Gotta give credit where credit is due...

Rotoki521

Reaction score
I remembered when we fired Jim Mora and basically hit the destruct button on this franchise. That there were rumblings that the Hawks were looking at bringing in a coach that seemed to be a trendy or a Coach with a name if you will. That was when we started to hear that Tod Leiweke was down in LA and making a push to get Pete Carroll. Then, Leslie Frazier didn't want to come to Seattle because he thought we were just trying to work the Rooney Rule. Even though I didn't believe that was the case. I thought Leslie Frazier was a good coach, but I just don't think he is a Head Coach. I just remember thinking Frazier, Carroll and the rest of the bunch didn't make me excited. I just remember that I want Tony Dungy. Regardless, Tod Leiweke had the vision and brought in Carroll. I have to give a big round of applause to Tod Leiweke. If it weren't for this man and Paul Allen's trust in Leiweke... We would not have the St. Pete and St. John that we have now. We have a model Front Office. Something that the rest of the league is starting to take notice and starting to emulate. Tod saw something that the rest didn't and made a move that takes some balls. I feel like we wouldn't be where we are if it weren't for Tod. Just sayin...

Hawknballs

Reaction score
pretty funny that 'Pete the Cheat' who can't win in the NFL and who's "player's coach" style would never work is now the head coach of the model that NFL franchises around the league want to emulate.

ignorance transforms into jealousy.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
I said it before, I'll say it again. Hiring Pete Carroll may go down as the best decision this franchise ever made. It already might be in the Top 5.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Good mention, OP. It was a great, risky hire by Leiweke. I hear he's doing just as well down in Tampa Bay (?) running the hockey team there. Attendance is way up and they are a much, improved team.

ivotuk

Reaction score
If we are going to give credit where due, I give credit to Brian McIntyre for being the first to push John Schneider as the up and coming GM that the Seahawks should hire. I don't know if Brian pushing John is what got him noticed, or if it was in any way influential, but I know I got excited about it just reading the articles and have to say the McIntyre was on the money. Brian's a smart man with great insight, and that is probably why he writes for NFL.com now. :th2thumbs:

12th_Bob

Reaction score
What I find hilarious about the entire "Pete can't pull that college stuff in an NFL locker room", "it failed in New York, and New England", etc. Well, Kraft is saying if Pete had more time he could of turned it around and honestly, what doesn't work in New York with the Jets is probably do to the Jets being one of the worst organizations in the NFL at present time (although adding Idzik is helping). So, maybe this "college" players coach way can work better than the NFL way?

Anyway, I'm glad Pete took the job and I wasn't sure we would be sitting here today after the hire but damn have these moves delivered.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I fully endorsed this hiring from the outset.

There was lots of back and forth, Frank discussion before we chose Pete. It was a watershed moment for us.

PatsFanNH

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2owcxi1g said:
pretty funny that 'Pete the Cheat' who can't win in the NFL and who's "player's coach" style would never work is now the head coach of the model that NFL franchises around the league want to emulate.

A lot of great coaches fail on their first time out. A good example would be BB who failed in Cleveland and like Carroll was labeled as someone who could never win in the NFL as a HC and well look at him now on his way to the HOF as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Sometimes failing the best thing to make you successful. I think Carroll is showing this to be so true as well.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":u5ifpxbn said:
Hawknballs":u5ifpxbn said:

A lot of great coaches fail on their first time out. A good example would be BB who failed in Cleveland and like Carroll was labeled as someone who could never win in the NFL as a HC and well look at him now on his way to the HOF as one of the greatest coaches of all time.

Sometimes failing the best thing to make you successful. I think Carroll is showing this to be so true as well.

Amazing what happens with a HOF QB and thousands of reams of video tape.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I'll admit it: I didn't like the move at the time. Specifically, I didn't like hiring a coach before we had a GM in place, and I was concerned that Paul Allen just wanted to hire the biggest "name" coach he could find. For the most part I have been very pleasantly surprised at the results ever since.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Hawknballs":g6bc2k7z said:

Yeah, people latch on to terms they hear in the media, and that becomes their personal views on the subject. Once someone gets a label on them, it's hard to shake that label, but they've managed.

One thing I think... is that Pete was never really given a very good shot in the nfl before. he got fired awefully quick from both of his previous tenures at headcoach because of impatient front offices who weren't willing to wait.

So yeah, thank god for Tod, and Paul Allen, and everyone who said "lets see what this guy and this young gm can do together, and we'll just stay out of their way". It's amazing.

Incredible times we're in.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":nj25buzy said:
Hawknballs":nj25buzy said:

I know I know that for myself many times over. So very true, and I think Pete's positive "ra ra" style is something he has developed and has evolved as he has coached. I think what we are seeing is proof positive that the grouchy gruff disciplinarian coaching style, while it can be effective, isn't as effective as getting guys to believe in a more positive way.

Obviously these guys are pros, not college kids and there are some difference in style I am sure, but Pete is a very experienced coach and he's learned from his mistakes and gotten "on his game" professionally.

I always have to laugh when I hear 9er fans talk of how they have better coaching; excuse me but WHAT?!? You don't rotate your defense (and you wonder why you lose to injury), the guy sits Richard Sherman down back at Stanford cuz he gets hurt once and he's pissed at him, the guy has to switch to defense to get back on the field (and thank you for that Jim). Look at how he handled Alex Smith who was playing well and he gave the job and had so much faith in! He whines about any call that doesn't go his way, he is a dick to the Lions coach after a win, almost starts a fight. I'm not gonna go as far to say that Harbaugh is a bad coach, obviously that isn't the case, but I think he has more strikes against him, does some things very badly and I firmly believe in the coming years Pete will prove himself to be a MUCH better coach than Harbaugh and have more success, and we'll all see it. I sure hope so, but from what I've seen thus far all signs point there. Most of all, I think Pete learns from his mistakes better than Harby.

ivotuk

Reaction score
PatsFanNH":3716wrg7 said:

Belicheck didn't fail in Cleveland. He kicked ass in 1994 going 11-5 and the Browns were favored to win it all in 1995 but that idiot Modell told them at the beginning of 1995 that he was moving the team to Baltimore "in order to win a championship." Dumbass might have won it in 1995 if he hadn't sabotaged his own team, but their record that year made it easier to leave, so maybe that was his intent.

StaffAmerica74

Reaction score
Pete never really had enough time to prove himself in NE or NYJ. Just think if we would have fired him after his 2nd season here... his reputation wouldn't have changed but everyone here watching the situation closely knows that he improved the team imenssely going from 2010-1011 even though the record stayed the same.

SE174

Reaction score
StaffAmerica74":18licqhn said:
Pete never really had enough time to prove himself in NE or NYJ. Just think if we would have fired him after his 2nd season here... his reputation wouldn't have changed but everyone here watching the situation closely knows that he improved the team imenssely going from 2010-1011 even though the record stayed the same.
And thank goodness that he didn't. Being fired by the Jets and Pats led to him taking a year off to reflect and develop his "Always Compete" mantra, which he implemented with great success at USC and now here in Seattle.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
I loved it ... But remember many hawk fans hating the move.....kinda like Russell Wilson. Feels good to know I have never been a hater. Can't imagine how those must feel that doubted.

rjdriver

Reaction score
I remember I wanted to bring back the Walrus as a GM/president. How dumb would that have been? I'm too loyal to be in the football business. Jon and Pete seem to be the model that most other teams aspire to have.