Sando on Harvin

The Yugoslavian

Reaction score
Great read Thanks for sharing. I'm not concerned with the compensation or the character risk. He'll fit in great here and the team's culture will keep him happy

TalontedNoseRider

Reaction score
Great read, thanx for sharing.

Locker-room implications: The Seahawks have a long list of young, talented players in line for new contracts over the next couple of years. They approach those negotiations having proved in spectacular fashion their willingness to pay absolute top dollar for a player who has never scored a touchdown or made a tackle for them. While it's debatable whether Seattle could have gotten hometown discounts from Kam Chancellor, Sherman, Earl Thomas or the others, they can forget about it now.

I think this is perhaps the most detrimental element of the signing...one could argue that this upcoming season IS our window for a championship now.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":3ln61rr5 said:
I think this is perhaps the most detrimental element of the signing...one could argue that this upcoming season IS our window for a championship now.
Only if you don't think our FO has the ability to replace the players they lose...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1y0w9fzo said:
TalontedNoseRider":1y0w9fzo said:
Only if you don't think our FO has the ability to replace the players they lose...

Or if you think Russell Wilson is suffering a career ending injury this season.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Harvin is so dynamic that once him and RW get on the same page, we won't even need a dominating running game to win anymore. Harvin is a top 6 talent on our team

Wilson
Lynch
Thomas
Okung
Sherman
Harvin

lots more talent but these guy are irreplacable

Galen96

Reaction score
TheRealDTM":2i8juibg said:
Have to resign ET, Sherman would be crucial, Kam important.

I disagree.. he, like browner, serve a very distinct purpose. Intimidation. Do you think Vernon Davis is going to EVER go up for a back shoulder catch with kam in the backfield without hearing footsteps? That goes for the many receivers that we have quieted in games last year and the year prior... he only has to lay the wood a few times before they all start hearing footsteps.

mikeak

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":26gu3u44 said:

Locker-room implications: The Seahawks have a long list of young, talented players in line for new contracts over the next couple of years. They approach those negotiations having proved in spectacular fashion their willingness to pay absolute top dollar for a player who has never scored a touchdown or made a tackle for them. While it's debatable whether Seattle could have gotten hometown discounts from Kam Chancellor, Sherman, Earl Thomas or the others, they can forget about it now.

I don't buy that one. If he scores 15-20 TDs next year how does that do anything but show that the team does what it needs to win.....

el capitan

Reaction score
For some players it's all about playing in Superbowls
for others it's about getting paid the absolute most they
can until they retire. If ET, Kam and Sherman want to
have the chance to win multiple Superbowls then they'll
sign team friendly deals to keep the gang together. If
their primary goal is money then good luck to them, I
can't imagine anything worse though for a competative
player than 5 years with the Bills or Dolphins.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Agree with him el capitan and those that do chase the mighty $$$ will net some pretty nice comp picks.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
el capitan":2nwd3j84 said:

this, I hope our players realize they are all on the cusp of something great, but need to try to stick together as long as possible to maximize its potentiality. I mean everyone is trying to get paid max of course, but it would be something to see if they would come together like that. I liken it to a electric green and college navy Voltron.

themunn

Reaction score
el capitan":krujviba said:

The point being made though is that if the Seahawks are happy to pay top dollar to someone who has done nothing for the team so far, why should they accept team friendly deals when they've been contributing for several years.
If we signed Harvin on a "team-friendly" deal then it'd be reasonable to ask them to do the same, but we are paying him the market rate for a top-flight WR, so they will be looking for the same.

A perfect example would have been if we had signed Revis to a 5 year 60 million deal. No matter how desperate Sherman is to win a superbowl, he would want to be paid on an equal level because he considers himself an equal player, and whilst if Revis had signed that deal with the 49ers, maybe Sherman would be happy with 5 years and 50 million, but if we're going to pay guys from outside that amount, then the guys who've done it already for the team are well within their right to ask for the same

el capitan

Reaction score
You're right, all those guys deserve to get paid top dollar but if the cap doesn't allow it then some of them will have to choose between more $$$ or the chance to win championships. It all comes down to the individual.
New England almost never rewards its own free agents with mega deals because if you have Tom Brady and Bill Belichick and you hit more often than you miss in the draft then you'll go to 5 Superbowls in 12 years.

fridayfrenzy

Reaction score
TalontedNoseRider":3vx32xjv said:

Looking at the signing in that light is looking at it like a little kid who is jealous.

All of the Seahawks in the dressing room who are not in direct competition for a roster spot with Harvin should look at the signing as a way to improve the team.

That quote makes it sound like the Seahawk players should be sour at the front office for every free agent they sign, or every draft pick they make. Haha.

"These guys are taking my money, Hmmmppf" :sitsdownquicklywitharmscrossed:

lee

Reaction score
If it sounds to good to be true,it probably is. The question is 'why' would they trade Harvin? Just like Mr Rice,he wanted to re-do his contract before it was up,the Vikings don't do that. Harvin has been coddled like a baby that he is, a malcontent just like Mr Rice was.Chilly put his job on the line drafting Harvin,he even visited him before the draft at his house. All were saying do not draft this guy,he is poison to any football team. Just like Moss,Harvin plays when he wants to play and if he isn't the center of attention on every play think the fat kid who takes the ball and goes home,,pouting.Harvin missed a lot of time in practice,camps and games,,said he had migraines and dig this,nobody believed him for years until he had one at a practice and everybody thought he was gonna die. This shows you his credibility,,zero. With his style of play and small body,,when they say the NFL means,,'not for long' Harvin will be the poster child. Plus you gave the farm away to get him,,pffffft. He was going to hold out this year and would probably have been cut,,you jumped to soon. Last poll I saw in the Mnpls paper,,75% of fans said good riddance,,what does that tell you?

Floridahawk79

Reaction score
lee":2eqmku7d said:
If it sounds to good to be true,it probably is. The question is 'why' would they trade Harvin? Just like Mr Rice,he wanted to re-do his contract before it was up,the Vikings don't do that. Harvin has been coddled like a baby that he is, a malcontent just like Mr Rice was.Chilly put his job on the line drafting Harvin,he even visited him before the draft at his house. All were saying do not draft this guy,he is poison to any football team. Just like Moss,Harvin plays when he wants to play and if he isn't the center of attention on every play think the fat kid who takes the ball and goes home,,pouting.Harvin missed a lot of time in practice,camps and games,,said he had migraines and dig this,nobody believed him for years until he had one at a practice and everybody thought he was gonna die. This shows you his credibility,,zero. With his style of play and small body,,when they say the NFL means,,'not for long' Harvin will be the poster child. Plus you gave the farm away to get him,,pffffft. He was going to hold out this year and would probably have been cut,,you jumped to soon. Last poll I saw in the Mnpls paper,,75% of fans said good riddance,,what does that tell you?

:snack:

FortWorthSeahawk

Reaction score
lee":1233ac16 said:

That Minnesota is a well organized franchise that is on the up and up and isn't wasting the years they have with a once-in-a-decade running back? Wait, no that's not it.

Me thinks you might be a bit upset, but that's understandable; I felt the same way with our previous GM and coach and how they handled things. I'd worry more about AP having a sub-par QB and (at the moment) no WR that will make defenses back off playing 10 in the box.

While Rice has been banged up a bit while playing for Seattle, he hasn't been a "malcontent" so I guess that's working out. Maybe that's why the organization is willing to risk taking Harvin on?