    The Miami Dolphins got into the playoffs and had a great record all because of the Wildcat. It wasn't as if the teams the Dolphins beat weren't trying to stop it either. I will freely admit this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, but the comparison isn't that outlandish either. We still see versions of the Wildcat in offenses today, which will be the read options future. IMO, the Redskins were last years Dolphins.

    The Rams were the best at defending it likely because they faced the 3 teams that used it, which gave them more experience defending it then anybody else. Defensive Coordinators through out the league right now are watching game film to see what worked and what didn't, with the Rams being required viewing material.
    User avatar
    razor150
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1854
    Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:22 am


  • AgentDib wrote:I guess as long as you link an article you can pretend it says whatever you want and nobody will bother to check?


    Thank you, was going to post the same thing, he said nothing of the sort, he doesn't want to eliminate Russ, nor teams that use it, just the concept itself as he doesn't believe it has staying power. Maybe fix the title broskie ;)
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

    "Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

    "When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    User avatar
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 650
    Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:40 am
    Location: Ireland!


  • OH well, let him try and stop Russell. Russell is way more than just a runner thats for sure.
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 11269
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


  • Tomlin knows he cant stop it....
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 816
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 11:27 pm


  • razor150 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    razor150 wrote:Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

    IMO, the read option is a great wrinkle to add to your offense during a game, but it is an option that if relied to heavily on is going to get your QB hurt. Defenses will adjust to it just like they did for the Wildcat, so it is better not to make it a staple of your offense anyways.

    According to the original poster that must mean I want Wilson cut.


    It's not that simple. Comparing the Wildcat to the read option doesn't wash. You can't just say "defenses will adjust" in a vacuum...because they still need to have the right kind of players to implement the adjustment. That's more important than schematically designing something.

    And FYI, it's not like defenses didn't try to adjust or plan for it from about the midpoint of last season. They had plenty of film and chances to stop it, and we still steamrolled teams for it. The Rams were definitely the best at defending it down the stretch, and they have the right kind of defense for it.

    However, our version of the read option will evolve and take a new shape with Harvin in the mix. If teams spend so much time and energy worrying about the read option, we will kill them with other facets of our offense.


    The Miami Dolphins got into the playoffs and had a great record all because of the Wildcat. It wasn't as if the teams the Dolphins beat weren't trying to stop it either. I will freely admit this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, but the comparison isn't that outlandish either. We still see versions of the Wildcat in offenses today, which will be the read options future. IMO, the Redskins were last years Dolphins.

    The Rams were the best at defending it likely because they faced the 3 teams that used it, which gave them more experience defending it then anybody else. Defensive Coordinators through out the league right now are watching game film to see what worked and what didn't, with the Rams being required viewing material.


    ...and we will roll out wrinkles and variations from the way we ran it last season as well.

    Our offensive flexibility is key. We can pound the rock, throw short, throw deep, feature the tight end, move Harvin all over the place to create formation mismatches, throw screens...we can run the pistol and read option...and you always have to account for our QB on every snap.

    IMO, our offense creates too many problems to be shut down or "figured out".
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7543
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


  • The read option can be COMPLETELY eliminated

    Just a shame that you will be giving up a lot of passing yards in those games...............

    Everything can be game planned for but it comes at a cost. The read option w pistol setup offense has all the options of a regular offense plus running the qb. You eliminate running the qb at a cost and that is enough to keep the read option there even if you never run the qb because you just bought something....

    Carolina will be super dangerous this year - just wait and watch. I am (hypothetically of course) putting money on them winning their division. They will be all out committed to read option this year and Cam is going to have a field day down there
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3733
    Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:24 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • Largent80 wrote:All the Mexicans are saying Idiota.

    LMFAO!

    I'm pretty sure your comment flew right over their heads too.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4882
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • I always thought it was a little gimmicky too. The reason I am OK with us running it is because it's a wrinkle, not the focus.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    User avatar
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5018
    Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:40 am
    Location: Southern CA


  • twisted_steel2 wrote:Side story, I'm waiting for the light rail this morning. Guy was there in full Stealer gear, with a James Harrison jersey, James Harrison??? In addition to the jeans around his knees and the hat barely sitting on his head and tilted sideways.

    Why is it when I see Stealer fans they're always D-bags? I took a pic, I should upload it.

    Image



    every time i see a steelers fan in a jersey or with a sticker on their car or some dumb hat I just automatically assume they are a bad person.
    Image
    User avatar
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2880
    Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:51 am


  • This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

    Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

    Well played sir. Well played.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4882
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • Shaz wrote:Thread title is seriously misleading

    Other QB's run the Read Option

    Tomlin didn't specifically single out any QB

    He's stating that he wants to be the one to stop the Read Option, it's not a knock on Wilson

    Seriously misleading?
    You mean to tell us that Russell doesn't run the "Read Option" ?, um, okay.
    Just like Worthlisbuger doesn't run around to buy time, or runs with the ball himself to get first/touch downs either.
    Tomlin is talking out his rectal orfice.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3799
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • SalishHawkFan wrote:This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

    Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

    Well played sir. Well played.


    What? The title of the article is "Russell Wilson: Mobile QBs add new dimension to NFL"

    The first 3 lines read:

    Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the read-option offense the "flavor of the day" in the NFL. He doesn't believe it will have lasting success in the NFL.

    "We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

    Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks didn't lean on the read-option until late last season, but they were very effective when they broke it out.


    Tomlin might not have said the exact quote "I want to eliminate Russell Wilson", but it's hardly a reach by the OP to suggest it considering the context of the article. The OP has just parroted the words of Gregg Rosenthal
    Last edited by themunn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2566
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • SalishHawkFan wrote:This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

    Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

    Well played sir. Well played.

    You should probably click the link in the OP again. Then read the article's title. Then read the article. Wilson is mentioned.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11687
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • razor150 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    razor150 wrote:Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

    IMO, the read option is a great wrinkle to add to your offense during a game, but it is an option that if relied to heavily on is going to get your QB hurt. Defenses will adjust to it just like they did for the Wildcat, so it is better not to make it a staple of your offense anyways.

    According to the original poster that must mean I want Wilson cut.


    It's not that simple. Comparing the Wildcat to the read option doesn't wash. You can't just say "defenses will adjust" in a vacuum...because they still need to have the right kind of players to implement the adjustment. That's more important than schematically designing something.

    And FYI, it's not like defenses didn't try to adjust or plan for it from about the midpoint of last season. They had plenty of film and chances to stop it, and we still steamrolled teams for it. The Rams were definitely the best at defending it down the stretch, and they have the right kind of defense for it.

    However, our version of the read option will evolve and take a new shape with Harvin in the mix. If teams spend so much time and energy worrying about the read option, we will kill them with other facets of our offense.


    The Miami Dolphins got into the playoffs and had a great record all because of the Wildcat. It wasn't as if the teams the Dolphins beat weren't trying to stop it either. I will freely admit this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, but the comparison isn't that outlandish either. We still see versions of the Wildcat in offenses today, which will be the read options future. IMO, the Redskins were last years Dolphins.

    The Rams were the best at defending it likely because they faced the 3 teams that used it, which gave them more experience defending it then anybody else. Defensive Coordinators through out the league right now are watching game film to see what worked and what didn't, with the Rams being required viewing material.

    True, but then the Rams only partially figgured out a way to slow it down for awhile, and then Bevel/RW just dialed up a couple more options, and the Rams came up empty again.
    Having Harvin in the mix now, will open up a whole new can of worms to account for in the Seahawks RO.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3799
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • themunn wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

    Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

    Well played sir. Well played.


    What? The title of the article is "Russell Wilson: Mobile QBs add new dimension to NFL"

    The first 3 lines read:

    Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the read-option offense the "flavor of the day" in the NFL. He doesn't believe it will have lasting success in the NFL.

    "We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

    Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks didn't lean on the read-option until late last season, but they were very effective when they broke it out.


    Tomlin might not have said the exact quote "I want to eliminate Russell Wilson", but it's hardly a reach by the OP to suggest it considering the context of the article. The OP has just parroted the words of Gregg Rosenthal

    The title of THIS thread is: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson....

    Tomlin is only talking about eliminating the read option. Rosenthal, not Tomlin, uses Russell Wilson as an example. It is Rosenthal who is equating the read option with Russell Wilson.

    Everyone on here is getting all worked up at Tomlin as if he said he was going to eliminate Russell Wilson.

    You all are acting with knee jerk reactions to the title of the thread. The title of the thread is misleading. The article by Rosenthal is about Tomlin stopping the read option, not eliminating russell wilson.

    Let's look at those first three lines. This is how Bush led our country into war with Iraq, by talking about Saddam and Iraq, then throwing in something totally extraneous about the threat of nuclear war, etc. All the while saying he never actually said Iraq had WMD's.

    Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the read-option offense the "flavor of the day" in the NFL. He doesn't believe it will have lasting success in the NFL.

    "We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

    Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks didn't lean on the read-option until late last season, but they were very effective when they broke it out.


    It's a game of "which one doesn't belong?". I bolded the sentence that has no logic structure with the rest of the sentences. In the first two, Tomlin is discussing the READ OPTION. In the last sentence, Rosenthal is discussing RUSSELL WILSON. The result? Idiots equating Tomlin stopping the read option with Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson.

    It infers that Russell Wilson's entire game IS the read option.

    As I said, well played OP, well played.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4882
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • Russell Wilson DOES run the RO at times, so Tomlin was refering to ANY and ALL teams that utilize it, INCLUDING Russell Wilson, and the Seahawks.
    Pretty obvious to me that, that was his intention/insinuation of this particular matter.
    Some of Y'all do understand, that way back when, Football was primarily played almost exclusively by RUNNING the ball, and that throwing the ball was rare as hens teeth.
    So when the passing sensation (new option) was added, it forever changed how Defenses had to adapt, or fall hopelessly behind because of the new trend spreading like a wild fire.
    The RO is just one more facet of the game, that forces Defenses to re-calibrate, and re-adjust for, and RW will use it to his advantage as he perfects some of the mental elements of what makes it work, and he'll throw out the elements of the option that don't.
    It isn't just about tucking the ball and running willy nilly (old school)
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3799
    Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:48 pm


  • This is getting ridiculous. Everybody just STOP, click on the link, read it, then make a comment.

    For those of you who still refuse to read it, I'll summarize:

    Tomlin: "I don't like the read option. I think it's a fad, and I want my defense to stop it from ever being effective in the NFL again."
    Wilson: "Try."
    Image
    User avatar
    Guardian
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1233
    Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:51 am
    Location: Minneapolis, MN


  • peachesenregalia wrote:Mike Tomlin can feast on a thousand dicks.


    Ditto, but that applies to all Stealers, owners, employees and or their fans.
    User avatar
    garrylt4
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 115
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 6:19 pm


  • Why are you guys getting so worked up about it? If people want to make that connection from Tomlin's comments to Wilson, who cares...
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    User avatar
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5548
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:41 am
    Location: Ballard


  • peachesenregalia wrote:Mike Tomlin can feast on a thousand dicks.



    I think he's up for the challenge
    Image


    PS: sorry for the shitty PS (on Work PC)
    I Bleed Blue/Green/White
    Seattle Seahawks/Vancouver Canucks
    Always tuned into Covino & Rich (Sirius XM 104 - 9AM - 1 PM)
    User avatar
    seahawkcanuck
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 11
    Joined: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:45 am


  • Wow. I had no idea popcorn and beer could be so satisfying in the morning/afternoon :snack: .

    Didn't mean to twist panties, just was trying to honestly link to a article with ties to our team. Soo glad a few of you actually took time to click the link and read the article before replying.
    Image
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    User avatar
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 685
    Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:22 am


  • This is non news.

    I'm pretty sure every coach wants to eliminate every offense they face.
    Image
    User avatar
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 18708
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
    Location: Milwaukie, Oregon


  • Scottemojo wrote:Tomlin isn't wrong. There will probably never be a time when more than a handful of guys can run a good option/pistol look.

    We faced it three times last year and our defense killed it. The template for stopping it is already out there.


    Everything you said is factual, but I disagree slightly for a couple reasons. Maybe disagree is too strong a word. Maybe "augmenting the argument" would work better.

    #1: Yes, Seattle did stop read option quarterbacks very well last year. However, they did so with a defense that features some very rare athlete types- their linebacker group top to bottom would be among the fastest group of linebackers in this draft. There are only a few linebackers every year that come out with the kind of speed we have. We also have a secondary that is very hard to replicate and is highly dependent on Carroll's incredible player development ability. So yes, if you build a #1 scoring defense with some hard to find parts, you can stop it. But that's not saying much for the rest of the NFL. And FWIW, I am not sure we contain a healthy RG3. When he's 100% he's very hard to stop as a passer but the injury just became too much for him.

    #2: Even Seattle would probably have a very tough time stopping a QB like Russell Wilson out of the read option. Imagine if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were capable of read option- imagine how much of a nightmare that would be to defend. Kaepernick/Newton/RG3 all have great arm talent and are good passers, but Wilson is a complete quarterback that becomes far more deadly with the read option wrinkle. Then you factor the weapons that Wilson has- I say good luck to opposing DCs.

    I don't think the NFL will ever really solve read option. They will probably solve QBs that use read option like a crutch (Kaepernick), but I think RG3, Newton, and especially Wilson will threaten so much as passers that at the end of the day it will just be one more way of offenses opening up in the running game and adding space in the passing attack. You are completely right that these kinds of QBs are very rare, but the teams that have them- this is going to be a big advantage in the long haul because of how it adds an extra responsibility and burden to defenses while simultaneously adding an additional threat on offense.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11416
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • The reason the Wildcat got solved quickly was because teams figured out that there was a low percentage of completing a pass from that formation and overloaded the box.

    The new read option isn't so easy to combat. You can't stack the box against Wilson, Newton, RG3, or Kaepernick without getting burned. Solving the read option in the NFL defensively means winning the numbers game against the read option, and it is near impossible to do so against a good pocket passer with elite speed.

    You can run your whole offensive playbook out of read option formations. It's not as simple as overloading the box, and therefore won't go away as easily as the wildcat. The reason Seattle did so well defending it, is our unique personell on the defense make it easier to be flexible than other teams, and they had one of the perfect prototypes in Russell Wilson to practice against.

    Seattle can regularly run an 8 man box because ET, Sherm, and Browner can shut down a passing game so effectively on their lonesome. No team can run single high as efficiently IMO.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    User avatar
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 757
    Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am


  • kearly wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Tomlin isn't wrong. There will probably never be a time when more than a handful of guys can run a good option/pistol look.

    We faced it three times last year and our defense killed it. The template for stopping it is already out there.


    Everything you said is factual, but I disagree slightly for a couple reasons. Maybe disagree is too strong a word. Maybe "augmenting the argument" would work better.

    #1: Yes, Seattle did stop read option quarterbacks very well last year. However, they did so with a defense that features some very rare athlete types- their linebacker group top to bottom would be among the fastest group of linebackers in this draft. There are only a few linebackers every year that come out with the kind of speed we have. We also have a secondary that is very hard to replicate and is highly dependent on Carroll's incredible player development ability. So yes, if you build a #1 scoring defense with some hard to find parts, you can stop it. But that's not saying much for the rest of the NFL. And FWIW, I am not sure we contain a healthy RG3. When he's 100% he's very hard to stop as a passer but the injury just became too much for him.

    #2: Even Seattle would probably have a very tough time stopping a QB like Russell Wilson out of the read option. Imagine if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were capable of read option- imagine how much of a nightmare that would be to defend. Kaepernick/Newton/RG3 all have great arm talent and are good passers, but Wilson is a complete quarterback that becomes far more deadly with the read option wrinkle. Then you factor the weapons that Wilson has- I say good luck to opposing DCs.

    I don't think the NFL will ever really solve read option. They will probably solve QBs that use read option like a crutch (Kaepernick), but I think RG3, Newton, and especially Wilson will threaten so much as passers that at the end of the day it will just be one more way of offenses opening up in the running game and adding space in the passing attack. You are completely right that these kinds of QBs are very rare, but the teams that have them- this is going to be a big advantage in the long haul because of how it adds an extra responsibility and burden to defenses while simultaneously adding an additional threat on offense.

    Already, 2 defenses are going to try and replicate Seattle, Jacksonville and Dallas. Our unique player profile is the future. Will they be successful? Anybodies guess.

    2nd, ours is not the only way to stop it. My guess is that Tomlin would stop it the same way a slowish defense like the Ravens did: just hit the QB everytime he runs the option, and make the refs protect the QB.

    My guess is more teams will do the 2nd option.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11687
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:2nd, ours is not the only way to stop it. My guess is that Tomlin would stop it the same way a slowish defense like the Ravens did: just hit the QB everytime he runs the option, and make the refs protect the QB.

    My guess is more teams will do the 2nd option.


    Dangerous because the superbowl was under officiated simply because it was the superbowl.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    User avatar
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 757
    Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am


  • Lady Talon wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:2nd, ours is not the only way to stop it. My guess is that Tomlin would stop it the same way a slowish defense like the Ravens did: just hit the QB everytime he runs the option, and make the refs protect the QB.

    My guess is more teams will do the 2nd option.


    Dangerous because the superbowl was under officiated simply because it was the superbowl.


    Also dangerous for the QB who runs the pistol option. 15 yards is a small price to pay to either remove a playcall from the opponents call sheet or remove their QB from the game.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11687
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:2nd, ours is not the only way to stop it. My guess is that Tomlin would stop it the same way a slowish defense like the Ravens did: just hit the QB everytime he runs the option, and make the refs protect the QB.

    My guess is more teams will do the 2nd option.


    Dangerous because the superbowl was under officiated simply because it was the superbowl.


    Also dangerous for the QB who runs the pistol option. 15 yards is a small price to pay to either remove a playcall from the opponents call sheet or remove their QB from the game.


    He doesn't run it full time, and is smarter with his body then the other 3 option runners. He could just as easily get blindsided and crushed in the pocket out of a standard offense. Kaepernick one reads way to often, and Gore's effectiveness out of the pistol isn't Lynch's (or what we expect Harvin's will be) either.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    User avatar
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 757
    Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am


  • Lady Talon wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:
    Lady Talon wrote:Dangerous because the superbowl was under officiated simply because it was the superbowl.


    Also dangerous for the QB who runs the pistol option. 15 yards is a small price to pay to either remove a playcall from the opponents call sheet or remove their QB from the game.


    He doesn't run it full time, and is smarter with his body then the other 3 option runners. He could just as easily get blindsided and crushed in the pocket out of a standard offense. Kaepernick one reads way to often, and Gore's effectiveness out of the pistol isn't Lynch's (or what we expect Harvin's will be) either.

    Agreed. I'm just telling you what I think is going to happen. I like the pistol offense we run, and I don't think it's a fad like the wildcat. It presents real mismatch opportunities. But I also think some defensive coordinators are going to attack it at the source. The QB.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 11687
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • SalishHawkFan wrote:
    themunn wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

    Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

    Well played sir. Well played.


    What? The title of the article is "Russell Wilson: Mobile QBs add new dimension to NFL"

    The first 3 lines read:

    Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the read-option offense the "flavor of the day" in the NFL. He doesn't believe it will have lasting success in the NFL.

    "We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

    Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks didn't lean on the read-option until late last season, but they were very effective when they broke it out.


    Tomlin might not have said the exact quote "I want to eliminate Russell Wilson", but it's hardly a reach by the OP to suggest it considering the context of the article. The OP has just parroted the words of Gregg Rosenthal

    The title of THIS thread is: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson....

    Tomlin is only talking about eliminating the read option. Rosenthal, not Tomlin, uses Russell Wilson as an example. It is Rosenthal who is equating the read option with Russell Wilson.

    Everyone on here is getting all worked up at Tomlin as if he said he was going to eliminate Russell Wilson.

    You all are acting with knee jerk reactions to the title of the thread. The title of the thread is misleading. The article by Rosenthal is about Tomlin stopping the read option, not eliminating russell wilson.

    Let's look at those first three lines. This is how Bush led our country into war with Iraq, by talking about Saddam and Iraq, then throwing in something totally extraneous about the threat of nuclear war, etc. All the while saying he never actually said Iraq had WMD's.



    Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin.


    "Russell" and "Wilson" are the very first two words in the article title, let alone in the actual article.. What Tomlin said is irrelevant right now. You accused the OP of linking to an article that doesn't MENTION Russell Wilson (those are your exact words quoted above), when it's quite clear he's linked to an article digesting Tomlin's quotes and applying them to Russell Wilson.
    The only thing the OP has suggested himself is that Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson. And that's not wrong.
    If Richard Sherman said he thought the Hawks will win every game next year (hardly a reach considering his confidence) and on one of the niner boards someone said "Sherman thinks the Seahawks will sweep the Niners" it wouldn't be a misquote. It's simply a smaller part of a greater whole,
    Now if you said "the OP linked to an OPINION piece that suggests Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson, good show OP", maybe then I wouldn't have said anything.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2566
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • I just want to eliminate Tomlin and his Steelers. This will be the first time in my football history that I actually root for Pittsburgh to reach the SB.

    Payback: This time it's fo' real!
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6288
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • I'm with Hawkwow. I really want to crush the Stealers this year. And I mean physically crush them, crush their spirit, and make them cry to the NFL like Jerry Jones and Harbaugh did last year.

    I'm also with the other posters on this: this really affects the Hawks less than other R/O teams because we only use it as an aspect of our offense, not our total offense.

    I'd also like to see Tomlin stop a really good R/O team with his current aging and slow defense. His DE's are getting too slow to stop a really athletic QB and I think a good R/O team would rip up the Stealers next year.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3899
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • Hawks46 wrote:I'm with Hawkwow. I really want to crush the Stealers this year. And I mean physically crush them, crush their spirit, and make them cry to the NFL like Jerry Jones and Harbaugh did last year.

    I'm also with the other posters on this: this really affects the Hawks less than other R/O teams because we only use it as an aspect of our offense, not our total offense.

    I'd also like to see Tomlin stop a really good R/O team with his current aging and slow defense. His DE's are getting too slow to stop a really athletic QB and I think a good R/O team would rip up the Stealers next year.


    Totally. They are beginning that downward spiral and it will likely be quite some time before they return as legit contenders. If they were smart, they'd start gearing up for that now. Get rid of the rapist, Troy, etc. and start grooming the next wave. I think Denver will dominate the AFC (until Peyton bails) but I'm not counting out NE and certainly not Baltimore just yet. The reports of the Ravens demise has been grossly exaggerated. They may be even better this year.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6288
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • Stealers will be irrelevant for the near future, his defense won't be stopping anyone anyhow, non issue!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12193
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • I read his words as: "If my QB wasn't so tall, fat, and dumb, I would be doing this too..."
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

    He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    User avatar
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 5741
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 am
    Location: Back in Seattle


  • SmokinHawk wrote:I read his words as: "If my QB wasn't so tall, fat, and dumb, I would be doing this too..."



    Best post in this thread.
    User avatar
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6288
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • SmokinHawk wrote:I read his words as: "If my QB wasn't so tall, fat, and dumb, I would be doing this too..."

    Bingo!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

    May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12193
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • Scottemojo wrote:Already, 2 defenses are going to try and replicate Seattle, Jacksonville and Dallas. Our unique player profile is the future. Will they be successful? Anybodies guess.

    2nd, ours is not the only way to stop it. My guess is that Tomlin would stop it the same way a slowish defense like the Ravens did: just hit the QB everytime he runs the option, and make the refs protect the QB.

    My guess is more teams will do the 2nd option.


    I think that is very well what might happen, but I don't think it will work. Sure, RG3 is made of glass. But Wilson takes few hits and when he does, he always seems to avoid the worst of it. Newton and Kaepernick are nearly comparable to Megatron in terms of size/speed but at quarterback. You could smack Kaepernick and then watch him run for a 60 yard TD a few plays later if your defense isn't fast enough. I didn't watch a ton of Calorina/49ers games, but I don't really remember either of those guys ever being shaken up from a hit and playing scared afterwards.

    As far as Dallas and Jacksonville, they are both a long, long ways away. I think the next team that will stop the read option might be Chicago if they replace their old veteran LBs with young, quick ones. Perhaps the Rams as well- they seemed to have Seattle contained decently well in that week 17 game. Bottom line, I don't think we'll ever see more than 5-10 defenses in the league that can consistently contain it. The reason Seattle can stop it is mostly because they have the most talented defense in the NFL.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11416
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • themunn wrote:

    "Russell" and "Wilson" are the very first two words in the article title, let alone in the actual article.. What Tomlin said is irrelevant right now. You accused the OP of linking to an article that doesn't MENTION Russell Wilson (those are your exact words quoted above), when it's quite clear he's linked to an article digesting Tomlin's quotes and applying them to Russell Wilson.
    The only thing the OP has suggested himself is that Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson. And that's not wrong.
    If Richard Sherman said he thought the Hawks will win every game next year (hardly a reach considering his confidence) and on one of the niner boards someone said "Sherman thinks the Seahawks will sweep the Niners" it wouldn't be a misquote. It's simply a smaller part of a greater whole,
    Now if you said "the OP linked to an OPINION piece that suggests Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson, good show OP", maybe then I wouldn't have said anything.

    My bad, what I meant wasn't never came up in the article, I meant never came up in the interview. Typo there. Wilson never came up in the discussion with Tomlin.

    And no, that does NOT equate to eliminating Russell Wilson, your analogy with going undefeated is not legitimate, as undefeated results in a sweep. Eliminating the Read Option does not result in eliminating Russell Wilson. Read Option is but a small facet of what he does.

    Anyways, I got a big kick out of this thread. So many people getting all puffed up and out of joint defending RW.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4882
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • themunn wrote:My bad, what I meant wasn't never came up in the article, I meant never came up in the interview. Typo there. Wilson never came up in the discussion with Tomlin.

    And no, that does NOT equate to eliminating Russell Wilson, your analogy with going undefeated is not legitimate, as undefeated results in a sweep. Eliminating the Read Option does not result in eliminating Russell Wilson. Read Option is but a small facet of what he does.

    Anyways, I got a big kick out of this thread. So many people getting all puffed up and out of joint defending RW.


    Oops, my apologies for jumping on a typo then (which was never my intention!), it just came across as if you hadn't bothered to click on the article.

    And that's a far better worded point, which I agree with totally. Wilson didn't start implementing the read-option stuff properly until the Chicago game - he was 1 incomplete pass from tying the franchise record for consecutive complete passes just 1 week earlier in his rookie season, set by a Hall of Famer with 20 years of experience in professional football.

    I guess the misunderstanding comes from what we believe Tomlin/Rosenthal/the OP mean by eliminate. I would consider taking away the read option as making Wilson "1 dimensional", which is pretty muh the best defenses can hope for. The problem for them is that he's still very good at that dimension.
    themunn
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2566
    Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm


  • Tomlin couldn't eliminate a rapist on his own team, no way he comes close to eliminating dangeruss.
    nfcwizard
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 28
    Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 9:09 pm


Next


It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:38 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information