Any chance Wilson has a sophomore slump?

The Essential Online Seahawks Fan Forum Community. There simply is NO substitute. RATING: PG-13
  • The traditional "sophomore slump" is due to one of two things: relaxation on the part of the player, who believes he no longer has to work as hard and opposing teams scheming a way to counterattack their particular skill set.

The first reason just really cannot apply to Wilson because it is not in his makeup to ever believe he no longer needs to be better.

As far as the second reason, every time in his career (college and last year) that a problem has been identified that lets the opposing D have an angle to attack, he studies it and finds a way to counter it. I see no reason that will change now. What one hears now is that D coordinators will find a way to counter the read option because of Wilson and the other young QBs using it. However, the RO is only a small part of the offense and in no way defines Wilson's abilities as a QB. His quickness, fastness, awareness and arm, combined with the addition of Harvin to his target list are going to be extremely difficult to scheme against.

If the 'Hawks regress this year (which I seriously doubt), it won't be because of a Russell Wilson slump. I am not sure the guy is capable of a real slump because challenges just make him better.
    BadgerVid
    NET Bench Warmer

• There is always a chance for a sophomore slump if a player doesn't prepare to for it. Every player has a weakness that others plan to exploit. For RW it is his height. Defenses will plan to contain RW and 'crowd him' in the pocket limiting his passing lanes and vision. Sure he has escapability and the athleticism to extend plays outside the pocket but this year RW's progress will be measured by how much fewer of those plays will be necessary to continue drives.
    Having said this I don't foresee RW having a sophomore slump. RW will likely improve his timing patterns and quick hitters now that he will have an entire offseason to work with his receivers ala Brees and Brady. Also he will have Percy the playmaker and a potentially better offensive philosophy. There is no doubt RW can get the ball out quickly, easily and with good accuracy.
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• Aros wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:What if he does have a slump and it appears as if defenses have figured him out?

What ya all gonna do then?

Punch you in the nuts. :2:

or ovaries :th2thumbs:
    Russ Willstrong
    NET Veteran

• The whole idea of a sophomore slump is overblown and based on a players' performance compared to the perceived expectation of what he should do. A rookie is expected to play at a C level but actually plays at a B level, generating a ton of hype about how great he was. Then everyone assumes he will progress and play at an A level in his second year, but instead he plays at a B+ level so he is considered a disappointment despite being better than he was as a rookie.

Consider these two QBs:

Player A: 6.24 ANY/A, 7.8 Y/A, 0.16 EPA/P, 84.5 Rating, 3.3 INT%, 404 DYAR, 0.8% DVOA; 706 rush yards, 5.6 rush Y/A
    Player B: 6.65 ANY/A, 8.0 Y/A, 0.21 EPA/P, 86.2 Rating, 2.5 INT%, 422 DYAR, 2.0% DVOA; 741 rush yards, 5.8 rush Y/A

Player A is rookie Cam Newton; Player B is second year Cam Newton. He is the most recent poster child of sophomore slumps despite being better in his second year than in his rookie year.

It's possible that Wilson will be worse in his second year than he was as a rookie, but it's unlikely. Most players are better in their second years than they were as rookies.
    jewhawk
    NET Veteran

• I hope the sophomore slump resembles the freshman wall he was suppose to hit around Chicago.
    AVL
    NET Starter

• Kearly I love your headstand. How long did it take to get it right the first time??

:th2thumbs:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

• Bottom line, there are some QBs that just don't get "figured out". Brady, Manning, Rodgers--they are the great ones at this game, and Wilson is a great one already. You don't lead the league in QB rating for 1/2 of your rookie season and give your team it's first road playoff win in 30 years unless you are great.

No chance he slumps.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• The reason I don't see him slumping is because he has even more weapons than he had last year.
    WestcoastSteve
    NET Veteran

• WestcoastSteve wrote:The reason I don't see him slumping is because he has even more weapons than he had last year.

and an offseason to prepare as the starter

and (hopefully) no question marks at receiver going into the year..remember the revolving door at last year's training camp? Winslow, Owens, Lockette was still in the picture, that Bryant guy from Tampa(forget his first name).

Now you know...Rice, Tate, Harvin, Baldwin, Miller.

Unless there are any changes, but you know pretty much what you'll have.
    Hawknballs
    NET Veteran

• With more talent around him and a full training camp and preseason, learning the receivers, etc. RW will be better, not worse. We still haven't seen the best of DangeRuss. I expect he will put up stats that will get him to nearly the level of Rodgers, Brady & Manning. In my opinion, Wilson's leadership and work habits are starting to effect the whole team. The other players on the team have now - after year one, "bought in" to Wilson as their undisputed leader and the teams confidence is at an all time high and will only get higher as they follow Wilson and win more games.

Sophmore slumps are for all of those ordinary, average QB's not RW. And, he will still have upside even beyond this coming season! I'd be willing to bet that there is a league MVP in Wilson's near future. However good y'all think Wilson was last year, that was just the start of his career and he will get a whole lot better.-IMO.
    <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--> GO SEAHAWKS <--><--><--><--><--><--><--><--><-->
    CamanoIslandJQ
    NET Veteran

• Russell is a robot. It is known.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

• RW won't let it happen. Teams can plan and have planned for him and as rookie he prevailed in most of those situations. He is so versatile and well schooled. He relies on so many talents that when one isn't an option, another one is.

Early the season, with a trimmed down playbook he figured out a way. Problems on third down? Immediate improvement next game. Red zone scoring? Again, rectified in a game or two. In the RARE instance that he makes a mistake, he doesn't repeat it.

The majority of his few picks were flukes, while the stats show something like 12, only a few of those were ones that RW just blew it and I am talking about like 4. There were at least two that they knew would likely get picked at the end of a half where he heaved one downfield and the last play in ATL.

The kid is so mentally strong, he has poise that few QB's, even old school vets carry. He is constantly looking for a way to be better, he is known for studying ridiculous hours.

I remember the experts saying that he couldn't throw from the pocket, yet in every game he did that very thing frequently. They were supposed to knock his passes down. Nope... RW made a fool of every doubter around.

Once he was allowed the playbook, it was extremely difficult to stop him and he always figured out a way. RW is a man amongst boys and played like a seasoned vet in his rookie year. He will be running the offense and calling all the plays very soon with input coming from the staff at times. In one season at Wisconsin, he became the leader and played in the Rose Bowl, nearly beating an extremely talented Oregon team.

In one season he led the Hawks to 11-5, won their first road playoff game in nearly 30 years and came 25 seconds of bad defense away from winning another.

Just imagine what he will do with the only changes to his surroundings being the addition of one of the most explosive players in the NFL.

No slump here..
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• IMO, sophomore slump is due to two factors: (1) "I got this, I get it, I can do this" + (2) The bar is raised. (I speak from experience, in college.)

RW can't avoid #2 -- the bar IS raised, and defenses will have tape, and so on. But I don't think he'll fall prey to #1.
    HawkHack
    NET Rookie

• jewhawk wrote:The whole idea of a sophomore slump is overblown and based on a players' performance compared to the perceived expectation of what he should do. A rookie is expected to play at a C level but actually plays at a B level, generating a ton of hype about how great he was. Then everyone assumes he will progress and play at an A level in his second year, but instead he plays at a B+ level so he is considered a disappointment despite being better than he was as a rookie.

Consider these two QBs:

Player A: 6.24 ANY/A, 7.8 Y/A, 0.16 EPA/P, 84.5 Rating, 3.3 INT%, 404 DYAR, 0.8% DVOA; 706 rush yards, 5.6 rush Y/A
    Player B: 6.65 ANY/A, 8.0 Y/A, 0.21 EPA/P, 86.2 Rating, 2.5 INT%, 422 DYAR, 2.0% DVOA; 741 rush yards, 5.8 rush Y/A

Player A is rookie Cam Newton; Player B is second year Cam Newton. He is the most recent poster child of sophomore slumps despite being better in his second year than in his rookie year.

It's possible that Wilson will be worse in his second year than he was as a rookie, but it's unlikely. Most players are better in their second years than they were as rookies.

Cam is a bad example.

Player A: 134-235; 57.0%; 1902 yards; 6 TDs; 8 INTs; 77.7 QB rating; 347 rushing yards; 4 rushing TDs; 8 fumbles (3 lost)
    Player B: 146-250; 58.4%; 1967 yards; 13 TDs; 4 INTs; 94.2 QB rating; 394 rushing yards; 4 rushing TDs; 2 fumbles (0 lost)

That's Cam Newton for the first 8 and last 8 games last year.
    Newton was going through a very real sophomore slump last year, and although I've split it into two even 8 game sections, really it only lasted 9 games before he realised he had to keep working at it and hadn't "made it" already.
    themunn
    NET Veteran

bmorepunk
    NET Veteran

• Well, yeah, if you go by his statistics. After all, he's only going to be playing the first half of every game next year because we've seen how much NFL teams complain when those nasty mean old Seahawks "run up" the score.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Of course there's a chance, but I think it's heavily diminished with Russ. We saw him progress and learn, he didn't have flukey games or "by the butt-hair wins" like another certain rookie QB did all year...He is grounded in the "why" he was successful and has the proper support around him to continue his method. He knows why he was successful and he doesn't just expect to win because he did his rookie year - he expects to train and prepare properly in order to earn the wins.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• I have little concern of the "tape" on Wilson. The guy adjusts his style in the middle of a drive a variety of ways. Other teams might be able to keep his passing numbers down at times, but at the expense of other options.
    "The life you lose may be your own" - Drunk dude at the bar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!

• I think Russell Wilson has the least chance of a sophomore slump than any other player in nfl history. His work ethic, self confidence and drive is unparalleled, this is especially true considering the sophomore slump is most noticeable with QBs WRs and DBs.
    Check out My Seahawks Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/rxstr8
    FreshlySnipes
    NET Veteran

• Two words, one hashtag

#ChampionshipOffseason
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

• O ye of little faith. Blinded by your own underachieving and low expectations. By Russell Wilson's standards last year was average at best i.e. learning the game at the NFL level. On his scale you can't slump from average. This year is when we start to see the magic unfold... Behold for unto you a champion is in the making. Damn I just sounded like Moses right there.
    rastahawk
    * Just Chillin' *

Previous

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:30 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE OFFICIAL NET NATION FAN FORUM ]

Information