Interesting J. Schneider interview (Avril at LB, Bennett DT)

DJrmb

Reaction score
So listening to John Clayton interview John Schneider over the weekend was interesting. They went over each of the new additions. What the process was like to acquire them and how they fit with the team.

1. He said that WR was not an area they were looking at, Percy just kind of came to them. Specifically he said "they were not involved with any of the Free Agent WR's". (27:10)

2. He said that Cliff Avril was brought in to play Leo and SAM LB (30:20)

3. He described Bennett as an "inside pass rushers" first that "could play outside as well". (30:45)

4. Schneider is asked about more FA signings. He says they'll focus on their own guys now and specifically mentions "signing some guys to extensions" (31:10)

Here's the link to the interview:
http://mynorthwest.com/category/pod_player_sports/?a=9953606&p=1034&n=John Clayton Show

kidhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for the link. I'd heard Clayton was going to be talking to him this weekend, but hadn't had a chance to look for the link yet.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
I heard the interview on Saturday and liked what he had to say. Seems very open about it, now that they are signed.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Am I losing it, or did Clemons also line up at LB as well? and if he did why is everyone making a big deal out of them saying that Avril is going to as well, isn't that part of what the LEO does in our defense?

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
He says they'll focus on their own guys now and specifically mentions "signing some guys to extensions" (31:10)

Good news there.

GO ZAGS!!

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Throwdown":1u5ngci9 said:
Am I losing it, or did Clemons also line up at LB as well? and if he did why is everyone making a big deal out of them saying that Avril is going to as well, isn't that part of what the LEO does in our defense?

At times the LEO stands up and/or drops into coverage like a 3-4 OLB, Clemons never played WIL or SAM though if I had to estimate he rushed the passer about 95% of the time.

JesterHawk

Reaction score
I think our Dline will be ludicrously good next season. At times Clemons dropped into coverage from the Leo spot. We've got the potential to line up Clem / Avril at the Leo/WILL spot with Irvin, Mebane and Bennet on the line, Wagner at MLB, Wright on the strong side...

Where does the rush come from? Kam Chancellor or Earl Thomas? Richard Sherman? It could be anywhere, especially if the team is weak at the WR spot. Obviously that isn't the type of thing that would be employed often, but this defensive unit is looking like it could be very versatile. We could even pull Kam in at WILL and put Jeron Johnson on the field with Earl.

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Throwdown":22meujj3 said:

I'm not so sure that Clemons lined up at LB for us, but he did on occasion drop back into coverage at times as they rushed LBers to disguise blitzes and coverages. I could be wrong though...

Hawknballs

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":759264xe said:
John and Pete are always very honest. It's refreshing.

From the ownership to the FO to the players, nobody is trying to beat you by playing mind games, that's how I see it. They don't want to "win" any aspect of what they do on or off the field by being deceptive and lucky. They want to win by showing you what they are doing and being confident they will be able to do it regardless.

Same reason they have the open training camp practices with music and fans that are more like an event than a practice - here's what we're doing, regardless of the distractions we will get it done and if you can't handle that how are you going to handle a game?

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
Throwdown":18qz041l said:

Leo position is a hybrid LB/DE type of position but SAM LB is a different animal, and as far as I know Clemons did not play any SAM. Saying Avril will play SAM LB is indicating that he will be on the field at a LB position in addition to someone else playing LEO...

Probably a similar look to the "4-3 Jet End's" shown here:
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/11049 ... t_Ends.png

ErikG803

Reaction score
I know he's probably low priority compared to some of the other names out there but I really hope they can extend Tate soon :D

JesterHawk

Reaction score
ErikG803":2e7h9cri said:
I know he's probably low priority compared to some of the other names out there but I really hope they can extend Tate soon :D

Agreed. I always hoped he would be more like Harvin, and if he can develop a bit more I think he could be used similarly which would give our offense another wrinkle.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2zlv960n said:
FlyingGreg":2zlv960n said:
John and Pete are always very honest. It's refreshing.

From the ownership to the FO to the players, nobody is trying to beat you by playing mind games, that's how I see it. They don't want to "win" any aspect of what they do on or off the field by being deceptive and lucky. They want to win by showing you what they are doing and being confident they will be able to do it regardless.

Same reason they have the open training camp practices with music and fans that are more like an event than a practice - here's what we're doing, regardless of the distractions we will get it done and if you can't handle that how are you going to handle a game?

Very true.

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Good stuff there. It will be very interesting to see how the rest of this offseason goes.

kearly

Reaction score
Avril at SAM would mean our LB corps would have the following 40 times: 4.51 (Avril), 4.45 (Wagner), 4.44/4.46 (Smith/Morgan)

Fastest LB group in the NFL? Probably. Our linebackers would be faster than our secondary.

Hawknight

Reaction score
kearly":398cbfto said:
Avril at SAM would mean our LB corps would have the following 40 times: 4.51 (Avril), 4.45 (Wagner), 4.44/4.46 (Smith/Morgan)

Fastest LB group in the NFL? Probably. Our linebackers would be faster than our secondary.

Question:

What is faster than the speed of light?

Answer:

Seattle's Linebackers

:sarcasm_off: :th2thumbs:

OP
OP
DJrmb

DJrmb

Reaction score
kearly":24jn3njb said:

Wouldn't they throw KJ Wright over to WILL when Avril plays SAM?

Spokane

Reaction score
lol If we could just re-sign Simmons and his clocked 4.28, that would make them the fastest in the NFL.
I am really pumped about what these guys will bring to the table. They are P and J's anwser to this years DE issue!