Pro Football Focus WR stats 1st down/TDs, rates per target..

ivotuk

Reaction score
Some good information on who is getting the most first downs and touchdowns, Calvin Johnson is #1 with 95 of them.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/18/signature-stats-first-downs-touchdowns-wr/

The 1st down/TD percentage vs targets with Brandon Gibson leading the pack, Sidney coming in at #10

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/18/sig-stats-first-down-touchdown-conversions-wrs/

The 1st down/TD per route run, check out #2 :D

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/03/18/sig-stats-first-downs-touchdowns-per-route-run-wrs/

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Interesting. From that data, Baldwin did better than Tate at making the most of his catches. I wondered, however, how often a receiver got targeted per route he ran. To me that says how often he gets open, because even though he may be open and another receiver gets the ball, the QB is going to his primary receiver first and the guy IS the primary receiver because he gets open more often.

Player.......Routes Ran......Targets.....% Targets/Routes Ran
Harvin......261..................81.............31%
Rice..........422,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,75............18%
Tate...........378.................65.............17%
Baldwin........233...............49..............21%

Obviously, it's apples to oranges because Harvin played for a different team. However, the only receiver on the Vikes whom I could get the data on was Michael Jenkins and his T/R % was 17%. He was the 3rd leading receiver on the team and his stats are equivalent to what the Seahawks receivers have.

Two things to bear in mind: Harvin did this while playing only 9 games. the guy gets open. Secondly, Baldwin was also injured much of last year and he also gets open, though not at Harvin's rate.

To take it a bit further, I decided to compare 2011 Harvin to 2011 Baldwin. A year in which both were healthy and neither had Wilson throwing to them.
Harvin....390 routes....123 targets....32%
Baldwin...354 routes....86 targets....24%

Which tells us that Harvin gets open a LOT and of Seahawks receivers, when healthy, Baldwin was the receiver who got open most often. Despite this, both Tate and Rice were ranked much higher than Harvin or Baldwin last year by Football Outsiders. In fact, both Tate and Rice's FO ratings were higher than anything Harvin or Baldwin have ever acheived.

In other words, we've got a badass WR crew :)

Hawks46

Reaction score
I wouldn't read too much into Harvin's %targets/routes ran.

Harvin gets the ball on a lot of bubble screens and underneath drag routes, where he can get the ball quickly and get into space. It goes to show how dangerous he is that the Vikes got him the ball quickly, regardless of coverage or separation many times, but those are high % passes and it could scew those numbers a bit.

Latest posts