Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:27 pm 
* NET Staff *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
Posts: 2863
Location: Spokane
I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.

_________________
Awesome Table Tool: http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode- ... rator.aspx


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:28 pm 
* Natural Rubbing Action *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
Posts: 17587
Location: The beautiful PNW
Good, good news. But we've come to expect that with this front office. Well done, Seahawks.

_________________
World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:31 pm 
* NET Bad Ass *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:00 am
Posts: 1936
Location: Puyallup
Thats a little more than I was thinking.
I thought we were about 5.5 to 6 without the rookies.
Thats good news.

_________________
GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
DROPPIN' THE NOISE HAMMER AT THE SOUTH ALASKA INSANE ASYLUM


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:33 pm 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 8836
Location: Granite Falls, WA
Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:35 pm 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7408
Location: CVN-68
Next year is when it will get interesting (decision wise). Anyone we can extend now will help.

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:39 pm 
* NET Staff *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
Posts: 2863
Location: Spokane
Tech Worlds wrote:
Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.


Yeah, I see you out there on the boat with your laptop pro rating bonuses. Just your style.

_________________
Awesome Table Tool: http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode- ... rator.aspx


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:17 pm 
* NET Eeyore *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
Posts: 10541
Location: Pasco, WA
Sweet! Now lets start locking up some of our own guys!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 pm 
* NET Radish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
Posts: 18023
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Hawkstorian wrote:
Tech Worlds wrote:
Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.


Yeah, I see you out there on the boat with your laptop pro rating bonuses. Just your style.



Pegging John, he said pegging.

:les:

_________________
Image
The SuperB owl ladys have left the building with our thanks.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:15 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am
Posts: 879
Location: Bellevue, WA
Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!

_________________
Image

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:57 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9844
Hawkstorian wrote:
I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.


Thanks for making a separate topic, a lot of us (including me) wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Am I reading you right on that second paragraph? The Seahawks usually budget $4 million for draft picks (without the late 1st it's probably $3 million now). Granted some picks won't make the 53 man roster but I'd think Seattle would add more than 500k in spending- unless the draft picks only replaced other players on 1st contracts. I'm not saying you're wrong, you might be dead on, I just thought it was an interesting estimate.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:42 pm 
* NET Staff *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
Posts: 2863
Location: Spokane
Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.

_________________
Awesome Table Tool: http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode- ... rator.aspx


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:57 pm 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 8836
Location: Granite Falls, WA
Hawkstorian wrote:
Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.


I will have to agree with John as this is my way understanding it as well.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:16 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:27 pm
Posts: 271
And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?

_________________
Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:24 pm 
* NET News Scoop *
* NET News Scoop *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Posts: 8923
Tech Worlds wrote:
Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

For some reason I knew you were into pegging.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
Posts: 2824
Location: Seattle
A London Hawk wrote:
And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?

No, I believe the salary cap numbers are always based on your 51 highest paid players.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:32 pm 
* NET Staff *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
Posts: 2863
Location: Spokane
A London Hawk wrote:
And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?


Correct. All 53 plus any injured players and the practice squad.

_________________
Awesome Table Tool: http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode- ... rator.aspx


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:19 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
Posts: 2015
Location: Graham, WA
The Yugoslavian wrote:
Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!


Close to my opinion

1. Re-sign Alan Branch
2. Re-sign Kam Chancellor
3. Sign FA CB or DT (Woodson or Seymore)

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:07 pm 
* El Primo *
* El Primo *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
Posts: 5222
Location: Skagit County, WA
Thanks for the info, John! :th2thumbs:

_________________
If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm
Posts: 4290
Tech Worlds wrote:
Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

Yeah, when I threw my dart that's where it landed too.

_________________
Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:09 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm
Posts: 2362
Tech Worlds wrote:
Hawkstorian wrote:
Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.


I will have to agree with John as this is my way understanding it as well.


Bwaahaha! Stop already :les:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:44 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 pm
Posts: 1321
Location: Delaware
Kam Chancellor seems to have been in slight decline. If they wait a year, they may be able to sign him cheaper. I think it's worth the risk to wait to sign Bam-Bam.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 am 
* Master Chief *
* Master Chief *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
Posts: 7408
Location: CVN-68
Maelstrom787 wrote:
Kam Chancellor seems to have been in slight decline. If they wait a year, they may be able to sign him cheaper. I think it's worth the risk to wait to sign Bam-Bam.


I think Kam played hurt last season, more than we realized. He had surprise surgery right after the season ended.

That more than anything explains his "decline".

_________________
@SeahawkGreg

Image

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:16 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12424
Location: Anchorage, AK
Hawkstorian wrote:
I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.


I mentioned this in the other thread, but did he happen to mention where that extra came from? I had been wondering if the Redskins/Cowboys penalty was counted in the original number, as that was supposed to be dispersed amongst other teams to insure that enough money was being spent (per CBA rules). I am guessing that this may be that money

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:24 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am
Posts: 879
Location: Bellevue, WA
I wouldn't wait around and try to get too cute with Kam. He is due to bounce back and resume playing at his 2011 pro-bowl level. Plus, with our improved pass rush all the DB's should be even that much better. More plays and stats for Bam Bam more paper in his wallet this or next off season.

I've read & heard from John, Pete, and even whoever ran into him at the ATL airport from these forums posted that Kam said they're working hard to get a deal done. I anticipate one very soon.

_________________
Image

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 am 
* NET Staff *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
Posts: 2863
Location: Spokane
kidhawk wrote:
I mentioned this in the other thread, but did he happen to mention where that extra came from? I had been wondering if the Redskins/Cowboys penalty was counted in the original number, as that was supposed to be dispersed amongst other teams to insure that enough money was being spent (per CBA rules). I am guessing that this may be that money


I haven't heard anywhere that the Redskins/Cowboys situation had anything to do with it. It is just the final true up after going through all the previous year deals and considering lost incentives, etc. I didn't get specifics.

_________________
Awesome Table Tool: http://www.teamopolis.com/tools/bbcode- ... rator.aspx


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:03 am 
NET Veteran
Online

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 3191
Probably why JS mentioned now they were looking to some of our own extensions as a priority.

Dang, this really is a well oiled machine in all aspects. Everything really is aligning for an incredible run this year.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3102
Not to fuel speculation, but just reading between the lines on some of Kam's recent tweets, they might have hit a snag:


Quote:
Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
NFL=Not For Long.... #Truth

luke snitzler‏@Luke537724 Mar
@Kam_Chancellor kam, can u promise to never leave the Seahawks? Ur my favorite player and I don't want to retire ur jersey
Expand

Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
@Luke5377 not my call


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:14 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm
Posts: 1141
The Yugoslavian wrote:
Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!


Davis is going to get more than 1.2 million, the Bills are looking at him right now.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:27 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12424
Location: Anchorage, AK
DavidSeven wrote:
Not to fuel speculation, but just reading between the lines on some of Kam's recent tweets, they might have hit a snag:


Quote:
Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
NFL=Not For Long.... #Truth

luke snitzler‏@Luke537724 Mar
@Kam_Chancellor kam, can u promise to never leave the Seahawks? Ur my favorite player and I don't want to retire ur jersey
Expand

Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
@Luke5377 not my call


The first quote is too out of context to have any idea. If I were to speculate he could easily be talking about the rules changes.

The latter, sounds more to me like him just not wanting to say something that he can't guarantee. Even if he wants to remain a seahawk for life, there are too many variables that aren't in his control.

I wouldn't Interpret either of those as some snag in any negotiations, and even if there are slow moving negotations, that's just par for the course this early in that type of situation. He's going to start high, they will start low, and given he's got a full season, not to mention most of this offseason, both sides could easily be patient with it. It's not really a priority at the moment.

Personally, I believe they will extend him before the season starts, but not necessarily before the draft.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.