Schneider on KJR This am

BelfastHawk

Reaction score
If, like me, you live in the UK, you may not have heard JS on this morning. Here is a link to a summary.

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201303 ... -Radio-KJR

I was interested to see him talking about the restructuring and people wanting to be paid like the best paid in their positions. I wondered if he was meaning Kam might be asking for the earth in negotiations. Who knows?!

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I heard it this morning. He had some interesting things to say. He did say they were working on some extensions like they did last year. On a related note, Laron Landry signed a 4 year, $24 million dollar deal this offseason. That seems like a pretty reasonable figure for Kam. I hope he does not expect Dashon Goldson money. If so, its likely bye bye as much as that would suck.

ErikG803

Reaction score
With all these young guys who are going to need to get paid soon I really hope Kam is near the bottom of the priority list. Nothing personal but I feel like the system helps him more than he helps the system. I'd love to keep everybody but of all the guys with contracts expiring in the next 1-2 years, I'd take a harder line with Kam in what we're willing to pay him. Goldson-like money would be insane, in my opinion.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":3emnah8f said:
I heard it this morning. He had some interesting things to say. He did say they were working on some extensions like they did last year. On a related note, Laron Landry signed a 4 year, $24 million dollar deal this offseason. That seems like a pretty reasonable figure for Kam. I hope he does not expect Dashon Goldson money. If so, its likely bye bye as much as that would suck.

Kam tweeted yesterday that he had "a very long day at the VMAC"......not sure what to read into that. Is that a good thing, or bad thing?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like Kam. He is also the most expendable guy in the legion, though Jeremy Lane may make the same true for Browner.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
Scottemojo":gkoil51s said:
I like Kam. He is also the most expendable guy in the legion, though Jeremy Lane may make the same true for Browner.

Browner is definitely the most expendable imo (especially considering his age)

pehawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":28h23us9 said:

Agreed and agreed.

My hunch is neither Browner nor Kam will see extensions here. Unless they're reasonable.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
pehawk":qgkh43ry said:
My hunch is neither Browner nor Kam will see extensions here. Unless they're reasonable.

It'll be interesting to see how these two contract negotiations play out. Much like Flynn, Kam and Browner's value might be more here than elsewhere.

Personally I see the Legion of Boom as ONE cohesive unit that presses, hits and uses their size to intimidate and frustrate timing. Would either Kam or Browner be as successful or productive on another team? Hard to tell, but I'd say no.

Schadie001

Reaction score
The grass is most often not greener. Kam is a strong safety, not supposed to be a lock down cover guy but a guy who can play heavy run support and deliver the boom ala V. Davis hit. Browner is long, fast and nasty, a perfect compliment to Sherman. They bring unique qualities not often found at their position, and something that PC and JS value...highly: uniqueness. Both will be here until someone beats them, which hasn't happened.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2py0uvdz said:
Missing_Clink":2py0uvdz said:

Kam tweeted yesterday that he had "a very long day at the VMAC"......not sure what to read into that. Is that a good thing, or bad thing?

Negotiations are almost always done WITHOUT the player being present. It's more likely that he was at the VMAC rehabbing from his offseason surgery. His agent and the FO will take care of the number crunching until it gets close to where the agent believes Kam should be valued at.

hawkpride

Reaction score
The good thing in all this is players in the final year of their contract play lights out, especially younger players (and of course older hungry vets). This will be good for us this season, and all we can hope is the core of the team remains intact in 2014. But as with all teams the cap will catch up if the FO is slacking. Which JS will not let happen.

It is known

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks ... more-17147

While unwilling to give specifics, Schneider said the team is working on a couple extensions on core players set to the hit the market in 2014

Players on their last year and will become unrestricted.

Breno Giacomini

Paul McQuistan

Michael Bennett

Michael Robinson

Clint Gresham

Kam Chancellor

Will Blackmon

Walter Thurmond

Anthony McCoy

Golden Tate

Dexter Davis

Lemuel Jeanpierre

Starrman44

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor is one of my favorite Seahawks. In fact, the minute they drafted him I was just hoping he would succeed (not just because of the normal feelings when we draft a player, but because at his size it would just be awesome).

That being said, He reminds me of the situation with Roy Williams (safety for the Cowboys). It seemed like his star faded so fast.

I believe that Chancellor can excel in a particular role, the role of enforcer. He is athletic enough not to get embarrassed in coverage. I just agree with everyone that he is more replaceable than Sherman and Thomas. You could put a guy back there with a different set of strengths and tweak the D and be just as successful.

I hope that he remains a Seahawk. I love the way our back end is constructed, so that is definitely my vote, but he's not the guy I would break the bank over. IMO, YMMV, and suchlike, lol...

Stoned Cold

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3cn4odu7 said:
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/03/26/john-schneider-on-kjr-michael-bennett-has-torn-rotator-cuff-but-will-not-have-surgery/#more-17147

While unwilling to give specifics, Schneider said the team is working on a couple extensions on core players set to the hit the market in 2014

Breno Giacomini

Paul McQuistan

Michael Bennett

Michael Robinson

Clint Gresham

Kam Chancellor

Will Blackmon

Walter Thurmond

Anthony McCoy

Golden Tate

Dexter Davis

Lemuel Jeanpierre

Chris Maragos, Clinton McDonald.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Kam's the most expendable. He is the "Alex Smith" of our secondary in that he plays at a high level largely because he is enabled by his surroundings. Browner is a similar story, but quite frankly Browner has been better the last two years, and he's got two cheap years left (RFA in 2014) compared to just one for Chancellor (UFA in 2014). I feel like in the box safety is more "plug and play" than a starting corner is. Pete's been pretty successful with guys like Lane and Maxwell, but Browner was a homerun and finding good 6'4" 220 corners is a lot harder than finding a good strong safety that doesn't even need to have great speed.

I love Chancellor and would hate to see him go, but I think I'd rather watch him walk and replace him in the draft than watch the team hand him $6-8 million dollars a year.

Edit: Isn't it interesting that JS waits until a month before the 2013 draft before trying to lock up Chancellor? I just realized the obvious. If talks stall and don't work the way JS wants to, he can draft a strong safety in the 2013 draft and be prepared for losing Chancellor in 2014. It would also give him added leverage in further extensions that occur down the road with Chancellor.

Tical21

Reaction score
Kam Chancellor causes drops and knocks dudes out. Possibly the most feared safety in the league at present. We have the perfect compliment in Earl. Pay the man.

I don't think Browner gets huge money on the open market, and I also think he is essential to what we do. If the money isn't crazy, pay that man as well.

These two guys are two of the main reasons we're an intimidating defense. It is hard to picture us being so bad-arsed without them.

Besides QB, the secondary is the most common link between championship teams. And we have the best one in the NFL. Lets keep it that way. Pay Okung, Percy, Lynch, Wilson, and the secondary, maybe a d-lineman. Plug and play everywhere else. The secondary is too important, and I don't think we're talking huge money for either one of them. They're both incredibly unique. There aren't other players out there like them, and PC and JS brought them in for a reason, and they're fulfilling that reason. They're a huge part of our identity, our bullies. If it costs us KJ Wright, Golden Tate, Zach Miller and Sidney Rice, and adding additional pieces in the next few years, I'm comfortable with that.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Stoned Cold":ytimsuvt said:
twisted_steel2":ytimsuvt said:
http://blog.thenewstribune.com/seahawks/2013/03/26/john-schneider-on-kjr-michael-bennett-has-torn-rotator-cuff-but-will-not-have-surgery/#more-17147

Breno Giacomini

Paul McQuistan

Michael Bennett

Michael Robinson

Clint Gresham

Kam Chancellor

Will Blackmon

Walter Thurmond

Anthony McCoy

Golden Tate

Dexter Davis

Lemuel Jeanpierre

Chris Maragos, Clinton McDonald.

They're restricted free agents.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I hope Kam settle's for Landry $$, he is not worht Goldson money to me and could be replaced. To me he is the most likely to get overpaid of all the LOB, I don't think Earl or Sherman would be overpaid if they got paid #1 for their position $, and Browner is older so won't get much on the market.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Starrman44":3crzitxc said:
Kam Chancellor is one of my favorite Seahawks. In fact, the minute they drafted him I was just hoping he would succeed (not just because of the normal feelings when we draft a player, but because at his size it would just be awesome).

That being said, He reminds me of the situation with Roy Williams (safety for the Cowboys). It seemed like his star faded so fast.

I believe that Chancellor can excel in a particular role, the role of enforcer. He is athletic enough not to get embarrassed in coverage. I just agree with everyone that he is more replaceable than Sherman and Thomas. You could put a guy back there with a different set of strengths and tweak the D and be just as successful.

I hope that he remains a Seahawk. I love the way our back end is constructed, so that is definitely my vote, but he's not the guy I would break the bank over. IMO, YMMV, and suchlike, lol...

I think an example closer to home would be Michael Bouleware (sp?) remember how good of a strong safety he was his 2nd year with the club, when they went to the super bowl? Only for his play to fall off and be out of football after 4 years. Hopefully Kam won't be like this. I also agree he and Browner are most replaceable.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Agréé with Kearly. I don't think that people appreciate Browner enough though with Shermans emergence. Browner is a phenomenal defensive player and great at forcing fumbles. His play against Cam Newton and the toss to the running back was amazing. Then there was the FF against Green Bay almost won the game before the hail mary.