Seahawks Salary Cap Higher than we Thought

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

    Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 2913
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


  • Good, good news. But we've come to expect that with this front office. Well done, Seahawks.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    User avatar
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 18652
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:23 am
    Location: The beautiful PNW


  • Thats a little more than I was thinking.
    I thought we were about 5.5 to 6 without the rookies.
    Thats good news.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    User avatar
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *
     
    Posts: 1970
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:00 am
    Location: Puyallup


  • Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9475
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • Next year is when it will get interesting (decision wise). Anyone we can extend now will help.
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7501
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


  • Tech Worlds wrote:Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.


    Yeah, I see you out there on the boat with your laptop pro rating bonuses. Just your style.
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 2913
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


  • Sweet! Now lets start locking up some of our own guys!
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 11065
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


  • Hawkstorian wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.


    Yeah, I see you out there on the boat with your laptop pro rating bonuses. Just your style.



    Pegging John, he said pegging.

    :les:
    Image
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    User avatar
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *
     
    Posts: 18655
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:18 pm
    Location: Spokane, Wa.


  • Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

    1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
    2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
    3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
    4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

    We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!
    Image

    Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    User avatar
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 879
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am
    Location: Bellevue, WA


  • Hawkstorian wrote:I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

    Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.


    Thanks for making a separate topic, a lot of us (including me) wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

    Am I reading you right on that second paragraph? The Seahawks usually budget $4 million for draft picks (without the late 1st it's probably $3 million now). Granted some picks won't make the 53 man roster but I'd think Seattle would add more than 500k in spending- unless the draft picks only replaced other players on 1st contracts. I'm not saying you're wrong, you might be dead on, I just thought it was an interesting estimate.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 11039
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

    So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 2913
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


  • Hawkstorian wrote:Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

    So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.


    I will have to agree with John as this is my way understanding it as well.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9475
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?
    Holy Catfish! Touchdown Seahawks!
    User avatar
    A London Hawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 331
    Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:27 pm


  • Tech Worlds wrote:Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

    For some reason I knew you were into pegging.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8998
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


  • A London Hawk wrote:And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?

    No, I believe the salary cap numbers are always based on your 51 highest paid players.
    User avatar
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2836
    Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:47 pm
    Location: Seattle


  • A London Hawk wrote:And then all 53 count when the final roster cuts are done?


    Correct. All 53 plus any injured players and the practice squad.
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 2913
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


  • The Yugoslavian wrote:Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

    1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
    2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
    3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
    4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

    We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!


    Close to my opinion

    1. Re-sign Alan Branch
    2. Re-sign Kam Chancellor
    3. Sign FA CB or DT (Woodson or Seymore)
    Image
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2165
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • Thanks for the info, John! :th2thumbs:
    If you're walking on thin ice, you might as well dance.................................................Mom
    User avatar
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *
    * El Primo *
     
    Posts: 5559
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Skagit County, WA


  • Tech Worlds wrote:Yeh this is about where I had it pegged after doing my calculations.

    Yeah, when I threw my dart that's where it landed too.
    Richard Sherman doesn't just wanna get in your head, he wants to build a vacation home there.

    R. Sherman: "I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money & you go."
    User avatar
    SalishHawkFan
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4681
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:39 pm


  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    Hawkstorian wrote:Only the 1st 51 contracts count against the salary cap in the off-season, so most rookie deals don't fit into the top-51 and the ones that do bump another deal off the top-51. So even after we sign all our draft picks our cap space will only go down by a few hundred thousand.

    So our 'rookie pool' will be $4M or so but that doesn't mean we have to reserve an extra $4M of cap space.


    I will have to agree with John as this is my way understanding it as well.


    Bwaahaha! Stop already :les:
    User avatar
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2649
    Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm


  • Kam Chancellor seems to have been in slight decline. If they wait a year, they may be able to sign him cheaper. I think it's worth the risk to wait to sign Bam-Bam.
    Image
    User avatar
    Maelstrom787
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1364
    Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:38 pm
    Location: Delaware


  • Maelstrom787 wrote:Kam Chancellor seems to have been in slight decline. If they wait a year, they may be able to sign him cheaper. I think it's worth the risk to wait to sign Bam-Bam.


    I think Kam played hurt last season, more than we realized. He had surprise surgery right after the season ended.

    That more than anything explains his "decline".
    @SeahawkGreg

    Image

    "I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    User avatar
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *
     
    Posts: 7501
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:19 am
    Location: CVN-68


  • Hawkstorian wrote:I've been corresponding with the founder of one of the salary cap sites and apparently there was another adjustment just prior to free agency from the $13.2M figure that's been widely reported. In fact, the Seahawks got another $1M or so adjusted upward so our total cap is $137.2M. I've been posting updates in the stickied thread up top but I thought this was important enough to post by itself.

    Seahawks right now have about $6.5M in available space, even after rookies are signed they would have over $6M. Probably enough to sign another mid-level veteran and work out an extension with Chancellor if the parties are willing.


    I mentioned this in the other thread, but did he happen to mention where that extra came from? I had been wondering if the Redskins/Cowboys penalty was counted in the original number, as that was supposed to be dispersed amongst other teams to insure that enough money was being spent (per CBA rules). I am guessing that this may be that money
    :les:

    Image
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 13451
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • I wouldn't wait around and try to get too cute with Kam. He is due to bounce back and resume playing at his 2011 pro-bowl level. Plus, with our improved pass rush all the DB's should be even that much better. More plays and stats for Bam Bam more paper in his wallet this or next off season.

    I've read & heard from John, Pete, and even whoever ran into him at the ATL airport from these forums posted that Kam said they're working hard to get a deal done. I anticipate one very soon.
    Image

    Anyone want to make me a new signature? I've held out hope long enough.
    95% of the time I'm viewing here and/or posting is being done on a mobile device. Pardon any spelling, punctuation, or grammar mistakes.
    User avatar
    The Yugoslavian
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 879
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:45 am
    Location: Bellevue, WA


  • kidhawk wrote:I mentioned this in the other thread, but did he happen to mention where that extra came from? I had been wondering if the Redskins/Cowboys penalty was counted in the original number, as that was supposed to be dispersed amongst other teams to insure that enough money was being spent (per CBA rules). I am guessing that this may be that money


    I haven't heard anywhere that the Redskins/Cowboys situation had anything to do with it. It is just the final true up after going through all the previous year deals and considering lost incentives, etc. I didn't get specifics.
    _______________________
    Remember, it's all for fun.
    User avatar
    Hawkstorian
    * NET Staff *
     
    Posts: 2913
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:19 am
    Location: Spokane


  • Probably why JS mentioned now they were looking to some of our own extensions as a priority.

    Dang, this really is a well oiled machine in all aspects. Everything really is aligning for an incredible run this year.
    Hawks46
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3637
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm


  • Not to fuel speculation, but just reading between the lines on some of Kam's recent tweets, they might have hit a snag:


    Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
    NFL=Not For Long.... #Truth

    luke snitzler‏@Luke537724 Mar
    @Kam_Chancellor kam, can u promise to never leave the Seahawks? Ur my favorite player and I don't want to retire ur jersey
    Expand

    Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
    @Luke5377 not my call
    User avatar
    DavidSeven
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3766
    Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am


  • The Yugoslavian wrote:Great news. My wish list appears realistic then. I really really really want us to;

    1.) Sign Fred Davis, 1 year 1.2 mil deal
    2.) Re-sign Alan Branch
    3.) Sign Charles Woodson to play nickel & 3rd safety
    4.) Re-sign Kam "Bam-Bam" Chancellor

    We have the space to do all four and still sign the rookies. Let's make it happen!


    Davis is going to get more than 1.2 million, the Bills are looking at him right now.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1155
    Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:00 pm


  • DavidSeven wrote:Not to fuel speculation, but just reading between the lines on some of Kam's recent tweets, they might have hit a snag:


    Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
    NFL=Not For Long.... #Truth

    luke snitzler‏@Luke537724 Mar
    @Kam_Chancellor kam, can u promise to never leave the Seahawks? Ur my favorite player and I don't want to retire ur jersey
    Expand

    Kameron‏@Kam_Chancellor24 Mar
    @Luke5377 not my call


    The first quote is too out of context to have any idea. If I were to speculate he could easily be talking about the rules changes.

    The latter, sounds more to me like him just not wanting to say something that he can't guarantee. Even if he wants to remain a seahawk for life, there are too many variables that aren't in his control.

    I wouldn't Interpret either of those as some snag in any negotiations, and even if there are slow moving negotations, that's just par for the course this early in that type of situation. He's going to start high, they will start low, and given he's got a full season, not to mention most of this offseason, both sides could easily be patient with it. It's not really a priority at the moment.

    Personally, I believe they will extend him before the season starts, but not necessarily before the draft.
    :les:

    Image
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 13451
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK




It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Information