Any chance Wilson has a sophomore slump?

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
I personally don't think with his work ethic he will. However, with the new additions we could potentially offset that if it happened. If Wilson improves on his rookie year, I don't honestly see how we don't sweep the division.

I keep seeing people believing that the Rams are going to be the team to give us problems. I honestly can not name one player on their offense right now other than Bradford. Gibson and Amendola gone. I think the Rams will regress this year but they are rebuilding and will be a thorn in the future.

My prediction for the season

Seahawks 13-3
49ers 11-5
Rams 7-9
Cards 5-11

warden

Reaction score
DCs will learn some of Wilsons tendencies and defend him better. How he adjusts to this is the key. The biggest thing in Wilson's favour is he does not have to do it alone. He has a good supporting cast.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Only if the O-Line collapses in epic 2012 Huskies type fashion (which you can't entirely rule out).

It always starts and ends at the O-line. I expect Wilson to be prepared for everything that he can control.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
warden":cnmtw9aw said:
DCs will learn some of Wilsons tendencies and defend him better. How he adjusts to this is the key. The biggest thing in Wilson's favour is he does not have to do it alone. He has a good supporting cast.

What tendencies?

I think that's a stock answer for most young QB's that doesn't apply to Wilson. The only "tendency" he has is to get better every week.

He has such a diverse game that I don't see how he will do anything but improve. His preparation and work will outweigh teams that spend a few hours a week trying to game plan him.

That's the beauty of this offense. You can't just go "all in" to stop Wilson. You have to plan for him, Lynch, Rice, Tate, Harvin, Miller. All are potential game changers.

therealjohncarlson

Reaction score
OP, you didn't even provide one reason behind your initial question! Why would he have a sophomore slump?

Lady Talon

Reaction score
He already had his slump, when PC and Bevell limited his offensive plays and therefore his effectiveness.

I don't see one coming next year. He's smart, film room dedicated, first person in, last person out. Sophomore slumps happen when players believe that they have arrived and forget the need to constantly improve themselves. Wilson doesn't believe he's a star, I don't think he will ever. He believes hard work and practice will get him and the team to the Superbowl. He's right.

Doesn't have any Cam Newton signature superman attitude, his signature is "Go Hawks!"

So no, I believe he will have games that are more dissapointing then others, but no slump.

OP
OP
bevellisthedevil

bevellisthedevil

Reaction score
therealjohncarlson":2yxy3bqz said:
OP, you didn't even provide one reason behind your initial question! Why would he have a sophomore slump?

I don't need to provide a reason. Things happen. I don't believe he will have a sophomore slump. However, did anyone expect Cam Newton, Andy Dalton, or Sam Bradford to have sophomore slumps? I don't know. Wilson always says "the separation is the preparation" so I'm optimistic that it shouldn't be an issue.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Not a chance. This dude is not normal. I mean that in the best possible way.

Winterfell

Reaction score
I hope I won't be jumped for saying this...but there is always a chance for a sophomore slump. Every quarterback is susceptible to it, even Russell Wilson.

Do I think Wilson will have a sophomore slump? Probably not, the chances are in his favor since he is such a smart, hard-working QB with great physical gifts on a contender team.

Is it a possibility he'll have a slump? Yes.

There is so much parity in the NFL, and the NFC, specifically the NFC West, is stacked with talent. Give or take a play here and there in a game, have an injury or two, etc. and situations can change very quickly.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
In a sense, you're asking if Wilson will regress?, NO
Will his supporting cast keep pace with Wilson? THAT'S a better question here.
Marshawn is a big part of the success we've had, and going foreward, Wilson will need to tie up loose ends with Harvin (now in the mix), and getting all his Receivers on the same page.
Nobody studies the game like RW, and that kind of devotion will only produce positive results.
I'm gonna throw some more grease on the wheels of the Russell Wilson fan wagon, jump on, grab hold, and hang on tight for the crazy ride. :0190l:

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Seriously. Who else in the HISTORY of the NFL has prepared like Russell Wilson. Honestly?

THAT reason alone (forget his natural God-given talent) is a guarantee this kid doesn't suffer from the Sophomore Slump. That stuff is for "regular" QBs.

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
The last two years, the Hawks have had a tough first game. This year, however, I see us "hit the ground with the wheels spinning"!

MrCarey

Reaction score
Only way to make sure this doesn't happen is to start Flynn. You know what to do, Pete.

Latest posts