Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.
    * NET Staff *

• Good, good news. But we've come to expect that with this front office. Well done, Seahawks.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Thats a little more than I was thinking.
    I thought we were about 5.5 to 6 without the rookies.
    Thats good news.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

• Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Next year is when it will get interesting (decision wise). Anyone we can extend now will help.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Tech Worlds wrote:Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

Yeah, I see you out there on the boat with your laptop pro rating bonuses. Just your style.
    * NET Staff *

• Sweet! Now lets start locking up some of our own guys!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Hawkstorian wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

Yeah, I see you out there on the boat with your laptop pro rating bonuses. Just your style.

Pegging John, he said pegging.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
    2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
    3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
    4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• Hawkstorian wrote:I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.

Thanks for making a separate topic, a lot of us (including me) wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

Am I reading you right on that second paragraph? The Seahawks usually budget $4 million for draft picks (without the late 1st it's probably $3 million now). Granted some picks won't make the 53 man roster but I'd think Seattle would add more than 500k in spending- unless the draft picks only replaced other players on 1st contracts. I'm not saying you're wrong, you might be dead on, I just thought it was an interesting estimate.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.
    * NET Staff *

• Hawkstorian wrote:Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.

I will have to agree with John as this is my way understanding it as well.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter

• Tech Worlds wrote:Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

For some reason I knew you were into pegging.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

• A London Hawk wrote:And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?

No, I believe the salary cap numbers are always based on your 51 highest paid players.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• A London Hawk wrote:And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?

Correct. All 53 plus any injured players and the practice squad.
    * NET Staff *

• The Yugoslavian wrote:Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

2.) Re-sign Alan Branch

We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!

Close to my opinion

1. Re-sign Alan Branch
    2. Re-sign Kam Chancellor
    3. Sign FA CB or DT (Woodson or Seymore)
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran

• Thanks for the info, John! :th2thumbs:
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *

Yeah, when I threw my dart that's where it landed too.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

I will have to agree with John as this is my way understanding it as well.

Bwaahaha! Stop already :les:
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• Kam Chancellor seems to have been in slight decline. If they wait a year, they may be able to sign him cheaper. I think it's worth the risk to wait to sign Bam-Bam.
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran

• Maelstrom787 wrote:Kam Chancellor seems to have been in slight decline. If they wait a year, they may be able to sign him cheaper. I think it's worth the risk to wait to sign Bam-Bam.

I think Kam played hurt last season, more than we realized. He had surprise surgery right after the season ended.

That more than anything explains his "decline".
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

• Hawkstorian wrote:I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

I mentioned this in the other thread, but did he happen to mention where that extra came from? I had been wondering if the Redskins/Cowboys penalty was counted in the original number, as that was supposed to be dispersed amongst other teams to insure that enough money was being spent (per CBA rules). I am guessing that this may be that money

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I wouldn't wait around and try to get too cute with Kam. He is due to bounce back and resume playing at his 2011 pro-bowl level. Plus, with our improved pass rush all the DB's should be even that much better. More plays and stats for Bam Bam more paper in his wallet this or next off season.

I've read & heard from John, Pete, and even whoever ran into him at the ATL airport from these forums posted that Kam said they're working hard to get a deal done. I anticipate one very soon.

Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran

• kidhawk wrote:I mentioned this in the other thread, but did he happen to mention where that extra came from? I had been wondering if the Redskins/Cowboys penalty was counted in the original number, as that was supposed to be dispersed amongst other teams to insure that enough money was being spent (per CBA rules). I am guessing that this may be that money

I haven't heard anywhere that the Redskins/Cowboys situation had anything to do with it. It is just the final true up after going through all the previous year deals and considering lost incentives, etc. I didn't get specifics.
    * NET Staff *

• Probably why JS mentioned now they were looking to some of our own extensions as a priority.

Dang, this really is a well oiled machine in all aspects. Everything really is aligning for an incredible run this year.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran

• Not to fuel speculation, but just reading between the lines on some of Kam's recent tweets, they might have hit a snag:

Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
    NFL=Not For Long.... #Truth

luke snitzler‏@Luke537724 Mar
    @Kam_Chancellor kam, can u promise to never leave the Seahawks? Ur my favorite player and I don't want to retire ur jersey
    Expand

@Luke5377 not my call
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran

• The Yugoslavian wrote:Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

2.) Re-sign Alan Branch

Davis is going to get more than 1.2 million, the Bills are looking at him right now.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• DavidSeven wrote:Not to fuel speculation, but just reading between the lines on some of Kam's recent tweets, they might have hit a snag:

NFL=Not For Long.... #Truth

luke snitzler‏@Luke537724 Mar
    @Kam_Chancellor kam, can u promise to never leave the Seahawks? Ur my favorite player and I don't want to retire ur jersey
    Expand

@Luke5377 not my call

The first quote is too out of context to have any idea. If I were to speculate he could easily be talking about the rules changes.

The latter, sounds more to me like him just not wanting to say something that he can't guarantee. Even if he wants to remain a seahawk for life, there are too many variables that aren't in his control.

I wouldn't Interpret either of those as some snag in any negotiations, and even if there are slow moving negotations, that's just par for the course this early in that type of situation. He's going to start high, they will start low, and given he's got a full season, not to mention most of this offseason, both sides could easily be patient with it. It's not really a priority at the moment.

Personally, I believe they will extend him before the season starts, but not necessarily before the draft.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information