Obo is no mo'

pinksheets

Reaction score
Ben Obomanu ‏@obo87
#Seattle it's been grt! 7th rd pick & 7 good years for #87! Now for an opportunity to play and continue to live my dream. Thanks #12thMan

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
I know he's a dog around here, but I always appreciated Obomanu, and I'm glad he had a fairly decent career with us despite the long odds against his succeeding.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
Finally. No offense to Obo, but he wasn't worth keeping even last year. I wish him well wherever he ends up.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Not surprised but I liked Obomanu. I wish him well.

sutz

Reaction score
I always liked Ben, but it was time, I guess. The WR corps is getting pretty crowded at the top, now.

Good luck, Ben, wherever you land!

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Adios, Obamanu! Not ripping the guy-I need my memory jogged, here... In 7 years what are his most memorable plays/games?

Did he play pretty well vs Saints in playoffs??

Blitzer88

Reaction score
Fought for everything given to him. Like he said a 7th rd pick being on one team for 7 years is pretty amazing. God speed Obo, always appreciated your effort. He was just not worth the money that he was due to make anymore.

kidhawk

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":2hfn6l0l said:
I know he's a dog around here, but I always appreciated Obomanu, and I'm glad he had a fairly decent career with us despite the long odds against his succeeding.

I know I've called for his cut this season, but it's not due to any dislike or disdain. I truly liked him his whole time here. He just wasn't getting the playing time. When they started playing Martin at times last year, I saw the writing on the wall. I hope he catches on somewhere else and gets into the lineup more. Good guy. I wish him well.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
jlwaters1":avcci8d1 said:
Finally. No offense to Obo, but he wasn't worth keeping even last year. I wish him well wherever he ends up.

Sure he was.

He was out due to injury. But Tate's eruption onto the scene made him expendable. There was no guarantee that Golden would take that next step. If he failed to develop, Obomanu would have been our starting #2.

sutz

Reaction score
Blitzer88":3gb58hoq said:
Fought for everything given to him. Like he said a 7th rd pick being on one team for 7 years is pretty amazing. God speed Obo, always appreciated your effort. He was just not worth the money that he was due to make anymore.
I doubt if it was a money issue. More just counting heads. Not enough roster spots.

hedgehawk

Reaction score
Expected. Good luck to him. Actually a pretty cool story even though he never became a star or anything great.

mikeak

Reaction score
$500K signing bonus so very small cap hit ($125K) -- $2.3 million dollar salary - no brainer.

He made about $5 million over the past three years and more the four years before so he made a career and good money out of being a 7th rounder. Good for him, good for the team good luck elsewhere hope you get re-signed and make some more

Frozenropers

Reaction score
Obo's real value to the team was as a stud special teams gunner. He will be missed in that role. He was decent depth on the WR side, but his special teams play was great!

Unfortuantely, given where we are placing $$$ at these days he was making a bit too much based on his value as a special teams player. Such is the business.

Good Luck Obo!

kidhawk

Reaction score
sutz":8nnhkp46 said:
Blitzer88":8nnhkp46 said:
I doubt if it was a money issue. More just counting heads. Not enough roster spots.

Well money/spots issue. The guy was getting no playing time yet getting $2.5 million. One of those two things had to give. Since he wasn't going to get the playing time, the money was way to much.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
sutz":14v0ihe5 said:
Blitzer88":14v0ihe5 said:

If I may respectfully disagree, Seattle saves about 2.45M by cutting Obomanu. We are somewhere near (right up against?) the cap, so this money will come in handy for us.