In our last Dark Year

Worst move by the GM and coach we shall not name?

• Dropping Weaver for Justin Griffith

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • Signing Housh

Votes: 15 14.2%
  • Keeping 2 kickers and Cutting Mr. Bennett

Votes: 34 32.1%
  • Curry!!

Votes: 49 46.2%

• Total voters

tooshort

Reaction score
I shudder even thinking of the dark days only a few years ago. The moves were plentiful and most left me distraught. Which one had you screaming at your Tv/computer/significant other?

For me it was surely the "Weaver isn't worth $2mil" move :pukeface:

But Dropping our newest DE/DT weapon back then to keep 2 kickers was epic (in the context of epicly stupid).

Throwdown

Reaction score
Curry, We could've had Orakpo or any other pass rusher, but dude really got caught up in the Curry hype, so much so that he OPENED a hole by trading Peterson to get him.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Well hindsight is 20/20 , but damn near everyone was all over Currys Jock. "safest pick" and "best linebacker to come out of college in a decade" and blah blah blah. So as bad as that pick was you can pretty much take it off the list because no matter what your opinion of him was at that time, no one saw him being a complete, total and absolute bust. Anyone could have made that mistake.

There are other really bad mistakes that aren't listed here too like.... pisspoor attempts at replacing the best left guard of all time who left because of he-who-shall-not-be-named, or trading a 1st rounder for Deion Branch. Thinking that Julius Jones was the answer at RB. Drafting horribly damn near every single year, the list just goes on and on.

Picking just out of your poll choices here though I'd say dropping Weaver but thats just my personal opinion of course. I loved Weaver, hated seeing him go.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Curry, and it's not even close, IMO. As Bellinger points out though, EVERYONE had him ranked way too highly. If that disqualifies it in a manner of speaking, then dropping Weaver.

kearly

Reaction score
Uh, transition tag anyone?

Branch trade, Babin release, and ditching Arian Foster at the 7th round altar deserve mention as well.

Edit: Oh, you just mean in 2009? Curry by a landslide, with Foster, Babin, and Bennett all eating Curry's dust. We also got Unger that year and a pick that turned into Earl Thomas. It was a complicated offseason, to say the least.

kearly

Reaction score
bellingerga":3qelvoqw said:
Well hindsight is 20/20 , but damn near everyone was all over Currys Jock. "safest pick" and "best linebacker to come out of college in a decade" and blah blah blah. So as bad as that pick was you can pretty much take it off the list because no matter what your opinion of him was at that time, no one saw him being a complete, total and absolute bust. Anyone could have made that mistake.

There are other really bad mistakes that aren't listed here too like.... pisspoor attempts at replacing the best left guard of all time who left because of he-who-shall-not-be-named, or trading a 1st rounder for Deion Branch. Thinking that Julius Jones was the answer at RB. Drafting horribly damn near every single year, the list just goes on and on.

Picking just out of your poll choices here though I'd say dropping Weaver but thats just my personal opinion of course. I loved Weaver, hated seeing him go.

Every time someone mentions this I always have to re-tell the story.

It's funny, I think there were exactly 3 Seahawks fans that broke down Curry's tape and gave an independent informed opinion on him before that draft. English, Snohomie, and myself. We all hated Curry as a prospect and thought he was clearly fool's gold. I don't think any of us even viewed him as a 1st rounder.

Snohomie and myself flipped shit pretty badly when Seattle picked him. Some people around here remember it well, unfortunately for me.

Also, you know where the "safest player in the draft" label came from? Mel Kiper. I rest my case.

Shadyhawk182

Reaction score
They key here for me was " worst" move.
So i voted for the kicker/ Bennett move * which after today it isnt hard to talk about anymore*
They drafted Curry who many believed was the "safest" choice because he was the most NFL ready.
Yes they could of used it on someone else that could have the current team improved .BUT they could of got sanchez.
The dark road that sends the team down is so mind numbingly scary...He shines for the first few seasons...then just a drop off...the chaos the team would be in now....thats a story for another time.
The Curry thing could of led to MUCH worse situations.
id rather bite the bullet on that then what might have happened if they didnt get him.
But keeping a kicker over a young shining pass rusher...come on.

OP
OP
tooshort

tooshort

Reaction score
kearly":2h6z31dx said:
Uh, transition tag anyone?

Branch trade, Babin release, and ditching Arian Foster at the 7th round altar deserve mention as well.

Edit: Oh, you just mean in 2009? Curry by a landslide.

so you don't like us? Ruskell slams down phone VS Harvin,Avril,Bennett all lovin where they're going...It's a new day!

kearly

Reaction score
Funny thing about the Curry pick, as awful as it was, it helped get Tim Ruskell fired. Maybe if he takes Sanchez, maybe Ruskell gets a 2 year extension on account of a new QB. I don't know what the alternate timelines look like, but I have to believe it at least played a factor. If it did, you could argue that it was the best 1st round pick in the history of the franchise.

Also, we have a 5th rounder coming in this draft for Curry, in a year where a 5th feels an awful lot like a 3rd. We got a 7th last year- a pick that turned into JR Sweezy, who is already a more promising pro than Curry ever was.

muxpux

Reaction score
Of course curry is gonna win the vote. Hindsight is 20/20. But really. When it come to actual roster moves, on a team lacking big play makers, weaver was a beast. Plain and simple

chris98251

Reaction score
This question is like saying which of those dishes in the frige are you going to eat that have been sitting for three weeks in tupperware, moldy and all bad, some you just want to toss the tupperware and whats inside without braving the circumtsance to find out.

Throwdown

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":2ydd607c said:
Curry, and it's not even close, IMO. As Bellinger points out though, EVERYONE had him ranked way too highly. If that disqualifies it in a manner of speaking, then dropping Weaver.

Ruskell was being paid to be smarter than us, I don't see that as an excuse.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
The Curry pick was the worst, with Housch a close second.

However, the only good thing this regime did was trade our 2nd round pick to the Broncos in exchange for a 1st
round pick the next year. We then used this pick on Earl Thomas.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I find it amusing that Ruskell's worst and best moves came in the same draft: taking Curry and trading for an extra first rounder in 2010.

McGruff

Reaction score
McGruff":wl4hxc5b said:
Bennett was not related to the kicker thing.

Bennett actually made the final roster his rookie year. But he was cut early in the season due to injuries at OT. We cut him to sign LT Kyle Williams.

sutz

Reaction score
kearly":quqot0qq said:
Funny thing about the Curry pick, as awful as it was, it helped get Tim Ruskell fired. Maybe if he takes Sanchez, maybe Ruskell gets a 2 year extension on account of a new QB. I don't know what the alternate timelines look like, but I have to believe it at least played a factor. If it did, you could argue that it was the best 1st round pick in the history of the franchise.

Also, we have a 5th rounder coming in this draft for Curry, in a year where a 5th feels an awful lot like a 3rd. We got a 7th last year- a pick that turned into JR Sweezy, who is already a more promising pro than Curry ever was.
Except, Tim wasn't fired, he quit before the end of the season, which left Mora twisting in the wind and the players all wondering why they should care when the front office was so screwed up. If Timmay hadn't hit the door early, Mora might have gotten another season, which would have delayed Pete's arrival, maybe permanently.

IAE, I consider draft busts somewhat understandable in the shit happens category,and FAs disappoint all the time, especially in Seattle, so I had to go with the 2 kickers fiasco. At the time I remember somewhat understanding the idea behind the 2 kicker reasoning, but losing Bennett sucked big time. Was there no one else they could have cut?