USA Today NFL Free Agency Report Card

kidhawk

Reaction score
[urltargetblank]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/03/18/free-agency-grades-report-cards-seahawks/1996523/?sf10582197=1[/urltargetblank]

Lists every team and their grade thus far (albeit early) in free agency. Seahawks are one of only 2 teams with a solid "A". A few other have an "A-"

Seattle Seahawks (A): The offense (Harvin) and defense (DEs Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett) have been supercharged, and the pay scale really didn't suffer much even if GM John Schneider had to part with a few picks, including this year's first rounder, for Harvin. The Niners should be worried.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Glad we got an A, IMHO they were a bit too generous with other teams grades, some teams hardly did anything and still got high grades.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":zwrhfw7z said:
Glad we got an A, IMHO they were a bit too generous with other teams grades, some teams hardly did anything and still got high grades.

Yeah, there wasn't a lot of depth to them. Seems like they didn't really put a ton of effort into the list, but it's the offseason, and it's good seahawks press, so I'm rolling with it :)

FreshlySnipes

Reaction score
I dunno. We also got an A in the 09 draft when we got Aaron curry. Look how that turned out. I think we did do well but the grade means nothing. In the pc js era we got bad draft grades, like last year I think we got a D but it turned out to be one of the best in the nfl

Spokane

Reaction score
All the hawks have done is fill needs with great players, anything other then A/A+ would be unfair and laughed at.

kearly

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":3d4qfaty said:
I dunno. We also got an A in the 09 draft when we got Aaron curry. Look how that turned out. I think we did do well but the grade means nothing. In the pc js era we got bad draft grades, like last year I think we got a D but it turned out to be one of the best in the nfl

Very true. However, that draft did get us two all-pros though, albeit one indirectly.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Why do the Packers get an A- for losing their best WR and not signing anyone? Yahoo, you so funny.

OP
OP
kidhawk

kidhawk

Reaction score
FreshlySnipes":1ff9v2r4 said:

Although I don't put stock into any of the grades, whether it be free agent or draft, I do find them interesting in regards to national opinions.

Also, I don't think grading drafts and free agency is very much alike. Too many people try to grade the draft without any knowledge of what these players honestly can bring to the team that drafted them. It really takes 2-3 years MINIMUM before you can fully grade out a draft class. Even last years class started out very low and is now being regarded as one of the best, but IMO we still need to see what happens in 2 more years and see what they've continued to bring to our team before we can give it a TRUE grade.

Free agency is different because you are bringing in established veterans who have histories in the NFL to base the projections on. I still think the final grades come out on free agency later in the season and perhaps not until after the Superbowl, but much quicker than final draft grades.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":wncgqqe9 said:
Why do the Packers get an A- for losing their best WR and not signing anyone? Yahoo, you so funny.

Because everything they do is awesome. lol.

Yahoo=Bleacher Report.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
I am totally cool with the media respect. The Hawks deserve it. Unlike previous regimes, PCJS aren't looking for has-beens or aging vets to band-aid issues.

In the Ruskell era, it was Wistrom, Branch, TJ, JJ, Pollard and Kerney.

They made SWEET deals to improve the pass rush with young, value-added-blue-chip players. Then spent some money on explosive to an already dangerous offense.

They still haven't drafted for 2013, they have plenty of picks to satisfy any issues they might perceive and it is safe to say given their previous draft success that they will hit on probably two players at minimum.

The thing I like the most about all the hype is that none of it will go to RW's head. This isn't the Michael Vick, Desean Jackson Eagles labeling themselves the "dream team". The only ones doing that are the ones that hope the Hawks fail.

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":284gijw5 said:

Great point... So the Vikes take away one of the Packs best players, adding it to their roster (let's not forget that Jennings knows the offense quite well) while the Pack does nothing of any impact and they get a grade at all?

The Packers need to create a defense and a running game with the draft and late pickups from the wire. The NFCW teams are going to destroy the NFCN teams next year. Niners will MAUL that Packer team, the Hawks will take out the Vikes and the Rams will eat the Bears for breakfast. The Lions, are actually my pick out of the North next year. I think they are better than last year by far and get the last place schedule on top of it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
kidhawk":1rpec656 said:
FreshlySnipes":1rpec656 said:

Although I don't put stock into any of the grades, whether it be free agent or draft, I do find them interesting in regards to national opinions.

Also, I don't think grading drafts and free agency is very much alike. Too many people try to grade the draft without any knowledge of what these players honestly can bring to the team that drafted them. It really takes 2-3 years MINIMUM before you can fully grade out a draft class. Even last years class started out very low and is now being regarded as one of the best, but IMO we still need to see what happens in 2 more years and see what they've continued to bring to our team before we can give it a TRUE grade.

Free agency is different because you are bringing in established veterans who have histories in the NFL to base the projections on. I still think the final grades come out on free agency later in the season and perhaps not until after the Superbowl, but much quicker than final draft grades.
Very true, I try to look at it almost like entertainment. Some of these bozos know less than we do as average Joes and like us sometimes let their biases get in the way.

Seafan

Reaction score
Harvin wasn't acquired through free agency and free agency has just started. This report gives credit for street free agent signings and trades. Poor report. And really who cares who wins March. I want the Hawks to win January and February.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":15hadzy9 said:
Sgt. Largent":15hadzy9 said:

Because everything they do is awesome. lol.

Yahoo=Bleacher Report.

It isn't Yahoo!, it's USA Today.