Obo not released yet?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
Obo not released yet?
Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:04 pm
  • I never saw the official transaction...and he still shows up on the roster here:

http://www.seahawks.com/team/roster.html

According to Clayton, the Seahawks still have ~ $6.5 million in cap space after Harvin, Avril and Bennett. Releasing Obomanu would put that to close to $9 million.
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Re: Obo not released yet?
Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm
  • The only person who confirmed it so far was Obo. On twitter.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:29 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:The only person who confirmed it so far was Obo. On twitter.

Yeah, ironically, he is the most valuable source.

I'm sure it's coming soon...
    @SeahawkGreg

"I will be thrilled with 10 wins.... If we win 14 games, I will tattoo my nuts green and blue!" --13thMan
    FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm
  • LOL yeah Its pretty rare when a player says "They are letting me go" but then gets a contract
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:32 pm
  • The seahawks are not overly speedy in updating their site in the offseason. Plus, the fact that Obomanu was told of his impending release doesn't mean they need to rush to do it. So far as I heard, Bennett was scheduled for a physical on friday (expected to pass) and that he would sign his contract after that. Also, with the news of Avril's excellent deal, we have enough room to not HAVE to release Obo until we make start signing some of our other free agents. Whether the paperwork is sent in or they are waiting until they send in other paperwork to do it all in one batch, I have no idea, but we are still ok capwise.

As for Clayton's numbers, I don't think he's taken into account the RFA's. According to both Mine and hawkstorian's calculations we should be in the $5 -$5.5 million dollar cap range AFTER Obo's contract and Bennett's contracts are figured in.
    :les:

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm
  • If the Hawks let him go and the Hawks do bump up to 9 Mil of cap space, the FA pick ups are not over!
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:36 pm
  • Go Hawks! :snack:
    Last edited by Spokane on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Spokane
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:38 pm
  • it was posted on espn!
    Darrenv17
    NET Rookie

Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:38 pm
  • Spokane wrote:If the Hawks let him go and the Hawks do bump up to 9 Mil of cap space, the FA pick ups are not over!

I just don't see how we can have 9 million in cap space. I think clayton's math is wrong.

Edit to Clarify....The number isn't wrong, it's accurate in that he's likely not counting the RFA's. They aren't truly using cap space until they are signed, but they generally always are, and should be counted in. Until the contracts are done, he's probably not figuring them, as they could negotiate longer deals with differing cap values. The thing is though, we, as fans, should look at that space as "flexibly gone". In other words, there may be some flexibility to it, because we may not necessarily end up signing them to the exact one year deal of their tenders, and unsigned deals (I believe) could be pulled off the table, so there is flexibility in those numbers, but these are more the exception than the rule.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:00 pm
  • Yeah I don't think the RFA tenders are in there.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:08 pm
  • This afternoon on ESPN KIRO 710, Clayton said the Hawks are ~$6.4M under the cap after cutting Obomanu.
    EastCoastHawksFan posted... "Trading for Harvin is by far the worst move John S has ever made." (March 18, 2014)

your World Champion Seattle Seahawks.. how sweet is that!!
    onanygivensunday
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:46 pm
  • According to this, he was released March 16th. Strangely, he is still showing up on the .com roster.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/cap-hit/
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm
  • The sources that report league transactions have him as released.

BTW -- Spotrac is not an original source for anything, they just borrow news from other sites like the rest of us.
    * NET Staff *

Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:55 pm
  • I just wish the .com people would catch on.
    @SeahawkGreg

FlyingGreg
    * Master Chief *
    * Master Chief *

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:29 am
  • FlyingGreg wrote:I just wish the .com people would catch on.

They have improved dramatically over the past two years, but they are still not very good in all areas. Especially the area I am in the most, photos. The tags and information given with the pics are wrong so often.
    BASF
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:33 am
  • Hawkstorian wrote:The sources that report league transactions have him as released.

BTW -- Spotrac is not an original source for anything, they just borrow news from other sites like the rest of us.

Everything I've seen shows him as being released, but .com is a strange beast when it comes to things like this. They still show Obomanu on the roster, even though they've added the new guys and removed Leon, Obo is still there. They also haven't updated their transactions page since March 12 when they showed the Harvin trade and cutting Washington. Neither of the signings are listed, nor is Obo's supposed cut. It's the offseason though, so we just have to go by the best information available, and that tells us that Obo is not going to be a seahawk under his current contract.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:16 am

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:29 am
  • Hawknballs wrote:better to use the official NFL roster rather than the seahawks site.

http://www.nfl.com/players/search?categ ... pe=current

It's sad how many other places report things before the seahawks official site does. You'd think that it would be a fairly simple task to update the site after something has happened. It isn't that hard to delete a line or add a line to the table that makes up the roster list.

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:36 am
  • I'd imagine it has something to do with the grey area of releasing a player that ends up being brought back to the practice squad. What's weird is that on both rosters i see some practice squad guys but i also dont' see josh portis.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:40 am
  • Hawknballs wrote:I'd imagine it has something to do with the grey area of releasing a player that ends up being brought back to the practice squad. What's weird is that on both rosters i see some practice squad guys but i also dont' see josh portis.

Obo is definitely not going on the practice squad.

Portis is no longer in the NFL, he's in the CFL

http://www.argonauts.ca/roster/show/id/5725

kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:32 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information