well they pass the new rule leading with crown...

Darrenv17

Reaction score
of helmet will be a penalty. :141847_bnono: :141847_bnono:

Here is the LINK to NFL.com that carries a better explanation of the rule that has everybody up in arms right now. Watch and listen to the video on that page it explains from the committee where they are going with it, and it’s great if you ask me.

Listen, as a fan I understand the complaint on this rule. But I don’t think the rule is being understood all that well. It’s not that a running back cannot attack a defender, even with his helmet leading into the defender. For example the Marshawn run featured above would not be a penalty… ever!

The rule (should) come into effect only in those rare instances when there is a 1-on-1, non-imminent collision in the open field (outside of the tackle box) and the running back launches himself to the chin/face of the defender. He doesn’t have to leave the ground, but when the back intentionally uses the CROWN OF HIS HELMET to dislodge the defender. It also protects (to some extent) defenders that are easing up, trying to avoid a late hit on the sidelines.

Basically that rare hit that everyone would cringe at and say “GOD that was dangerous, I hope either player is ok” (again OUTSIDE of the tackle box) is what the League is trying to eliminate. The problem with lowering your head is that it completely exposes your vertebrae and paralysis becomes a major possibility with momentum, especially if you get pulled to the ground and your neck is still bent downward. Trying to eliminate that to an extent is something I’m all for! But even in the instance of little Jacquizz Rodgers truck-sticking Earl Thomas in the NFC Divisional game, it wouldn’t be a penalty, because it happened inside the tackle box.

I don’t believe I’ve seen a Marshawn hit yet that should be called a penalty under the new rule. He uses his helmet but rarely in a 1-on-1 situation in the open field. He’d rather hit you with his entire upper body, run you over and keep trucking down the field. That should be entirely legal in all instances, according to the clarification by the league officials, as stated in that video. It’s also been stated that in a situation where the running back is trying to get across the goal line or the first down marker or taking on multiple defenders, unless it’s INTENTIONAL it should not be called. It’s supposed to save a “defenseless” defender from receiving an UNNECESSARY facial that could result in injury. If it’s a necessary maneuver it’s supposed to be deemed “incidental”.

A play that you could point to as a penalty under this new rule would be back in the Chicago/Seattle game, when Michael Robinson (FB) caught a ball in the flats and ducked his head, knocking out the defender on the sideline

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
Yep. Goodell is turning the NFL into touch-football. I am about ready to quit watching this game. Seriously.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
It sounded like that topic was table yesterday and there won't be a vote. Is this incorrect?

lukerguy

Reaction score
There were only two new rules passes yesterday and neither were the one the OP suggested.

edogg23

Reaction score
Hope they come to their senses and vote that one down. This is rediculous.

sa_seahawker

Reaction score
This is like telling the Army they can't shoot armor piercing bullets, cause it may hurt someone. It's football. It's a sad day when the Lingerie League is making harder hits.

CANHawk

Reaction score
If the type of hit in question is so incredibly rare, why even have a rule for it? It just sounds like like something a dumbshit ref would misunderstand and make the wrong call at a terrible time. Like the tuck rule.

I bet Mike Carey can't wait to call it though so he can look hella smart.

Brahn

Reaction score
New Rule passes the year the Hawks should go to the Superbowl....... Ya, no Hawks fan should fear this biting us in the butt.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
To me, the NFLPA is the driving force behind this rule, not the NFL or the commissioner. The NFLPA has been beating the player safety drum for some time now, they even want their own doctors on the sidelines because they don't trust team doctors to properly clear players. Plus with all the lawsuits from former players...what was the NFL supposed to do other than to "limit" injuries?

I don't blame the NFL for this one bit, I blame the NFLPA

Teqneek

Reaction score
Can we wait till the rule passes before we post completely false information? In no article I read could I even come to half a conclusion that rule was passed yesterday.

It is being voted on today.

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
How about marshawns first td vs the 49ers in Seattle last year and one of his first runs vs them in san fran last year?

Cartire

Reaction score
heres what I dont get. How many times in the last 6 years have a RB 1-on-1 launched himself into a defender? Maybe once? And how many defenders have been hurt by this launching? Maybe 1?

Its a pointless rule that will add more interpretation from teh refs, and give them more ability to control games the way they see fit.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":2d648nzg said:
How about marshawns first td vs the 49ers in Seattle last year and one of his first runs vs them in san fran last year?
I read that under this rules, only 2 or 3 plays from last year would have been flagged. I don't think people understand what this rule is which is why some are making it into a big deal.

It's offensive spearing outside the tackle box. Yes, players can still lower their shoulders and brace for contact.

themunn

Reaction score
sa_seahawker":2vgz7nu1 said:
This is like telling the Army they can't shoot armor piercing bullets, cause it may hurt someone. It's football. It's a sad day when the Lingerie League is making harder hits.

It's hardly the same. It's not only dangerous for the player being speared, but the running back too. There's no reason for it in football. Lynch uses a stiff arm or pure brute strength to run players over so it won't affect him

It won't stop him from doing his thing:
seahawks3.gif

and

Also, it will lead to less helmet to helmet collisions. If the RB leads with his head it forces the defender to get even lower to make the tackle. Think of the number of times Kam was fined in 2011 for this very problem.

Teqneek

Reaction score
themunn":q0d8gax4 said:
sa_seahawker":q0d8gax4 said:

It's hardly the same. It's not only dangerous for the player being speared, but the running back too. There's no reason for it in football. Lynch uses a stiff arm or pure brute strength to run players over so it won't affect him

It won't stop him from doing his thing:
seahawks3.gif

and

Also, it will lead to less helmet to helmet collisions. If the RB leads with his head it forces the defender to get even lower to make the tackle. Think of the number of times Kam was fined in 2011 for this very problem.

He dropped his head... Looks like what its intending to stop?

sa_seahawker

Reaction score
So much for the goal line fullback dive. That move leads with the crown of the helmet too.

Cartire

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":1p5c3ev0 said:
StaffAmerica74":1p5c3ev0 said:
I read that under this rules, only 2 or 3 plays from last year would have been flagged. I don't think people understand what this rule is which is why some are making it into a big deal.

It's offensive spearing outside the tackle box. Yes, players can still lower their shoulders and brace for contact.

That seems fine until you have refs calling the penalty in real-time. To many plays will get flagged because its to fast and the refs will flag it regardless. To many huge plays have been reversed because of flags. See Kam hit on Davis for an example. All were doing is giving the refs more opinionated control of the game.

This has way to much conspiracy written into it, but I truly think that money talks. And with the amount of money that football betting brings in, you would be stupid not to assume that some of these refs cant be bought. And you would also be stupid to not assume, that some of these rules are in place just to give the refs some extra ability at controlling games.

kidhawk

Reaction score
sa_seahawker":3a35m9me said:
So much for the goal line fullback dive. That move leads with the crown of the helmet too.

Dives are ALWAYS between the tackles, and this rule is only OUTSIDE the tackles. It doesn't change this one bit. This is for OPEN FIELD situations, not BUNCHED up groups.

Latest posts