Huge Step Forward, Huge Step Back.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Every year there are players who take their talents in different directions. Sometimes it's the scheme, sometimes they just lose it/get it.

Who are your picks for HSF and HSB?

My picks:

HSF: Wagner
HSB: Doug Baldwin

McGruff

Reaction score
Don't know how Baldwein can go backward from a disappointing 2012.

Forward . . . Irvin
Backward . . . Giacomini

Hawknight

Reaction score
SonicHawk":2a7xagcy said:
Every year there are players who take their talents in different directions. Sometimes it's the scheme, sometimes they just lose it/get it.

My picks:

Russel Wilson: 40 Yards Forward

Pete Carrol: Takes a step back and just lets his team do their thing

:sarcasm_off:

sainthawk29

Reaction score
HSF: Big Red, it was Quinn that moved him to DE in the first place. He will be healthy, and with the D-Line as it stands now he will be a force again.

HSB: I really can't see anyone that fits into this catagory. Baldwin will get less targets, but only caught 30 balls last year anyway... not huge.

This time is too young and the scheme isn't going to be changed enough that it will put players out of position.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Forward: James Carpenter, Zach Miller, Golden Tate
Backward: Bruce Irvin, Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane

Carp doesn't have to do much to move forward. It all hinges on being healthy obviously. But in his limited healthy play, he was pretty dominant. In my mind, all he needs to do is pretty much play 8 games and it should be a massive move forward.

I felt Zach Miller was ascending his game as Wilson started to become a more dynamic/attacking passer. The offensive line is now solid enough that he can be liberally used in the passing game. His production last year coincided with Russell's elevation of his play in the last 8 weeks of the season. I see that continuing. I also see a reduction in 2 TE formations this year with the arrival of Harvin. So Zach is going to be featured much more prominently as an everydown TE.

Tate really had a great year. And more than that, Russell's passer rating when targetting Tate was outstanding. In virtually every passing zone (short/med/long and right, middle, left). Tate was amazingly consistent and clearly he and Russell have achieved a high degree of trust. Normally, one would expect Harvin's arrival to vamp opportunity from existing receivers. But this offense isn't about the quantity of targets. But the quality. The target numbers are very modest. Tate is the kind of WR who can really maximize limited targets. Especially if coverages are going to focus on Harvin. He might get 15 less targets, but each reception is going to be with much looser coverage. Tate can turn that into huge YAC.

Irvin is a guy who just got put on notice. We needed pass rush in 2012. We spent a first on Irvin. That didn't solve our woes. We need pass rush in 2013 (again). We just got 2 DEs (Bennett being DT/DE). But Avril looks like a direct competitor to Irvin once Clemons comes back. If he doesn't, it's assumed here that we will draft/trade for a LEO. Every time Pete or John talk about Irvin, it's tight lipped coach speak. He's developing. They're happy with him. But our moves belie that public facade.

The look on Pete's face, and the tone in his voice after the Atlanta game when Irvin failed spectacularly to be even a semblance of a LEO, instead of 'the ideal LEO' can't be discounted. These moves look like the moves of a guy that doesn't trust his DE. We can slap a LB jersey on Avril. Try and obfuscate his role. But Avril is an outside speed rusher. That's really all he is. He is equally bad at defending the run. He is in essence, Bruce Irvin. In almost every way. Either Irvin elevates his game or he's playing special teams. Because there is one position and 2 identical guys now competing for it.

Bryant/Mebane. Age. Lack of depth. History of sapping injury. This team hasn't invested in either position in years. Branch is still unsigned. Even if he comes back, our bigs need to have a youth infusion. With a guy(s) capable of being trusted to play significant snaps.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I know he wasnt on the team last year but we are going to witness the absolute potential of Percy Harvin this season. His fit in our offense is perfect for his talents and skill set.

He was a potential MVP candidate on a team with a great running game but no ability to spread the field last year.... this year?

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Huge step forward- Irvin, Carpenter, Wagner, Turbin

I think all of these guys are going to have really solid years. Carpenter is on the Max Unger Career path. If you recall Unger struggled out of position at Guard as a rookie (juast as James did at RT), 2nd year Unger injures a toe is lost for the year (Carpenter, played great at Guard but was shutdown to get fully healthy) year 3 Unger becomes a very good Center-- Let's hope year 3 Carpenter takes that next step and becomes the solidifying force on the left side.
Irvin is going to improve with more time in the weight room and furthrer technique development. JPP exploded in his 2nd year. I could see Irvin have a similar impact. Wagner was great, but can improve. Turbin, I think will really earn a bigger role. he was explosive at times. (see plays made in the ATL game) I think he'll score his first NFL TD this year.

As for the step back, I think Clemmons due to the injury as well as McCoy. I think there's a chance we bring in a draft pick and he takes some of the snaps away from McCoy.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SonicHawk":6ofg9qiq said:

My picks:

Didn't Baldwin already take a HSB last year?

My votes:

HSF: Irvin
HSB: Tate

If Harvin stays healthy all year, Tate's gonna have a hard time finding balls. Sure the offense is going to throw more with Percy, but it's still going to be a 50/50 balanced offense, which means 25-30 passes. Going to be hard for Golden with so many other weapons on the field.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
HSF: Russell Wilson- he will cement himself as a top 5 QB starting game 1 this year with the leash off.

HSB: Brandon Browner and Golden Tate- Browner due to him being one year older, being off whatever supplemts he was taking that resulted in his suspension, and being targeted more because teams won't throw at Sherman. Tate because Harvin will be getting more targets, Baldwin is healthy and willl steal catches as a 4th WR, and I think TE will become a more targeted position this season wiht Zach Miller's coming out party in the playoffs and a potential new #2 TE from the draft or the 6'7 basketball player Fells getting some targets.

themunn

Reaction score
Baldwin will more likely take a huge step forward than back, he'll get less snaps than last year, but with so many weapons on the field there's only so many people you can cover and he's likely to be the odd man out, all those throws to Martin/Kearse/Edwards last year will go to Baldwin this year and he's better than all 3 combined

IBleedBlueAndGreen

Reaction score
HSF - Zach Miller (I think there is a chance for 8+ touchdowns for him next season with the offense getting a little more spread out)

HSB - Red Bryant (I see his playing time diminishing next season with the recent additions)

JKent82

Reaction score
onanygivensunday":27p5a5b1 said:
HSF - Seattle's Offense and Defense

HSB - the rest of the NFL

Damn you! I was gonna say that!

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
I think RW takes a huge step back...

...to avoid an incoming pass-rusher, and then he takes a few huge steps forward for a first down.

kearly

Reaction score
Forward:

Wilson: 90 QB rating in first 8 games, 110 QB rating over final 10 games. And now he has Harvin.
Turbin: He seemed to be picking up Cable's system better in the 2nd half of the year.
Sweezy: Improved throughout the season and has very high upside.

Back:

Clemons: ACL hangover
Avril: Will probably see a drop in reps and a correlating drop in production.
Bennett. Won't be as productive at 3-tech as he'd be at the 5-tech spot. Great player, but I don't expect 9 sacks from him this year.

AndyOswald10

Reaction score
Huge Step Forward: Russell Wilson.
Huge Step Back: Golden Tate.

Russell already had a great rookie year, but I see him getting even better in his 2nd year with the weapons he has to throw to, and the ultimate security blanket that is Marshawn Lynch behind him. I look for Russell to go from being in the conversation about best rookie QB last year to flat out distancing himself from the others. Luck is always going to have better stats, but Russell already the only one with a playoff win, and I think he is going to lead us to more this season too.

Golden had probably his best year of his career last year, and established himself as the playmaking WR out of the group. He caught everything thrown his way and was a beast after the catch, he proved he is willing to put his neck on the line to get into the endzone. And then the Seahawks went and got Percy Harvin. A guy that does everything Golden can do, only better. Sidney will benefit being opposite Harvin but while Golden could still have a decent year, it would be considered a step backwards after his career year last year.