We can thank law suits for killing football

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprfunk

Reaction score
Look up the particulars of the rule. I don't think it will hurt him at all.

EastCoastHawksFan

Reaction score
Lynch will be fine , its not as dramatic as we once thought. I dont recall him ever really lowering his head and using his crown to run people over , ive seen him use his helmet but not his crown.

But to thank Jr seau for the rule change is absurd and I strongly disagree with that.

bellyfat

Reaction score
I am against the rule as well, but to the conjure up the name of dead man, who did a lot for football, and place the blame on him is pretty messed up. Goodell has been ruining the game long before Junior died and that whole story.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I'd rather blame his family, who are the ones that sued the NFL.

Winterfell

Reaction score
What's next?

No consumption of candy (particularly Skittles) on the sideline, or automatic safety given to the opposing team?

HawkFan72

Reaction score
You are still allowed to dip your head, lead with your shoulder, and hit with your head. You just cannot lower your head and spear the opponent.

Lynch still may be able to run the same way. The only thing we have to worry about is officials getting too flag-happy in the heat of the moment.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
People are WAY overreacting to this rule. The committee reviewed every play from last year and it would have been called less then 30 times total.

You're allowed to lower your head. Your allowed to lead with your face mask. You are not allowed to use the top of your helmet to spear your opponent.

I'm guessing if you watch football next year you won't notice any difference at all. And if you dont like it you always have the choice of not watching.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
bellyfat":1ozr8gw8 said:
I am against the rule as well, but to the conjure up the name of dead man, who did a lot for football, and place the blame on him is pretty messed up. Goodell has been ruining the game long before Junior died and that whole story.

Blame the owners. NFL commissioners do what the owners want them to.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1ssc9vlf said:
bellyfat":1ssc9vlf said:

Blame the owners. NFL commissioners do what the owners want them to.
And they all are doing every bit of this to avoid further lawsuits in the future. The threat of litigation motivates a LOT of things in this society/country.

hawker84

Reaction score
my worry is not the actual rule, but the ref's calling it on the field in real time.. just like the Kam hit on Davis... it's almost a automatic reaction to reach for a flag when you see a player get leveled and especially when the head snaps back.... if it's not reviewable, it's going to be a problem...

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawker84":c22qpybp said:
my worry is not the actual rule, but the ref's calling it on the field in real time.. just like the Kam hit on Davis... it's almost a automatic reaction to reach for a flag when you see a player get leveled and especially when the head snaps back.... if it's not reviewable, it's going to be a problem...

No different then holding, or pass interference, or any other rule. Refs are human. Sometimes the screw up.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
JSeahawks":11keb0ii said:
People are WAY overreacting to this rule. The committee reviewed every play from last year and it would have been called less then 30 times total.

You're allowed to lower your head. Your allowed to lead with your face mask. You are not allowed to use the top of your helmet to spear your opponent.

I'm guessing if you watch football next year you won't notice any difference at all. And if you dont like it you always have the choice of not watching.

Don't try and talk reason into our mass hysteria.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I don't understand the freaking out over this. Has the game really changed that much since the 90s? In high school we were taught very explicitly to not initiate contact with the top of the helmet - on both sides of the ball. Maybe pros have just gotten lazy recently, but what the hell happened to running over an opponent with your shoulder?

By some people's take, the game was being ruined at the same time it was being taught to me in 9th grade. I don't get it.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
We will be penalized for it a minimum of 5 times next year. Still like it?

Status
Not open for further replies.