Pete: We wanted Wilson, even in the 2nd round

jkitsune

Reaction score
Man. I don't think, if I were that high on Wilson, that I could have risked waiting. Certainly don't know that I would have risked not trading up a few picks to get above teams like the Chiefs who were every bit as likely to take a QB. Glad it worked out, but yikes, what a gamble.

OP
OP
FlyingGreg

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
jkitsune":2gzpzrdu said:
Man. I don't think, if I were that high on Wilson, that I could have risked waiting. Certainly don't know that I would have risked not trading up a few picks to get above teams like the Chiefs who were every bit as likely to take a QB. Glad it worked out, but yikes, what a gamble.

I thought about that too reading that piece. Talk about nerve wracking.

rjdriver

Reaction score
What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in the war room on draft day. Sounds pretty intense. I remember many saying we could have waited even longer to grab Wilson. Glad we didn't tempt that theory.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
jkitsune":31dd810z said:

This is why JS and the front office are paid the big bucks. They know better than us where players are likely to be drafted. I believe Wilson was slotted as a 4th round pick or later in most mocks. I also heard Wilson's old coach at Wisconsin say on the radio that JS called him almost every day leading up to the draft to see if other teams had expressed strong interest. Their careful gaming got them Bobby Wagner and valuable contributors in later rounds.

And as many recall, Wilson was largely considered a "reach" at 75 on draft day.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
The whole Russell Wilson draft thing and him falling to the 3rd round reminds me of that scene from Money Ball. Where those old scouts are sitting around the table talking about a prospects girlfriend. On how attractive she was... because that reflects on his confidence... which is an indicator of his ability to play or something like that.

These old scouts and GM's get so caught up in details not related to 'can he play or can't he'?

Wilson is a baller, whether he was 5' 10 5/8'' or 6'5'', doesn't matter. And PCJS knew it, they saw right through all the nonsense.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3a87bq2i said:
Why not "even at our first pick"?
Schneider said in an interview he had to be talked out of taking Wilson in the 1st

RufusPorter

Reaction score
Hehe... some gold nuggets in the comments:

As a Ohio State fan, I was freakin’ terrified of Wilson. He had super poise and a contagious form of confidence that effected the whole Badger team. When he had the ball in the last few seconds of the game… I just walked away from my TV… I knew it was over. Much respect for this young man. 2012 NFL QB Rookie Class was the most exciting football I’ve seen overall for a long time. Wilson, Luck & RGIII.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Beeker":3h159s19 said:
Hehe... some gold nuggets in the comments:

As a Ohio State fan, I was freakin’ terrified of Wilson. He had super poise and a contagious form of confidence that effected the whole Badger team. When he had the ball in the last few seconds of the game… I just walked away from my TV… I knew it was over. Much respect for this young man. 2012 NFL QB Rookie Class was the most exciting football I’ve seen overall for a long time. Wilson, Luck & RGIII.

Profootballtalk comments are some of the craziest posters on the interwebz. I don't know what the deal is with people who comment there, but they are some of the most hilariously uninformed, ignorant, haters I've ever seen. I read the comments there for pure entertainment.

That one is pretty good Beeker, sorry went off on a tangent.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Did anyone read the comments? All the haters came out in droves. Most of the whiner fans sounded like complete imbeciles.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
One comment I love:

I don’t buy it. If they really liked a quarterback that much, they wouldn’t take a chance on missing out on him. Were they so arrogant that they didn’t think any other team could like him as much as they did?

Yep. And they were right. :mrgreen:

kearly

Reaction score
There were a lot of haters in there saying Pete's a liar because if he really wanted Wilson in the 1st or 2nd he would have just taken him there, ignoring the stated logic and obvious results of what Seattle actually did. Pretty stupid. There was a great comment in there that just nailed those idiots, I loved it:

Glad the armchair GMs willing to burn 1st round picks on players they could’ve got in the 3rd aren’t in charge of my team.

-The Glove-

Reaction score
It sounds like we're the new most hated team in the league. A lot of jealous, uneducated fans on that board.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
And it STILL would have been an incredible pick in the 2nd round. These guys got a 1st round talent in the 3rd round, unreal.

Latest posts