Interesting numbers related to the cap situation.

emerald_city

Reaction score
Based on the numbers provided by this ( http://overthecap.com/ ) site, I've found an interesting conclusion.
Basically we are a defense oriented team, I guess, however we pay way more to the other side of the ball.
I compered the same cap numbers on the NFC Playoff teams, and it seems, we pay the most money /player on the offensive side, and we pay the least at the defensive side of the ball.
It is kind of surprising, because I think we have more talent in the D#. These numbers are up to date, so Harvin and the others are included. As I was thinking about this, I figured an answer.
We have some serious talent under rookie contract in the D#, such like Wagner,Sherm,BB and Wright.
In 1 or 2 years we have to extend those contracts, so we can not afford to spend this kind of money in the O#!
The point is, the fact, we've found some above avarage players in the late rounds, makes us room for this year, to spend "their" money to upgrading the O#, and getting difference makers like Harvin. Agree?

p.s. : Forgive the lack of spelling, english is not my first language.

O# : 30 players / 80 million ---> 2.66m/p
D#: 34 players / 53.4 million ---> 1.57m/p
ST#: 2 milion

Frisco:
O#: 31p / 59.6 m ---> 1.9m/p
D#: 27p / 58 m ---> 2.1m/p
ST#: 7 m

Falcons:
O#: 34p / 67.8 m ---> 1.99m/p
D#: 22p / 37 m ---> 1.68m/p
ST#: 3.5 m

GreenBay:
O#: 31p / 55.8 m ---> 1.8m/p
D#: 29p / 55 m ---> 1.89m/p
ST#: 4.2 m

Minnesota:
O#: 31p / 61.6 m ---> 1.98m/p
D#: 27p / 61.6 m ---> 2,28m/p
ST#: 2.4 m

Redskins:

O#: 32 p / 53.4 m ---> 1.66m/p
D#: 33 p / 54 m ---> 1.63m/p
ST#: 1.3 m

12HawkFan

Reaction score
Welcome to Seahawks.net!!

Good first post with some good points brought up.

Time will tell.

GO HAWKS!!!

Atradees

Reaction score
Awesome contract related first post Emerald City.

My take on that information is this:

1. Defensive players we have are largely under rookie contracts. I think this is the nature of the beast.
John and Pete have drafted really well and good players on defense take less time to develop. The defense is usually
ahead of the offense on most teams. It likely takes less skill on that side of the ball.

2. Offensive players taking more time to develop are harder to draft because you have to take on more risk
in determining actual value. So therefore, one has to pay a premium to get players like Harvin, Rice, Lynch, and Miller to be sure of what the actual dividend will be.

Interesting coincidence that in an article on .com Pete responded to this kind of reasoning the other day about
the fear of eventual extensions for premium players. They have already thought about it. So there is a definite focus towards the future rather than an akward jab step towards more immediate needs. I think its why we signed Avril and Bennett to such short term contracts and at the same time some of those longer $$$ deals such as Rice and Miller can be said to be closer to completion in 2014 or 5.

As long as Paul locks up the Schneid and DangeRuss for about 10 tears and a billion I am in.

But then maybe that is my perception. In my avatar the pass by by Wilson to Rice is said to be a fourty six yarder. Russell releases the ball at our own 45 yard line. The pass is grabbed about 5 yards into the endzone. I would call that a sixty yard touchdown pass.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Atradees":2vm7tv1l said:
In my avatar the pass by by Wilson to Rice is said to be a fourty six yarder. Russell releases the ball at our own 45 yard line. The pass is grabbed about 5 yards into the endzone. I would call that a sixty yard touchdown pass.

I was thinking the exact same thing recently. I frequently see in articles, even articles praising our team, criticism of Russell Wilson's arm strength, as though he gets by on his wiles and wheels, with a subpar arm or something. Some articles will go so far as to say he has a "good but not great" arm. How far does a guy have to throw the ball to have a "great" arm?!?

In my casual, homeristic view, Russell Wilson throws the deep ball better than anyone else has for a very long time.

sutz

Reaction score
SmokinHawk":39llms1v said:
Atradees":39llms1v said:
In my avatar the pass by by Wilson to Rice is said to be a fourty six yarder. Russell releases the ball at our own 45 yard line. The pass is grabbed about 5 yards into the endzone. I would call that a sixty yard touchdown pass.

I was thinking the exact same thing recently. I frequently see in articles, even articles praising our team, criticism of Russell Wilson's arm strength, as though he gets by on his wiles and wheels, with a subpar arm or something. Some articles will go so far as to say he has a "good but not great" arm. How far does a guy have to throw the ball to have a "great" arm?!?

In my casual, homeristic view, Russell Wilson throws the deep ball better than anyone else has for a very long time.
Certainly the best in Seattle in a good long time.

Official yardage is measured from the line of scrimmage and always stops at the goal line. TD passes are always longer than the official yardage stat people quote. In fact, pretty much no pass is the actual yardage thrown, because it is from behind the LOS and includes the YAC the receiver gets. A whole bunch of Montana's passing yardage was YAC from Rice and Taylor. It's one reason I don't worry too much about QB yardage stats. Last year, Wilson's yardage was not that impressive, but he made what he got count big time.

The Radish

Reaction score
Yes, welcome to Seahawks.net

English not your first language? Well hell why should you be different than most of our other posters??

:D

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Very good post Emerald City. You brought up something that is very interesting and not something people think about often. It brings to mind something Holmgren said was a mistake he'd learned from in Seattle. Defenses need young players. He went more to youth after his failed attempt to build a defense of experienced vets early on failed. A young defense costs less in todays new rookie contract world. Receivers and QB's require time to learn the route tree, learn the defenses, etc. The oline requires time to gel, learn defenses, etc. Those learned skills are worth more money, hence the offense of a well built team should cost more than the defense.

What we see in San Fran with their expensive defense is a team that's getting old. Those guys HAD a great young defense and they squandered it in the years before Harbaugh. Now their D is getting older and costing more and that limits what they can do to upgrade the offense. They're a great team, but I think those numbers tell the tale of a team nearing the end of its run that will have to retool soon. Maybe under their current FO they will do so flawlessly, however, it's few team that can do that. We will see.

When you look at the team that perennially is a contender - Green Bay - you see a team who's money is split evenly. They have the most even split of any team on your list. Seattle's FO follows Green Bays philosophy yet is the most imbalanced. Why are they so different if they follow the same philosophy? Because P&J do a better job drafting impact talent in the later rounds and because Green Bay has been at this for quite a long while, whereas Seattle just turned over their entire roster on the last three years and are starting from scratch. I think in time, as you rightly point out, they will have to pay their defense more money and the offense will start getting less. Then it will even out much like Green Bay's. Unless, that is, they can continue to keep the defense young by bringing in new guys from the draft to step up and letting fan favorites who would command high salaries go. I don't see that happening for ET, Sherman, Wagner eventually. The disparity will balance out in time.

I don't think we have to worry about it, however, this FO has proven they know what they're doing. All I ever worry about is the day we'll lose this FO.

OP
OP
E

emerald_city

Reaction score
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Do you think, this year's contract situation allows us to have the most talented roster we've had in the past 3 years, and maybe what we gonna have in the next 3?
RW needs franchise-Qb salary soon, the players mentioned above need bigger numbers on the pay-check too.
So basically , if we look strictly the cap room situation, one can say, this year has the biggest potencial to win a ring.

themunn

Reaction score
emerald_city":2xu9savo said:
Thank you for the warm welcome.
Do you think, this year's contract situation allows us to have the most talented roster we've had in the past 3 years, and maybe what we gonna have in the next 3?
RW needs franchise-Qb salary soon, the players mentioned above need bigger numbers on the pay-check too.
So basically , if we look strictly the cap room situation, one can say, this year has the biggest potencial to win a ring.

I would say that this is arguably the most talented roster we've ever had, let alone in the past 3 years.
The Seahawks could make the claim towards the end of the season that they had the number 1 offense AND the number 1 defense... and they've only added dynamic playmakers on both sides of the ball since.
I agree that the cap situation means it's likely that we won't have all of these players in 2 years time - though I wouldn't rule out there being space for them next year as well. In 2 years time the contracts of Avril, Bennett and Clemons will be over, I imagine we try to keep Avril as a replacement for Clemons, who would be turning 34 in that season and unlikely to stay, Bennett is another question - we could keep him next season but I think it's also at the expense of someone else on the D, possibly Red Bryant. On the offensive side of the ball we have a lot of money tied up in Harvin, Rice and Miller, so it would be no surprise to see one of the three (probably one of the latter 2) released, unless they agreed to smaller contracts.
Lynch's contract would be ending and he'd be hitting the 30 mark, so unless Turbin can live up to that, we'll be downgrading at RB

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
I think there will be turnover in the roster but the level of talent will not diminish. So long as we have this FO, we will continue to find new talent.

el capitan

Reaction score
Just look at the Patriots and the free agents that they have
allowed to leave over the last 12 sesons and yet they have
still been to 5 Superbowls.
All they need is Brady and Belichick.
All we need is Dangeruss and PC&JS.

Latest posts