EDIT: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate....

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
EDIT: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate....
Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:43 am
  • the read option! (He also does battle with the Batman at night and once helped Mike Tyson eat small babies :sarcasm_off: ).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ion-to-nfl

Russ is maaaaaan. Good luck with that.
    Last edited by Mistashoesta on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• Mike Tomlin can feast on a thousand dicks.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• mike tomlin is an overrated windbag with a fat rapist quarterback.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• Fine stop it.

Is he going to stop Wilson passing from the pocket and Lynch running out of a traditional set as well?

We don't play the Stealers anyway this year. Who cares what Tomlin says, that team is in decline, he has more problems than the read-option.

And looking at their schedule, they don't even play SF or Washington either. :roll:
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• not sure why everyone thinks we are going to constantly use the read option.

we will throw it in now and again but it's not going to be our offense.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• Poor comment by Tomlin. It will only make him look unhappy and envious.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• Tomlin was asked about the read option and his answer is that it was a gimmick. Don't really understand why some of you are acting like he said anything bad about Wilson.

Funny thing is I recall some of the board members using the same talking point when arguing Wilson over RG3 or Kapernick
    Killa Kam
    NET Veteran

• Thread title is seriously misleading

Other QB's run the Read Option

Tomlin didn't specifically single out any QB

He's stating that he wants to be the one to stop the Read Option, it's not a knock on Wilson
    Shaz
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• I just think tomlin is a windbag, that is all, he seems to spout off a lot and he's obviously out of touch with what we're doing here.
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• ivotuk wrote:Poor comment by Tomlin. It will only make him look unhappy and envious.

I agree. If I had a fat rapist for a QB and had hopes for a Super Bowl victory someday, I'd be envious too.
    MysterMatt
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Tomlin acts pretty much like he's awesome when all he did was inherit an already good but aging team.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• easy guys... he said he wanted to eliminate the read option not russell... RTFA
    blue 22
    NET Veteran

• Hawknballs wrote:not sure why everyone thinks we are going to constantly use the read option.

we will throw it in now and again but it's not going to be our offense.

This
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• It's funny how the coaches who don't have a current era "mobile QB" are the ones who don't like the read option. If either of our QB's were on the Steelers, Tomlin I bet would be singing a different tune.

I know that Roethlisberger has some wheels, but there isn't much tread left on the tires.
    Last edited by NinerLifer on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
    DISCLAIMER:

The trash talking that I do occasionally this week is strictly for gamesmanship between opposing fanbases as a result of our upcoming matchup this week on SNF. It by no means should be taken personally.
    NinerLifer
    NET Veteran

• Side story, I'm waiting for the light rail this morning. Guy was there in full Stealer gear, with a James Harrison jersey, James Harrison??? In addition to the jeans around his knees and the hat barely sitting on his head and tilted sideways.

Why is it when I see Stealer fans they're always D-bags? I took a pic, I should upload it.

As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• That guy looks like he steals car stereos
    SNDavidson
    NET Veteran

• I guess as long as you link an article you can pretend it says whatever you want and nobody will bother to check?

Pete Carroll may have said the exact same thing as Tomlin did if asked. Of course defensive minded head coaches want to figure out how to stop the read option. The only difference is then everybody would be talking about how wise Pete is rather than how lame another head coach is.
    "Check out my 2012 NFL Draft Grades. I just gave the worst grade ever to Seattle." - WalterFootball.com
    AgentDib
    NET Veteran

• Tomlin is showing his ignorance here. Anyone that thinks we are a "read option" offense obviously hasn't watched game film in depth.

It's a fraction of our offense and it depends on how a defense wants to try and attack us.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• All the Mexicans are saying Idiota.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

IMO, the read option is a great wrinkle to add to your offense during a game, but it is an option that if relied to heavily on is going to get your QB hurt. Defenses will adjust to it just like they did for the Wildcat, so it is better not to make it a staple of your offense anyways.

According to the original poster that must mean I want Wilson cut.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• Let him dedicate a ton of his defense to stopping the read option, that just opens up more of the playbook elsewhere. Defenses so obsessed with one faction of an offense tend to get bit in the ass by something they never saw coming.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• AgentDib wrote:I guess as long as you link an article you can pretend it says whatever you want and nobody will bother to check?

Pete Carroll may have said the exact same thing as Tomlin did if asked. Of course defensive minded head coaches want to figure out how to stop the read option. The only difference is then everybody would be talking about how wise Pete is rather than how lame another head coach is.

Tomlin said he was going to "eliminate the read option." That is boastful and imaho, ignorant. I think it's here to stay and will become one of many variations on the offense. It may not always be a significant part of an offense, out certainly isn't for the Seahawks.

And I agree with the poster above, Tomlin inherited a Superbowl contender with an elite defense. He stool has a lot to prove.
    "God Bless the Seattle Seahawks" Cortez Kennedy
    ivotuk
    * NET Nobody *

• razor150 wrote:Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

IMO, the read option is a great wrinkle to add to your offense during a game, but it is an option that if relied to heavily on is going to get your QB hurt. Defenses will adjust to it just like they did for the Wildcat, so it is better not to make it a staple of your offense anyways.

It's not that simple. Comparing the Wildcat to the read option doesn't wash. You can't just say "defenses will adjust" in a vacuum...because they still need to have the right kind of players to implement the adjustment. That's more important than schematically designing something.

And FYI, it's not like defenses didn't try to adjust or plan for it from about the midpoint of last season. They had plenty of film and chances to stop it, and we still steamrolled teams for it. The Rams were definitely the best at defending it down the stretch, and they have the right kind of defense for it.

However, our version of the read option will evolve and take a new shape with Harvin in the mix. If teams spend so much time and energy worrying about the read option, we will kill them with other facets of our offense.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Comments like that will just fuel the blazing inferno that is Russell Wilson!!
    "We’re gonna reach down, grab grass, and go hat on hat.” - Chuck Knox
    StenoHawk
    NET Bench Warmer

• Tomlin isn't wrong. There will probably never be a time when more than a handful of guys can run a good option/pistol look.

We faced it three times last year and our defense killed it. The template for stopping it is already out there.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• FlyingGreg wrote:
    razor150 wrote:Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

It's not that simple. Comparing the Wildcat to the read option doesn't wash. You can't just say "defenses will adjust" in a vacuum...because they still need to have the right kind of players to implement the adjustment. That's more important than schematically designing something.

And FYI, it's not like defenses didn't try to adjust or plan for it from about the midpoint of last season. They had plenty of film and chances to stop it, and we still steamrolled teams for it. The Rams were definitely the best at defending it down the stretch, and they have the right kind of defense for it.

However, our version of the read option will evolve and take a new shape with Harvin in the mix. If teams spend so much time and energy worrying about the read option, we will kill them with other facets of our offense.

The Miami Dolphins got into the playoffs and had a great record all because of the Wildcat. It wasn't as if the teams the Dolphins beat weren't trying to stop it either. I will freely admit this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, but the comparison isn't that outlandish either. We still see versions of the Wildcat in offenses today, which will be the read options future. IMO, the Redskins were last years Dolphins.

The Rams were the best at defending it likely because they faced the 3 teams that used it, which gave them more experience defending it then anybody else. Defensive Coordinators through out the league right now are watching game film to see what worked and what didn't, with the Rams being required viewing material.
    razor150
    NET Veteran

• AgentDib wrote:I guess as long as you link an article you can pretend it says whatever you want and nobody will bother to check?

Thank you, was going to post the same thing, he said nothing of the sort, he doesn't want to eliminate Russ, nor teams that use it, just the concept itself as he doesn't believe it has staying power. Maybe fix the title broskie ;)
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain.

"Beast Mode is artist, puny Saints Defense merely his canvas!"

"When you die the only kingdom you'll see, will be two foot wide and six foot deep!"
    HawksSoc
    NET Veteran

• OH well, let him try and stop Russell. Russell is way more than just a runner thats for sure.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Tomlin knows he cant stop it....
    hawksman53
    NET Veteran

• razor150 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:
    razor150 wrote:Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

The Miami Dolphins got into the playoffs and had a great record all because of the Wildcat. It wasn't as if the teams the Dolphins beat weren't trying to stop it either. I will freely admit this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, but the comparison isn't that outlandish either. We still see versions of the Wildcat in offenses today, which will be the read options future. IMO, the Redskins were last years Dolphins.

The Rams were the best at defending it likely because they faced the 3 teams that used it, which gave them more experience defending it then anybody else. Defensive Coordinators through out the league right now are watching game film to see what worked and what didn't, with the Rams being required viewing material.

...and we will roll out wrinkles and variations from the way we ran it last season as well.

Our offensive flexibility is key. We can pound the rock, throw short, throw deep, feature the tight end, move Harvin all over the place to create formation mismatches, throw screens...we can run the pistol and read option...and you always have to account for our QB on every snap.

IMO, our offense creates too many problems to be shut down or "figured out".
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• The read option can be COMPLETELY eliminated

Just a shame that you will be giving up a lot of passing yards in those games...............

Everything can be game planned for but it comes at a cost. The read option w pistol setup offense has all the options of a regular offense plus running the qb. You eliminate running the qb at a cost and that is enough to keep the read option there even if you never run the qb because you just bought something....

Carolina will be super dangerous this year - just wait and watch. I am (hypothetically of course) putting money on them winning their division. They will be all out committed to read option this year and Cam is going to have a field day down there
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:All the Mexicans are saying Idiota.

LMFAO!

I'm pretty sure your comment flew right over their heads too.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• I always thought it was a little gimmicky too. The reason I am OK with us running it is because it's a wrinkle, not the focus.
    Help bring peace to the South LA / Puget Sound communities. Are you in?
    http://www.abetterla.org | http://www.abetterseattle.com
    sc85sis
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• twisted_steel2 wrote:Side story, I'm waiting for the light rail this morning. Guy was there in full Stealer gear, with a James Harrison jersey, James Harrison??? In addition to the jeans around his knees and the hat barely sitting on his head and tilted sideways.

Why is it when I see Stealer fans they're always D-bags? I took a pic, I should upload it.

every time i see a steelers fan in a jersey or with a sticker on their car or some dumb hat I just automatically assume they are a bad person.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

Well played sir. Well played.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Shaz wrote:Thread title is seriously misleading

Other QB's run the Read Option

Tomlin didn't specifically single out any QB

He's stating that he wants to be the one to stop the Read Option, it's not a knock on Wilson

Seriously misleading?
    You mean to tell us that Russell doesn't run the "Read Option" ?, um, okay.
    Just like Worthlisbuger doesn't run around to buy time, or runs with the ball himself to get first/touch downs either.
    Tomlin is talking out his rectal orfice.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

What? The title of the article is "Russell Wilson: Mobile QBs add new dimension to NFL"

The first 3 lines read:

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the read-option offense the "flavor of the day" in the NFL. He doesn't believe it will have lasting success in the NFL.

"We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks didn't lean on the read-option until late last season, but they were very effective when they broke it out.

Tomlin might not have said the exact quote "I want to eliminate Russell Wilson", but it's hardly a reach by the OP to suggest it considering the context of the article. The OP has just parroted the words of Gregg Rosenthal
    Last edited by themunn on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

• SalishHawkFan wrote:This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

You should probably click the link in the OP again. Then read the article's title. Then read the article. Wilson is mentioned.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• razor150 wrote:
    FlyingGreg wrote:

True, but then the Rams only partially figgured out a way to slow it down for awhile, and then Bevel/RW just dialed up a couple more options, and the Rams came up empty again.
    Having Harvin in the mix now, will open up a whole new can of worms to account for in the Seahawks RO.
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• themunn wrote:
    SalishHawkFan wrote:This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

What? The title of the article is "Russell Wilson: Mobile QBs add new dimension to NFL"

The first 3 lines read:

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the read-option offense the "flavor of the day" in the NFL. He doesn't believe it will have lasting success in the NFL.

"We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks didn't lean on the read-option until late last season, but they were very effective when they broke it out.

Tomlin might not have said the exact quote "I want to eliminate Russell Wilson", but it's hardly a reach by the OP to suggest it considering the context of the article. The OP has just parroted the words of Gregg Rosenthal

The title of THIS thread is: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson....

Tomlin is only talking about eliminating the read option. Rosenthal, not Tomlin, uses Russell Wilson as an example. It is Rosenthal who is equating the read option with Russell Wilson.

Everyone on here is getting all worked up at Tomlin as if he said he was going to eliminate Russell Wilson.

You all are acting with knee jerk reactions to the title of the thread. The title of the thread is misleading. The article by Rosenthal is about Tomlin stopping the read option, not eliminating russell wilson.

Let's look at those first three lines. This is how Bush led our country into war with Iraq, by talking about Saddam and Iraq, then throwing in something totally extraneous about the threat of nuclear war, etc. All the while saying he never actually said Iraq had WMD's.

It's a game of "which one doesn't belong?". I bolded the sentence that has no logic structure with the rest of the sentences. In the first two, Tomlin is discussing the READ OPTION. In the last sentence, Rosenthal is discussing RUSSELL WILSON. The result? Idiots equating Tomlin stopping the read option with Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson.

It infers that Russell Wilson's entire game IS the read option.

As I said, well played OP, well played.

SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Russell Wilson DOES run the RO at times, so Tomlin was refering to ANY and ALL teams that utilize it, INCLUDING Russell Wilson, and the Seahawks.
    Pretty obvious to me that, that was his intention/insinuation of this particular matter.
    Some of Y'all do understand, that way back when, Football was primarily played almost exclusively by RUNNING the ball, and that throwing the ball was rare as hens teeth.
    So when the passing sensation (new option) was added, it forever changed how Defenses had to adapt, or fall hopelessly behind because of the new trend spreading like a wild fire.
    The RO is just one more facet of the game, that forces Defenses to re-calibrate, and re-adjust for, and RW will use it to his advantage as he perfects some of the mental elements of what makes it work, and he'll throw out the elements of the option that don't.
    It isn't just about tucking the ball and running willy nilly (old school)
    scutterhawk
    NET Veteran

• This is getting ridiculous. Everybody just STOP, click on the link, read it, then make a comment.

For those of you who still refuse to read it, I'll summarize:

Tomlin: "I don't like the read option. I think it's a fad, and I want my defense to stop it from ever being effective in the NFL again."
    Wilson: "Try."
    Guardian
    NET Veteran

• peachesenregalia wrote:Mike Tomlin can feast on a thousand dicks.

Ditto, but that applies to all Stealers, owners, employees and or their fans.
    garrylt4
    NET Rookie

• Why are you guys getting so worked up about it? If people want to make that connection from Tomlin's comments to Wilson, who cares...
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• peachesenregalia wrote:Mike Tomlin can feast on a thousand dicks.

I think he's up for the challenge

PS: sorry for the shitty PS (on Work PC)
    I Bleed Blue/Green/White
    Seattle Seahawks/Vancouver Canucks
    Always tuned into Covino & Rich (Sirius XM 104 - 9AM - 1 PM)
    seahawkcanuck
    NET Bench Warmer

• Wow. I had no idea popcorn and beer could be so satisfying in the morning/afternoon :snack: .

Didn't mean to twist panties, just was trying to honestly link to a article with ties to our team. Soo glad a few of you actually took time to click the link and read the article before replying.
    San Fransisco. Still partying like it's 1981.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

• This is non news.

I'm pretty sure every coach wants to eliminate every offense they face.
    JSeahawks
    * NET Moderator *

• Scottemojo wrote:Tomlin isn't wrong. There will probably never be a time when more than a handful of guys can run a good option/pistol look.

We faced it three times last year and our defense killed it. The template for stopping it is already out there.

Everything you said is factual, but I disagree slightly for a couple reasons. Maybe disagree is too strong a word. Maybe "augmenting the argument" would work better.

#1: Yes, Seattle did stop read option quarterbacks very well last year. However, they did so with a defense that features some very rare athlete types- their linebacker group top to bottom would be among the fastest group of linebackers in this draft. There are only a few linebackers every year that come out with the kind of speed we have. We also have a secondary that is very hard to replicate and is highly dependent on Carroll's incredible player development ability. So yes, if you build a #1 scoring defense with some hard to find parts, you can stop it. But that's not saying much for the rest of the NFL. And FWIW, I am not sure we contain a healthy RG3. When he's 100% he's very hard to stop as a passer but the injury just became too much for him.

#2: Even Seattle would probably have a very tough time stopping a QB like Russell Wilson out of the read option. Imagine if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were capable of read option- imagine how much of a nightmare that would be to defend. Kaepernick/Newton/RG3 all have great arm talent and are good passers, but Wilson is a complete quarterback that becomes far more deadly with the read option wrinkle. Then you factor the weapons that Wilson has- I say good luck to opposing DCs.

I don't think the NFL will ever really solve read option. They will probably solve QBs that use read option like a crutch (Kaepernick), but I think RG3, Newton, and especially Wilson will threaten so much as passers that at the end of the day it will just be one more way of offenses opening up in the running game and adding space in the passing attack. You are completely right that these kinds of QBs are very rare, but the teams that have them- this is going to be a big advantage in the long haul because of how it adds an extra responsibility and burden to defenses while simultaneously adding an additional threat on offense.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• The reason the Wildcat got solved quickly was because teams figured out that there was a low percentage of completing a pass from that formation and overloaded the box.

The new read option isn't so easy to combat. You can't stack the box against Wilson, Newton, RG3, or Kaepernick without getting burned. Solving the read option in the NFL defensively means winning the numbers game against the read option, and it is near impossible to do so against a good pocket passer with elite speed.

You can run your whole offensive playbook out of read option formations. It's not as simple as overloading the box, and therefore won't go away as easily as the wildcat. The reason Seattle did so well defending it, is our unique personell on the defense make it easier to be flexible than other teams, and they had one of the perfect prototypes in Russell Wilson to practice against.

Seattle can regularly run an 8 man box because ET, Sherm, and Browner can shut down a passing game so effectively on their lonesome. No team can run single high as efficiently IMO.
    Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
    Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
    Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.
    Lady Talon
    NET Veteran

• kearly wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Tomlin isn't wrong. There will probably never be a time when more than a handful of guys can run a good option/pistol look.

Everything you said is factual, but I disagree slightly for a couple reasons. Maybe disagree is too strong a word. Maybe "augmenting the argument" would work better.

#1: Yes, Seattle did stop read option quarterbacks very well last year. However, they did so with a defense that features some very rare athlete types- their linebacker group top to bottom would be among the fastest group of linebackers in this draft. There are only a few linebackers every year that come out with the kind of speed we have. We also have a secondary that is very hard to replicate and is highly dependent on Carroll's incredible player development ability. So yes, if you build a #1 scoring defense with some hard to find parts, you can stop it. But that's not saying much for the rest of the NFL. And FWIW, I am not sure we contain a healthy RG3. When he's 100% he's very hard to stop as a passer but the injury just became too much for him.

#2: Even Seattle would probably have a very tough time stopping a QB like Russell Wilson out of the read option. Imagine if Tom Brady or Peyton Manning were capable of read option- imagine how much of a nightmare that would be to defend. Kaepernick/Newton/RG3 all have great arm talent and are good passers, but Wilson is a complete quarterback that becomes far more deadly with the read option wrinkle. Then you factor the weapons that Wilson has- I say good luck to opposing DCs.

I don't think the NFL will ever really solve read option. They will probably solve QBs that use read option like a crutch (Kaepernick), but I think RG3, Newton, and especially Wilson will threaten so much as passers that at the end of the day it will just be one more way of offenses opening up in the running game and adding space in the passing attack. You are completely right that these kinds of QBs are very rare, but the teams that have them- this is going to be a big advantage in the long haul because of how it adds an extra responsibility and burden to defenses while simultaneously adding an additional threat on offense.

Already, 2 defenses are going to try and replicate Seattle, Jacksonville and Dallas. Our unique player profile is the future. Will they be successful? Anybodies guess.

2nd, ours is not the only way to stop it. My guess is that Tomlin would stop it the same way a slowish defense like the Ravens did: just hit the QB everytime he runs the option, and make the refs protect the QB.

My guess is more teams will do the 2nd option.
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Next

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information