This year's free agents? Painless. Next year's? Oh boy...

Harperville

Reaction score
Free agents next year:

Breno Giacomini
Michael Robinson
Kam Chancellor
Michael Bennett
Paul McQuistan
Golden Tate
Brandon Browner
Doug Baldwin
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy
Dexter Davis
Lemuel Jeanpierre
Jeron Johnson
Michael Morgan
Charly Martin
Will Blackmon

Top half of that list are going to want to be paid. Can't keep them all. If I could keep three it would be Robinson, Chancellor and Browner. We are ridiculously loaded this year...time to get it done!

getnasty

Reaction score
I think you'll see guys like Red, Sydney, Clem having to take a pay cut or be cut next year to free up some money. Gonna be some tough decesions thats for sure.

McGruff

Reaction score
Harperville":2ymbr4bt said:
Free agents next year:

Breno Giacomini
Michael Robinson
Kam Chancellor
Michael Bennett
Paul McQuistan
Golden Tate
Brandon Browner
Doug Baldwin
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy
Dexter Davis
Lemuel Jeanpierre
Jeron Johnson
Michael Morgan
Charly Martin
Will Blackmon

Top half of that list are going to want to be paid. Can't keep them all. If I could keep three it would be Robinson, Chancellor and Browner. We are ridiculously loaded this year...time to get it done!

RFA's that are usually cheap and easy to re-sign on one year deals . . .

Baldwin
Browner
Johnson
Martin
Morgan

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
There's not one name on that list that I feel the team HAS to keep. These players fit the "nice to have" moreso than the "need to have" category.

Jac

Reaction score
On that list, Bennett actually might be the name I most want to keep. If he can bring pressure from DT/DE (as well as play the run), he makes 10 other guys on the defense even more effective. Chancellor is a tough call. We find ourselves in the Pittsburgh model of 'next man up'. Tate could have another incremental break-out year, so somebody (maybe us) is going to offer him at least a very good-sized contract. I think JS/PC are so good at finding corner prospects (which we'll see again in this year's draft), that Browner is in a tough spot. Everybody else on that list can be efficiently replaced or offered very reasonable deals.

grizbob

Reaction score
I'm not going to worry about next year unless we fail to get a S.B. victory this season ;)

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
If you're wondering where we might be going in the draft, the top half of that list might be a good clue.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Hawk Finn":10ue9yl8 said:
There's not one name on that list that I feel the team HAS to keep. These players fit the "nice to have" moreso than the "need to have" category.

That's my thinking. Maybe if Bennett impresses on his one-year deal, then he turns into a "must have" guy. But the rest of them seem relatively replaceable.

And we need to get used to that. There's going to start being turnover on our team. We'll hopefully keep all of our crucial, star players and as many of our solid contributors as we can, but we're going to start seeing familiar names depart in FA and through cuts while we continue to add via the draft and (sometimes) through FA.

The days of holding on to middling guys because we have no better options are gone.

penihawk

Reaction score
John Schneider's the man! Who the hell would of thought a couple of years ago when they purged our roster and made 500 roster moves that we would be sitting where we are today. Trust our FO and don't get emotionally attached to any one player other than #3 and it will be fine. This is a business and sometimes tough and questionable decisions have to and will be made. Not sure there is a better equipped FO in the league to do it going forward. Have faith in JS & PC, I do! :D

The Radish

Reaction score
I see this woe is me stuff all the time about what "may" happen.

Do people have so little belief in Pete & John you don't think they are pretty aware of that list and probably are working on taking care of it as we type?

:141847_bnono:

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Thats a long list, but hopefully John does work and gets the ones they want back re-signed.

grizbob

Reaction score
The Radish":pglm60lr said:

Do people have so little belief in Pete & John you don't think they are pretty aware of that list and probably are working on taking care of it as we type?

Yeah but, no way are they smarter than the collective that is .net :lol:

The Radish

Reaction score
grizbob":1z5g89qc said:
The Radish":1z5g89qc said:

Yeah but, no way are they smarter than the collective that is .net :lol:

.net members wish!!

And you know "if wishes were horses then beggers could ride".

:roll:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Schneider said during the Avril press conference that the team had a specific amount of money they were willing to spend on FA this year and a specific amount that went towards keeping their own players. I am sure a plan is not only in place but an outcome is in the works as we speak. They know who needs to be retained and who they can let go to get some compensatory picks.

This team drafts extremely well. I mean look at the guys who we think "HAVE" to be here for this team to be successful from that list:
Chancellor: 5th round pick
Browner: CFL FA
Tate: 2nd round pick
Robinson: FA

With this FO's track record in the draft and ability to find talent where no other teams can, I am confident if these players aren't retained, the new starters will be up for the task.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
The Radish":1b2ih1at said:

Brings to mind my favorite saying: Worry is interest paid on borrowed grief.

Let's take a closer look at that list once we edit out all the guys that could get cut tomorrow and we'd have forgotten them by next week:

Breno Giacomini
Michael Robinson
Kam Chancellor
Michael Bennett
Paul McQuistan
Golden Tate
Brandon Browner
Doug Baldwin
Walter Thurmond
Anthony McCoy

Breno Giacomini - Just how much money is Mr. Yellow Flag going to get on the free market? How irreplacable is he anyways? Half .net would hold a party if we cut this guy.

Michael Robinson - This guy is a fan favorite and we would dearly miss the Real Rob Report, but as far as FB's go, he's no Mack Strong. He's totally replacable.

Kam Chancellor - This guy singlehandedly kick started the whole Legion of Boom mentality on that secondary. But last year was a down year for Kam. He needs to get back to his old form this season. If he does, he's going to be hard to replace, if he doesn't, one has to consider that his bone crunching style took its toll on his body and it's time to part ways.

Paul McQuistan - yeah, that's HOF material right there [/sarcasm]. The guy's spot is a hole to fill and that's all. We'll probably draft for his replacement this year and next. there are plenty of Paul McQuistans in the NFL.

Golden Tate - I doubt we let this guy walk unless he takes a real step backwards this season. But if we do, I trust in P&J.

Brandon Browner - We did great when he was out. If we can resign him for a decent price, great, if not, next up.

Doug Baldwin - the guy had a great rookie year. Got derailed by injuries last year. If he stays healthy and shows he's still got what made him so great his first year, I can see him pushing Rice off the roster. Harvin's here to stay. By the same token, if Rice finally clicks with Wilson for a whole season, I could see Rice knock Baldwin off the roster. Either way, it's a great problem to have. Which stud receiver to pick? eenie meany, miny moe, let's kick Harbaugh in the Yo.

Walter Thurmond -- owes us a refund.

Anthony McCoy - good TE. We just signed Goliath for a TE. I think that says a lot about McCoy's likelihood of being resigned next year.

so when you get right down to it, the sky seems to be fully anchored overhead. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mjolnir

Reaction score
I agree with Hawkfan77.
Really, for all the love Kam gets around here, I'm not particularly (over) impressed. He is a decent safety who lays a good licking, but gets lost quite a bit out there. I am absolutely positive there is a lot of players in the future draft who will be as good or better. I'd rather save any huge monetary contracts when the time comes for only:

Wilson (duh)
Thomas
Sherman
Okung

That's it. I'm a believer that the draft can take care of any other need. Especially with the building track record this front office is showing us.

Throwdown

Reaction score
Chancellor, Tate, and Robinson are the only ones that are must keeps at this point IMO.