Doug Baldwin to be traded? (Colts, speculation)

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Owner Jim Irsay recently tweeted that the Colts are pursuing a wide receiver, and the Indianapolis Star speculates it may be Doug Baldwin.

http://www.rotoworld.com/sports/nfl/football

Original source:

http://www.indystar.com/article/2013031 ... which-one-

I don't really see the point in trading Doug. Important part of the rotation IMO, an if someone were to go down, we need that depth. He is also comes on the cheap. I guess a 2nd or 3rd round pick would be 'worth more', anything less and I'd be scratching my head.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
I don't think we could get a third for him and i wouldn't want to accept anything less.

A player, who we know can contribute?

Maybe.

Our front office knows what its doing so not to worry.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Makes sense for Indy. A lot. If if happens, I wonder what compensation would be. After Doug's first season it could have been a 3rd. After last season, I'd guess a 6th.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Yeah I kind of figured Baldwin was gone when we traded for Percy. There is just no reason to keep all slot receivers. You need more than just backup slot guys.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
No offense to you, of course, but that Indy Star article is extremely speculatory.

Add to this that I think Jim Irsay is unstable and needs to be removed from Twitter, and I doubt that Baldwin is being traded, considering his use in 4 WR sets and his salary that makes him basically free to us unless Grigson is offering a third or higher.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
You could just as easily name Andre Caldwell instead of Doug Baldwin. I mean, there are plenty of WR's out there and Denver is definitely more overstocked on WR's than Seattle is.

We spent a whole two years worrying about Rice's health so we're suddenly going to thin out our depth? I doubt we let go a guy entering his third season who had such a great rookie season and had a pretty decent sophomore year despite injuries.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":3tvimk7g said:
Baldwin in 4 WR sets and his salary that makes him basically free to us unless Grigson is offering a third or higher.

Agreement. He has third round value TO US, imo.

To Indy? Dunno.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Nice job of speculation by that beat writer, but its not particularly plausible unless the Colts wanted to really overpay. Baldwin's value to the Hawks is far greater than any likely trade return he could fetch, as he's a young and significant part of the WR rotation (and on ST's) who is playing on a minimum salary and is great in the locker room. That being said, the Dolphins got a 2nd round pick out of Indy for the lousy Vontae Davis last off-season, so I guess you never know.

lukerguy

Reaction score
bestfightstory":3mosx8tt said:
I don't think we could get a third for him and i wouldn't want to accept anything less.

Exactly. What's a late 4th going to do to replace a champion? Doug has a great attitude & is loved by those on the team. He may have got pushed down the depth chart but we will still use him. The only way this makes sense is if they say, "I want Doug Baldwin and I'm willing to pay." No way we shop him.

OP
OP
Coug_Hawk08

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
The authors on rotoworld go on to says we could get a 5th or 6th round pick for doug. Would be a horrible trade on our part if that is all we got.

The Radish

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":2ouaa0cz said:
The authors on rotoworld go on to says we could get a 5th or 6th round pick for doug. Would be a horrible trade on our part if that is all we got.

Just wait, someone will come along and point out a trade like this taking place in the long ago past working out in our favor. NOT!

:roll:

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
bestfightstory":wqxzpev0 said:
Smelly McUgly":wqxzpev0 said:
Baldwin in 4 WR sets and his salary that makes him basically free to us unless Grigson is offering a third or higher.

Agreement. He has third round value TO US, imo.

To Indy? Dunno.

I think he has even more value than that to us. If Sidney Rice or Golden Tate goes down, Harvin can be moved outside and Baldwin would be a capable slot receiver. If Harvin goes down, Baldwin can take his place in the slot. In a year where a Lombardi is a real possibility for this team, an extremely low-cost player that can attack downfield a bit, that can be aggressive in the slot, and that can be a plus-player if another starter goes down.

Unless we have an offer sheet ready for Victor Cruz (in other words, no chance), Baldwin's low-cost and high-value to the team mean that were I the GM, I wouldn't trade him for less than a high-second rounder...and even then, I would have to think about it.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
I disagree with Rotworld, I think we could probably get a 4th for Baldwin, particularly from a team like Indy who drafts in the back third of each round. That being said, my price would be 3rd round and I don't think anyone (Indy included) would go that high. The only way I take a 4th is if a conditional mid-rounder in 2014 is included as well.

Seriously doubt anything happens here, Baldwin is too valuable right where he is.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
There's no way this is going to happen. We are deadly with Rice, Tate, Harvin and Baldwin.

Only thing missing is a large WR...could come from already on the roster (like Stephen Williams) or in the draft, to balance it out.

Also, Doug is inexpensive - so his cap hit isn't an issue either.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The way Isray is tweeting I think it's likely to be a bigger name than Baldwin. The whole basis for this rampant speculation is that Stanford's former OC and Luck are now in Indy. But so what? Seems like 2+2=5.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I also saw a rumor that the Colts are putting in for Victor Cruz, he would make a ton more sense than Baldwin. Only way I see us trading Baldwin is if we have our eye on a few WR's in the 2nd or 3rd round that we are confident in, and can get at least a 4th in return for Baldwin. Baldwin is still cheap and offers us a solid WR who can fill in for Tate or Harvin. I do know we need at least 1 more Big Body (6'2+) Wr on the roster because too much hinges of Sidneys health if we don't have depth for him.

themunn

Reaction score
there is absolutely no reason to trade him for anything other than an overvalued draft pick.
he's on an undrafted rookie contract and his cap hit is around 500,000 this year.

Trading him just means drafting a replacement, which is daft. I could see trading Rice on his 7 million contract as a reasonable idea (albeit stupid, we're under the cap right now and that's all that matters. If you start trading players to make cap room in the FUTURE you'll regret it when the player you made the room to extend has a career ending injury and you're left without that player and the player you traded away).
And by overvalued pick I mean top 2 rounds. Do you really think there are better replacements in the 3rd round of this year's draft? Re-do the 2011 draft and Baldwin probably goes in the top 5 WRs taken (along with Julio Jones, AJ Green, Torrey Smith and Randall Cobb)

Axx

Reaction score
doug has stated in the past that him and Luck are good friends and communicate every now and then. THis may be one of the reasons why Indi is perusing him?