Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:26 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12371
Location: Anchorage, AK
Uncle Si wrote:
I meant it more as an overall.... all of this stuff is open for discussion and none of it means anything until Sundays in September. it just seems every thread has a "lets not get carried away." or "cant we wait until the games?" as if over excitement (whether positive or negative) on a message board will somehow effect the outcomes of those games.


That's exactly what I was agreeing with. We should be able to discuss how we feel about the team here. None of it matters here, even in September we are all here discussing opinions. Some opinions will be more popular others less so, and even others will be dumber than dumb, but that's how you get through the days there are no games, and those are many in the offseason

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:50 pm
Posts: 594
I commented saying:

"As a Hawks fan, I agree with Niner fans that this ranking doesn't mean anything. After all, Niners were #1 right before the Hawks smacked 'em down 42-13."

8 likes so far, woohoo!

_________________
Image
"I'm not the type to let a sleeping giant lie. I wake up the giant, slap him around, make him mad and beat him to the ground. I talk a big game because I carry a big stick." --- All-Pro Stanford Graduate


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:35 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:01 pm
Posts: 3181
I take it with a grain of salt. We look at what time of year it is, and when the power rankings came out. This is about who is looking best towards the end of FA when most of the impact players are signed somewhere.

The Hawks retained most of their team and pretty much all of their starters but Branch, and that was on purpose. We've "won" FA by signing the highest rated free agents that addressed our greatest areas of need, and we didn't over pay for them. We also added an offensive weapon that is one of the tougher matchups in the league, fits our system perfectly, and gave our biggest division rival fits the last time they played.

I don't take any stock in it, but it's hard to disagree with any of the top 4 -5 teams being interchangeable at this point.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
Posts: 12371
Location: Anchorage, AK
Hawks46 wrote:
I don't take any stock in it, but it's hard to disagree with any of the top 4 -5 teams being interchangeable at this point.


I really think that these "power polls" no matter if taken now or in week 17, you can really bunch them off in groupings. As you said, any of the top 4 are interchangeable, and if you watch throughout the season, it's not uncommon to see the #1 team drop down a few notches every few weeks. I believe this can be said for the poll as a whole. You can take any group of 4-6 teams in the same part of the poll and likely find them quite interchangeable. The poll itself doesn't MEAN anything, but it can make for some interesting discussion topics.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:45 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:48 am
Posts: 349
I'd swap the Falcons and Packers. No way Atlanta should be in the top 5.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 am 
* NET Eeyore *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
Posts: 10475
Location: Pasco, WA
Man I really hope we can live up to these expectations on the field. We cannot have a letdown!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:52 pm
Posts: 1292
Location: Tri-Cities, WA
I take no stock in power rankings. I'm sure it will change after the draft anyway.

_________________
"I don't know what you're talking about." GT


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:54 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:36 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Spanaway, WA
Dang...now this board has nothing to look forward to! We have come to the end! Nothing else to read or say anymore! :sarcasm_off:

(BTW...if you stay on that page long enough, it will just about freeze your Internet connection with all of the user comments flowing in.)

_________________
Image
"Make good teams look bad and make bad teams look terrible!" -Michael Robinson


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:37 am 
NET Bench Warmer
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:22 pm
Posts: 28
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ncy-frenzy


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am 
* Gangnameister *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:29 pm
Posts: 11083
Location: PoCompton, BC Canada
I kinda miss East Coast Bias sometimes...

...wait a minute. No I don't! This is AWESOME!!! Somebody wheel Areatha Franklin's fat ass in here! "R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Pehawk please stop touching me, R-E-S-P-E-C-T, Seahawks win the NFC, ohh!"

_________________
I <3 Nunchucks


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:22 pm
Posts: 3870
Location: Tri Cities, WA
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100000 ... ncy-frenzy


:stirthepot:

_________________
World Champs - Sounds good don't it


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:14 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3090
hawker84 wrote:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000151885/article/nfl-power-rankings-49ers-claim-no-1-amid-free-agency-frenzy


:stirthepot:


Those are just the rankings of one dude. I agree this rankings business is silly, but at least ESPN's is a consensus of four regional bloggers and Clayton. Much better snapshot of national perception.

This guy has the Ravens at #5, ahead of the Packers and Falcons, after they essentially blew up their team this off-season. Ridiculous.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:18 am 
* Capt'n Dom *
* Capt'n Dom *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
Posts: 8817
Location: Granite Falls, WA
Don't like this. Seams too much too fast.

Wish we didn't have the spot light focused on us until we actually won the whole damn thing.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:20 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
NFC West is the highest rated division. Even with the Cardinals ranked at 29. Three teams in the top 15. It's a far cry from 3-4 years ago when we were the butt of a lot of jokes. That's what I love


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:30 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
I wish the Niners were ranked #1. I want to beat them while they are the consensus number one. And frankly, I think they deserve it. They had a great record last year against a tough schedule with some very high quality road wins. They go into Atlanta and win the NFCCG and come within a few yards of winning the SB.

Fast forward to the offseason and they don't lose a ton, sign a quality veteran WR, and have 14 picks in a deep draft in which to replace people they do lose and add some depth in other areas such as their defensive backfield.

I hate them as much as anyone here (as in loathe) but I give credit where credit is due. I'm glad they're good. These battles are going to be epic. The games are months away, but I can guarantee you I'm going to need a concoction of Unisom, Ambien, and Patrón to sleep the night before those two SEA-SF games.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:35 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:15 am
Posts: 3090
rjdriver wrote:
I wish the Niners were ranked #1. I want to beat them while they are the consensus number one.


That happened last year. And it was glorious.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am 
NET Starter
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:48 am
Posts: 349
rjdriver wrote:
I wish the Niners were ranked #1. I want to beat them while they are the consensus number one. And frankly, I think they deserve it. They had a great record last year against a tough schedule with some very high quality road wins. They go into Atlanta and win the NFCCG and come within a few yards of winning the SB.

Fast forward to the offseason and they don't lose a ton, sign a quality veteran WR, and have 14 picks in a deep draft in which to replace people they do lose and add some depth in other areas such as their defensive backfield.

I hate them as much as anyone here (as in loathe) but I give credit where credit is due. I'm glad they're good. These battles are going to be epic. The games are months away, but I can guarantee you I'm going to need a concoction of Unisom, Ambien, and Patrón to sleep the night before those two SEA-SF games.



I hope the 49ers win 11-12 games next year (as long as they don't beat us). There is no team I'd rather play in the NFCCG than them. Great dynasties are built on rivalries.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:56 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
Posts: 9826
therealjohncarlson wrote:
We're too high. We didn't even make it to the NFC championship game and need to prove it first before being called #1. The highest we should be is #3 imo

We are fans we can get too high, we are not playing on the field. Take it with a grain of salt if it bothers you.

_________________
42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS century, deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:03 pm 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 5417
Location: Magnolia, Texas
The Seahawks have NEVER started the season in the number one spot in the rankings, even after the Superbowl showing. That following year, the Steelers started in the top rankings spot. We did, however, rule the number 1 spot for weeks leading up to SB40.

That being said, I echo what many have already said, and agree that this truly means nothing beyond some learned sportswriters finally looking past the Mason-Dixon line for their data.

It is amazing what effect the signing of arguably the best available free-agent in the league has on the whole deal.

_________________
"God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:09 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:29 pm
Posts: 1181
Rather be flying under the radar, stealthy-like.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:10 pm 
* Mr Random Thought *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 9816
IMO, Bennett and Avril were top 5 free agents. If Harvin was a free agent, he would have probably been #1. So it's a bit like we added 3 of the top 5 players out there, all at areas that we needed help at. I think most people recognize that Seattle was the NFL's best team by the end of the season- crushing the 49ers mercilessly pretty much decided it. Seattle was around the very top of the Vegas odds before FA- and were by far the most bet on team. Any other team at #1 would look pretty stupid right now, honestly.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:40 pm 
NET Rookie
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:22 am
Posts: 212
Man, I absolutely love being considered one of the elite teams in the NFL. I've been a Seattle sports fan for 25 years and the only time I felt we had an elite franchise was the mid 90s Sonics. They threw up on themselves when they had a Jordan-less NBA and ran into the best team in history when it all finally clicked.

That's the complete list of my teams that I felt were as good as anyone else in their league for half a decade.

THIS Seahawks team is in the best position of any Seattle sports franchise in the last quarter century. Players want to play here. Analysts and media acknowledge how well run and talented they are. Opponents respect them.

We have a chance to be the dominant team of this decade. For real. Youth, drive and talent. In the front office and on the field.

I say enjoy the expectations. There has never been as much focus on a Seattle sports franchise as there will be this year with this team. They have the perfect makeup to not only handle the spotlight, but to thrive under it.

GO HAWKS!!!

_________________
"If I were Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Flynn, I'd be leery of this kid because if you give him a chance, if you give him a chance and look past his 5 foot 11 or 5-10 and a half or whatever it is, if you give this kid a legitimate chance to win the job, he'll win it" - John Gruden


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:06 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2766
I agree with the rankings. I disagree with the poster who said the Niners didn't really lose anyone in FA and they signed a good receiver. They did get a good receiver but lost both their starting and back up nose tackle, a good #2 TE, a probowl safety who was the best player in their secondary and Manningham will be lucky to have any impact this season the way he tore up his knee.

I don't know how yoy can't think the Niners have some glaring holes. Two/thirds of their receiving core will be new along with a new nose tackle and safety of which neither look to be on the team currently.

Seattle lost Jason Jones who was good when healthy but was rarely healthy and couldn't be relied on. We brought in his replacement and a good DE and a dynamic playmaker in Harvin that perfectly fits description of "tilts the field". I don't see any area we are worse and a couple we are better. Add in how strong we were to end season and it makes sense.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:55 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am
Posts: 3081
This is pretty meaningless and I love it because its already getting under my niners friends skin! GO HAWKS!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
RichNhansom wrote:
I agree with the rankings. I disagree with the poster who said the Niners didn't really lose anyone in FA and they signed a good receiver. They did get a good receiver but lost both their starting and back up nose tackle, a good #2 TE, a probowl safety who was the best player in their secondary and Manningham will be lucky to have any impact this season the way he tore up his knee.

I don't know how yoy can't think the Niners have some glaring holes. Two/thirds of their receiving core will be new along with a new nose tackle and safety of which neither look to be on the team currently.

Seattle lost Jason Jones who was good when healthy but was rarely healthy and couldn't be relied on. We brought in his replacement and a good DE and a dynamic playmaker in Harvin that perfectly fits description of "tilts the field". I don't see any area we are worse and a couple we are better. Add in how strong we were to end season and it makes sense.


Sure. Good Points. I also think we are the best team in the NFL. I just disagree with Kearly that it is "stupid" to consider anyone else at #1. I just think the Niners are as deserving as a preseason number 1 ranking as anyone. They were a few yards away from the Superbowl victory, they have a young QB, and they 14 picks in a deep draft. Yes, they lost a good DB, nose tackle and a backup TE, but their core is still the same. I think Boldan is a huge pick up that negates their losses. This isn't just a "respect the champs" thing either. It would be asinine to put Baltimore at #1, their subtractions of key, core players is irrefutable.

I'm not saying the Niners are better than us, as a matter of fact, I look forward to kicking the crud out of them. I can't wait to prove our dominance on the field by earning it, I'm just saying that it doesn't bother me that some would put the Niners ahead of the Seahawks, I can see the rational. I hate em', but they have earned it.

All I know is that after that first head to head matchup with Niners, there will be no doubt that we are a better, more talented, and more physical team


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:17 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2766
rjdriver : "I think Boldan is a huge pick up that negates their losses."

All of them? All their loss's? I could see saying he replaces Manningham and would even buy he might be an upgrade but what about Moss? And the fact Crabtree will be the only returning starter from last year.

Delanie walker was used alot in their two TE sets and moved on because he wants to be a starter. Alot of members here wanted him on the hawks. He's not a giant loss in himself but take away Moss and Manningham also and I don't see how Boldin makes it an even swap.

Kaepernick will only have two guys from last year catching pass's in Crabtree and VD. Boldin's not "that" good. Kaep will also need to learn how to use Boldin. He is not fast but he is strong. If you can place the ball properly Boldin will win most of those battles but it is not as simple as it sounds and unlike Crabtree who gets separation and is visible when he is open, Boldin rely's on the QB to place the ball were he can fight for it. By the way if he is going up against Sherman that ball placement had better be excellent and if he is going up against Browner, please try and let Boldin fight it away from him. That won't work so well. Bowner can out muscle him and Sherman can out maneuver him.

Last time he played against those guys Boldin had two catch's for 22 yards.

Defensively their front 7 was what kept that machine rolling and hid the fact they were pretty weak in the secondary. Now they lost their NT and his back up. Again, might not normally be a big loss but they don't have a replacement on the team right now that can play the NT position. Add in that Justin Smith is coming off injury and is turning 34 in September. Consider whoever they get to play NT will take some time to get familiar with their schemes and how will that effect Justin Smith?

Now figure if that font seven takes a step back, how will that effect the secondary? Then remove the only probowler in the secondary from that equation. How good do you think Boldin is?

Yes they have 14 picks but last year was the first year that Balke was on his own as well as the first year in many he was picking towards the end of the draft. LMJ I think is the only draft pick that seen the field and AJ Jenkins looks like a horrible miss with zero catch's on the year and not being able to beat out even Ted Ginn for playing time.

If they lose Ted Ginn and it is looking like a real possibility, their return game will also take a big hit. LMJ might be able to step in but it is another unknown and most likely a down grade even if he is decent.

They just signed a new kicker. Do we just automatically assume he is going to be good? Can he boot it into the endzone on kickoffs? What about consistency or long kicks?

Glenn Dorsey might prove to be a good pick up and I am sure they are hoping he is Justin Smith's replacement but again, his track record so far doesn't guarantee success. I was hoping we would make a run at him so I won't lie, I think he has potential but still he is not the answer at NT and even if he does work out, as long as Justin Smith can play, he will be on the field.

Frank Gore also turns 30 May 14th. That is something that could very possibly come into play also.

I like Boldin but he is not the answer to all the questions they have going right now. They still have many other issues staring them directly in the face.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:21 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am
Posts: 757
Why do you think they were close to winning the Superbowl? Even if they scored a touchdown they'd have led by two points (unless they converted a two point conversion) with a minute and a half left against a team with all it's timeouts, a great kicker, and a passing attack that proved it could burn their secondary.

Seahawks proved against Atlanta it was unwise to go up by less then 4 pts with 30 seconds left in the game in the same situation.

_________________
Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:24 pm 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2766
Lets also not completely ignore the difference in that game before and after the black out.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:33 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 2504
Location: South of Heaven
My boss is a Niners fan and I let him have it with the ESPN power rankings! Thank you.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:31 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
Lady Talon wrote:
Why do you think they were close to winning the Superbowl? Even if they scored a touchdown they'd have led by two points (unless they converted a two point conversion) with a minute and a half left against a team with all it's timeouts, a great kicker, and a passing attack that proved it could burn their secondary.

Seahawks proved against Atlanta it was unwise to go up by less then 4 pts with 30 seconds left in the game in the same situation.



Well, regardless of what would have happened, I think leading the Superbowl with 1:30 left can be considered close to winning it.

We were close to winning the Atlanta game. We didn't win, but we were close.

But I digress.

You guys are right. We are head and shoulders better than them. We are in a totally different league than the defending NFC champs. Anybody who thinks they are even competition for us is crazy like me.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:37 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
RichNhansom wrote:
rjdriver : "I think Boldan is a huge pick up that negates their losses."

All of them? All their loss's? I could see saying he replaces Manningham and would even buy he might be an upgrade but what about Moss? And the fact Crabtree will be the only returning starter from last year.

Delanie walker was used alot in their two TE sets and moved on because he wants to be a starter. Alot of members here wanted him on the hawks. He's not a giant loss in himself but take away Moss and Manningham also and I don't see how Boldin makes it an even swap.

Kaepernick will only have two guys from last year catching pass's in Crabtree and VD. Boldin's not "that" good. Kaep will also need to learn how to use Boldin. He is not fast but he is strong. If you can place the ball properly Boldin will win most of those battles but it is not as simple as it sounds and unlike Crabtree who gets separation and is visible when he is open, Boldin rely's on the QB to place the ball were he can fight for it. By the way if he is going up against Sherman that ball placement had better be excellent and if he is going up against Browner, please try and let Boldin fight it away from him. That won't work so well. Bowner can out muscle him and Sherman can out maneuver him.

Last time he played against those guys Boldin had two catch's for 22 yards.

Defensively their front 7 was what kept that machine rolling and hid the fact they were pretty weak in the secondary. Now they lost their NT and his back up. Again, might not normally be a big loss but they don't have a replacement on the team right now that can play the NT position. Add in that Justin Smith is coming off injury and is turning 34 in September. Consider whoever they get to play NT will take some time to get familiar with their schemes and how will that effect Justin Smith?

Now figure if that font seven takes a step back, how will that effect the secondary? Then remove the only probowler in the secondary from that equation. How good do you think Boldin is?

Yes they have 14 picks but last year was the first year that Balke was on his own as well as the first year in many he was picking towards the end of the draft. LMJ I think is the only draft pick that seen the field and AJ Jenkins looks like a horrible miss with zero catch's on the year and not being able to beat out even Ted Ginn for playing time.

If they lose Ted Ginn and it is looking like a real possibility, their return game will also take a big hit. LMJ might be able to step in but it is another unknown and most likely a down grade even if he is decent.

They just signed a new kicker. Do we just automatically assume he is going to be good? Can he boot it into the endzone on kickoffs? What about consistency or long kicks?

Glenn Dorsey might prove to be a good pick up and I am sure they are hoping he is Justin Smith's replacement but again, his track record so far doesn't guarantee success. I was hoping we would make a run at him so I won't lie, I think he has potential but still he is not the answer at NT and even if he does work out, as long as Justin Smith can play, he will be on the field.

Frank Gore also turns 30 May 14th. That is something that could very possibly come into play also.

I like Boldin but he is not the answer to all the questions they have going right now. They still have many other issues staring them directly in the face.



Great points. Many I didn't consider. I agree with them and think we are the best team in the NFL. My whole point was that I understand and even agreed (til seeing these points) how many could consider SF an early favorite. It's their draft I'm worried about guys, everyone seems to dismiss it. I think they can fill some needs with their draft. I'm not on their side, I hate em' , but just trying to be objective. Thanks for the great post though RnH


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:46 pm 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:12 pm
Posts: 420
If any team is prepared to deal with high expectations, its the seahawks. We know the horrible taste of heart breaking defeats all too well. This team is too damn hungry and too damn confident to care anything about expectations.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:12 pm
Posts: 1120
Location: The Rain Forest
SalishHawkFan wrote:
We didn't lose the SB. It was stolen from us. We crushed those guys.

:th2thumbs:

_________________
"We walked our (pedestrian) ass to the Super Bowl"
Angry Doug
"We're looking for grit"
Pete Carroll
"We got grit. That's it."
Earl Thomas.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:55 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
Posts: 9826
I've had enough "flying under the radar" business, where has it gotten us? Seattle is now the bully in school that tells you he's going to steal your lunch money, and steal your girlfriend, the does it and there is nothing you can do to stop it!!!! Let the rest of the NFL hate, there is a lot of lunch money and girlfriends to be stolen! :)

_________________
42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS century, deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22607
Location: Kirkland, WA
Wanting to fly under the radar is a loser's mentality; end of story.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:57 pm 
NET Practice Squad
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:19 am
Posts: 98
Is this the very first time the seahawks have ever been number one in the power rankings?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am
Posts: 3081
strohmin wrote:
If any team is prepared to deal with high expectations, its the seahawks. We know the horrible taste of heart breaking defeats all too well. This team is too damn hungry and too damn confident to care anything about expectations.


I have to agree with this statement 100%
It seems like Carroll really has these guys focused on the task at hand
Their consistency has improved dramatically over the past 3 years and its been apparent in the supposed "head cases" we have taken aboard that have thrived and played very well
You can even hear it in the players candid comments on Twitter and other sources that they understand how much they demand from each other and how dedicated they are to the cause.
GO HAWKS!

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am
Posts: 3081
titan3131 wrote:
Is this the very first time the seahawks have ever been number one in the power rankings?


First time since 2006...although it may seem like it sometimes haha

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:53 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am
Posts: 3081
case in point:

"Earl Thomas @Earl_Thomas
Most people don't kno while we practice its basically like a club out there sometimes even a DJ!!! Man I miss my teammates..."

edit: thanks to http://nfltweeter.com/seahawks/

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:08 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
titan3131 wrote:
Is this the very first time the seahawks have ever been number one in the power rankings?


http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2006/week/1


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:55 am
Posts: 757
rjdriver wrote:
Lady Talon wrote:
Why do you think they were close to winning the Superbowl? Even if they scored a touchdown they'd have led by two points (unless they converted a two point conversion) with a minute and a half left against a team with all it's timeouts, a great kicker, and a passing attack that proved it could burn their secondary.

Seahawks proved against Atlanta it was unwise to go up by less then 4 pts with 30 seconds left in the game in the same situation.



Well, regardless of what would have happened, I think leading the Superbowl with 1:30 left can be considered close to winning it.

We were close to winning the Atlanta game. We didn't win, but we were close.

But I digress.

You guys are right. We are head and shoulders better than them. We are in a totally different league than the defending NFC champs. Anybody who thinks they are even competition for us is crazy like me.


Lol I didnt mean to pile on the avalanche on you. It's just amusing because Niner fans dismiss us because of the Atl loss (and they didn't want to play us, even in their own house), then they pretty much barely escaped with a win in Atl, then they lost the Superbowl in similar fashion. Are they dangerous? Yeah. Are they God's gift to football and forever a target the Hawks will never reach? Lol no. Superior? My lily white ass.

_________________
Last edited by Russell Wilson on Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 29-3 times in total.
Last edited by NFC Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:14 pm, edited 23-17 times in total.
Last edited by World Champion Russell Wilson on Sun Feb 2, 2014 7:14 pm, edited 43-8 times in total.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:55 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:11 am
Posts: 1018
Location: Utah
Lady Talon wrote:
rjdriver wrote:
Lady Talon wrote:
Why do you think they were close to winning the Superbowl? Even if they scored a touchdown they'd have led by two points (unless they converted a two point conversion) with a minute and a half left against a team with all it's timeouts, a great kicker, and a passing attack that proved it could burn their secondary.

Seahawks proved against Atlanta it was unwise to go up by less then 4 pts with 30 seconds left in the game in the same situation.



Well, regardless of what would have happened, I think leading the Superbowl with 1:30 left can be considered close to winning it.

We were close to winning the Atlanta game. We didn't win, but we were close.

But I digress.

You guys are right. We are head and shoulders better than them. We are in a totally different league than the defending NFC champs. Anybody who thinks they are even competition for us is crazy like me.


Lol I didnt mean to pile on the avalanche on you. It's just amusing because Niner fans dismiss us because of the Atl loss (and they didn't want to play us, even in their own house), then they pretty much barely escaped with a win in Atl, then they lost the Superbowl in similar fashion. Are they dangerous? Yeah. Are they God's gift to football and forever a target the Hawks will never reach? Lol no. Superior? My lily white ass.


100% agree. They are the most arrogant fans I know. That's what I love about playing them twice. This is the year we take them in the stick, I know it. For the most part, we don't dismiss them, but they can't get a grasp on past performance doesn't mean squat in this league. They had superior talent when Pete and John blew it up. Last year we caught up. Next year, we will have an opportunity to show we have surpassed them without argument. There will be no need for power polls to figure that out.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:37 am 
NET Rookie
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:54 pm
Posts: 184
FlyingGreg wrote:
The comments following the article are great. Typical crap.


Agreed. Every year, the Seahawks get a horrible draft grade from the "experts" because the Seahawks don't do the conventional wisdom thing. So yeah, the Seahawks will get their annual 'D' grade.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:02 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 am
Posts: 2766
Rjdriver I don't mean to come off sounding like I am attacking you. Sorry if I did. I recently read a Niner board out of boardom but I won't post on their boards and so many of them are completely ignoring everything and using the Boldin signing as a reason they are better than last year. It's kind of mind numbing to think fans know so little about their own organization and can be so over the top arrogant at the same time.

The saying "the game is played on the field" goes for every team in the league. IMO it's just a way of saying I don't wanna talk about it. This is the off season so we don't have games to play. Instead those of us that are still craving football want to compare what our organizations are doing to improve our chances and power poles give us some feel of validation that we are not just delusional.

Consider the Seahawks are not one of the NFL's storied franchises. This poll isn't about massaging a fan bases ego. I think we have honestly forced the critics to sit up and pay attention and that is a huge accomplishment.

Sorry if I was to aggressive. I think I just told you some of the things I want to tell Niner fans but you know I would kicked off any of their boards for that post and it would just be deleted in less time than it took me to write it.

_________________
The Lion has no interest in the opinion of the sheep.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:32 am 
NET Veteran
Offline

Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 4:38 pm
Posts: 2261
rjdriver wrote:
Lady Talon wrote:
Why do you think they were close to winning the Superbowl? Even if they scored a touchdown they'd have led by two points (unless they converted a two point conversion) with a minute and a half left against a team with all it's timeouts, a great kicker, and a passing attack that proved it could burn their secondary.

Seahawks proved against Atlanta it was unwise to go up by less then 4 pts with 30 seconds left in the game in the same situation.



Well, regardless of what would have happened, I think leading the Superbowl with 1:30 left can be considered close to winning it.

We were close to winning the Atlanta game. We didn't win, but we were close.

But I digress.

You guys are right. We are head and shoulders better than them. We are in a totally different league than the defending NFC champs. Anybody who thinks they are even competition for us is crazy like me.


Yes, leading with 1.30 left is coming close to winning. Coming close to leading with 1.30 left is more like "coming close to coming close".
We were closer to winning the Atlanta game than SF were to winning the Superbowl because we actually had a leading position with 30 second left


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:53 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 11:36 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Spanaway, WA
rjdriver wrote:
titan3131 wrote:
Is this the very first time the seahawks have ever been number one in the power rankings?


http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings/_/year/2006/week/1

Pretty awesome seeing who is at the bottom those 2006 rankings... :stirthepot:

_________________
Image
"Make good teams look bad and make bad teams look terrible!" -Michael Robinson


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:25 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:01 pm
Posts: 2359
volsunghawk wrote:
Damn East coast bias rearing its ugly... wait, what?


Actually that's correct.

We added 2 players from East Coast teams and another who at least came from a team on left side of the country (Harvin).

The bias is alive and well. :stirthepot:


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm 
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
*PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
Posts: 8660
Location: Is Everything
Weren't the Chiefs ranked really high last preseason?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:39 pm 
*NET FCC Liaison*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
Posts: 22607
Location: Kirkland, WA
CALIHAWK1 wrote:
Weren't the Chiefs ranked really high last preseason?


The media forgot that they didn't have a QB worthy of starting. We don't have that problem.

_________________
Sam Bradford is a game changer.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: ESPN.com Power Rankings
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:31 am 
* Dirty Harry *
* Dirty Harry *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
Posts: 5417
Location: Magnolia, Texas
titan3131 wrote:
Is this the very first time the seahawks have ever been number one in the power rankings?


The Seahawks were number 1 for about the last month of the 2005 regular season and throughout the playoffs leading up to SB40.

They have never started a given season at a number 1 ranking.

_________________
"God bless America, and God bless the Seattle Seahawks" - Cortez Kennedy


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]



 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.